Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ongoing NXT Thoughts Thread

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Ongoing NXT Thoughts Thread

Apollo Crews is not the "total package." And wanting him to come up and join New Day is He's good, and one day he'll be great but the Corbin feud and Finn series showed his weaknesses pretty badly. He also needs more of a personality besides "muscle guy who jumps and smiles alot." When he lost to Corbin and promised to take time off and re-find himself I hoped he would come back with something new but then he challenged Finn to a rematch and everything was exactly the same.

He needs to stay in NXT until he can get an actual character.

Making snow angels The Main Event's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Havokwolf View Post
    Apollo Crews is not the "total package." And wanting him to come up and join New Day is He's good, and one day he'll be great but the Corbin feud and Finn series showed his weaknesses pretty badly. He also needs more of a personality besides "muscle guy who jumps and smiles alot." When he lost to Corbin and promised to take time off and re-find himself I hoped he would come back with something new but then he challenged Finn to a rematch and everything was exactly the same.

It's funny, he's actually pretty perfect for Raw/Smackdown right now where there aren't many characters. He fits that style more than NXT in a sense. I'm not sure what the right character would be for Apollo honestly. I don't hate him being the freak athlete that doesn't have to say much, but same time it does get a bit repetitive especially when you have that on main roster with Lesnar owning that style.

THIS AWWWWWWESOME BANNER MADE BY SPIKE

I'M BACK BAYBAY!!!

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaye88 View Post
    Oh right, forgot about that. But still, he was largely non-descript in the feud even in the more recent set of tapings when he's been wrestling fine. As I said in my earlier point, even backstage segments or doing commentary during the series of Joe-Zayn-Corbin matches could've helped with visibility during the build-up.
    I think NXT was a little more focused on keeping his injury secret, besides I actually enjoyed the build up with Zayn and Joe...although I can understand your POV.

Making snow angels The Main Event's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it was just to hide Balor's injury, I think they just wanted to have the Zayn/Joe feud and they did just have a pretty long run since the last Takeover. Plus there's not a whole lot they could do with Joe/Finn right now in a build to a rematch to fill 3 months of programming.

THIS AWWWWWWESOME BANNER MADE BY SPIKE

I'M BACK BAYBAY!!!

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Gargano vs Samson was the first Elias Samson match I watched in full because I find him so unbearably dull. Great to see Gargano pick up a win, but I'm not sure it will amount to anything because it was clearly just cannon fodder for the rather random Samson/Crews match.

Quote Originally Posted by The Main Event View Post
    - Finn Balor, love him....but I feel like he's in a bit of a rut lately. There hasn't been a lot of character development (which is hard to do when your original character is next level) and his matches have become a bit paint-by-numbers on TV lately. He's in a select group of guys in the business that I have full faith could fix it within a day, but it's starting to get a bit flat.
    Finn Balor has been paint-by-numbers ever since he debuted. The match with Rich Swann is actually one of my favourite Balor matches because it was kinda different. And because Swann's burst of offense was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by The Main Event View Post
    3 - Am I the only person that misses Blake and Murphy being more than Alexa's lackeys? They were starting to show more personality and be more entertaining, and then bam....demoted to valet status
    I prefer Blake and Murphy being managers to watching them wrestle. I like that they both wrestle full time and manage each other, it's a wrestling relationship I've not seen before, but Bliss is far better than both Blake and Murphy combined IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcone View Post
    So, No Way Jose is Manny Garcia? Then I am 100% on board with this. He'll more than likely be NXT's next top heel.
    If that horrendous No Way Jose song is his entrance music then he's already the top NXT heel for me.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
    I prefer Blake and Murphy being managers to watching them wrestle. I like that they both wrestle full time and manage each other, it's a wrestling relationship I've not seen before, but Bliss is far better than both Blake and Murphy combined IMO.
    Agreed with this. The standout personality-wise of the BAMF is definitely Bliss, but Blake and Murphy as her 60's era Batman henchmen is amazing on its own and they shouldn't be anything else until the WWE decides to break them apart from each other.

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Day would force him to get a character, or well, not have a character and just be himself. I am not saying debut him on his own. But with New Day all his shortcoming will be covered by the other guys. In the indies he always had a group and that is what works best for him. Whether it was Blood Warriors or Mad Blankey, excelled.

As for finding a selling character in NXT, it is really not likely. A few guys did it and had it work well, but when guys like Switchblade Sami and The Best in the World Chris Hero return to the indies because WWE did not like their gimmicks, it does not leave me much hope for the newer crowd. Moreso now the Dusty is gone. Love him or hate him, when Vince tried to ruin Dusty, he turned the gimmick on Vince and got it super over.

Flowers gathered in the morning,
    Afternoon they blossom on,
    Still are withered by the evening:
    You can be me when I'm gone.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Engel View Post
    New Day would force him to get a character, or well, not have a character and just be himself. I am not saying debut him on his own. But with New Day all his shortcoming will be covered by the other guys. In the indies he always had a group and that is what works best for him. Whether it was Blood Warriors or Mad Blankey, excelled.

As for finding a selling character in NXT, it is really not likely. A few guys did it and had it work well, but when guys like Switchblade Sami and The Best in the World Chris Hero return to the indies because WWE did not like their gimmicks, it does not leave me much hope for the newer crowd. Moreso now the Dusty is gone. Love him or hate him, when Vince tried to ruin Dusty, he turned the gimmick on Vince and got it super over.
    He does not fit New Day's brand of comedy or personality in the slightest. "Forcing" him into a character is not going to help.

And that says more about Solomon Crowe and Hero than it does about NXT. There's plenty of good characters in NXT right now.

