Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steve Austin Month

vCash
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Steve Austin Month

It's March of 2016. That's 3/16, every single day, son. I thought we should celebrate the GOAT somehow. I'm a terrible curator, so I'll need some help, but I thought I'd get things started, somewhat chronologically, with "Stunning" Steve Austin's USWA Memphis debut.

Spoiler

Austin's already above average on the stick (which is further evidence, that you either got it or you don't), and has lofty goals for a rookie -- "I want people to start looking at me, as the greatest, wrestler, ever" -- Well goddamn, Steve. You would go on to do that. But not on that night. They give him a pretty shitty debut as (the non dangerous) Danny Davis, kicks his ass, while a (non Dangerous Danny Davis) crooked ref (Jamie Dundee!), prevents Steve from losing. Way to neuter a top heel on his first night.

Austin's Memphis pay

Austin famously lived off of canned tuna fish and potatoes during these lean times, paying his dues, while resenting the boss' kid, Jeff Jarrett, a little bit, who wasn't. I believe this is even after his Chris Adams feud in Texas, which was well received, and what got WCW interested in him. So at this point, Austin is the PWI Rookie of the Year, and a few months away from debuting in WCW, getting about $30 bucks a match.

I haven't seen much of the Chris Adams feud (I did see a Barbed Wire match they had, which I assure you, is not as cool as it sounds), but were any of their matches legitimately good? I think we should talk about Austin's WCW run too, which tends to be glossed over due to the massive WWF success. Even the brief (awesome) ECW run gets mentioned more than Stunning Steve in WCW these days. Young Austin was clearly good, but would you have seen Top Tier Draw of all time, by looking at this dude debuting in Memphis? I don't think I would have.

r.i.p. dogs playing poker

ExOfEx

Default Re: Steve Austin Month

I seen Austin vs. Adams and it had its moments like a lot of "teacher vs. student" rivalries do. Chris Adams by the way is very unheralded in my opinion, not a bad performer at all. The first time I honestly could see Austin as being a guy that could be a top champ was when he was feuding with Steamboat in WCW. Even though he had been on the scene for a while, it was against Steamboat where he looked like a guy that could be viable or taken serious.

vCash
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool idea. Here is Austin's very first match. It's young "Stunning" Steve vs. the awesomely named Frogman La Blanc from the Texas branch of USWA.

Spoiler

vCash
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With Austin vs. Frogman, that's how you make a debut. He cuts a good promo, introduces his lady friend, his lady friend is instantly revealed to have a history with Gentleman Chris Adams, all while Austin squashes himself a fantastically named Cajun. Who knew Steve Austin ever used a Samoan Drop as a finisher? Post match-promo, "Blondes have more fun, and we're on our way to the top!" Oh, hell yeah.

Cagematch, and IWDB doesn't have any of the USWA Texas stuff documented, so I'm not sure about the order of any the Chris Adams feud. I assumed this was before Lady Blossom showed up, because I don't see her here, but she was apparently with him on night one, so who knows? Anyway, it's Steve Austin and Percy Pringle (Paul Bearer) vs. Chris Adams and Chris Von Erich.

Spoiler

Austin and Pringle do some high quality heel work. Austin obnoxiously saying "Hi Mom" to the camera, caught me off guard, and made me chuckle, and Pringle really was a great mix between a Bobby Heenan kind of a heel, and well, Paul Bearer. I was never the biggest Bearer fan, but Pringle is alright by me. Him getting the better of Chris Von Erich, and yelling into the camera, "I told you, Fritz," is everything you want from a manager pretending to be a wrestler. Also, Chris Von Erich is even worse than his already bad reputation. I think I always assumed, he got a bad rap, because his brothers were so good, and it was an unfair comparison, but Chris is legitimately bad in every conceivable way. They tease an Austin-Adams encounter through most of the match, and Austin bumps fantastically for him, when they finally face each other. Just about everybody that posts here knows what a great bumper Austin was, but he's probably underrated by most others, just because his best work on that front was pre-Stone Cold. He bumped like a rugged Nature Boy, with more explosion. Pringle takes the pin, protecting everybody involved, and Austin gets some cheap shots on the winners after the bell. Austin is showing major star potential already. He's not nearly as snug as his WCW run yet, but he moves around charismatically, and is already a ring general. It's pretty amazing because he can't have many matches under his belt yet. He should probably be much greener than he is. "The Prodigy" Steve Austin.

