Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much do you pay for cable/internet?

Moderately Moderating Michinokudriver's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: How much do you pay for cable/internet?

Quote Originally Posted by vendrell View Post
    Really though if it wasn't for football, I'd probably just get rid of my direct tv and just stick with like Hulu and amazon prime and my netflix. All that together is still less than cable. I would miss the occasional UFC event on FS1 but I can live with that and just find it later. My price is good right now though. In fact if you call direct tv and say you are leaving because the price is too high you suddenly have a bunch of rebates you never knew existed and they throw in free movie channels for like 6 months. So I guess I could keep playing that game. I don't know, I have it at the current price until next September so I'm good until then.

Cable/satellite providers will have to somehow change up their business plan. With more networks starting to gravitate towards their own subscription service, those cable providers might be on the way to extinction in the next 10 years.
    Maybekindasorta. I totally get the consumer complaints re: bundling, but the channels are sold to cable and satellite networks that way. Disney tells them if you want to carry ESPN (and pretty much everyone does), you also have to buy Disney Kids 3 and everyone knows no one is going to watch it but that's the way the game is played. They can't decide to buy Food Network and save money by not getting the Cooking Channel; they get it as a bundle too.

And the other thing is that while WWE is one of the first to go subscription network like this, if ALL the channels move to it then most of them are going to die off. The major ones. Like sure, $10 for WWE Network is fine and if they had live RAW/SD then bye bye USA Network. But what happens when every channel wants $10 a month? (Probably more like $20-25 for the big names like ESPN and Food Network and FSN.) AMC? Another $10. Cartoon Network? Another $10. Add up all the channels that someone actually wants and I don't see a whole lot of money being saved.

Nominee: PW's Most Knowledgeable Poster, 2006
    Co-winner: PW's Most Knowledgeable Nerd, 2006

vCash
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I pay $45/month for a 200x20 pipe for internet. No need for cable tv. I can download anything that isn't on Netflix or Hulu.

vCash
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Michinokudriver View Post
    Maybekindasorta. I totally get the consumer complaints re: bundling, but the channels are sold to cable and satellite networks that way. Disney tells them if you want to carry ESPN (and pretty much everyone does), you also have to buy Disney Kids 3 and everyone knows no one is going to watch it but that's the way the game is played. They can't decide to buy Food Network and save money by not getting the Cooking Channel; they get it as a bundle too.

And the other thing is that while WWE is one of the first to go subscription network like this, if ALL the channels move to it then most of them are going to die off. The major ones. Like sure, $10 for WWE Network is fine and if they had live RAW/SD then bye bye USA Network. But what happens when every channel wants $10 a month? (Probably more like $20-25 for the big names like ESPN and Food Network and FSN.) AMC? Another $10. Cartoon Network? Another $10. Add up all the channels that someone actually wants and I don't see a whole lot of money being saved.
    I tried to switch providers and even though initially it was less expensive, by the time I added on all the channels I wanted (and currently have), it ended up being quite a bit more expensive. In order to watch RAW every week, I pay $10 for a block of sports Channels simply so I can have Sportsnet (which USED to be part of basic cable here), then I pay $11.99 for the WWE Network on top of that through my cable provider as here in Canada you can't get the Network without buying through one of the cable companies. I don't usually watch any of my other shows when they are actually on, my daughter lives off Netflix so I'm not quite sure why I have cable other than for The Network and that maybe my mom would be upset if she couldn't watch HGTV (Home and Garden TV) or her cheesy made-for-TV Christmas movies during the holidays.

Spoiler

*Many thanks to the amazing surrender for my banner*
    #TeamAuthority
    R.E.A.L

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iron maiden View Post
    I tried to switch providers and even though initially it was less expensive, by the time I added on all the channels I wanted (and currently have), it ended up being quite a bit more expensive. In order to watch RAW every week, I pay $10 for a block of sports Channels simply so I can have Sportsnet (which USED to be part of basic cable here), then I pay $11.99 for the WWE Network on top of that through my cable provider as here in Canada you can't get the Network without buying through one of the cable companies. I don't usually watch any of my other shows when they are actually on, my daughter lives off Netflix so I'm not quite sure why I have cable other than for The Network and that maybe my mom would be upset if she couldn't watch HGTV (Home and Garden TV) or her cheesy made-for-TV Christmas movies during the holidays.
    The worst part is, Sportsnet is still part of the basic cable package (at least in Saskatchewan it is) but Raw is on Sportsnet360 which costs extra and comes as a bundle with other useless sports channels.

They also charge even MORE for Sportsnet World, which always gets soccer games I want to watch. The Arsenal/Chelsea rematch last week wasn't on any channels I get and I have literally every sports channel except for World and the one with the black and yellow logo that shows rugby all the time (can't remember the name).

