Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: All New Random Help Thoughts Desk

WBL

Default Re: All New Random Help Thoughts Desk

All I know about Marvel comics, I learned from the vs. Capcom series.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just finished reading Death of a King and wow. What a finish. And the revelations and plot twists? Amazing. Didn't see any of it coming. Also, does anyone know when Rachel Rising volume 5 comes out?
    Last edited by Omar_Little2; 01-02-2015 at 08:23 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Made it through my stack of titles, much like Hickman, haven't really enjoyed Remender's Marvel work I've read (or his short stint on Booster), but I thoroughly enjoyed his indie books, Deadly Class was in fact my favorite of the bunch, have them ranked like this.

Deadly Class
    Nail Biter
    Revival
    Zero
    Black Science
    Manifest Destiny
    Pretty Deadly

Pretty Deadly is the only one I was so so with, I see potential, but it all seems pretty erratic in execution, not very tight story telling. I'll still get volume 2 to see if it can sell me more, wasn't bad, great conceptually, just something a bit off. All the other books I'm absolutely sold on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dynamite
    Sometimes a terrible idea is the best idea you got, and one thing I've learned, is always go with the best idea you got.

vCash
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh sure Rags, I'll rank those ones too. I'm current on Revival, but have only read the first trade on the rest of those.

Nail Biter
    Revival
    Manifest Destiny
    Zero
    Deadly Class
    Black Science
    Pretty Deadly

Totally with you on Pretty Deadly, which is too bad. I'll also grab volume two of all of these to see what's what.

Not sure where you are on your list, but here's another handful of Image $10 books that you might enjoy:

Velvet - Bru/Epting - Just good spy Bru stories.
    Mind the Gap - McCann/Esquejo - Three volumes out. Been on a significant hiatus.
    Sheltered - Brisson/Christmas - Book 3 comes out in March and that's the conclusion. Kids are raised in seclusion to prepare for the end of the world.
    BlackAcre - Boudreau/Cavalcanti - Two volumes out, also on hiatus. Part of the population lives in an advanced Utopia, walled off from the wilderness. The other part mostly follows a religious cult in the wilderness.
    Rat Queens - Wiebe/Upchurch - New artist Sejic is now on the book. Just pure fun. Adventures and wackiness, humour, it's a must read.
    Wicked and the Divine - Gillen/McKelvie - Yes! Yes! Yes! Every 90 years, a handful of young people get turned into Gods, and will die within two years. What would you do with godship powers for years before you die?
    Southern Bastards - Aaron/Latour - Earl Tubb returns to his home county after his dad dies. Turns out there's still nothing but football, bbq, and bastards around. So many bastards.
    The Woods (Boom) - Ok, this isn't an Image book, but it was so damn good I decided to sneak it in. I know that MSmith has been promoting it, but everyone should pick it up. Tynion IV/Dialynas have created something unique. Essentially an entire high school with the students and staff gets transported to some sort of alien planet. How they deal with the adversity is an excellent character study.

-Hayze

Quote Originally Posted by iNCY View Post
    yes I am a little bitch.

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Southern Bastards is fantastic.

Well... don'tcha?

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Out of those, I have Mind the Gap (is it ever coming back?), Southern Bastards, and Rat Queens. Have to add the Woods, everything else is on my list for some point in the future.
    Sometimes a terrible idea is the best idea you got, and one thing I've learned, is always go with the best idea you got.

vCash
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-Hayze

yes I am a little bitch.

Dr. Detfink

I have really liked Rick Remender's work, going back to the Fear Agent. He definitely doesn't hold anything precious. See: Frank Castle hacked to pieces by Daken, Wolverine killing his own son, as well as Xavier's brain being taken out of his head.

Remender was a long time indie writer...and if you remember Geoff Johns' run on Avengers, he was the inker. He's definitely the guy who has struggled to get where he is. I loved how candid he was on Word Balloon, running up a debt over $100,000 before finally breaking out. That's really scary for a creative person btw.

I think the best work Remender has done for Marvel has to be Uncanny X-Force especially when paired up with his good buddy from Fear Agent, Jerome Opena. Many writers have tried that "IF you could kill Hitler..." but Remender takes this to another level. Worth the Omnibus.

The familiar theme in all of his works is the concept where someone feels the need to do something radical or extreme (see murder) to save the world and when they do, they suddenly realize that was the WRONG way to go. It's that backlash of regret that makes you go, "Oh damn..."

By far Axis was his worst work but these events are not designed to be written well. It's basically a way to switch things up for every writer. Unfortunately for every 2-3 characters it makes more interesting, it really takes away from 7-8 titles. So I don't really judge these writers for that.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Far as I'm concerned, Mind the Gap and Blackacre are cancelled. It's been over a year since the last issue and I just cant see it coming back.

vCash
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really hope that you're wrong Omar. Especially about BlackAcre.

-Hayze

yes I am a little bitch.

vCash
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Foos View Post
    Sheltered - Brisson/Christmas - Book 3 comes out in March and that's the conclusion. Kids are raised in seclusion to prepare for the end of the world.
    I'll second this.

