Thread: General Boxing Discussion Thread

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: General Boxing Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by HilaryFan View Post
    I seem to disagree with the judges almost every time nowadays...

It was very, very close but I do think GGG lost, and I also believe they were never going to give a decision against him, as there is too much money in Alvarez GGG.

It wasn't "outrage" worthy, but it smelt a little bit dodgy.

117-112 on two cards is fucking bullshit, even if GGG did win
    I was there and I am never one to score rounds and I have a confirmation bias towards GGG. His jab was clean and effective and was used predominately through a good bit of the fight. GGG had the knockdown and a good part of the early rounds. But boy did the mood and momentum shift in the middle when Jacobs started to look good. But it didn't seem like he was landing as much as he threw. Maybe it was being there live and the crowd, but everytime Jacobs threw a combo the audience ate it up like it all landed but it seemed very little did. Jacobs clearly won a bunch of the middle rounds and the last few rounds were close and up for grabs. End of the fight I wouldn't have been too shocked if the hometown boy got the win. The crowd started the night 80/20 for GGG and by fight start it was 60/40. By mid fight it was 70/30 in favor of Jacobs.

I was more shocked by the Chocolatito decision.
    I am your God

I feel kinda invincible Kilgore's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not one to overstate close decisions that go the opposite ways of my opinion. That fight wasn't one of those. I gave Golovkin three rounds. Maybe 4, if you give him the 12th, where not much happened. I thought it was an absolutely atrocious decision. Outside rounds 4 and 5, I'm not sure what Golovin accomplished.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
    I'm not one to overstate close decisions that go the opposite ways of my opinion. That fight wasn't one of those. I gave Golovkin three rounds. Maybe 4, if you give him the 12th, where not much happened. I thought it was an absolutely atrocious decision. Outside rounds 4 and 5, I'm not sure what Golovin accomplished.
    I've got to believe it is all the steady jab that disrupted Jacobs for the fight. But, I would have to watch it analytically and not as a fan to be sure. And of course the knockdown in the fourth.

Interesting trivia note. If Jacobs would have won he wouldn't of won the IBF belt. The IBF requires a weigh in 24 hrs after the initial weigh in. If you are over 10 lbs from your weigh in you are out of contention. Jacobs declined the weigh in. He was likely over 10 lbs over his weigh in weight. He came in really big for the fight. I could see this weighing in on GGG in considering ever fighting Jacobs again. I would be less likely to fight a guy who came in that heavy. 30 days out Jacobs was also 10lbs heavier than GGG.
    Last edited by Theend; 03-19-2017 at 11:16 PM.
    I am your God

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welp, GGG did throw and land more punches than Jacobs.
    I am your God

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone have thoughts on vasyl lomachenko?
    I am your God

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Theend View Post
    Anyone have thoughts on vasyl lomachenko?
    Well one of the best in the world will be fighting tonight if anyone cares to see the best fighters in the world fight
    I am your God

vCash
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Theend View Post
    Well one of the best in the world will be fighting tonight if anyone cares to see the best boxers in the world box
    Fixed

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh no. you have to go here the talent is. the talent is in boxing.
    I am your God

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
    Fixed
    What a pointless, dismissive post that was.

vCash
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was just playing around with Theend, I know he doesn't care for MMA and he thinks boxers are far superior fighters, even though I disagree with him doesn't mean I think any less of him. I love boxing but it's only 1 phase of combat(and only 1 of many dimensions of that phase, only allowed to utilize a quarter of the 8 weapons of the human body), there are 2 whole other phases of combat that are not even allowed in boxing, to say that the boxing match going head to head with UFC last night was the real best fighters in the world is pretty bold statement, one that I disagree with. I appreciate and enjoy boxing for the science that it is but If you can't fight on the ground you can't fight. DC would get destroyed against either of these guys in a boxing match but he would ground both of them and dominate them in a real fight. My opinion. Sorry that there was no point and sorry for being dismissive mr. high and mighty Todd, I am not worthy of your heavenly prim and proper perfect posting etiquette in such a highly esteemed establishment such as this ethereal pro wrestling forum. Please please forgive me.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 04-09-2017 at 10:38 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no worries. I am a huge mma fan in general. sadly though I have fallen off. Just due to the oddity that MMA is best socially as televised entertainment and for whatever reason I can always watch boxing. Even alone on a dessert isle.

Boxing draws global talent and has a huge pool to pull that talent up from. MMA is more a fad phenomenon in the terms of talent. That is why I say the best in the world. Lomachenko has over 400 fights. No one in MMA can come close to that. It just isn't that developed and the craft doesn't get refined without that development.

