Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conor vs Mayweather

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Conor vs Mayweather

Ok this is picking up steam and is becoming a thing. This is definitely some Antonio Inoki shit. How do you feel about this? Who wins?

Edit: They are talking about this on ESPN First Take, they segued into Rocky vs Thunderlips and now they are talking about Ali vs Inoki. Awesome.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 05-09-2016 at 11:12 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Conor vs Mayweather

A. McGregor is under UFC Contract

And that pretty much is all that needs to be said
    Now you're on the field callin' me an asshole, 'Cause I roped up your body like a lasso

And I could be just like Mr. HK, runnin' cause a melee
    Bring my team a W, I'm poppin' shots like Pele

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh yeah, it's not happening. For those that didn't know there was a British tabloid that reported this, from what I gather it was one of those grocery store bullshit newsletters like the ones we have here saying the Loch Ness monster is real and Elvis is still alive. Both Conor and Mayweather are running with it though, I think Conor posted that poster on twitter and Mayweather when asked about it said that it was possible, it's not just a rumor. Would Mayweather be disrespecting the sport of boxing by taking a fight like this? Some are saying that it would be steeping to a low level, as if MMA was beneath Boxing. Mayweather himself is even trolling everyone with this, obviously just to generate buzz and get his name out there for this week. Is MMA really that far beneath Boxing if Mayweather constantly mentions it to get publicity?

Wonder how Mayweather would do if he trained a little bit of grappling and tried an MMA fight. Probably not very good. I don't think Conor would do very well in a boxing match against Mayweather either. You never know though until it happens.

Beat the Devil out of it Leper Messiah's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post

Wonder how Mayweather would do if he trained a little bit of grappling and tried an MMA fight. Probably not very good. I don't think Conor would do very well in a boxing match against Mayweather either. You never know though until it happens.
    That's my theory on it. MMA would throw a lot more at Mayweather than boxing does, but in a boxing match, Mayweather would usually when by moving quick and racking up fast punches, and I not sure if McGregor would be up to that speed regularly. Always a fun thing to think about though.

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, it's not happening at all, the Sun is notorious for being a horrible newspaper.

If it's a boxing fight, Floyd wins pretty easily. He's the best boxer of his generation and one of the GOATs, he'd embarrass Conor pretty easily.

They still play defense? The Real LT's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it's a boxing match, Conor gets KO'ed in Round 1.

If's an MMA match, Conor will likely be stupid enough to try and stand with Floyd and STILL get KO'ed in Round 1....

vCash
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Connor is naturally much bigger. Mayweather's style doesn't make for making this any good for Floyd. Connor would implode with frustration on trying to hit Floyd.

I hate to throw the stone against Floyd like this, but when was the last time Floyd Ko'd anyone or even scored a knockdown. Seems so long.

And I don't think the guy who retired from MMA is still under contract with the UFC. Probably did it to get out of contracts.
    I am your God

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Theend View Post
    Connor is naturally much bigger. Mayweather's style doesn't make for making this any good for Floyd. Connor would implode with frustration on trying to hit Floyd.

I hate to throw the stone against Floyd like this, but when was the last time Floyd Ko'd anyone or even scored a knockdown. Seems so long.

And I don't think the guy who retired from MMA is still under contract with the UFC. Probably did it to get out of contracts.
    He's not retired from the UFC and he is still under contract to them.

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hypothetically, if it wasn't complete bullshit...

A boxing match is no contest, and I assume that'd be the absolute only way Mayweather would even consider it, he'd never put himself in a position where he'd be the underdog, he, if anything, would just want to "prove" that MMA fighters are inferior, I'd say.

But in an MMA fight, Mayweather would go down, a hug gets ya kneed in the stomach in MMA, and Conor could use kicks to help nullify Money's hand skill, then there's grappling.

That being said, Money has a better chance dropping Conor in MMA than Conor does besting Mayweather in boxing. Payday is the only possible reason I could see Conor fighting Floyd.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Dynamite
    Sometimes a terrible idea is the best idea you got, and one thing I've learned, is always go with the best idea you got.

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is picking up steam again, with Conor getting a boxing license in Cali recently. They were talking about this on ESPN on that one show with Tony Cornhieser and the other guy(not a big fan of these guys ever since they ran down Sean Taylor like a piece of shit thug that had it coming after he got murdered in his home back in 07), they were saying that there is so much money behind this that it could very well happen, and they brushed off Conor as a joke that would get knocked out in seconds even if Floyd came in without training. I grew up as a big boxing fan, still am a fan of the old fights and fighters but I would really like to see this fight happen and would really like to see Conor shock the world. I think he can do it. How huge would that be for the sport of MMA for Conor to shut up all of the haters that talk about MMA like it's a second class combat sport. Also on that show today they compared this again to Ali vs Inok, as if MMA is like a pro wrestling type of white trash deal(it is).

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
    This is picking up steam again, with Conor getting a boxing license in Cali recently. They were talking about this on ESPN on that one show with Tony Cornhieser and the other guy(not a big fan of these guys ever since they ran down Sean Taylor like a piece of shit thug that had it coming after he got murdered in his home back in 07), they were saying that there is so much money behind this that it could very well happen, and they brushed off Conor as a joke that would get knocked out in seconds even if Floyd came in without training. I grew up as a big boxing fan, still am a fan of the old fights and fighters but I would really like to see this fight happen and would really like to see Conor shock the world. I think he can do it. How huge would that be for the sport of MMA for Conor to shut up all of the haters that talk about MMA like it's a second class combat sport. Also on that show today they compared this again to Ali vs Inok, as if MMA is like a pro wrestling type of white trash deal(it is).
    Connor throws punches from really odd angles, and southpaws connect on Floyd more, because his shoulder roll was made to roll away from right handed power shots (Floyd usually audibles to a more traditional high guard against southpaws, which diminishes his counter punching prowess). With that being said, Connor would have to get lucky with a power shot, because that's his only chance, and yes, I think that would be the most important moment in MMA's history if it were to happen.

