Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cannabis History Thread.Have You Tried It? Do You Hate It? Post Here Irregardless

vCash
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Cannabis History Thread.Have You Tried It? Do You Hate It? Post Here Irregard

Are you more in favor of legalization or decriminalization?
    I am your God

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Cannabis History Thread.Have You Tried It? Do You Hate It? Post Here Irregard

I've tried it a few times with friends. All I can remember is yelling about kermit the frog and zombies, so...

It was fun though. Would try it again if I had the means.

Commitment to Excellence ORaider27's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Theend View Post
    Are you more in favor of legalization or decriminalization?
    Both. Decriminalization is an acceptable first step. But given that some strains are great for use in treating anxiety disorders, ADD and ADHD , or any of a large number of other mental and physical issues, in addition to the use of it religiously by several faiths, legalization is the ultimate goal.
    Insei makes the best banners and avs
    "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all."
    "It is the responsibility of intellectuals to speak the truth and expose lies."
    Both quotes by Noam Chomsky
    "We are all Africans." -- Richard Dawkins
    Sports Empire HOF 2008 PW HOF 2015

vCash
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ORaider27 View Post
    Both. Decriminalization is an acceptable first step. But given that some strains are great for use in treating anxiety disorders, ADD and ADHD , or any of a large number of other mental and physical issues, in addition to the use of it religiously by several faiths, legalization is the ultimate goal.
    Here is my sincere question. It is about the end game. Let's say it is accepted as a medication. The big pharma companies will most likely lock up the bulk of the market. The FDA will get involved and it will become a horrible industry right? They will taint it and change it and charge up the ass for it and turn it to a poison.

Or do you see it differently?
    I am your God

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is my sincere question. It is about the end game. Let's say it is accepted as a medication. The big pharma companies will most likely lock up the bulk of the market. The FDA will get involved and it will become a horrible industry right? They will taint it and change it and charge up the ass for it and turn it to a poison.

Or do you see it differently?
    I can certainly see that as a possibility. I don't believe it is a given though. While costs would likely jump as demand initially outpaced production, allowing legal producers should allow costs to drop.
    "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all."

vCash
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can certainly see that as a possibility. I don't believe it is a given though. While costs would likely jump as demand initially outpaced production, allowing legal producers should allow costs to drop.
    do you believe a legal market could be cheaper than a black market from foreign countries? I feel like a regulated medical market would persistently be undercut by a black market tainted in blood and crap growth techniques.
    I am your God

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

do you believe a legal market could be cheaper than a black market from foreign countries? I feel like a regulated medical market would persistently be undercut by a black market tainted in blood and crap growth techniques.
    I think competition benefits everyone. When you have an educated market and quality producers, I think local, legal production will always be cheaper than shipping from other locations.

vCash
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think competition benefits everyone. When you have an educated market and quality producers, I think local, legal production will always be cheaper than shipping from other locations.
    right because that works in women's handbags
    I am your God

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

right because that works in women's handbags
    Yeah, there's a lot of places that it does and with a lot of different crops. Tomatoes are cheaper where they are locally grown.

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So....I was doing some more research and came across a few very interesting things...First, this footage which talks about cannabis being able to kill cancer, plus it shows cannabis killing cancer cells at the end of the video...

Very pertinent video talking about the endocannabinoid system..

Dr. Cristina Sanchez explains how cannabis can kill cancer

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, since Theend and ORaider27 are debating about legalization of cannabis in the US, I delved into Uruguay's laws(so far) about their legalized cannabis..For the thing I'll post below, it was copy/pasted from the wiki site(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_in_Uruguay) detailing Uruguay's cannabis laws-

Cannabis is one of the most widely used drugs in Uruguay.[1] Possession for personal use is not penalized, although today's law does not specify quantity for "personal amount".[2] In August 2014 Uruguay legalized growing up to six plants at home, and in October 2014 the Government began registering growers' clubs, who will be allowed to grow a maximum of 99 cannabis plants annually.[3] Before November 30, 2014 president election, the leading opposition candidate claimed that he would try to repeal the law if elected, but since he lost election this did not happen.

In June 2012, the Uruguayan government, under president Mujica, announced plans to legalise state-controlled sales of cannabis in order to fight drug-related crimes and health issues. The government stated that they will ask global leaders to do the same.[5] Nobel prize winner Mario Vargas Llosa praised the decision as "courageous".[6]

The law intends to reduce the profit that drug trafficking creates for organized crime, as well as reducing the drug-related violence and the social problems associated with it.[7] Uruguay has one of the lowest murder rates in the region (though by some estimates, crime was slightly increasing in 2013).[8][9]

Mujica's plan would allow users to cultivate the plant for non-commercial uses and grant licenses to professional farmers for larger scale production. The plan includes a system of user registry, a tax, and quality control, all coordinated through the existing agency that monitors tobacco, alcohol, and pharmaceuticals.[10] He estimated that with 70,000 users, the country will have to produce more than 5,000 pounds each month.[11] He also stated: "Uruguay wants to make a 'contribution to humanity' by legalising marijuana but will backtrack if the 'experiment' goes awry".[12]