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He does not fit New Day's brand of comedy or personality in the slightest. "Forcing" him into a character is not going to help.

And that says more about Solomon Crowe and Hero than it does about NXT. There's plenty of good characters in NXT right now.
    In the slightest? Did you watch any of his Independent stuff, by any chance? He was not just this bruising, muscled guy.

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Not the greatest go-home show ever, just a bunch of squash matches, but it did a good enough job of building up the major players of TakeOver: Dallas. The highlights were seeing The Revival wrestle in the first time in weeks, and Sami Zayn's promo concerning his match with Nakamura. Pretty short promo but did an excellent job of giving some purpose and meaning to a match that was just thrown together. I even enjoyed Baron Corbin's promo concerning Austin Aries. He's improving.

vCash
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really wish AA and Revival (not sold on the name tbh) had interaction leading up to the match. Makes me think they might retain, but then again they kept going over Cass and Enzo so you don't wanna repeat that. And unlike them AA seem to get the job done in the ring.

Then again with the exception of Joe/Finn they've kept opponents apart for the most part. Maybe it's to keep things special for when they do meet?

In any event I hope the next set of tapings are more exciting. I'm debating on going strictly Takeover as I was skipping A LOT between now and London.

I <3 JESUS

vCash
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So NXT is coming to my area in May. Anyone want to give me a recommendation on going or not.

What's the likelihood of seeing Samoa Joe? About how long are the live shows?

I'm about as passive as any wrestling fan there is out there. I watch it from time to time (maybe once every six months). I like it enough but just don't have the time to keep up anymore. I have the day off from work. Good use of $100 and a day off? Or pass?
    Follower of Christ.

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent character development for Balor tonight! He discovered the colour Blue!

Quote Originally Posted by TJ Wyoming
    Maybe so, but at least I'm not a fucking loser. You and your country is our bitch! Been that way for a couple of centuries. And Canada (technically part of your "empire") is our bitch which makes Owens our bitch. Deal with it.
    Don't worry, he's only making PW great again

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So after that debut, how long does Nakamura stay in NXT?

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be surprised if he doesn't debut on the RAW after Mania.

Maybe so, but at least I'm not a fucking loser. You and your country is our bitch! Been that way for a couple of centuries. And Canada (technically part of your "empire") is our bitch which makes Owens our bitch. Deal with it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why is Bálor still NXT Champion and who made the decision for him to retain?

vCash
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Falcone View Post
    Excellent character development for Balor tonight! He discovered the colour Blue!
    and a chainsaw for some reason. Don't forget the chainsaw.
    surrender

First Ever PW Heavyweight Champion!

vCash
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The chainsaw thing was cool, considering the Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

I don't understand why Joe didn't win. He should have won. There is no reason for him to have lost.

Big thanks to Surrender!

PW Accolades

Spoiler

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Dazz View Post

I don't understand why Joe didn't win. He should have won. There is no reason for him to have lost.
    I watched the pre-show, and Mauro Ranallo repeatedly mentioned various feuds in combat sports that go to a trilogy. I imagine Joe/Balor will have one more match, No DQ or something.

Either that, or Joe's going to the main roster VERY soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by mx518
    he's one of the biggest smarks on this board and epitomizes everything that a smark actually is.
    Quote Originally Posted by mx518 View Post
    No, it's just called being realistic; I never thought I'd see DJM join the dark side.
    NOBODY PUTS BABY IN A CORNER!

vCash
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there really room for Joe on the main roster right now? I don't think so, honestly. I really don't want to see another Joe/Finn match, but at this point it has to happen, with Joe winning it. It just needs too. NXT works better when a heel is champ, and there's a chase. They do those stories so well.

Also, if they tape any of those NXT events from Ireland and England, can they please do Asuka vs Becky somehow? And, in some dream world, could it be a special champion vs champion match?

Big thanks to Surrender!

PW Accolades

Spoiler

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Little late to the Apollo Crews discussion but for me personally I think he has the potential to be John Cena 2.0. He has a fantastic look, can go in the ring but lacks a identity. I think he can play the goody two shoes baby face to perfection if given the chance. Now I'm not saying seeing another Cena is the way to go but Vince is hellbent on always having a Cenaesque character and rather than Reigns I think Apollo could be that while Roman is his antagonist

“I am not threatened by any man whose name is three letters.”

- Damien Sandow
    in response to RVD's return

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Djm View Post
    I watched the pre-show, and Mauro Ranallo repeatedly mentioned various feuds in combat sports that go to a trilogy. I imagine Joe/Balor will have one more match, No DQ or something.

Either that, or Joe's going to the main roster VERY soon.
    My first thought was that this means he'll get called up soon, but I think it's much more likely they do Finn/Joe III, have Joe win the title, then his last act in NXT is to put over Baron Corbin in a feud.

With Gallows and Anderson apparently showing up soon, it sounds like Finn will be joining the WWE roster soon too. They keep the title on him for that little extra recognition (much like when Owens had the title and showed up to face John Cena) then he drops it before going to the WWE full time.

vCash
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do wonder how they'll get to Joe/Finn III after two clean losses. But at the same time I don't know who else to challenge really, so they could easily just have Joe run through people or Finn in order to goad him into a hardcore-esque match. We do need some fresh challengers.

Healthy Hideo, yet?

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Dazz View Post

I'm guessing they really want Balor to turn heel and drop it to Hideo if they really wanna go the "Balor injured him last year" route.

But once again, Samoa Joe was defeated via the power of Facepaint.

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, Deej, guess what?

Spoiler

Thread Information