Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Old School Football Thread

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Old School Football Thread

Break out your NFL Record and Fact books! I put the "Team of the Week" series on ice until the offseason, I need a place where I can spew the old school football bullshit off of my brain. The NFL is almost 100 years old(2016 will be the 97th NFL season, though the roots go back 110 years to 1895-1896 with the first pro teams in the Ohio League). I find myself fascinated with it's history. Feel free to join in with anything old school related that doesn't deserve it's own thread, favorite pictures, random videos, stories, memories, games, players, from Thorpe to whatever. I'll post some pictures to set the mood!

Ravishing Slick Dude KashDinero's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Old School Football Thread

Best NFL memory is watching the 1991 SuperBowl live from a Hilton Hotel in Orlando, Florida. I remember being over the moon after seeing my beloved Giants narrowly beat the Bills 20-19.
    PW Nerdery's Most Underrated Poster Of 2015

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is how much of an old school football nerd I am, this morning I connected my HDMI-to-Composite adapter from my Roku to my VCR and recorded the 1977 Raiders vs Colts "Ghost to the Post" game from Youtube to a VHS tape!

I have to have that shit in my physical collection. Sooner or later it will get taken down from Youtube and it will be gone forever. It's like the NFL Now that existed up until this Summer. I wish I would have recorded all of those games and team yearbooks to VHS because now NFL Now is something completely different, all of that old footage is gone.

The Ghost to the Post game is one of the greatest games ever played. It was considered the last game in the end of an era of the league, since starting in 1978 they made drastic rules changes that made it a much more offensive game. The Raiders and Colts battled back and forth all game into double overtime, one of the hardest hitting, most physical games you will ever see. One of the longest games in NFL history as well. The video I recorded has terrible video quality, especially starting in the 3rd quarter when the game starts to get good.

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just found this:

Spoiler

I remember this was a great game. David vs Goliath, and Houston(only in their 2nd year in the league) gave them hell. One of the best Texans games from the early years, even though we lost. The Patriots went on to win the next 2 Super Bowls.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 01-31-2016 at 11:41 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
    Just found this:

Spoiler

I remember this was a great game. David vs Goliath, and Houston gave them hell. One of the best Texans games from the early years, even though we lost. The Patriots went on to win the next 2 Super Bowls.
    I'm getting into the final 2 minutes of the game now, goosebumps! What a great game. That crowd was on fire there. Dom Capers defense gave New England all kinds of hell. That was a solid defense, Jamie Sharper was a hell of a linebacker(he was a big part of that 2000 Ravens defense). Plus you had Jay Foreman, Steve Martin, Aaron Glenn, great defense. I remember reading a book a couple of months ago about Houston sports and they said one of the biggest mistakes was the Texans drafting David Carr over Julious Peppers in the 2002 draft. After watching this game I'd have to agree. The Texans defense was very good in 2003-2004, if they would have had Peppers they probably would have been a playoff team those years.

Game really gets good in the 3rd quarter into the 4th. Great drive there by New England in the end to tie it up. Awesome seeing Andre Johnson as a rookie catching balls against legends like Ty Law and Tyrone Poole and Rodney Harrison.

Fucking Tom Brady though. That defense just ran out of gas there in the end. I remember I was up off my couch screaming at the TV for this game back when it happened. Definitely one of my favorite Texans games, maybe one of my favorite NFL games ever played. It was just a great feeling to have a football team again, seeing them take a team like the Patriots into deep water was so awesome. It looked like the Texans were on their way to being a great team there, they took New England into overtime in this game and beat the Panthers a few weeks before this. 2002, 2003 and 2004 were fun seasons, it was great to have a hometown team back in the NFL, being able to watch it grow from the beginning.

Edit: Tony Banks threw the game away there in overtime with an interception, setting New England up for the easy chip shot field goal win. Watching this makes me appreciate the new NFL overtime rules. They really are so much better.

What a great Patriots team though, jeez, Vrabel, Bruschi, Law, Poole, Harrisson, McGinnest, Richard Seymour, Ted Washington, what a fucking defense.

