Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: All New Random Help Thoughts Desk

vCash
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: All New Random Help Thoughts Desk

So I just found out Ron Glass passed away a couple of days ago, which sucks as I enjoyed him on Firefly as Shepherd.

Banner Credit: Surrender

Made Nerdery Moderator - April 21st, 2015
    Currently Watching: Blue Exorcist S2, Dragon Ball Super, Tiger Mask W
    The Nerdery's Best Poster (2013 Co-Winner, 2014 & 2015 Winner)

Moderately Moderating Michinokudriver's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had some time to kill for jury duty (great time to catch up on comics!) and managed to read Scott McCloud's The Sculptor, which is frickin' amazing.

Thanks to a deal with Death, David gets his childhood wish: to sculpt anything he can imagine with his bare hands. But now he only has 200 days to live, deciding what to create is harder than he thought Ė and discovering the love of his life at the eleventh hour isnít making it any easier.

I'm probably going to have to go back and re-read it, the first time around I was paying attention to the plotline but Scott McCloud is also the creator of Understanding Comics, where he talks about things like using different panel sizes, changing the space between panels or even omitting the borders to create moods and now I want to take another look and think about the architecture of the artwork.

Nominee: PW's Most Knowledgeable Poster, 2006
    Co-winner: PW's Most Knowledgeable Nerd, 2006

vCash
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In March, Marvel will have 91 comics published. 12 titles written by women. And 6 titles written by Jeff Lemire. (5 by Bendis, 4 each by Soule, Bunn and Aaron.) There are half as many titles written by one fucking guy as there are by all women combined at Marvel. That does strike me as pretty lame. In fact, out of 91 titles, 17 will have writers or co-writers who are female or POC. That's less than 1/5. Which feels pretty sad. And is made even sadder by the fact that it's the most diversity they've ever had among their writers. And it does get better when you look at artists.

vCash
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So unsurprisingly, it looks like all four DC shows have been renewed on the CW.

http://comicbook.com/2017/01/08/cw-r...s-of-tomorrow/

It'll be interesting to see what they do with Arrow, as theoretically there shouldn't be any more flashbacks moving forward, once season five wraps up.

Banner Credit: Surrender

Made Nerdery Moderator - April 21st, 2015
    Currently Watching: Blue Exorcist S2, Dragon Ball Super, Tiger Mask W
    The Nerdery's Best Poster (2013 Co-Winner, 2014 & 2015 Winner)

vCash
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wonder if Jessica Cruz can be written where she goes a full page without mentioning her anxiety.

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just made it through my stack, and holy fuck am I just enjoying the living hell out of DC again, finally have the pre-Flaspoint love back; really making me regret moving heavy to Marvel there for a bit, because now I'm a bit stuck on titles over there, stuff I now enjoy just enough that I can't bring myself to drop, but I just want more DC, double shipping is killing me. Either way, quick opinions on the stack:

All-Star Batman: I really love the range this series is giving Snyder, rather than the sprawling epic of his Batman run, we're getting tight villain-centric tales.

Aquaman: Best the title has been since Johns left, and I quite enjoyed Parker's. Honestly, I'm almost enjoying it more than Johns' run, hasn't quite hit the high that Johns did, but Abnett has made it a consistently enjoyable read.

Batgirl and the Birds of Prey: This is one of the titles that isn't exactly wowing, if I was really hard up, I could drop it no problem. But it is still a thoroughly enjoyable read, loving the chemistry.

Batman: King is finally starting to his his stride, it was dragged down early with the "Night of the Monster Men" crossover, and took some time to find it's footing, but the past few issues have really started to step-up. Not quite the near perfection of the Vision, but it's a great read.

Batman/TMNT Adventures: It's Batman TAS meets the current cartoon, what's not to love? Just off the wall fun. I will keep buying these silly crossovers as long as they keep making ones I'm interested in.

Batwoman: Solid opener, purely set up at this point. I do miss the dynamic paneling of Blackmon/Williams, but it still looked great. Decent start.

Deathstroke: Holy hell am I enjoying this one, this is the Deathstroke run I've been waiting for for years and years and years. Finally a title to really do him justice.

