Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Japanís Rich MMA History: The Ken Shamrock Interview

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Japanís Rich MMA History: The Ken Shamrock Interview

A friend of mine on this forum has been working on an interview with Ken Shamrock that has been posted on mixedmartialarts.com. The first part is great and includes a lot of info about Shamrock's time in the original UWF and Pro Wrestling Fujiwara Gumi promotions in Japan. For those that didn't know, UWF was a shoot style pro wrestling promotion in Japan that was basically a forerunner to modern day MMA. A lot of the UWF wrestlers were being trained in a style of submission wrestling that has deep roots in old time pro wrestling, passed on from one generation to the next by the legendary Karl Gotch and Billy Robinson. Yoshiaki Fujiwara and Karl Gotch split off after the UWF died in 1990 and they started Pro Wrestling Fujiwara Gumi in 1991. Minoru Suzuki, Masakatsu Funaki, and Ken Shamrock split off from PWFG to start Pancrase in 1993. There is some great info from this period in this interview.

Part 1 is here: http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...w-Part-1-of-7/

vCash
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Japanís Rich MMA History: The Ken Shamrock Interview

That Shamrock interview's really interesting..Gotch helping Shamrock on his submissions explains plenty about Shamrock in hindsight. I'm looking forward to reading the upcoming interview parts.

Also, hypothetically it would've been interesting to have seen Shamrock in the 1980s UWF in Japan..He could've had plenty classics against Fujiwara, Maeda, etc

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, man. I repped Bill C. when that went up. I'm finding the early MMA days really interesting, in general, and that interview will be a bit of a goldmine for information on it. One person had a comment at the end of the article, stating that the early days of MMA reminded him of the early days of big wave surfing, where there will only a few people, scattered across the world, doing it, and they started finding each other, and then it started to become a thing. I thought that was a great analogy.

Seeing a Malenko brothers match in Japan, which was worked-shoot style, I knew they were a part of the scene, but I didn't know they had direct contact with Shamrock that far back.

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...w-Part-3-of-7/

Part 3 is up, and it's all Pancrase. Ken still saying there were no works in Pancrase, though, and I find this really hard to believe. Shamrock is a fascinating combination of open and closed. One second he's telling you everything, the next, he's like a 1970s style wrestler, protecting the business.

This exchange happens:

Bill C: The two Suzuki fights- would you rather not speak on those, or can I bring those up?

Shamrock: Yeah- you know the thing is you can bring them up but I can’t talk about them. I mean, I think I’ve said enough throughout my career- and the things that I have exposed, and I’m just not gonna go there again- I already got too much heat for it from the last couple times. But, I think people know who I am, and if it’s an organization that doesn’t say “ProWrestling”- I’m not going to put myself into a situation where I’m going to let somebody degrade me, it’s not going to happen. You know, I put myself in a bad situation one time, and I never let it happen again.

What the hell is this about?

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm just now finishing up part 2. Fucking great shit right here. I've always been a big Ken Shamrock fan, probably since I was about 10! This interview really hits on some interesting info, some great questions asked, you can tell Bill really knows his stuff and did a lot of research going into the interview. I've fallen head over heels in love with the early pre-UFC Japanese shoot wrestling stuff lately. I'm really digging the Rings tapes right now and I REALLY fucking loved the PWFG shows that I've seen. You think about how everyone frothed at the mouth at how ahead of the curb Royce Gracie was back in the early days of the UFC, the Japanese shoot wrestling crew was right there with him but it's like they don't really get the credit for it. The reaction at the time I think was that Royce was inventing stuff or doing things that were new, when in fact they was nothing really new about it at all, it was all stuff that had been going on in the shoot style of pro wrestling for years and years. All of those guys were way ahead of their time. Shamrock was front and center for that whole revolution, to me he was the foundation that the UFC was built on, I don't think he gets the respect he deserves. To learn about Shamrock's roots in shoot style pro wrestling is to learn about how that foundation was built, where it came from, fascinating shit to me being a fan from the early days who never really knew the full context/backstory that tied into pro wrestling(until recently). This whole interview is really a treasure. Great fucking work Bill.

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...ew-Final-part/

The final part is up, which has a link to all the previous posts at the bottom.

I found it to be a really fascinating read. It made me like Ken more (and Royce Gracie even less).

