Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: General Boxing Discussion Thread

Josh Dionio

Default General Boxing Discussion Thread

Welcome to the General Boxing Discussion, Fight, & Announcement thread. Feel free to post your views, any upcoming or ongoing fights, or just any reasonable announcements on the sweet science as it's called.

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: General Boxing Discussion, Fight, and Announcement Thread

Man I love reading about old school boxing. Recently watched a great trilogy of fights between Tony Zale and Rocky Graziano:

Also, Mercel Cerdan was a badass. Here is a great picture of him putting Zale on the deck:

I recently converted my back storage room of my house into a gym. I went all out, repainted it, laid a nice wood floor down over the concrete, dug the old punching bag and all of my old gear out and set it up along with my treadmill. I've been looking for some pictures to hang on the wall and I love these old boxing pics. Great stuff.

vCash
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rare Raven sighting in this forum. I was looking to see what new podcasts I had to listen to for the day. This week's New Yorker podcast is something that may interest you. It's about the current state of Boxing, and it's place in the wide world of sports. It's a good listen. Only about 16 minutes long.

http://www.newyorker.com/podcast/out...-sweet-science

vCash
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GGG vs Mayweather please and Deontay Wilder vs Klitschko. Thank you. I say those as a bit of an exaggeration. I am a huge Klitschko fan. Deontay and GGG are two of the most interesting new things I have seen in fight sport in quite a while.
    I am your God

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread is a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Theend View Post
    GGG vs Mayweather please and Deontay Wilder vs Klitschko. Thank you. I say those as a bit of an exaggeration. I am a huge Klitschko fan. Deontay and GGG are two of the most interesting new things I have seen in fight sport in quite a while.
    Mayweather would be crazy to take that fight. Golovkin is a guy that basically has to starve himself to cut to 160, and he has huge, Tyson-like P4P punching power. Steel chin or not, Mayweather could hit the floor like a sack of shit against this guy. Mayweather doesn't need to take this fight. I mean take my fucking money and book the fight by all means. But it's a crazy fight for Floyd.

I keep trying to convince myself that Wilder can do something against Klitschko. Like, desperately trying to convince myself. But I can't. Klitschko wins a UD losing four rounds at most.

Josh Dionio

I just don't see Floyd taking a dangerous fight. If he feels he's got a chance to lose, he's not gonna book it. That's why he's trying to push De La Hoya for a match.

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know people believe Floyd ducks, and they may have a point, but to me, this wouldn't be ducking a fight. This fight just makes no sense.

Floyd will take Khan, and the saddest thing is, Khan probably is the most dangerous fight left for Floyd outside of Golovkin.

Josh Dionio

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    I know people believe Floyd ducks, and they may have a point, but to me, this wouldn't be ducking a fight. This fight just makes no sense.

Floyd will take Khan, and the saddest thing is, Khan probably is the most dangerous fight left for Floyd outside of Golovkin.
    The next fight is Floyd's last on his Showtime contract. Afterwards, who knows if he's gonna keep fighting. I'm doubting it cause he's not getting any younger. We'll see though.

vCash
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I know he won't fight GGG but a boy can dream. And yes GGG is too big for him. But the drama of knowing at any given moment GGG may lay him out would make it more interesting.

Same with Klitschko and Deontay. Deontay is still rough but in Klitschko's last fight he had trouble fighting a good athlete that was a decent boxer. I love Klitschko and the pageantry but he looks more vulnerable everyday.

I wanted to spur some conversation. GGG will most likely fight Cotto next and Klitschko will most likely fight Tyson Fury.
    I am your God

afterglow

Luckily for Wlad, there isn't much decent about Wilder, other than his power. I find nothing interesting about him at all. Total can crusher.

Floyd vs GGG is just a bad idea. There is no reason for Floyd to fight someone that size.