The Flash: Still needs better art, but the past few have been the best the series has been since the reboot for me. If only we could get these stories with Manapul's art, or, ya know...just reasonably decent art.

Green Arrow: Another one I'd say it's the best it's been since the reboot, Lemire's short run was great, but this feels more like Green Arrow.

Green Lanterns/Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps: Solid right now, but the franchise continues to be a pale imitation of what it was under Johns. They brought Sodam Yat back, then immediately forgot him, they had the great relationship with John and Fatality crumble into Sapphire rape, the emotional reservoir was a stupid idea...they're just not bringing it with the concepts. I do still enjoy them enough that they're in no danger of getting dropped, be nice if they can find better direction though. Fun at least.

Justice League: Still meh, but that was probably the least meh issue Hitch has done, looks great at least. Still like Hitch replaced if he doesn't pick it up soon.

JLA: Not much to say, pure set-up, looked great though.

Justice League/Power Rangers: Another one of those pure fun crossovers, I didn't know I needed it in my life until I had it, hopefully it keeps it up.

Nightwing: Seely has been killing it since Grayson, now Dick's back in Bludhaven, with a blue logo, it all just feels right.

Superman: Yet another one that's at it's best, honestly, this might be better than the Superman sometime before the reboot as well, just damn good Superman

Super Sons: As a fan of Damian, from Tomasi's work, and now liking what I'm seeing from the new Superboy (even if the ruination of Conor will always be disappointing), this series seems like an easy bet for me. Fun read, another one that's mostly set-up, but a decent bit happened. Love the interplay between Jon and Damian, can't wait to see where it goes. Hopefully Tomasi stays on both this and Superman for a good while.

Titans: Bridge issue, not quite filler, just putting the pieces for the next arc in place. Another title Abnett has been doing great on.

Trinity: Fun title, conclusion felt a bit anti-climactic, but still an enjoyable read.

The Wild Storm: The set-uppiest of the set up issues, this issue was dense, lotta text, plastered with walls of it, but it was written so damn well that it still flew right buy. I look forward to Ellis's 3 year plan.

Wonder Woman: Rucka's killing it, still disappointing he seems to be retconning out Azz's wholesale, hopefully that doesn't include his version of the gods, but it's a great read. Really giving you two Wonder Woman books in the bi-weekly format, one is current, the other is history, both deliver, both look great. Glad it's a title worth reading again.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Dynamite
    Sometimes a terrible idea is the best idea you got, and one thing I've learned, is always go with the best idea you got.

vCash
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After reading the latest issue of Star-Lord it seems Superior Spider-Man was the best thing to ever happen to Black Cat.

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For no reason, I sat down and looked at my current list of monthlies (not counting minis) and arranged them best to worst, this is what I came up with.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Universe
    Superman
    Deathstroke
    All-Star Batman
    Green Arrow
    Batman
    Titans
    Moon Knight
    Black Widow (ending next issue though)
    Doom Patrol
    Flash
    Aquaman
    Nightwing
    Wonder Woman
    Punisher
    Mighty Thor
    Invader Zim
    Teen Titans
    Green Lanterns
    Transformers: The Lost Light
    Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps
    Amazing Spider-Man
    Trinity
    Daredevil
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Batgirl and the Birds of Prey
    Batgirl
    Rocket Raccoon
    Star Lord
    Optimus Prime
    Justice League

Too soon to rate:
    Batwoman
    Justice League of America
    Super Sons

Sometimes a terrible idea is the best idea you got, and one thing I've learned, is always go with the best idea you got.

vCash
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You've been really pimping Deathstroke lately. I dunno what issue it's on, but I think I dropped it six or so issues back. With double shipping maybe longer. May have to look back at it, but up until that point I felt like I was reading it out of habit rather than enjoyment.

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Might just be different tastes, personally, I'm loving the hell out of it. Priest really gets the character. Plus we got Rose back, even if she's only been used a bit, but that's still a plus. I can't remember if I enjoyed it as much at the beginning as I do now, but I can't find much I don't like about it right now.

vCash
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love that Harrison Wells' actor plays a different version each season, but HR Wells is the Dasher Hatfield of the bunch. Each one was great, but now I don't want him replaced in season 4. But knowing my luck he'll be related to the season's big bad... even if they did that in season 1.

Thread Information