Some highlights:

The early Lion's Den days sounds a lot like TUF. Ken had a small house on his property, where the fighters lived, and trained, and competed to become full fledged members of the Den.

The final initiation was 500 squats, sit ups, push ups, among other things, and this was after rolling with a prime Ken Shamrock for an hour.

Once they became members, Shamrock would make his new recruits train for eight straight hours before they grappled with each other because the novices would "then be too fatigued to hurt each other." Next level man shit right there.

There were a lot of NHB fights in his gym, whether it was Shamrock getting ready for UFC, or his students fighting each other, and most of this was caught on tape. But the tapes were stolen.

From day one, Royce Gracie had a personal dressing room, while everybody else shared one big room. I hate Royce Gracie.

They told Shamrock the day of UFC 1 that he couldn't wear his shoes, which Shamrock believes impeded his chances, and is typical Royce Gracie bullshit.

Shamrock has a mini-monologue about going to UFC 3 that might be the perfect representation of him:

I wasn’t there to become famous, I wasn’t there to make fifty thousand dollars. I was there for one goal, and that was to get revenge. It was to beat the guy that beat me. And, I thought that I was robbed- I thought they pulled a lot of shaky things to get that win. So, I wanted to prove to everybody that that’s what happened- it wasn’t because of my ability, because I believe that I was better than him- even with the amount of experience that I had and that he had I believed I was better than him. Even in the match, I felt like if I would have had my shoes, I would have been able to complete that leg lock- and even if I didn’t tap him out I woulda broke his leg and the fight would have gone differently. But because the shoes were taken away, it changed the dynamic of the fight- it kept me off balance, I never had been in the ring before without shoes and I never got a chance to experience walking in the ring without shoes. And so, going into that fight my mentality was it doesn’t matter. I mean I was a fighter, I was focused, I didn’t care- I just wanted to go.

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm slowly getting through these. Just read parts 4 and 5. It is fascinating stuff. One thing that surprised me is how Japanese people watch MMA/shoot-style:

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Shamrock
    Yeah, I believe that with the crowd, and the material, the information that they read and study- itís different than the U.S. where people just go and watch, and scream and yell, theyíre entertained, and theyíre all having a good time- it just seemed like the culture in Japan was that they knew everything about the fighter, they knew their background, they knew what styles they had, what their favorite move was, and what their strengths and weaknesses were. They studied everybodyís skill levels- they even had these magazines that came out which would show strengths and weaknesses in a chart that they would hand out during the fights. So they were given information- while these people would go to the fights they would hand out these charts and different things to the fans so that they could be kept up to speed on what the matchup was, what the strengths and weaknesses were, and what somebody would be trying to attack and exploit during the fight.

They were very educated and very well versed on the fighters going into the ring, so it was amazing to watch the ďoohsĒ and the ďaahsĒ when something would happen- and the quietness is what really bothered a lot of fighters coming in from other countries, because they didnít know what to expect or what to think. They were like ďWait a minute. Am I that boring? These guys arenít cheering.Ē So they would start pushing themselves harder and they would blow themselves up- in our terms, get tired and push themselves too hard- and they would run out of juice and in the later rounds they would be so tired that they couldnít move too well. So, it was definitely different to a lot of people coming from other countries when you heard the quietness, you could hear a pin drop- and that really bothered fighters in the ring because they felt like ďWow, these people are not getting into my fightĒ- which is not the case. Theyíre studying the fight and they wait for things to happen.
    I wonder if the fighters used these magazines to prepare for fights - at least when it became a real shoot.

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally caught up and read all of this. I don't have a whole lot to say about it but I was captivated by this interview. It's great that Shamrock went so in depth about all of this. Just a spectacular interview due to the knowledge of the guy asking the questions, well worth the wait. I'll have this bookmarked for a reference for many years to come. Great work Bill. I'm looking forward to your interview with Bart Vale.

Re: The Lions Den tapes. Interesting stuff. I remember seeing a documentary that was a part of a King of the Cage box set of DVD's way back in the day that featured a bunch of great footage of the Lions Den circa 1999-2000. That was really the first real MMA fight team. Interesting stuff.

Ravishing Slick Dude KashDinero's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just finished the last part.