And don't even get me started on NHL Centre Ice, although that's more the NHL's fault than the cable providers. Fuck do blackouts ever piss me off.

vCash
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Around 120 for cable/modem/phone, Time Warner used to be much worse. I can't say I watch much TV outside of my sports fixes almost every night and once in a while, wrestling. Video Games really take over my time in that regard. The others in my house use the TV more than I do, on weekdays I am gone for a good chunk of the day and when I get home I sleep in about 3-4 hours.

Currently Playing:
    Manhunt(PS3), Rocket League(PS4)

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wont name numbers, but I have DirecTv with a prime movie package on it, and yes we do use most of them. We might be getting MLB Extra Innings for me, although I think this year I would have a high chance of seeing the Royals on regular tv.

Our cell phone plan is pricey BUT we also have 4 phone lines, unlimited texting, a higher than most data plan and a couple other things. Although if my current company doesn't straigten up I'll be visiting a competitor

http://s7.zetaboards.com/S_W_A_T/index/

My beautiful oldest grand daughter Munchkin born Sept 6, 2012, And Evie Girl August 20, 2014
    2013 my beautiful son died, 2014 my dad died and in 2016 my loved Teddy the Pom, may they RIP

[/color]

Steve Hermissio

For me the total Internet bill per month $15. And total spend data is over 30 GB.

The Voices, they scream Mr. Canoe's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I pay about $67 a month for internet, it's apparently "unlimited". I find all my shows that I watch can easily be downloaded. My bill over all is around $130 as I have also a home phone and cell phone threw them as well but the cell phone plan is new and I may just drop my home phone in a few months once my cell number gets circulated enough to the people who would need my number to reach me

vCash
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I removed the modem rental fee from my internet bill, and it came down to $37.00. I just purchased HBO Now and Hulu today. I'm thinking about getting showtime online too.

I remember having to pay the cable companies hundreds of dollars to get what I have now, but now I only pay a total of maybe $80 for everything.

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

28/$40 for unlimited high speed internet, TV incl sports packages and phone line.

I had no idea how badly North America/Canada gets ripped off over internet and TV. Holy shit.

Ivan Koloff Girl southrnbygrace's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

138.00 for internet and cable here in NC. AND I have no other choice for cable since Charter has a monopoly where we live.

Banner by edgehead73
    Icon by buffygirl52789

Yang Xiao Long fangirl Mistress's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We just signed up for a free trial of PlayStation Vue, on our ps4.

The goodies: comes with a DVR feature, only $30 (for our package), and it has basic cable channels we need and all the cartoon channels for the kids.
    Bad: can only stream to one account. So if I wanted the kids to be allowed to watch at the same time as us, we would have to sign up for another $30 on their ps4. Can't share it.

Otherwise, no complaints here. We love being able to stream cable. I can watchTNA now. Sadly it doesn't have EL Rey on our package but that's OK. We have AMC, Spike, TNT, TBS, USA and others we like to watch.

Maybe try it out, yourselves, if you can.

Thank you Surrender!!!
    Voted Co-Most Underrated Nerdery Poster of 2014 (With Raven*)
    Currently watching: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Nanbaka, Samurai Jack & Hunter X Hunter

vCash
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I pay $70 and don't even come remotely close to my download limit. It would be nice to get it a bit cheaper for half as much, but at least I get good reliable connection which I've heard isn't always the case around these parts.

vCash
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So last month I ran over my limit, I fell asleep watching The Wire on Amazon Prime and it ran all night and I watched a few 4K movies and then I got a bill for $166!!! I told them to stick it up their ass. Today I got hooked up with one of their competitors with $49.99 unlimited high speed internet, I'm saying fuck cable and just doing Sling TV and Amazon Prime and Netflix, coming out to around 80 a month give or take, way better than getting ass raped by this cable company every month, they dropped all my favorite channels a couple of years ago anyways, fuck'em.

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$50 for high speed internet. Said fuck it to Cable a few years ago and haven't looked back.

To supplement it, we get Hulu, Netflix, WWE Network and now DirecTV Now (which includes HBO/HBO Go for free for one year). When we had cable, it was around $125/month, and we still paid for Netflix and Hulu (and WWE Network). So if you ignore those costs, internet + DirecTV Now is a $40/month savings.

[π: WWPID?] ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

vCash
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

200 on the dot right now for Mediacom cable, internet and a home phone my mother in law uses while at our house watching kiddo. Our data limit has never been in actual danger, though my kids love of Netflix and YouTube has dwarfed mine considerably.

I'm not sure what would happen if I dropped cable and phone.

vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I pay 20 which is roughly $24 per month, no limits on downloads, I pay my phone, internet and satellite from the same provider

Thread Information