Yang Xiao Long fangirl Mistress's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surprised they aren't doing this on The Network

Thank you Surrender!!!
    Voted Co-Most Underrated Nerdery Poster of 2014 (With Raven*)
    If prowrestling were fake, it would make every fan in the history of the sport a complete & utter moron - Monty Burns

vCash
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright, I finally have a little time to write.

Austin's USWA Tennessee debut was horrible. Forget the fact that Austin went on to become the biggest star of his era, and perhaps of any era. A sane promotion wouldn't introduce any heel they had plans for (and USWA clearly had plans for Austin) in that jobberific fashion. He was treated as arguably the 5th most important person in that match. New guys are supposed to win. They are not supposed to look like schmucks against "The Lesser" Danny Davis. The Lesser Danny Davis, referee Jamie Dundee, Jeannie, and matchmaker Eddie Marlin all came out of that debacle seeming more important than the new heel you want to push. I'm just going to assume my man Double J had a hand in this booking atrocity and that is what lead to Austin's lifelong dislike of Jarrett.

Danny Davis had an above average Rude Awakening. Jamie Dundee had a terrible haircut. Austin had a great look and already had an idea how to play heel. He kept doing that Granny-style "rub your fingers together saying tsk tsk" thing. It's no middle fingers and a "Hell Yeah" but at least it's a start.

I probably saw some snippets of the Austin/Adams feud way back in the day on one of those alphabet soup promotions grainy DC Channel 50 used to air every weeknight at 6 pm without actually remembering anything about it. It is a highly regarded feud though. It got hyped up pretty big in the Apter Mags (#4 Feud of the Year in 1990) and I reckon the Observer too.

Youtube commenters (never a shining display of humanity) seem conflicted on whether Austin vs. Frogman was Austin's "real" first match. Well, I heard directly from Austin himself back in 1996 that it was. Some guy who called the wrestling radio show I listened to said he had been an Austin fan since he saw him wrestle Frogman LeBlanc. That little conversation always stuck with me for a few reasons....

1. Austin seemed genuinely touched by this caller. Keep in mind this was late 1996 and Austin was in full kayfabe "Stone Cold" persona. But that call threw him for a loop. He briefly broke kayfabe. Maybe just 30 seconds or a minute, but he did. He mentioned how that was his first match and I want to say he put over the Frogman and even thanked the fan for supporting him over the years. I'd pay good money to find those old radio shows. Somebody hook me up.

2. The opponent's name was Frogman LeBlanc. That is not a name I am ever likely to forget.

Frogman LeBlanc's entry at Online World of Wrestling is too good not to share....

Quote Originally Posted by Online World of Wrestling
    -Frogman Lablanc used to wear green and hop around the ring like a frog before getting squashed.
    -Frogman Leblanc’s claim to fame is being the first ever opponent to a young up-and-comer named Steve Austin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Bearer
    [Frogman Leblanc] started at The Sportatorium during the time I was there. My only vivid recollection is that WCCW was running a couple of Louisiana towns, near where he was from. During his match as he was getting beat down, his brother ran in out of the crowd (unplanned of course) and the guy he was working with broke his brother’s arm.
    http://www.onlineworldofwrestling.co...ogman-leblanc/

Frogman LeBlanc kind of looks like a cross between my dad and Spike Dudley.

This was miles better than that Austin vs. Other Danny Davis mess. Worst thing about this was the sluggish old ref who is probably longtime World Class staple Bronco Lubich. Marc Lowrance(?) on commentary had a few 'wtf' lines and annoyed me by calling Jeannie "Jean." I know it's not a big thing but stuff like that gets my goat. Say what you will about McMahon micromanagement but it keeps everybody on the same page. Anyway, now I know why we never saw Austin execute a butterfly suplex or Samoan Drop. Neither move looked particularly well done. I liked the stuff with Jeanie & Adams. Gives the folks a reason to care....a reason to tune in next week. Crowd was also good. I mean you gotta love a crowd who will get behind Frogman LeBlanc. I definitely heard a few "Froggy" chants.