Double Edit: BLOCKED FIELD GOAL! It's not over! That place exploded! How awesome. I forgot about this. Epic game!

Look at that playoff picture! Houston at 4-6 was still in it, with victories over Buffalo and Miami earlier in the season. Man, this game was HUGE! Good times.

Man, we took the Patriots into DEEP water! This is like Chuck Wepner vs Ali! The Texans were right there, so close to field goal range. That was pass interference on Andre Johnson there on that long pass. We were robbed! If he would have caught that it was over!

Final Edit: Patriots drive from their 9 yard line after the punt. I remember that sack by Sharper on Brady, fucking epic! We had them on the fucking ropes!

Texans got one more chance! What effort! WHAT EFFORT! They are one first down away from being in field goal range! FUCK! SO CLOSE! New England's defense forced the 3 & out. New England began their game winning drive from their own 13 yard line. We're like 4:20 away from this game ending in a tie!!! That's how deep of waters the Texans took the champs! One of the greatest teams of all time! You can see the Texans defense just deflated here in the end. Brady picked them apart on this winning drive.

FUCK! Brady throws a bomb and it's INTERCEPTED! They call it back on a penalty!!! WHAT!!! Holding on the defense!?!?! Automatic first down!?!?! Fuck me running!!! We were screwed!!

Bullshit penalty, Patriots were gifted this win.

This is one of those games that made me a diehard Texans fan. I was already crazy about them after what they did to Dallas the year before, but this was huge to me. I was hyped like a motherfucker for the Texans after this game. I was for sure they were on their way to being a playoff team by 2004, if not 2004 than definitely 2005. I mean, the Patriots were one of the greatest teams ever, little ole Houston in their 2nd year of existence takes these motherfuckers to a 74 minute BATTLE deep into Overtime! This was 1 minutes away from being a tie. This was like Chael Sonnen dominating Anderson Silva for 4.9 rounds only to get submitted in the final 30 seconds, they were just so close. Definitely one of my favorite football games ever. So glad I finally got to see it again. God bless Youtube.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 01-31-2016 at 11:41 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in a football mood today for sure. I dug out my tapes of the 2012 Redskins and Texans playoff games. Watching Washington vs Seattle now, the fall of RG3! Redskins jumped up to a 14-0 lead. That stadium was rocking. They took RG3 into a small room on the sidelines early in the 2nd quarter. I'm wondering if they just kept doping this kid up through the course of this game so he could play on that knee. He ends up injuring himself pretty badly late in the game. Still can't get over how Shannahan handled RG3 in this game. Pretty much ended the kids career.

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today is the 24 year anniversary of "The Drive II", the 1991 AFC Divisional playoff game between the Houston Oilers and the Denver Broncos. I randomly stumbled upon this game on Youtube and had to watch it today. Really, really, really good game. Warren Moon vs John Elway.

Spoiler

Houston comes out and Moon connects to Jeffries for 50 yards on the first play. Within like 3 plays they are in the end zone against the top defense in the AFC, 2nd best defense in the league that year I think. Oilers burn the Broncos and go up 21-6 by halftime. Incredible watching this offense, Moon was one of the greatest of all time. Speaking of GOATS, if you ever put together a Houston All Time team, on defense you would have JJ Watt and Ray Childress, and then do whatever the fuck else you want to do homie. Childress was one of the best players that ever played the game. He was looking like JJ Watt in the early parts of this game, getting to Elway, shutting down the run, wreaking havoc even though he was being double teamed at times. Childress hurt his back early in the game and I think he was pulled out of the game at half time.

There was a huge play near the end of the first half when Moon threw the interception. How the hell they ruled that a catch I'll never know, that was not an interception. The turnover set Denver up for a long scoring drive.

The Oilers were up 21-6 and the Broncos shut them down in the 2nd half. Oilers got a field goal and pulled ahead 24-23 with just 2 minutes left!!! It's the bad playcalling that always did Houston in, especially in this game. They kept throwing the ball deep instead of trying to run the clock out, they left Elway with too much time.