Absolutely loved the parts regarding the early UFC's; UFC II was the first MMA show I ever saw, swiftly followed by the first show. The story about them taking his shoes away for his first fight against Gracie was pretty disgusting, but also a clear indication of just how ignorant they were to different styles of fighting. That and they really, really wanted Royce to win.
    PW Nerdery's Most Underrated Poster Of 2015

ShiningAngel

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post

Part 3 is up, and it's all Pancrase. Ken still saying there were no works in Pancrase, though, and I find this really hard to believe. Shamrock is a fascinating combination of open and closed. One second he's telling you everything, the next, he's like a 1970s style wrestler, protecting the business.

This exchange happens:

Bill C: The two Suzuki fights- would you rather not speak on those, or can I bring those up?

Shamrock: Yeah- you know the thing is you can bring them up but I canít talk about them. I mean, I think Iíve said enough throughout my career- and the things that I have exposed, and Iím just not gonna go there again- I already got too much heat for it from the last couple times. But, I think people know who I am, and if itís an organization that doesnít say ďProWrestlingĒ- Iím not going to put myself into a situation where Iím going to let somebody degrade me, itís not going to happen. You know, I put myself in a bad situation one time, and I never let it happen again.

Enjoyed reading though this. Don't follow current day MMA too much, but there was some fantastic stuff coming out of Japan back then and it's an interesting history. As for there being no worked fights in Pancrase, I gotta call BS: I think Meltzer's talked about Shamrock's match with Suzuki; Shamrock dropped the King of Pancrase Championship to Suzuki just before he left for UFC. Of course Shamrock's not going to come straight out and say it was a work. Then there's Shamrock's match with Matt Hume where Shamrock hits a Northern Lights Suplex. No way that's legit.

Funaki was said to "put over" Frank Shamrock. Frank himself said Fuanki let him win their rematches. Funaki also lost to Jason DeLucia - by accident. If you'll watch the match, you can see DeLucia has a kneebar locked in, Funaki is close to the ropes and could easily grab them but instead he moved closer to the middle of the ring to create drama - but he rolled too far and had to tap.

ShiningAngel

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post

This exchange happens:

Shamrock: Yeah- you know the thing is you can bring them up but I canít talk about them. I mean, I think Iíve said enough throughout my career- and the things that I have exposed, and Iím just not gonna go there again- I already got too much heat for it from the last couple times. But, I think people know who I am, and if itís an organization that doesnít say ďProWrestlingĒ- Iím not going to put myself into a situation where Iím going to let somebody degrade me, itís not going to happen. You know, I put myself in a bad situation one time, and I never let it happen again.

Enjoyed reading though this. Don't follow current day MMA too much, but there was some fantastic stuff coming out of Japan back then and it's an interesting history. As for there being no worked fights in Pancrase, I gotta call BS: I think Meltzer's talked about Shamrock's match with Suzuki; Shamrock dropped the King of Pancrase Championship to Suzuki just before he left for UFC. Of course Shamrock's not going to come straight out and say it was a work. Then there's Shamrock's match with Matt Hume where Shamrock hits a Northern Lights Suplex. No way that's legit.

Funaki was said to "put over" Frank Shamrock. Frank himself said Fuanki let him win their rematches. Funaki also lost to Jason DeLucia - by accident. If you'll watch the match, you can see DeLucia has a kneebar locked in, Funaki is close to the ropes and could easily grab them but instead he moved closer to the middle of the ring to create drama - but he rolled too far and had to tap.

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShiningAngel View Post

I didn't see any Pancrase until Youtube came around, and I quickly came to the same conclusion you did. Even fights like Frank vs. Bas looked worked in spots. Ken might be playing a semantic game, like the outcomes weren't predetermined, so he doesn't consider them "works", but there was definitely cooperation happening in there, and a lot more than Ken is letting on.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey guys-

Bill C here (old account was deleted, so had to register again).
    I just recently (!) saw this thread on a internet search for PWFG info. Many thanks to ShinobiMusashi for creating this thread, and thanks to those who had kind words about the Ken Shamrock interview.
    After the Shamrock interview, I posted an interview with Scott Bessac, Ken's first student- that one covers some PWFG a bit but also Pancrase to a good extent. These links to Bessac parts 1-3 should work:

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...terview-Part-1

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...terview-Part-2

http://forum.mixedmartialarts.com/ne...erview-Part-3/

If that wasn't enough goodness, I have a 3 part interview with UFC pioneer Anthony Macias going up now (at a different site). Part 1 is up, part 2 goes up in about 5 days, and a week after that part 3 should be up. For those who are familiar with Anthony- yes, we cover the controversy with him in greater detail than anywhere I've seen. At any rate, here is part 1:

http://www.boxinginsider.com/columns...ias-interview/

It's gonna be a bit, but the Bart Vale interview is next in line. That is another long one, like the Ken interview- and that one covers some serious detail on the inner workings on PWFG. Some newborn UWF stuff too actually.