It's easy to see why Austin got snapped up by WCW so quickly. He had The Look, got the concept of playing heel, and had a certain presence even back in his early days.

I fully endorse this 31 Days of Austin project. I'll watch the tag match later and try chiming in as much as possible for as long as this continues.

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Austin has talked about his debut with Frogman on his podcast. Of course, given his perfectionism, Austin thinks it is a terrible match. I thought it was pretty good, certainly an above average debut, but as has been mentioned, the double-armed suplex and samoan drop were pretty poorly executed. But I guess they are pretty advanced moves for someone who's just come out of training.

The tag match was odd, and not just because Paul Bearer with white hair was wrestling. Given how the match was worked, I assume Chris von Erich and Percy Pringle were both managers acting as wrestlers for that one match. Pringle in particular looked especially awkward and clumsy in the ring. I don't think Chris von Erich is anyway near as bad as everyone's saying he is, but I'm assuming he's either a jobber or a non-wrestler since he tagged in only to try and cover Steve Austin, presumably as an attempt to humiliate him. When Austin and Adams were in the ring, the match was pretty excellent. Austin is a great bumper, and he has very good heel instincts and a great mean streak.

vCash
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't think Austin/Frogman was great or anything. Just sensible and much better than Austin vs. Other Danny Davis.

I'm with Kilgore on Percy Pringle > Paul Bearer

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
    I don't think Chris von Erich is anyway near as bad as everyone's saying he is, but I'm assuming he's either a jobber or a non-wrestler since he tagged in only to try and cover Steve Austin
    That's the problem. He wrestled like a manager/jobber when he's supposed to be this legit wrestler getting a strong push because of his Von Erich last name. I had never seen Chris Von Erich before this and I have to side with his critics. He did not wrestle like a top up-and-coming babyface.

Austin always had lousy punches. I think it's in his book where he talks about Marc Lowrance(?) criticizing his punches back in the day. They meet ten years later when Austin is on top of the world. Austin's basically like "I'm the man" but Lowrance (or whoever it was) is like "yeah, but your punches still suck." Burn.

Austin's meanness and the red hot crowd were the highlight of Austin & Percy vs. CVE & Adams.

And here is something completely different. Austin wrestling under his real name as a babyface jobber in USWA Texas. His opponent? A masked, ponytailed, Demolition-looking, young Undertaker. Not much to this, though I liked the back suplex. Commentary announces Dustin Rhodes will make his debut next week. This promotion had AE staples Austin, Undertaker, Foley, Dustin and Jarrett all at more or less the same and went out of business. Wrestling is weird.

vCash
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a fun fact, Frogman LaBlanc lives about 5 miles down the road from me. He is a local legend and a very friendly guy. I hear he is wheel chair bound now and lives a very quiet life but down here he will always be known as the guy who gave Stone Cold Steve Austin his first match. Not a bad way to be remembered.

All credit goes to surrender!

vCash
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baker View Post
    Austin always had lousy punches. I think it's in his book where he talks about Marc Lowrance(?) criticizing his punches back in the day. They meet ten years later when Austin is on top of the world. Austin's basically like "I'm the man" but Lowrance (or whoever it was) is like "yeah, but your punches still suck." Burn.

Austin's meanness and the red hot crowd were the highlight of Austin & Percy vs. CVE & Adams.
    I love that because I have always shit on Austins punches. They always looked so weak and crappy; especially the last few months of his career.

They still play defense? The Real LT's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a young Austin vs. a young Taker.

vCash
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO, the Stone Cold character is one of the most entertaining characters in WWE history.

Thank You Stone Cold For Everything.

vCash
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Hell, don't get me wrong honey, if I could rustle up a five dollar bill and a clothes pin to put over my nose, I might just give you a try". Happy 3:16!