Unbelievable drive though from Elway. That fucking stadium was rocking. Broncos drive from their own 2 yard line, converting a 4th & 8, then later a 4th and 10!!!! HOUSTON WAS THAT FUCKING CLOSE!!! Elway got it done, Kubiak held the field goal that won it.

Gary Kubiak was the backup QB and kick holder in this game. Wade Phillips was the Broncos defensive coordinator. Kubiak today is the Broncos head coach and Phillips is again the D Coordinator as they head into these upcoming playoffs with the #1 seed in the AFC. Kubiak and Phillips put together one hell of a team down here in Houston that year in 2011 and in 2012, they fired Kubiak after he had his heart attack, I'm still not so sure that was the right thing to do.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 01-31-2016 at 11:42 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chuck Knox is an interesting name that you don't hear anymore. He was a 3 time Coach of the Year award winner. He coached the Rams from 73 to 77, then the Bills from 78 to 82, then the Seahawks from 83 to 91, then he was the final coach of the Rams during their last few years in LA from 92 to 94. He took all three of those teams to the playoffs. The Rams were pretty damn good under his first tenure:

1973: 12-2(lost in Divisional playoff)- NFL Coach of the Year
    1974: 10-4(lost NFC Championship)
    1975: 12-2(lost NFC Championship)
    1976: 10-3-1(lost NFC Championship)
    1977: 10-4(lost in Divisional playoff)

So the Rams were right there every year under Knox, losing three NFC Championship games back-to-back-to-back. Knox finished 54-15-1(3-5 in playoffs).

Then Knox went to Buffalo to coach the Bills. The Bills were 2-12 in 1976 and 3-11 in 1977 before Knox came in, he turned them around and made them a playoff team/division champion within a few years:

1978: 5-11
    1979: 7-9
    1980: 11-5(lost in Divisional playoff)- NFL Coach of the Year
    1981: 10-6(lost in Divisional playoff)
    1982: 4-5

Knox went from Buffalo to Seattle in 83. Seattle was 6-10 in 81 and 4-5 in 82. Knox had the Seahawks in the playoffs his first year, took them all the way to the AFC Championship where they lost to the Raiders(they beat the Raiders twice that year in regular season):

1983: 9-7(lost AFC Championship)
    1984: 12-4(lost Divisional playoff)- NFL Coach of the Year
    1985: 8-8
    1986: 10-6
    1987: 9-6(lost Wild Card playoff)
    1988: 9-7(lost Divisional playoff)
    1989: 7-9
    1990: 9-7
    1991: 7-9

So he had a pretty good run with the Seahawks, a couple of division titles and in playoff contention every year almost. He went back to LA to finish his career with the Rams in a pretty terrible run.

1992: 6-10
    1993: 5-11
    1994: 4-12

So the Rams got progressively worse under Knox's last run, they fired him and left him in Los Angeles when they moved in 1995. So Knox isn't a name you ever hear much since he never won a Super Bowl, he wasn't some innovative guru or anything, he's not in the Hall of Fame and probably won't be inducted any time soon. He had an interesting run though, 3 time NFL coach of the year, 193–158–1 overall record, made it to(and lost) 4 conference title games, won 7 division titles, turned two sagging programs around and made them into contenders.

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was like 8 when my grandma bought me these two VHS tapes back in the day:

Part 1(1986):
    Baltimore Colts vs New York Giants 1958 NFL Championship
    Miami Dolphins vs San Diego Chargers 1981 AFC playoff game
    Baltimore Colts vs Detroit Lions game from 1960
    Miami Dolphins vs Oakland Raiders 1974 "Sea of Hands" game
    Green Bay Packers vs Dallas Cowboys "Ice Bowl" 1967 NFL Championship

Part 2(1987):
    Green Bay Packers vs Dallas Cowboys 1966 NFL Championship
    Cleveland Browns vs Los Angeles Rams 1950 NFL Championship
    New York Jets vs Baltimore Colts Super Bowl III
    Oakland Raiders vs Baltimore Colts 1977 AFC playoff
    Kansas City Chiefs vs Miami Dolphins 1971 AFC playoff
    Washington Redskins vs Dallas Cowboys 1979