Part of it is because unified boxing is 100 yrs old. Part of it is the money. A big part of it is just popularity and structure. When MMA can create global talent like a card with 3 Ukranian fighters on it, then we can see real depth of talent. You can already see it other activities that are the same age as MMA but MMA just can't pull out the talent for whatever reason.
    Shin probably knows that I am a deep student of the whole fight game more than many here.
    Last edited by Theend; 04-09-2017 at 12:28 PM.
    I am your God

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
    Sorry that there was no point and sorry for being dismissive mr. high and mighty Todd, I am not worthy of your heavenly prim and proper perfect posting etiquette in such a highly esteemed establishment such as this ethereal pro wrestling forum. Please please forgive me.

Get help mate.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time is near for one of the all time greatest heavyweights to possibly reclaim his throne. Klitschko fights this weekend. I find it interesting how razor thin the precipice of boxing can be. If he loses this fight many are saying it could be over for Klitschko. That is comical as he would have only lost two fights in a row. He doesn't have much of a size advantage going into this fight. His opponent has KO power but he has very little experience. Could be an interesting passing of a torch and a sad day for the heavyweight division. Or a great rise of the elder statesman of boxing to show his cagy veteran skills.
    I am your God

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Down goes Klitschko. Glad to hear Mauro doing what he was meant to do.
    I am your God

PW Tag Team Champion!! HilaryFan's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the great fights of heavyweight boxing. Truly had it all, and a new king is born.

Now bring on Tyson Fury to outbox him over 12

( ?_?) - 97% of PW suddenly think Michael Cole is awesome. If you're part of the 3% that still thinks he is an annoying tool, copy & paste this into your sig.

Currently Playing: Suikoden 1, Max Payne 1, Beyond Good and Evil, MGS Peace Walker

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HilaryFan View Post
    One of the great fights of heavyweight boxing. Truly had it all, and a new king is born.

Now bring on Tyson Fury to outbox him over 12
    Amazing to see Tyson Fury is working on losing 100 pounds.
    I am your God

I feel kinda invincible Kilgore's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully Wlad goes away now.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
    Hopefully Wlad goes away now.
    I am generally his fan boy but yeah, he just so isn't in the picture. He can take the winner of Oquendo vs Briggs.
    I am your God

PW Tag Team Champion!! HilaryFan's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the payday and the chance to outbox the golden boy, Fury will drop the weight

( ?_?) - 97% of PW suddenly think Michael Cole is awesome. If you're part of the 3% that still thinks he is an annoying tool, copy & paste this into your sig.

Currently Playing: Suikoden 1, Max Payne 1, Beyond Good and Evil, MGS Peace Walker

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wlad actually looked good last night but it was that uppercut in the 11th, dear God what a shot. He was never coming back.

Joshua is big, fast, powerful, and can take a shot. He doesn't have great movement but he ticks enough boxes to be the dominant force for a while.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canelo vs Chavez coming up this weekend. This could set the stage or derail Canelo vs GGG. Chavez is naturally the bigger and stronger opponent. I am curious to see how he does making weight. He usually cuts super hard.
    I am your God

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't watched or followed boxing for so long and especially the heavyweights. For so many years the fights I've bothered to watch live have been massive let downs 2nd round knockouts or defensive snooze fests or packed into a bar so tight that you can hardly see the screen. I just decided to watch the Klitschko v Joshua fight. Holy shit! that was amazing. It really had everything multiple knockdowns a good story an even fight that went 11 rounds. I would put that up there with some of the best fights I've ever seen.

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, I don't think Chavez decided to show up to the fight at all. I could have given that performance.
    I am your God

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chavez vs Canelo never made sense aside from being a cash grab IMO, and the outcome is only surprising in that Chavez was not KO'd.

The debate in my house (full of latinos) is whether Canelo did not go for the kill out of respect for Chavez Sr. or if the extra muscle/weight led to him gassing a bit and taking his foot off the pedal.

Credit to BezerroBizarro from DeviantArt and Lony for Resisizing!
    http://bezerrobizarro.deviantart.com...oshi-163705876
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    0 days since a Cena fight. C'mon guys we need to at least get it up to two.
    http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=123457 THE KID VS DOSE MATCH IS ON!!!!

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dose View Post
    Chavez vs Canelo never made sense aside from being a cash grab IMO, and the outcome is only surprising in that Chavez was not KO'd.

The debate in my house (full of latinos) is whether Canelo did not go for the kill out of respect for Chavez Sr. or if the extra muscle/weight led to him gassing a bit and taking his foot off the pedal.
    I would have thought the KO would have made him more threatening to GGG. Knowing that he didn't KO a punching bag in front of him, gives me a false confidence that he can't KO GGG. And fighting 12 rounds with GGG is dangerous in any round.

It seemed like Canelo would step in and put three four punches together and then step out. Never committed to longer combinations. I am not saying that is detailed analysis, it just seemed like he poked in and poked out and didn't kill.
    I am your God

Thread Information