Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much do you pay for cable/internet?

vCash
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How much do you pay for cable/internet?

Man, I'm so fucking mad right now. I just got a cable bill in the mail for like $177! Fuck me running!

So I found out that my cable provider has a limit on data, if you go over that limit you get charged like $10 increments per GB or whatever. My limit is 250 GB's I think, I keep going over. This billing period falls on the holidays where I downloaded a few games for my kids new XBOX, plus I've been streaming the fuck out of X-Files and wrestling videos.

This sucks because EVERYTHING I watch is online. Netflix, WWE Network, UFC Fight Pass, NWA Classics on Demand, Youtube. This same cable company dropped Spike TV and Comedy Central, two of the channels I watch the most. What makes matters worse is that they do not include NFL Network or Fox Sports 1 in this $90 package that I usually pay for. What the fuck dude?

So I'm about to drop cable altogether and just pay for internet, a higher GB limit package I guess. Why does this suck so bad? What is your deal? What do you pay? What do you get for what you pay for?

Yang Xiao Long fangirl Mistress's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: How much do you pay for cable/internet?

$47 per month for internet. Don't need cable. We've been cable free for about 2 years.
    I don't remember what our gig package is but when I called to sign up, I mentioned that they didn't have what I wanted and was about to go with another company. The lady then proposed to double our speeds for the same price. We jumped at the deal.

We have Hulu, Netflix, Crunchyroll, Funimation and WWE network for the hubby. I'm quite OK with just those. We may get Slingtv once its available on PSN. Also ROH has been putting iPPVs on PSN lately which I love.

Yeah we're fine being cable free.

Thank you Surrender!!!
    Voted Co-Most Underrated Nerdery Poster of 2014 (With Raven*)
    Currently watching: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Samurai Jack and Hunter X Hunter

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

195 a month for Internet, cable and home phone, which I used for my businesses.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My internet is $65 a month. Direct TV is currently $67 but I got a deal when I moved.

vCash
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I pay a ridiculous amount for cable+internet. $189 a month I think. That's Canadian, so it's about $134 USD (god that's sad. It wasn't that along ago that the Canadian dollar was at par). My package is 300 gigs per month. No idea the speed, but it's fast enough for me. When I download a movie say, 1.5 gigs, it takes like 10 mins or so. TV shows, within 3 mins usually. Can't complain about the speed.

-Hayze

Quote Originally Posted by iNCY View Post
    yes I am a little bitch.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

approx. $205 a month.

digital cable w/ VOD, high speed internet and a phone line. oh and a couple DVR boxes I pay just a bit extra for.

were im at its cable or no tv period and the local provider knows they have the people by the balls.
    "Everyone back to my trailer for pot pies and mountain dew" - Kevin Nash

vCash
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

And here I thought us Canadians were always paying more. I pay $175 a month for phone, cable (including the WWE Network and paying for a sports package) and Internet. I have one of the lower internet plans but it works for us.

Spoiler

*Many thanks to the amazing surrender for my banner*
    #TeamAuthority
    R.E.A.L

vCash
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gonna say around 50. I don't really stream so I've never experienced a data cap.

Recently stopped having Cable with TWC and went with DirecTV, but TWC doubled the speed (it's like extra cheese for as much as I've noticed) for the same price so we just have Internet with them now.

Moderately Moderating Michinokudriver's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$160 a month. Holy crap, that's a lot now that I think about it; I should reevaluate what I use and maybe downgrade the TV.

104 for the DirecTV package I have, 60 for Sonic DSL (Sonic is a local company that values privacy over data sharing; support small local businesses AND responsible Internet values? What could go wrong?) but thinking about it, I probably could move down a tier on DirecTV since I'm not watching nearly as many channels as I used to. Whether I can still get El Rey/Lucha Underground on a lower package will be the question.

Nominee: PW's Most Knowledgeable Poster, 2006
    Co-winner: PW's Most Knowledgeable Nerd, 2006

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

20 euros per month with no data limit. 100mbps download and 50mbps upload speed. Damn internet is expensive in north america.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I move in a couple weeks I'll be paying $40 for internet, $10 for Netflix, $10 for WWE Network and I might get Hulu/Sling so $60 - $80 altogether. Getting rid of cable is gonna be the best thing.

Tetris Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

vCash
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My internet and phone package is combined, I get a monthly bill of around 75. All videos online, youtube, WWE Network etc buffer with no problem, especially good for some of the longer LP videos that are out there.

I pay out the ass for tv for my folks but i've got platinum packages and the service is always excellent, you get what you pay for.

A ton and a half of credit to Rad for this superb artwork

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz
    I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am than love me for something i'm not
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    It's so nice knowing i'm no longer alone

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My grandparents pay 200+ for 300 something channels they don't even use, but my grandpa just HAS to have them along with all the HD channels for their HD TVS, of which they watch a total of maybe 5 channels.

Cable tv is ridiculous.

vCash
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$77 for 100 down/10 up. $2 of that is a monthly fee for buying and using my own cable modem. They set our cap at 500 gb/month but every time I've gone over it they haven't done anything about it. I don't think they charge for going over the cap in my area because we have multiple high speed internet providers and they don't want to lose business.

But they never stop bugging me about setting up cable TV. Last summer they came over out of the blue and hooked our apartment up for cable so now they're just giving us like 50 channels that we don't ever watch for free. How are you going to get people to buy cable if you're just giving it out for free?