I watched the FUCK out of these when I was a kid. This is the shit that made me a lifelong football fan. Epic music, god-like narration, superbly written accounts of some of the greatest games ever played. I tracked these down and bought brand new factory sealed VHS copies of these on Amazon a few years ago, I'm watching one now. Great shit. Two of my favorite movies NFL Films ever made.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 01-31-2016 at 06:32 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today is the 24 year anniversary of "The Drive II", the 1991 AFC Divisional playoff game between the Houston Oilers and the Denver Broncos. I randomly stumbled upon this game on Youtube and had to watch it today. Really, really, really good game. Warren Moon vs John Elway.

Spoiler

Houston comes out and Moon connects to Jeffries for 50 yards on the first play. Within like 3 plays they are in the end zone against the top defense in the AFC, 2nd best defense in the league that year I think. Oilers burn the Broncos and go up 21-6 by halftime. Incredible watching this offense, Moon was one of the greatest of all time. Speaking of GOATS, if you ever put together a Houston All Time team, on defense you would have JJ Watt and Ray Childress, and then do whatever the fuck else you want to do homie. Childress was one of the best players that ever played the game. He was looking like JJ Watt in the early parts of this game, getting to Elway, shutting down the run, wreaking havoc even though he was being double teamed at times. Childress hurt his back early in the game and I think he was pulled out of the game at half time.

There was a huge play near the end of the first half when Moon threw the interception. How the hell they ruled that a catch I'll never know, that was not an interception. The turnover set Denver up for a long scoring drive.

The Oilers were up 21-6 and the Broncos shut them down in the 2nd half. Oilers got a field goal and pulled ahead 24-23 with just 2 minutes left!!! It's the bad playcalling that always did Houston in, especially in this game. They kept throwing the ball deep instead of trying to run the clock out, they left Elway with too much time.

Unbelievable drive though from Elway. That fucking stadium was rocking. Broncos drive from their own 2 yard line, converting a 4th & 8, then later a 4th and 10!!!! HOUSTON WAS THAT FUCKING CLOSE!!! Elway got it done, Kubiak held the field goal that won it.

Gary Kubiak was the backup QB and kick holder in this game. Wade Phillips was the Broncos defensive coordinator. Kubiak today is the Broncos head coach and Phillips is again the D Coordinator as they head into these upcoming playoffs with the #1 seed in the AFC. Kubiak and Phillips put together one hell of a team down here in Houston that year in 2011 and in 2012, they fired Kubiak after he had his heart attack, I'm still not so sure that was the right thing to do.
    I feel bad for Moon, could and should of gotten one ring with those talented Oilers teams but they always folded in the playoffs.

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

93 should have been their year. We lived in Houston that season so I followed them very closely that year, they were great. I'll never forget that playoff game against the Chiefs. Joe Montana, Marcus Allen, Derrick Thomas, we collapsed, it was sad. Moon fumbled like 8 times, most ever in a playoff game. They traded him for like a 7th round pick or something. The "A Football Life" episode on the 93 Oilers almost makes me want to cry, so many memories it brought back, what a great doc. Houston Oilers weren't about football, they were about demise(I'm stealing Fezz quotes here ). Only thing they left off that doc was the Christmas day game against the 49ers, probably the 2nd best team in the league that year, we took'em down. Great team.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

93 should have been their year. We lived in Houston that season so I followed them very closely that year, they were great. I'll never forget that playoff game against the Chiefs. Joe Montana, Marcus Allen, Derrick Thomas, we collapsed, it was sad. Moon fumbled like 8 times, most ever in a playoff game. They traded him for like a 7th round pick or something. The "A Football Life" episode on the 93 Oilers almost makes me want to cry, so many memories it brought back, what a great doc. Houston Oilers weren't about football, they were about demise(I'm stealing Fezz quotes here ). Only thing they left off that doc was the Christmas day game against the 49ers, probably the 2nd best team in the league that year, we took'em down. Great team.
    What was the team regular season record? They lost to the Chiefs in the divisional game right? At home?