On 31 July 2013, the House of Representatives passed the bill to legalize and regulate the production and sale of cannabis and sent it to the country's Senate.[13][14] The bill was approved by 50 affirmative votes (the minimum required) with all Deputies from the ruling Broad Front voting in favor and all the other Deputies voting against it.[15] The bill was passed by the Senate's Health Commission on 26 November and was expected to be voted by the full Senate since November 2013.[16]

The new law was accepted in the Senate on 10 December 2013 by a 16–13 vote.[17] Julio Calzada, Secretary-General of Uruguay’s National Drug Council, explained in a December 2013 interview that the government will be responsible for regulating the production side of the process: "Companies can get a license to cultivate if they meet all the criteria. However, this won’t be a free market. The government will control the entire production and determine the price, quality, and maximum production volume."[18] People will be allowed to buy up to 40 grams (1.4 oz) of cannabis from the Uruguayan government each month. Users have to be 18 or older and be registered in a national database to track their consumption. Cultivators are allowed to grow up to 6 crops at their homes each year and shall not surpass 480 grams (17 oz). Registered smoking clubs will be allowed to grow 99 plants annually. Buying cannabis will be prohibited to foreigners[19] and it will be illegal to move it across international borders.

In July 2014 president Josť Mujica announced that the implementation of the law is postponed to 2015, "there are practical difficulties". Authorities will grow all the cannabis that can be sold legally. Concentration of THC shall be 15% or lower.[21]

In August 2014, an opposition presidential candidate claimed that the new law was unworkable and would never be applied.

Speaking of Uruguay, this VICE video is very telling..

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Cunt View Post
    Pot is the least enjoyable drug I've ever done. Its definitely not my thing and I've used it 25-50 times in my life but a lot of people enjoy it and I'm all for legalizing it. Still though mushrooms and alchohol are so much more enjoyable for me personally.
    http://www.providencejournal.com/art...News/301049992

According to that, our tiny state has the most weed users in the country per capita, which doesn't surprise me- half my co-workers spend their breaks in their cars, half of my band, in their mid-40's now, still smoke like they did when they were teenagers. Personally, I don't care if people use it or not (as long as I don't have to hear their boring conversations about it, or endless Big Lebowski quotes), with the exception of my kids. My daughter's got her head on her shoulders, but my son blew off a job interview last year when he got high with his dumbass "friends". Well technically, he did show up for it, but was too stoned to do the interview, and asked if they could reschedule. For some strange reason, they declined. Now, he's in an assisted-living apartment, clean and sober, and has gone back to college. So, fingers crossed on that...

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Decriminalisation makes sense to me as I see it as no more harmful than booze and cigarettes (Which I think are both harmful)
    I don't think people should get high on pot, mostly because the only people I come across in real life who are huge advocates are losers.
    I am sure there's a heap of professionals who smoke pot and just don't feel the need to make a huge deal about it... Just obviously, I haven't had them raise the subject for me.

The main reason I support decriminalisation is for the huge amount of money governments spend on catching growers and personal users... It's a waste and presents no benefit to society.
    I also think that any employer should be able to mandate a 0% level for any drug they name on a tox screen, it's your right as an employer.

They still play defense? The Real LT's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iNCY View Post
    Decriminalisation makes sense to me as I see it as no more harmful than booze and cigarettes (Which I think are both harmful)
    I don't think people should get high on pot, mostly because the only people I come across in real life who are huge advocates are losers.
    I am sure there's a heap of professionals who smoke pot and just don't feel the need to make a huge deal about it... Just obviously, I haven't had them raise the subject for me.

The main reason I support decriminalisation is for the huge amount of money governments spend on catching growers and personal users... It's a waste and presents no benefit to society.
    I also think that any employer should be able to mandate a 0% level for any drug they name on a tox screen, it's your right as an employer.

That the one big downside of pot....it stays in your system so long that you'll piss hot even if you're not high on the job. The main reason for drug testing IMO is you don't want your employees intoxicated at work. A Breathalyzer does that for alcohol and you can still drink in your private life. Would be nice if something similar could be invented for pot, cause I sincerely believe as long as you're not high at work what you do on your time is your own business. Now if you work a job where you can be called in 24/7 at any moment, that's a different story.

I'm definitely in favor of decriminalization at the very least.....with legalization being the ideal goal. American drug policy as is stands has been a colossal failure that has wasted tax dollars, put people in prison unjustly, and has denied medical use of marijuana from people that desperately have need of it. The prohibitionists have had their way for over a 100 years and it hasn't worked.....time for them to step aside.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I smoke weed every day. I see it as such a small vice, even less so than drinking or smoking cigarettes. I am in favor of legalization in the same sense that cigarettes are legal. No I do not believe that ALL drugs should be legal. I'd love to be able to go buy a 20 pack of joints at 711. It's just a great little plant, it makes funny things funnier, it makes things that aren't even funny SEEM funny, TV shows are better and more engrossing, music is better, food tastes better, it cures nausea and other stomach pains, no one get's violent or belligerent after smoking it, overdosing on it basically amounts to taking a three hour nap.