I want this fight to happen so bad. I think Floyd would slice him up, and it would be like light sparring for him, but the excitement of the unknown, and the build up to this fight, would be glorious.

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just think about the promos and press conferences with these two going at it, it would be unreal. They have to do this.

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what I read, he got the boxing license in California because he'd be able to enact the Ali Act, whereby he could technically nullify his contract with the UFC in order to fight Floyd (Floyd isn't going to fight anywhere but Vegas really and McGregor would still need a license there along with paying off his fine/doing those anti-bullying video things the commission still wants him to do for the water bottle stuff)

Easier said than done obviously as if it went to court, the UFC would do everything to tie him up and keep him under contract (he'd also have to prove abuse from the promotor) but if he could get out of contract and fight Floyd, goddamn. Still think Floyd isn't going to lose to a guy with no pro boxing fights and would handily destroy McGregor but goddamn if McGregor managed to knock him out somehow ...

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And the UFC still wouldn't strip him. I mean, look how damn long it took for them to do it with a title he hadn't once defended.
    Now you're on the field callin' me an asshole, 'Cause I roped up your body like a lasso

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SensesFailed View Post
    And the UFC still wouldn't strip him. I mean, look how damn long it took for them to do it with a title he hadn't once defended.
    There was a reason they didn't strip him of the 145 sooner, Dana had a boner for Connor holding 2 belts up. Mad publicity. Once he did that and got all the press it was an easy decision. Not to mention stripping him also garnered more press. Win - Win.

Banner Credit: Spike

vCash
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really don't want this fight. Floyd is so boring in ring. I am a huge boxing fan. But floyd is horrible tv.
    I am your God

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This fight is becoming a reality: http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Rep...erfight-117343

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still think it's a bad idea for Conor (I mean, except it'll be bank), but it would be great if he could could land one great punch and floor Mayweather, just to shut up boxing elitists.

Sometimes a terrible idea is the best idea you got, and one thing I've learned, is always go with the best idea you got.

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's like the sport of MMA has been building up to this ever since the beginning. It's funny to me how MMA fans/Conor haters are more worried about him defending his belt against Khabib or Furgeson, those guys are like fleas on a dogs nuts compared to what a Mayweather fight would mean.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because.. he's a champion in MMA and hasn't defended a fucking title yet... You know, could just be a fucking thought.

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still gotta give him a bit of credit for ambition, despite not yet defending a title, first he went up to a bigger stronger weight class, now he's challenging one of the top athletes of a completely different sport. He's certainly not taking the path of least resistance.

vCash
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find it comical to think that Conor could draw on a level that would make it worth Floyd's hassle. In all reality boxing is still global and MMA is still regional. There are better and bigger drawing fights in boxing for Floyd that would make him more money than Conor and he isn't wasting his time.

I just don't see the interest in this for Floyd at all. Conor has everything to gain. If I was Floyd I wouldn't waste my time replying to any of this.

If it did ever happen I predict that Floyd would frustrate Conor to the point that Conor would probably earn himself a DQ.

As a boxing elitist this match is irrelevant. A larger person in Conor who is currently active fighting fights a boxer who hasn't fought a competitive fight since 2014. Crushing the aged Pacman and the nothing Berto meant nothing. Conor fighting GGG would be thousand times more interesting. Stipe vs Klitschko would be a million times more interesting to me. Fighting any fighter who has current KO power at any given time would be instantly so much more interesting.
    Last edited by Theend; 02-17-2017 at 01:17 PM.
    I am your God

Fo fo fo fo... for life patrick94's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Theend View Post
    I find it comical to think that Conor could draw on a level that would make it worth Floyd's hassle. In all reality boxing is still global and MMA is still regional. There are better and bigger drawing fights in boxing for Floyd that would make him more money than Conor and he isn't wasting his time.

I just don't see the interest in this for Floyd at all. Conor has everything to gain. If I was Floyd I wouldn't waste my time replying to any of this.
    I think you're underestimating the kind of global reach MMA, and more specifically Conor has a tad bit. As to why Floyd would waste his time with Conor. I think it's pretty simple. He doesn't take him seriously. He sees this as an easy fight, and easy money. All the while in an MMA/boxing clash that has the potential to be a historical occasion
    "Pro wrestling is the greatest sport in the world"- Shinsuke Nakamura.

vCash
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please, show me this global reach of MMA. And more specifically Conor. Show me how this could be a bigger fight than a rematch with Pac Man.
    I am your God

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I definitely think Conor vs Mayweather would do bigger business than a Pac Man rematch, the first Mayweather vs Pac fight was kind of a disappointment was the impression I got from the reactions(I enjoyed the fight, probably wouldn't pay $60 to watch a rematch though), Mayweather's last fight was a flop on PPV, each of Conor's last few fights were over 1 million buys, vs Aldo 1,025,000, vs Diaz 1,317,000, vs Diaz 2 did 1,650,000, vs Eddie Alvarez 1,300,000. Mayweather's last fight did somewhere between 400,000-500,000. The build up with Conor and Mayweather cutting promos on each other, plus the whole freak show spectacle and MMA vs Boxing angle(which has been building for a long time, going back to Mayweather trash talking MMA a decade ago), I'd bet their fight would easily do over 3 millions buys, maybe over 4 million. I don't think there is anyone in boxing that would do that type of business against Mayweather right now. I could be wrong though, I'm no expert.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 02-24-2017 at 08:18 AM.

Thread Information