Best,
    Bill C

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome to have you back Bill, I swear there is a conspiracy to wipe out all MMA/ECW fans from this forum!! Over my dead body! Fuck PG wrestling and comic books!

Love these interviews so much. Usually the first thing to come to mind about Anthony Macias is the Severn Suplex but I have a few of his fights from his IFC run and he was surprisingly good in those tapes, very interesting stuff man, keep it coming!
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 03-09-2017 at 08:13 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
    I swear there is a conspiracy to wipe out all MMA/ECW fans from this forum!!

Over my dead body! Fuck PG wrestling and comic books!

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just read the first part of the Macias interview finally, very interesting stuff, he was fighting and training right here in my back yard pretty much. I had a couple of fights in Louisiana around that same time as the fight that he mentions(edit: actually seen that his last fight in LA was in 2001, my fights there were about 7 years later) and it was pretty much like the wild wild west compared to how tightly regulated some other states were/are, even worse in Arkansas back then(where a majority of my fights were). Interesting how they exaggerated his stats for his UFC debut, he was closer to 160 pounds going against Severn in his first fight and they billed him at 190 and exaggerated his wrestling background. And Buddy Albin has to be one of the most interesting characters in old school UFC/MMA lore, heard so many wild stories about him, I believe he still works security for the UFC to this day. He was basically like a pro wrestling manager type of character back then, got in some hot water trying to book a worked match on a MMA card in Louisiana at one point that started a near riot.

Awesome shit @William C, can't wait for the rest of that interview. I've gotten into arguments on Sherdog about Macias vs Oleg being a work, hopefully he spills the beans once and for all. Macias was a bad ass in IFC, I have the tournament where he makes it to the finals of a one night 8 man tourny against Metyushenko and he looked really good and well rounded. Also took some balls to travel to Japan and fight Sakuraba in his prime.

Did Macias ever work any of the Japanese shoot wrestling promotions like Kingdom or UFO?

Also, I didn't know he fought Roy Spoon. Spoon was in the main event of the show where I fought my second fight in Shreveport LA(Dustin Poirier was supposed to be on that same card but his opponent backed out at the last minute), his coach cornered me for my third fight(my little bro couldn't make the trip, they took me in, cornered me and let me use their dressing room since I was the only other guy there from Texas). One of the guys I trained with fought Spoon(lost).

I never really put a whole lot of thought into his career but looking at where he came from and how much he fought around here in the early days I think you could say Macias was definitely one of the pioneers of MMA coming out of the midsouth fight scene, even though he didn't have a whole lot of success on the big stage he went toe to toe with Severn and Sakuraba for crying out loud, back when those guys were in their primes and pound for pound best on the planet, I got to give the man his props.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 03-10-2017 at 02:33 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I swear there is a conspiracy to wipe out all MMA/ECW fans from this forum!! Over my dead body! Fuck PG wrestling and comic books!

Ya'll need some qualudes. I read comics sometimes(old ones).

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad you like the first part of the Macias interview. The second part (and third) contains the goods that most would want to know (UFC shenanigans).

I did not know that you had a number of MMA fights, very interesting!

Yeah, apparently UFC (plus Pancrase) would fudge numbers like weight. In the first UFC's, most everyones record was blown up, as there really were almost no pro MMA records back then. They said Royce had something like a 59-1 ammy record back then. They also reported Ken's PWFG record as legit (they gave the wrong PWFG record anyway IIRC).

I don't think Anthony was ever in any of the shoot wrestling type organizations. He fought a lot of regional 8 man tournaments though around the time of that IFC event you mention.

I also don't think Buddy Albin works with UFC anymore- I think he has a construction company. You may be thinking of Charlie Anzalone? (who coincidentally comes up in part 2)

Anthony does open up about the Oleg match- you'll see that in a few days. People on sherdog were arguing that the Oleg fight wasn't worked? I'm not sure there are a lot of people who post there that are knowledgeable about the 90's era MMA/NHB.