ECW: Fuck The Bullshit

≡≡≡≡|≡≡≡≡

vCash
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So at a bar on rodeo drive, drinking (heavily) while waiting for my wife, and not having enough self awareness to start off a pro wrestling message board on my phone, and I know it's not really pertaining to the trend of discussing the early days of Austin's career, but since it's 3:16 month (which will only happen once in our lifetimes, which upsets me more than it should) but I forget where this sentence started... What I want to say is, as great as Hogan/Vince was, does anyone else think Austin could've done business with Hogan finally at WMXIX? I think it could've been similarly awesome. And I think you could even keep Austin happy by having him go over (granted, sorta via Piper interference still). It would've been an epic gimmicky dream match. And it might've possibly helped me crystallize in my mind who I truly consider to be the greatest pro wrestling icon.
    : 04/02/11}:forever&always
    ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
    http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=121686

vCash
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Austin/Hogan should have happened in 2003. Both returned to huge ovations and were hugely over. Who knows who would've won the crowd over if that happened at the right time?

Personally, I think Austin is a better and more versatile entertainer than Hogan ever was.

vCash
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know what? The Austin-Adams feud really is fun. From what I have seen, Stunning Steve is beating some jobber asses, and cutting great promos on Gentleman Chris Adams. Austin's been experimenting with a finisher, alternating between a running shoulder block, and a top rope splash ("Air Austin"). The promos are great. He says things like:

"I went through your school, and I was too good for it. I'm the best in the world. Now, I got two pair of your boots, I've got your dog and I'm having more fun than I ever dreamed possible with Jeannie."

Goddamn. Stunning Steve took a man's woman, AND HIS DOG. He was always Stone Cold. Jeannie often closes the interview, rubbing salt in the fresh verbal wounds Stunning Steve just opened, and she's not great, but she's believable.

Chris Adams new wife, Toni Adams, is now involved evening things up for the Gentleman, and this brings us to this mixed tag team match.

Spoiler

This is chaotic fun. The girls are cat fighting, and Austin and Adams are brawling. Austin's been targeting Adams neck the entire feud, and injures it during a barbed wire match, which I don't know if it was before or after this, but Austin piledrives Adams on the concrete floor here too, and while looking to finish him off with an Air Austin, Toni Adams lays on top of Chris Adams, in a human shield kind of way. Austin don't give a rat's ass, and splashes them both. Toni leaves on a stretcher, and Jeannie tips it over. Jeanie is more Stone Cold than Austin in 1990.

Next interview, Austin isn't apologetic for splashing Toni Adams, as she put herself in that position. The only thing close to a regret for him is, "I'm sorry I didn't break every bone in your stinking back." One other note, Austin is using "take that to the bank," in the same way he would more famously use "and that's the bottom line" in the future.

They do feel bad that Toni is so "uncoordinated" and "fell" off the stretcher, though. The power couple of 1990 doesn't have time to visit her in the hospital so they're preparing a card to send her instead. That card will read:

Toni,

Get well fast.

You stupid tramp.

Stunning Steve and Jeannie.

The Austin-Adams feud is really heating up.

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Steve Austin is already extremely good as a heel. His promos are pretty brutal. His ring work is crisp, and he has a great mean streak. Jeanie has that Vickie Guerrero quality of having such an annoying voice she can get heat just from speaking. Unfortunately, I find her voice so annoying that I literally couldn't make it through her long promo in that video.

vCash
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of my earliest memories of Austin was the strap match vs Savio Vega at In Your House Beware of Dog. I remember we somehow got that pay per view for free back in the day, I was so fucking happy.

ECW: Fuck The Bullshit

ExOfEx

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
    One of my earliest memories of Austin was the strap match vs Savio Vega at In Your House Beware of Dog. I remember we somehow got that pay per view for free back in the day, I was so fucking happy.
    I remember that! I think that PPV had a power outage during the live Sunday night broadcast and they did a redo a couple nights later like Tuesday or Wednesday night. I watched it too.

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mistress View Post
    Surprised they aren't doing this on The Network
    IF YOU THINK THE NETWORK MISSED A HUGE OPPORTUNITY BUT AREN'T REALLY SURPRISED BECAUSE THEY BARELY SEEM TO CARE ABOUT IT IN THE FIRST PLACE AND ARE ONLY INTERESTED IN CREATING SHITTY REALITY SHOWS, GIMME A HELL YEAH!