Sheltered is a pretty enjoyable series... probably my second favorite Image title (only behind Saga, which is amazeballs).

Banner Credit: Surrender
    Made Nerdery Moderator - April 21st, 2015

Anime Currently Watching
    Dragon Ball Super
    Skull Man, The Reflection

Is Snooker Loopy

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just read the first two issues of The Fade Out and really enjoyed it which isn't surprising since I love anything Film Noir. Have got Southern Bastards and Saga waiting for me as well which is awesome.
    Last edited by Kid A; 01-05-2015 at 09:39 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't keep up with everything comic book related but what's this I'm hearing about a new Power Girl who is black?

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Omar_Little2 View Post
    I don't keep up with everything comic book related but what's this I'm hearing about a new Power Girl who is black?
    I only vaguely recall her, but basically when Power Girl went back to Earth 2, there was an explosion with the portal, and the girl who helped build it (a genius teenager) ended up with super strength/invincibility powers, and I guess the idea was she'll take up the mantle of Power Girl in the regular DCU Earth. She just showed up again in Teen Titans, I think.

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally made it through Axis, whew was that terrible, seriously, Marvel events (since I jumped on) just suck. I can't remember enjoying a single DC event (not counting the lead in to Final Crisis, Countdown was one of the single worst things I've ever read, I'm talking about the event series itself) as little as I've (not) enjoyed the last 3 Marvel events. Age of Ultron, Original Sin, and now Axis, just crap the lot of 'em. Axis has me strongly considering dropping 2 titles I really enjoy (Loki and Magneto) just because of how closely tied they were to it. Crap on top of Crap. Where the titles themselves are pulling me towards Marvel, the events are pushing me away, what sucks, is if not for the afforementioned tie to those two titles I really enjoy, I was set to skip Axis all together, not big on Remender to begin with, but those 2 titles pulled me in. Just hell.

At least the line specific event Spider-verse has been great.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally got all the Ultimate Spider-Man trades with Peter Parker. Now I can read the series from the beginning to the moment when
    Spoiler

vCash
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boom Studios has a lot of fun books right now. From adapted tv series like Adventure Time/Regular Show/Steven Universe to Lumberjanes to the Woods. Now Tynion has another series called UFOlogy coming out in April. It's only six issues, but the premise sounds promising. His DC books are alright, but I love his indy work.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2...look/21684705/

vCash
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Mortal Kombat X, I read the first two issues on comixology and I gotta say I'm liking it so far... it helps that my favorite MK character (Scorpion) seems to be the main focus of the series which is always a plus in my opinion.

Anime Currently Watching
    Dragon Ball Super

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lony View Post
    So Mortal Kombat X, I read the first two issues on comixology and I gotta say I'm liking it so far... it helps that my favorite MK character (Scorpion) seems to be the main focus of the series which is always a plus in my opinion.
    Every review I've seen has said it's terrible, so I've avoided it, even though I'm very invested (probably too invested, honestly) in the lore of Mortal Kombat. But if you think it's not that bad, maybe I'll pick it up.

vCash
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MSmith127 View Post
    Every review I've seen has said it's terrible, so I've avoided it, even though I'm very invested (probably too invested, honestly) in the lore of Mortal Kombat. But if you think it's not that bad, maybe I'll pick it up.
    Well I do have a track record for liking bad things (I mean I did read the complete runs of the DC New 52 versions of Hawk & Dove and Teen Titans). Honestly, I like it because as I said Scorpion seems to be a main focus (as he should be), though if you do want to check it out the issues are only a dollar on comixology so maybe just check out the first issue and go from there.

Character wise we've only been introduced to...

Spoiler

so far, though that's not bad considering it's only two issues in.

In fact my biggest complaint about the series... you know when Scorpion releases the spear/harpoon thing from his hand well...

Spoiler

I haven't actually read any reviews for the series though... might just have to look a few up to see what people are saying.

Anime Currently Watching
    Dragon Ball Super

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone know when Clone is coming back?

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man, World's End might be ending my tenure in reading Earth 2, it's just gone downhill hard with this event (despite introducing Ted Grant), and with Taylor departing, not sure the future is very bright. Guess time will tell.

Also, I previously stated Obsidian is now black, and with his previous appearance, I'm not sure if that's true. He didn't look to be in his shadow self in his first appearance, and looked distinctly black, but his recent appearance, just one frame, he was white. He's only been in 2 panels really in a neutral state, one he looked black, one he was white, so I guess he's probably white and they chose and odd pallet for his shadow form (or maybe it was a coloring error).

Dr. Detfink

RIP Spider-man 2099...hello Avengers 2099.

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I look forward to Secret Wars 2099.

Well, Spider-Woman #3 was a complete waste of money, it added nothing that wasn't available in Amazing Spider-Man, just a few unimportant scenes that lead to actually important panels in that comic. $4 down the drain.

Dr. Detfink

Wondering after Secret Wars, how many Spider-women get wiped clean?

Thread Information