Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Movie Plans

Mr. Hustle

Default Re: DC Movie Plans

I haven't lost faith just yet. DC has one advantage over Marvel in the fact that DC/Warner Bros. own the licenses for all of its characters and don't have to work around or dig deep into the source material like Disney does. This can still work if everyone at DC/Warner Bros. actually exhibit some form of cohesion across the board like Disney/Marvel.

vCash
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nolan was not shooting down the idea of post-credit's scenes, he was shooting down the idea of humorous ones. I'm pretty sure I've read before that he doesn't mind them and though he doesn't use them, wouldn't be adverse to.

As for this DC Universe, I totally echo KJ. It's rushed. It does not feel organic. The beauty of Marvel was that it grew and got bigger than anyone could have imagined. A decade has led to this point alone and there are still years upon years and films upon films to go. I just don't see DC having as much success.

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hustle View Post
    Let me first say that I'm a huge fan of Nolan's work in general, not just the Dark Knight Trilogy. But if that is how he truly feels, then I'm glad he and his brother aren't involved in anyway with helping Warner Bros./DC build their cinematic universe.

What the hell does "real movie" mean anyway?

And am I wrong to be just a little insulted by that as someone who loves comic book movies?
    Nolan denied he said this... The Guardian has since added a footnote that his version of that conversation with Snyder was quite different.

He probably said it... though I don't think it was aimed at Marvel or anyone else who does that. Media twisting of something he probably did say.

Well... don'tcha?

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't lost faith just yet. DC has one advantage over Marvel in the fact that DC/Warner Bros. own the licenses for all of its characters and don't have to work around or dig deep into the source material like Disney does. This can still work if everyone at DC/Warner Bros. actually exhibit some form of cohesion across the board like Disney/Marvel.
    I guess you could argue it's an advantage. Then again it doesn't get much "deeper" in the digging than GotG... And it made more money than MoS...

Well... don'tcha?

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have said many times I don't think DC is ready for this. But I'm not sure they ever will be... they will always either be chasing Marvels tail, or going so far the other way it won't work. Which is why a slower organic approach to this, that others have mentioned would have been best. Though they would still have comparison obstacles to overcome.

Well... don'tcha?

Mr. Hustle

Quote Originally Posted by the spot View Post
    I guess you could argue it's an advantage. Then again it doesn't get much "deeper" in the digging than GotG... And it made more money than MoS...
    True. Then again this past summer was a lackluster year as far as blockbusters go and considering it came out at the tail end of summer pretty much unopposed it should have beaten MoS' numbers.
    Last edited by Mr. Hustle; 11-06-2014 at 07:17 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True. Then again this past summer was a lackluster year as far as blockbusters go and considering it came out at the tail end of summer pretty much unopposed it should have beaten MoS' numbers.
    Yeah but you are selling it short. a year ago people were saying it would be Marvels first flop. Instead it's the highest grossing movie of the year.

Well... don'tcha?

Ravishing Slick Dude KashDinero's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's borderline comical that DC/WB have publicly laid out the next five or so years worth of the movies, that will be comprising the DC Universe, after having only really released one title in MoS.

That said, since the dawn of time there has been Marvel and DC, so I definitely welcome what they are attempting to do, regardless of the SMH-style in which they have gone about things. I wasn't a massive fan of MoS, but it was pretty decent, if a little bit depressing in its overall tone, a tone which I'm hoping won't be the bearer of all things to come.

Definitely looking forward to see B-Fleck in action as the caped crusader, though; I have a feeling he'll do a grand job of it.
    PW Nerdery's Most Underrated Poster Of 2015

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not encouraged at all by the slate of films they have incoming based on that photo I put up. Suicide Squad? Why? Why does anyone want to watch a film about bad guys?(unless it's the Thunderbolts). You have an amazing catalogue to choose from Teen Titans, Flash, Lantern, Green Arrow, Lobo for fucks sake. At what point is it a good idea to put all your eggs in the basket of a villainous team with No build up at all bar a Lex Luther appearance in the SvB?

I don't want to come across as an ass but again... Cyborg? There are roughly 10-15 characters with more going for them then Cyborg. I would prefer to watch a Nightwing film long before Cyborg. What is the thought process there?

I also don't want to come across as sexist and I hope the above stuff quantifies it. I understand the importance of Wonder Woman in the mythos of DC. I don't understand why she is getting a Solo film? I want it to be a success so it forces Marvel to do a Black Widow movie but I am at a loss. I couldn't even name a Wonder Woman villain let alone come up with a decent plot for a movie for her. She is definitely the most important female in all of Comics but I don't see the need to give her her own film. If anything it should have been Superman v Wonder Woman or something like that.

Whatever. Who's idea was it to not do a Green Lantern film until 2020? I know you want to separate yourself from the Ryan Reynolds one but it wasn't that bad. Just embrace it and replace Hal Jordan or you know. DO A FUCKING DECENT VERSION OF IT!