I feel kinda invincible Kilgore's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably an unpopular opinion, but here goes a rant -- I hate Golovkin. I don't hate watching him fight, that's a good time, just the whole bullshit hype job around him. He has the sorriest list of wins I've ever seen somebody get into the Top 10 P4P with. It's absolutely pathetic, never beating a Top 50 fighter in the world, and it all gets excused because people believe his crooked promoter when he says, "Nobody wants to fight him." First of all, never believe anybodies promoter. Especially a guy that has this as his Twitter avatar. Look at that asshole. Secondly, fighters like Lara and Ward have called him out in the past -- Lara still is -- So it's just not true. Anytime a decent fighter has stepped forward to fight Golovkin, Golovkin's team comes back with an intentionally low ball offer, so the opponent walks away, and they can claim the duck afterwards. It's promotion 101. "EVERYBODY IS SCARED!1" Meanwhile, with Lara specifically calling Golovkin out aggressively now, Team Golovkin pretends it's not happening, by saying things like, "Lara never called us." It's always the Superstar side who initiates all calls, which is how I know his team is full of shit. Do you think anybody calls Floyd Mayweather? Floyd's people call you. And I know Team Golovkin knows this, because that's how their last fight got made, when they convinced Willie Monroe Jr (who is terrible, by the way), to step aside from his mandatory challenge for Cotto's belt, and face Golovkin instead. If you suck, Team Golovkin knows protocol. If you're good, they sit idle, or turn their phones on vibrate, claiming it's not ringing, while complaining that Welterweight superstars of the world don't want to move up to Middleweight to fight him (Why would they?). Golovkin might be great, but he's done nothing to prove it, and the rush by people to call him so, really rubs me the wrong way. I fucking hate a hype job. I hope Ward gets his shit together, and challenges Golovkin again, because he'd embarrass him.

Quote Originally Posted by Theend View Post
    I wanted to spur some conversation. GGG will most likely fight Cotto next
    Cotto is fighting Canelo in the fall. GGG will probably share the ring with another bum.

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshDionio View Post
    The next fight is Floyd's last on his HBO contract. Afterwards, who knows if he's gonna keep fighting. I'm doubting it cause he's not getting any younger. We'll see though.
    Don't you mean it's the last on his Showtime contract?

Still My Champ
    Thanks, surrender.

Josh Dionio

Quote Originally Posted by CM Punk'd View Post
    Don't you mean it's the last on his Showtime contract?
    Yeah, I posted it when I was half awake.

Josh Dionio

The numbers are in for the Mayweather Pacquiao fight. Per BJPenn.com

In May, Floyd Mayweather met Manny Pacquiao in what was being labeled as the biggest fight in boxing history. While the fight itself did not live up to expectations, the two legends still managed to break records and as a result of that, will get an astronomical payday.

ESPN is reporting that Floyd Mayweather will make up to $230 million for thirty six minutes of in-ring action. Manny Pacquiao, based on the agreed 60%/40% payout split will be earning around $150 million.

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshDionio View Post
    The numbers are in for the Mayweather Pacquiao fight. Per BJPenn.com

In May, Floyd Mayweather met Manny Pacquiao in what was being labeled as the biggest fight in boxing history. While the fight itself did not live up to expectations, the two legends still managed to break records and as a result of that, will get an astronomical payday.

ESPN is reporting that Floyd Mayweather will make up to $230 million for thirty six minutes of in-ring action. Manny Pacquiao, based on the agreed 60%/40% payout split will be earning around $150 million.
    Wow. That's almost $8 million a minute for Mayweather.

Still My Champ
    Thanks, surrender.

Josh Dionio

Quote Originally Posted by CM Punk'd View Post
    Wow. That's almost $8 million a minute for Mayweather.
    And $4.17 million a minute for Pacquiao.

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Floyd Mayweather was stripped of the WBO Welterweight Championship because he failed to pay the $200,000 sanctioning fee for his big fight with Manny Pacquiao.

You think this will open the door for GGG going for the belt sooner than later?

Still My Champ
    Thanks, surrender.

I feel kinda invincible Kilgore's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://espn.go.com/blog/dan-rafael/p...ke-ward-vs-ggg

Blue collar hero, and man who will face "anybody 154-168," Gennady Golovkin, has put in his demands for an Andre Ward fight, and it includes a catchweight of 164. Ward hasn't fought that low since 2006 (George W. Bush was still the president, The Office was in its second season & Kate Upton was in Junior High), so he will surely decline. This will further push forward the (bullshit) narrative that "nobody" wants to face Golovkin. This is what they do.

With Cotto and Canelo putting a new chapter on the P.R./Mexico Rivalry in the Fall, and Mayweather most likely facing somebody in his own weight class at 147 in September, it's only a matter of time before Golovkin lines up a fight with another bum to end the year.

vCash
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Klitschko vs Tyson is in ink for October. I am looking forward to see Klitschko fight in germany again
    I am your God

vCash
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talk about GGG vs Bernard Hopkins. Interesting way to try to make things relevant.
    I am your God

afterglow

Keith Thurman is a straight up hype job. He looked like shit last night.

vCash
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Floyd vs Andre Berto on CBS. No PPV? Sounds improbable but imagine if Floyd lost.
    I am your God

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

God damn I love these old fights like this:

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roy Jones calling out the Klitschkos is F'n HILLARIOUS!!

vCash
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

never say boxers don't know how to grapple
    http://fightstate.com/shane-mosley-c...lfriends-butt/
    I am your God

Thread Information