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We finished 12-4, tied with the Bills and Cowboys for best record in the NFL, best record in Oilers history. Defense was tight that year with Buddy Ryan as defensive coordinator. Moon got off to a rocky start, got benched, then the Oilers started like 1-4. Then the backup quarterback got hurt, they put Moon back in and they won 11 games in a row and looked like one of the best teams ever. They were still winning but they fell apart behind the scenes at the end of the season because of Buddy Ryan, the coaches even got into a fist fight on the sidelines in the last game of the regular season. On top of all that one of the players killed himself on highway 59 after killing his friend in a car crash, a bunch of gay players on the team, the whole "babygate" controversy with Bud Adams the owner fining one of the players a game check for missing a game to be with his wife giving labor. On top of all that you got a black quarterback in Texas, it was a fucking media frenzy, the press had a field day with it, pretty much every day. It was a wild season.

The interesting part is that I remember the people of Houston still believed in the Oilers going into that game against the Chiefs, even after those epic collapses agianst Denver in 91 and Buffalo in 92. I remember people talking about Oilers vs Cowboys all Texas Super Bowl, EVERYONE in the city was watching the Oilers vs Chiefs. It was huge, very big deal.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 02-03-2016 at 10:24 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We finished 12-4, tied with the Bills and Cowboys for best record in the NFL, best record in Oilers history. Defense was tight that year with Buddy Ryan as defensive coordinator. Moon got off to a rocky start, got benched, then the Oilers started like 1-4. Then the backup quarterback got hurt, they put Moon back in and they won 11 games in a row and looked like one of the best teams ever. They were still winning but they fell apart behind the scenes at the end of the season because of Buddy Ryan, the coaches even got into a fist fight on the sidelines in the last game of the regular season. On top of all that one of the players killed himself on highway 59 after killing his friend in a car crash, a bunch of gay players on the team, the whole "babygate" controversy with Bud Adams the owner fining one of the players a game check for missing a game to be with his wife giving labor. On top of all that you got a black quarterback in Texas, it was a fucking media frenzy, the press had a field day with it, pretty much every day. It was a wild season.

The interesting part is that I remember the people of Houston still believed in the Oilers going into that game against the Chiefs, even after those epic collapses agianst Denver in 91 and Buffalo in 92. I remember people talking about Oilers vs Cowboys all Texas Super Bowl, EVERYONE in the city was watching the Oilers vs Chiefs. It was huge, very big deal.
    Lol I guess the black QB part in Texas stirred up racial tension huh? Also I remember seeing a old clip of Buddy punching one of the assistant coaches in the face and heard about the Oilers off the field problems but never gotten the full details on it. A Texas Super Bowl would be cool to see someday if it happens.

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketmansid View Post
    Lol I guess the black QB part in Texas stirred up racial tension huh?
    I think it just put an unreal amount of pressure on Moon. It was like he wasn't allowed to ever make a mistake, if he didn't play flawlessly my uncles/dad/grandpa were usually calling for him to get his black ass off the field, but they would use other language. He was the scapegoat for the team's problems pretty much because he was black. Also maybe his huge money contract had a part of it, he got that deal right around the time the economy in Houston bottomed out(the bubble burst on the oil boom in 87, banks closed, a lot of jobs were lost in a matter of months, it was like a smaller scale, but worse version of what happened across the US in 2008-2009). Moon wasn't very popular with my racist dad/grandpa/uncles. Me and my brother loved him though. Christmas 93 that was what we wanted, the Warren Moon uniform/helmet set they sold at Academy. Good times.