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Real LT View Post
    That the one big downside of pot....it stays in your system so long that you'll piss hot even if you're not high on the job. The main reason for drug testing IMO is you don't want your employees intoxicated at work. A Breathalyzer does that for alcohol and you can still drink in your private life. Would be nice if something similar could be invented for pot, cause I sincerely believe as long as you're not high at work what you do on your time is your own business. Now if you work a job where you can be called in 24/7 at any moment, that's a different story.

I'm definitely in favor of decriminalization at the very least.....with legalization being the ideal goal. American drug policy as is stands has been a colossal failure that has wasted tax dollars, put people in prison unjustly, and has denied medical use of marijuana from people that desperately have need of it. The prohibitionists have had their way for over a 100 years and it hasn't worked.....time for them to step aside.
    I will stand corrected but I believe the cops here do a saliva test for all drugs.

I cannot understand why cigarettes are legal compared to any illegal substance.

vCash
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

comparing to the worst is never a good arguement. of course cigarettes are horrible.

I never see a good end to the supply chain. Either you get big pharma, big tobacco or black markets. All bad. No win. And just like women's handbags there is still a black market despite people knowing there is a quality difference.

we will never know if the prohibition of pot for the last 100 years has been a bad thing or a good thing. I still think it is up for debate on whether or not a continued prohibition on booze wouldn't have been a good thing. drunk driving, alcoholism, the death of thousands of livers, etc could be arguably be prevented in light of prohibition. Al capone vs more rampant drunk driving. which has more blood on it's hands? A prohibition of booze or accesibility to booze?
    Last edited by Theend; 03-20-2015 at 11:09 AM.
    I am your God

vCash
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the most ironic thing about pot being illegal in the us is that salvia is legal in the us.
    I am your God

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the most ironic thing about pot being illegal in the us is that salvia is legal in the us.
    Yea, you've got a point there..Salvia can be bought at smokeshops in San Francisco, for instance..Salvia's history is interesting, though..It was used mostly in the Sierra Mazateca region(near Oaxaca) Mexico. It was used by the Mazatec tribal shamans so that when the shamans had visions after taking salvia, they could use the information gleaned from spirits during their visions to help out the tribe.

I smoked salvia once back in 2006..I smoked it in a bong with a few friends and had a an out-of-body experience, which would take many paragraphs to fully describe. Suffice to say that I interacted with a few spirits and when I came back into my physical body, my vision was like someone flipping pages of a book where each page flipped every nanosecond. Overall, the trip doesn't last more than 10 minutes. The mistake I made while smoking salvia back in 2006 was that it was done in San Francisco, instead of in the woods where I could've maximized my experience and maybe gained more information from those spirits during my trip.

Wiki page on salvia-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvia_divinorum

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, I found a couple more interesting articles which are well worth reading. The 1st one is concerning how things such as IBS, migraines, fibromyalgia, etc are caused by cannabinoid deficiency within the human body itself. Part-way through the article, there's a video of Dr. Robert Melamede speaking which by all means should be listened to.

Link-

http://www.medicaljane.com/2013/11/0...th-conditions/

The other article I found was about Jamaica leading the charge in the UN to stop cannabis from being considered a high-schedule drug because of the research done proving otherwise.

Link-

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/lates...s-on-marijuana

vCash
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn't ironic pot is criminalized in Jamaica in the first place. The most common thing north americans associate with Jamaica is illegal in Jamaica.
    I am your God

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of Jamaican's believe that the first marijuana plant sprouted out of the dirt over King Soloman's grave, he was the wisest king that ever did live, he who smoked it would obtain knowledge. Maybe they were on to something. After watching an interesting documentary about the pyramids in Egypt I'm left wondering if they were the ones that cross bred the plants that gave us marijuana. I'm of the belief that the Egyptians were a lot smarter and more advanced than we give them credit for or even fully realize. There is an unexplainable energy in this world, herb is a way to connect with it I think.

vCash
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am your God

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hahah, it's about time you showed up, Shinobi! You're spot-on about Egyptians being much smarter than people give them credit for..I'll go into detail on that with you sooner than later. I also wouldn't be surprised if the Egyptians used cannabis as a multi-purpose medicine, either. Though I doubt they ended up creating cannabis, since humans have been using it for at least 30,000 years, minimum.

Theend, that's a good article you posted..I'll elaborate on it..There's a place near me in Oakland called Steep Hill Lab(you'll have to Google it because the PW system's still glitched and I can't provide a link to it) which is a cannabis testing center..You could bring in hash, brownies, bud, etc and they'll test it for you, which will let you know if there's any mold, bugs, or anything else contaminating the cannabis. I applied for a job there but they're sadly not hiring at the moment.

Yang Xiao Long fangirl Mistress's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As Incy said, i'm baffled that cigarettes are legal in comparison to other things.

Thank you Surrender!!!
    Voted Co-Most Underrated Nerdery Poster of 2014 (With Raven*)
    If prowrestling were fake, it would make every fan in the history of the sport a complete & utter moron - Monty Burns

Thread Information