God damn if I don't love me some Stone Cold. Forget all the old grainy videos of blond Austin. Give me bald-headed, beer-drinking, ass-kicking STOMP A MUDHOLE AND WALK IT DRY GIVE YOUR BOSS THE FINGER THROW ME A BEER STONE COLD STEVE AUSTIN ALL DAY LONG.

AND THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE

CAUSE STONE COLD SAID SO!

ExOfEx

I'm not any good at putting videos in my posts, but you tech-savvy folks here can do it. What about someone put together a compilation video clip of Austin's best Stone Cold Stunners to further salute the Texas Rattlesnake? Ought to be a fun watch and I'll rep you.

vCash
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't watched this in a few years.

Bonus, my introductory match to Austin. Future DA buddies clash:

vCash
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's interesting to watch how all the different guys sold the Stunner. So far Bret, Ron Simmons and most of the random jobbers sold it the best. It also interesting how Angle's selling evolved. Trump is at around the 5:00 mark btw (just awful.)

Thanks again for reminding me of that video Ex!
    Last edited by The Icon; 03-04-2016 at 09:30 PM.

ExOfEx

Thanks for posting it man! I enjoyed watching it. Slaughter looked like he always fell completely forward, almost like a failed somersault selling the Stunner, quite funny. And Oh God, did Rock oversell it! Lol

Shinobi, I tried to rep you for that Beware of Dog flashback you gave me, but it said I had to spread it around first, anyways right back at you bro!

vCash
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Icon View Post
    It's interesting to watch how all the different guys sold the Stunner. So far Bret, Ron Simmons and most of the random jobbers sold it the best.
    Bret always sold it like his trachea just crushed. He's the best at pretty much everything in the ring.

Stunning Steve Austin (with Jeannie) vs. Chris Adams (with Toni)

Spoiler

These two put on a decent television match with a really hot crowd.

Before the match begins, the girls start out cat fighting. Jeannie spends most of it keeping her tits in her dress.

Some Chris Christie looking motherfucker, who is apparently "The Matchmaker," tries to ban the women from ringside. Toni attacks Jeannie a couple more times before the ban happens. Jeannie has an evil smile every time Toni gets pulled away. The Governor of the Sportatorium gets his wish, and the girls are shown to the back. Jeannie blows a kiss to everybody on her way out. I'm becoming a big Jeannie fan. What a world class bitch she is in this feud.

Adams controls the early portion, fans with a Su-Per-Kick chant, wanting to see him kick Austin's head off.

Adams does an Andre The Giant rope tie on the Stunning one, taking cheap shots on him. Somebody should DQ this motherfucker. The Texas crowd supports the cheating British guy, over the Texan. Defend your people, Shin.

Austin finally catches a break when he unties himself just in the nick of time of a flying cross body from Adams, where the miss sends Adams over the top rope, and onto the apron. Austin heels it up with the crowd, in between his submarine pitcher style punches, which are now as good as they'll ever be.

Austin misses an Air Austin (the commentator drops "went to the well once too often" cliche for something Austin was trying for the first time, so Gorilla Monsoon, he is not). Adams then climbs the ropes, and hits a clothesline off the top rope for the win.

Jeannie comes out, throws a chair in the ring, and Austin starts working over Adams after the bell.

Toni Adams then comes out with a goddamned Singapore Cane, in 1990, and starts caning Jeannie in the ass.

Jeannie retreats into the ring, Toni follows her there, where Austin intercepts the cane, and Toni, and holds Toni while Jeannie canes her in the stomach!

Austin tells her to cane her in the back too. And to hit Chris Adams while she's at it. Jeannie happily obliges and celebrates with a Statue of Liberty pose, with a Singapore Cane instead of a torch.

This feud has cat fights, barbed wire, and now a Singapore cane. ECW! ECW! ECW!

Austin throws a chair at Adams, and leaves with his woman. Jeannie blows us a kiss on her way to the back.

Sign these two up, WCW.

Thread Information