Edit: A lot of people point to Buffalo's comeback as the turning point when Houston lost the Oilers but I always point to the game against KC in 93. After that game was when they got rid of Moon, without Moon it was like that team was dead, soulless. It's crazy that Moon kept playing at such a high level for so long after the Oilers dumped him, he had some good seasons in Minnesota and Seattle. The Oilers should have kept him. Even though he had a terrible game in that playoff game against the Chiefs, I don't think Moon was the problem with the Oilers.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 02-05-2016 at 01:16 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it just put an unreal amount of pressure on Moon. It was like he wasn't allowed to ever make a mistake, if he didn't play flawlessly my uncles/dad/grandpa were usually calling for him to get his black ass off the field, but they would use other language. He was the scapegoat for the team's problems pretty much because he was black. Also maybe his huge money contract had a part of it, he got that deal right around the time the economy in Houston bottomed out(the bubble burst on the oil boom in 87, banks closed, a lot of jobs were lost in a matter of months, it was like a smaller scale, but worse version of what happened across the US in 2008-2009). Moon wasn't very popular with my racist dad/grandpa/uncles. Me and my brother loved him though. Christmas 93 that was what we wanted, the Warren Moon uniform/helmet set they sold at Academy. Good times.

Edit: A lot of people point to Buffalo's comeback as the turning point when Houston lost the Oilers but I always point to the game against KC in 93. After that game was when they got rid of Moon, without Moon it was like that team was dead, soulless. It's crazy that Moon kept playing at such a high level for so long after the Oilers dumped him, he had some good seasons in Minnesota and Seattle. The Oilers should have kept him. Even though he had a terrible game in that playoff game against the Chiefs, I don't think Moon was the problem with the Oilers.
    You guys might have hope with the Texans...

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the Chiefs have to also be viewed as a team that could of/should of won a SB in the 90s, they had good teams from the mid to late part of that decade that was good on both sides of the ball, especially defense.

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the Chiefs have to also be viewed as a team that could of/should of won a SB in the 90s, they had good teams from the mid to late part of that decade that was good on both sides of the ball, especially defense.
    I remember the 93 team with Montana was great. That 93 Oilers vs Cheifs playoff game I'm sure has to be a record for most Hall of Famers in one single game. That was easily one of the biggest and most important football games played in my little universe in my lifetime, as a kid growing up in Houston that game was bigger than a lot of Super Bowls, I mean Joe Montana vs Warren Moon, it pretty much was our Super Bowl, and we lost. Not to mention that single game changed the course of sports history in Houston over the next 20 years or so. If the Oilers would have won the Texans could possibly not even exist today, Titans either.

While we're at it, might as well add Dan Marino to the could have/should have(but didn't because of Buffalo) list. I think the closest he ever got to going back to the Super Bowl was in 92, Duper and Clayton's final years, they finished 11-5 and made it to the AFC Championship(in Miami) but the Bills smashed them. Even though they lost all 4 Super Bowls I still see those 90's Bills as one of the greatest teams of all time, definitely one of the greatest teams of my era, they are the reason why those great Oilers, Dolphins, and Chiefs teams of the 90's never got to the Super Bowl.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 02-06-2016 at 11:52 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember the 93 team with Montana was great. That 93 Oilers vs Cheifs playoff game I'm sure has to be a record for most Hall of Famers in one single game. That was easily one of the biggest and most important football games played in my little universe in my lifetime, as a kid growing up in Houston that game was bigger than a lot of Super Bowls, I mean Joe Montana vs Warren Moon, it pretty much was our Super Bowl, and we lost. Not to mention that single game changed the course of sports history in Houston over the next 20 years or so. If the Oilers would have won the Texans could possibly not even exist today, Titans either.

While we're at it, might as well add Dan Marino to the could have/should have(but didn't because of Buffalo) list. I think the closest he ever got to going back to the Super Bowl was in 92, Duper and Clayton's final years, they finished 11-5 and made it to the AFC Championship(in Miami) but the Bills smashed them. Even though they lost all 4 Super Bowls I still see those 90's Bills as one of the greatest teams of all time, definitely one of the greatest teams of my era, they are the reason why those great Oilers, Dolphins, and Chiefs teams of the 90's never got to the Super Bowl.
    You forgot to mention the Raiders, who got smoked in the 91 AFCCG.