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by William C View Post
    I did not know that you had a number of MMA fights, very interesting!
    These cats on this forum have probably had a belly full of my war stories. I try not to talk about it anymore, sometimes I can't help it.

Yeah, apparently UFC (plus Pancrase) would fudge numbers like weight. In the first UFC's, most everyones record was blown up, as there really were almost no pro MMA records back then. They said Royce had something like a 59-1 ammy record back then. They also reported Ken's PWFG record as legit (they gave the wrong PWFG record anyway IIRC).
    I remember back in the day watching those tapes how they would bill Shamrock as a Shoot Fighter from Japan, they talked about it like it was some legit underground fighting league or something, the whole time they were talking about his worked matches in UWF and PWFG, he was a pro wrestler, its just that pro wrestling IS legit. Also still get a laugh every time I hear Rich Goins voice announcing, "With a record of 200-0 in bareknuckle challenge matches!" and some made up black belt for some martial art that probably doesn't even exist. Ain't nothing like the old school UFC.

I don't think Anthony was ever in any of the shoot wrestling type organizations. He fought a lot of regional 8 man tournaments though around the time of that IFC event you mention.
    Seems like he would have been a prime guy to go to a place like Kingdom or UFO since they were booking some of his peers from the early days of the UFC. Speaking of which I know Mark Hall was doing matches in Kingdom and UFO, I bet he's a guy that would be easy to get a hold of for an interview like this(and probably has some juicy stories to tell). Probably can reach him through his website. I randomly ran into him at the Bellator show in Houston last year and we had like a 15 minute long conversation about his career, I was probably the only person in the building that recognized who he was. Really nice guy.

I also don't think Buddy Albin works with UFC anymore- I think he has a construction company. You may be thinking of Charlie Anzalone? (who coincidentally comes up in part 2)
    I'll be damned, I always thought that guy was Buddy Albin running around with the fighters like a pro wrestling manager with his chest hair hanging out. I wonder how the hell he got and has kept a job as a UFC security guy for so long, must have friends in high places in Vegas.

Anthony does open up about the Oleg match- you'll see that in a few days. People on sherdog were arguing that the Oleg fight wasn't worked? I'm not sure there are a lot of people who post there that are knowledgeable about the 90's era MMA/NHB.
    Can't wait to read that part. Yeah, some of the folks on Sherdog are sucker ass marks. I still think Tank would have destroyed Oleg Taktarov had Oleg had a real fight in the second round of that tourny. It's sad to me that Tank stole the show in both of those tournys and was kinda robbed in the finals because his opponents had easy worked matches in the semi finals, while Tank was taking out all the freak behemoths in the tournament.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 03-10-2017 at 11:13 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, Tank did get screwed bad in those 2 tourneys.

Mark Hall went on theMMACommunity.com and did a Q and A there:

https://themmacommunity.com/threads/...ra-hall.14999/

I think I asked him about Kingdom, and his worked match with Frye. He also talked about it in his book.

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by William C View Post
    Yeah, Tank did get screwed bad in those 2 tourneys.

Mark Hall went on theMMACommunity.com and did a Q and A there:

https://themmacommunity.com/threads/...ra-hall.14999/

I think I asked him about Kingdom, and his worked match with Frye. He also talked about it in his book.
    Oh wow, that was about a month after I met him. Very cool. Going to check that out soon.

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mark Hall is a bigger Rickson fan than I am. I didn't see that coming.

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm interested in how he claims that they offered him a spot in the first middleweight tourny for doing the job for Frye. That's different from the version I heard. I wonder how he would have done in that tourny, would have been UFC 12 I assume, which was Bohlander, Wallid Ismail, Takahashi and the two jobbers that I forgot about(one was an alternate in the finals). He would have had his hands full with Bohlander but probably would have given Takahashi and Ismail a hard time.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anthony Macias part 2 of 3 is up, which covers UFC 4 through 6:

http://www.boxinginsider.com/intervi...erview-part-2/

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anthony Macias Part 3 of 3 is up:

http://www.boxinginsider.com/columns...erview-part-3/

It will be a while but the next one up is the massive Bart Vale interview. We cover lots of Newborn UWF and my favorite, PWFG.

Thread Information