The Wrestle-O-Pedia TheMaskedOtter's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I pay $60.00 a month for internet. I don't have a landline phone because I have a cell I cut the cord on cable about 6 years ago and really don't miss it. I kept paying more and more for channels I didn't watch. I have my old rabbit ear antenna from my undergrad days set up in my attic for local channels. I pick up 15 channels that way and I pay for Netflix.

Space Invaders Champion! Hexxagon Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2

vCash
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I pay $40 for internet and am considering cable just because I work on Saturdays and baseball season starts soon.
    If all of mankind minus one were of of one opinion, and only one person of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
    -John Stuart Mill

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iron maiden View Post
    And here I thought us Canadians were always paying more. I pay $175 a month for phone, cable (including the WWE Network and paying for a sports package so I can get Sportsnet to watch RAW and SD) and Internet. I have one of the lower internet plans but it works for us.
    We don't necessarily pay more than Americans (depending where you look), the problem we have up here is the oligopoly that Rogers, Bell & Telus have across the country. Americans may pay roughly the same as us on average, but they get far more for what they pay. They have this thing down there called "competition" that we don't.

We didn't have cable for 3 years or so and during that time we moved a couple times. Basic internet package was around $60/mo no matter where we lived and we rarely had issues with streaming and download speed. When we moved back to Saskatchewan we started paying for cable again and our bill is around $135/mo with Netflix included in that.

vCash
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$44 for internet. Under $30 with all the taxes for unlimited everything for my phone through Republic Wireless. Anyone who is down with technology and does not like paying for tv needs to look into "Kodi" it's a program that could change the way you view tv.

I stream everything. Kodi, HULU, WWE, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Crackle. I have it all on my Roku box. When it comes to sporting events, I will find a stream from stopsteam.tv or something like that.
    I am your God

Yang Xiao Long fangirl Mistress's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheMaskedOtter View Post
    I pay $60.00 a month for internet. I don't have a landline phone because I have a cell I cut the cord on cable about 6 years ago and really don't miss it. I kept paying more and more for channels I didn't watch. I have my old rabbit ear antenna from my undergrad days set up in my attic for local channels. I pick up 15 channels that way and I pay for Netflix.
    Yep we have an antenna as well for local channels

Thank you Surrender!!!
    Voted Co-Most Underrated Nerdery Poster of 2014 (With Raven*)
    Currently watching: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Samurai Jack and Hunter X Hunter

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're moving in a few weeks and gonna go with internet only. We have Netflix, Hulu, and WWE Network. Anything else I want to watch I just get from showbox. Cable packages from Comcast are insane and not worth the money one bit.
    -The Undertaker: It will always be his Yard
    -FOREVER A WARRIOR
    -NXT gives me HOPE for the Future
    -KCCO
    ---θ---
    Currently playing:
    PS4: Fallout 4, The Division, Doom, Assassin's Creed: Syndicate, Life is Strange, Uncharted 4
    Mobile: Tapped Out, Forge of Empires, WWE Champions
    IGN for every Game I play and PSN: Stefulson
    Feel free to add me.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My current bill is around $90. I have high speed internet and basic cable with Cox. The internet is $60ish and the cable is $25.

Problem now, is Cox just went all digital. So the cable I had, no box, just the coaxial from the wall to my TV... no longer works. I get half the channels I had, and the quality sucks. I got this thing they call a mini-box, which gives you all the digital channels. And they said 'to keep your same service, get this box.' Okay. So I got the box.

Except I lost about 16 channels, including USA, Disney, and Fox Sports 1, the main channels I watch. If I want to get everything I had before, the cost for the channel lineup TRIPLES. So... I'm about this close to just cutting the cable off completely and just keeping internet. I only paid for cable for wrestling anyway. We watch mostly Netflix. I plan on calling them soon to see what they can offer me to not cancel the cable. But it's gonna have to be a damn good deal because we can barely afford what we're paying now.

As for the data cap, I went over it once. Cox sent me an email letting me know (which I didn't know there WAS a cap) and said they don't charge extra for going over, but if it happened repeatedly they would decrease the internet speed.

WD4L
    Volatile Wrestling Alliance
    Premier E-fedding

The Writer's Block
    Creative Writing & E-fed Archives

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm over $260 a month

But that also includes 2 DVRs, a bunch of sports packages, and home security.

I also have 2 home phones that stay unplugged. The bill would actually go up $7 if we got rid of the phone.

vCash
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So that's what they meant by less is more...

Space Invaders Champion! Hexxagon Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2

vCash
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Cunt View Post
    I'm over $260 a month

But that also includes 2 DVRs, a bunch of sports packages, and home security.

I also have 2 home phones that stay unplugged. The bill would actually go up $7 if we got rid of the phone.
    Take advantage of this: if you need a phone number for anything, give them the landline number.
    If all of mankind minus one were of of one opinion, and only one person of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
    -John Stuart Mill

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really though if it wasn't for football, I'd probably just get rid of my direct tv and just stick with like Hulu and amazon prime and my netflix. All that together is still less than cable. I would miss the occasional UFC event on FS1 but I can live with that and just find it later. My price is good right now though. In fact if you call direct tv and say you are leaving because the price is too high you suddenly have a bunch of rebates you never knew existed and they throw in free movie channels for like 6 months. So I guess I could keep playing that game. I don't know, I have it at the current price until next September so I'm good until then.

Cable/satellite providers will have to somehow change up their business plan. With more networks starting to gravitate towards their own subscription service, those cable providers might be on the way to extinction in the next 10 years.

Thread Information