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can confirm that "Team of the Week" will return starting next Sunday, highlighting a single season team from NFL history every Sunday(hopefully) through the off-season. I have a list of teams I want to cover(I'm trying to highlight at least 1 historic team from each franchise, we're about halfway through them) but if you have any that you would like to suggest you can PM me a list if you want. Would also love to get an All Time Draft going with you guys sometime over the next couple of months(hopefully not anytime soon, I'm fixing* to be very busy over the next few weeks).

*I had no idea this was just a southern term until recently. When you are "fixing" to do something, it's our way of saying we are about to be doing something, or will be doing something in the future.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can confirm that "Team of the Week" will return starting next Sunday, highlighting a single season team from NFL history every Sunday(hopefully) through the off-season. I have a list of teams I want to cover(I'm trying to highlight at least 1 historic team from each franchise, we're about halfway through them) but if you have any that you would like to suggest you can PM me a list if you want. Would also love to get an All Time Draft going with you guys sometime over the next couple of months(hopefully not anytime soon, I'm fixing* to be very busy over the next few weeks).

*I had no idea this was just a southern term until recently. When you are "fixing" to do something, it's our way of saying we are about to be doing something, or will be doing something in the future.
    1999 Jacksonville Jaguars, one of the greatest forgotten teams in NFL history. They went 15-1 during the 99 regular season, winning their division and having the best record in the NFL with home field advantage in the playoffs only to lose to the Titans in the AFCCG, also the 2006 San Diego Chargers aswell.

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketmansid View Post
    1999 Jacksonville Jaguars, one of the greatest forgotten teams in NFL history. They went 15-1 during the 99 regular season, winning their division and having the best record in the NFL with home field advantage in the playoffs only to lose to the Titans in the AFCCG, also the 2006 San Diego Chargers aswell.
    Actually, the Jags went 14-2. They went undefeated against all but one team, as they lost both regular season games, and the AFC Championship game to the Titans.

Still My Champ
    Thanks, surrender.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CM Punk'd View Post
    Actually, the Jags went 14-2. They went undefeated against all but one team, as they lost both regular season games, and the AFC Championship game to the Titans.
    My mistake for the record but what a underratedly good team. That could of been the Jags year its crazy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It caught my eye recently while looking at some stats just how wide open the NFL was in 1999. It was comparable to 1980, there was a turnover in the league. The two defending Super Bowl teams(Falcons and Broncos) fell apart, you had the two wild card teams in the NFC finishing 8-8. A lot of the players from the 90's were on their way out or on their way down. Payton Manning was like 22-23 years old? Very interesting season, it was anybody's game that year. Hell, Wade Phillips' Buffalo Bills had the Titans beat in that playoff game until the Music City Miracle. I remember the Redskins losing to Tampa in the Divisional Round on a botched last second field goal that would have put them in the NFC Championship. I remember being so mad. The Redskins were built to give that Rams team some problems if they could have made it to the NFC Championship, hell Tampa gave'em hell with backup QB Sean King(or whatever that guys name was).
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 02-08-2016 at 08:10 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It caught my eye recently while looking at some stats just how wide open the NFL was in 1999. It was comparable to 1980, there was a turnover in the league. The two defending Super Bowl teams(Falcons and Broncos) fell apart, you had the two wild card teams in the NFC finishing 8-8. A lot of the players from the 90's were on their way out or on their way down. Payton Manning was like 22-23 years old? Very interesting season, it was anybody's game that year. Hell, Wade Phillips' Buffalo Bills had the Titans beat in that playoff game until the Music City Miracle. I remember the Redskins losing to Tampa in the Divisional Round on a botched last second field goal that would have put them in the NFC Championship. I remember being so mad. The Redskins were built to give that Rams team some problems if they could have made it to the NFC Championship, hell Tampa gave'em hell with backup QB Sean King(or whatever that guys name was).
    That was the year when Schottenheimer was their head coach. And it was his only year. He wanted to help build the team, but Snyder only wanted him to coach. And he bolted after that.

Still My Champ
    Thanks, surrender.

Thread Information