My big fear with WB is that this Supes v Batman movie will fail and they are going to retreat and not do all of these planned films.

Fucken onwards and upwards~!

2008 Sports Empire HALL OF FAME

vCash
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toy Story 4 has been announced for June 16th, 2017. One week before DC releases either Wonder Woman or Justice League on June 23, 2017. Then on July 7, 2017, Disney releases Pirates of the Caribbean 5.

So even if Warner Bros. releases their DC films at a safe distance from Marvel, they still have to worry about Disney films getting parked close to them and potentially undercutting their box office.

Want to see an Atheist-centric YouTube show? Subscribe to Atheist News!

My latest video- Fake Religious Humility (music video with "I'm So Humble" by The Lonely Island)

Mr. Hustle

Yeah but you are selling it short. a year ago people were saying it would be Marvels first flop. Instead it's the highest grossing movie of the year.
    I don't think I'm selling it short at all. For clarification I wasn't trying to take anything from GoTG and it's success. I never really understood the assumption people had that it wouldn't do well just because the characters weren't as well known as The Avengers. It was still attached to Marvel's cinematic universe and was marketed smartly by the mega money machine of Disney. Putting it out at the end of summer with virtually no competition was the final stroke of genius though. I mean that was really smart.

Mr. Hustle

Quote Originally Posted by shane_man View Post
    I'm not encouraged at all by the slate of films they have incoming based on that photo I put up. Suicide Squad? Why? Why does anyone want to watch a film about bad guys?(unless it's the Thunderbolts). You have an amazing catalogue to choose from Teen Titans, Flash, Lantern, Green Arrow, Lobo for fucks sake. At what point is it a good idea to put all your eggs in the basket of a villainous team with No build up at all bar a Lex Luther appearance in the SvB?

I don't want to come across as an ass but again... Cyborg? There are roughly 10-15 characters with more going for them then Cyborg. I would prefer to watch a Nightwing film long before Cyborg. What is the thought process there?

I also don't want to come across as sexist and I hope the above stuff quantifies it. I understand the importance of Wonder Woman in the mythos of DC. I don't understand why she is getting a Solo film? I want it to be a success so it forces Marvel to do a Black Widow movie but I am at a loss. I couldn't even name a Wonder Woman villain let alone come up with a decent plot for a movie for her. She is definitely the most important female in all of Comics but I don't see the need to give her her own film. If anything it should have been Superman v Wonder Woman or something like that.

Whatever. Who's idea was it to not do a Green Lantern film until 2020? I know you want to separate yourself from the Ryan Reynolds one but it wasn't that bad. Just embrace it and replace Hal Jordan or you know. DO A FUCKING DECENT VERSION OF IT!

My big fear with WB is that this Supes v Batman movie will fail and they are going to retreat and not do all of these planned films.
    Cyborg is important because he's a minority superhero. DC is smart to try and beat Marvel to the punch or at least before they can get Black Panther out. Same with Wonder Woman. Not only can is she the most important female superhero of all time, but whichever studio has the most success with a female lead will have a huge feather in their cap. Because then it won't just be us nerds dragging our wives to these movies, women will seek them out and go voluntarily.

A Suicide Squad movie is freaking genius. It's pretty much an Expendables movie with cooler characters, a bigger budget, and relevant actors from the way it's being pitched. Yeah a lot of them are for the most part d-bags, but some of them are d-bags with principles and a sense of ethics. They could market it the same way they did for the animated film, "Get Ready to Root For The Bad Guys!" I'm ready to give them my money now just thinking about it.
    Last edited by Mr. Hustle; 11-07-2014 at 01:31 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think I'm selling it short at all. For clarification I wasn't trying to take anything from GoTG and it's success. I never really understood the assumption people had that it wouldn't do well just because the characters weren't as well known as The Avengers. It was still attached to Marvel's cinematic universe and was marketed smartly by the mega money machine of Disney. Putting it out at the end of summer with virtually no competition was the final stroke of genius though. I mean that was really smart.
    Except there was competition. Tmnt, for one. And it stayed in the theaters for weeks... It had no less completion than MOS. The rest of the films on marquis is not what made Guardians a success.

vCash
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had it down as Marvel's stupidest idea when it was announced. Until the trailer I did not think Gunn could produce a movie from these guys that would work. I figured it would just be a lame ass way to introduce gems and start introducing Thanos.

It was not just fans that undershot the film. Experts under-grossed estimated it's performance greatly as well.

Now I would put easy money on Guardians of the Galaxy 2 making more than Batman v Superman. Groot and Rocket now are better money makers than Superman and Batman are. Which is really, really sad. In all honesty I would fire the execs in charge of the movies and get the Smallville team doing them instead. So far they successfully launched Arrow from Smallville then Flash from Arrow. At least this team has proven it is effective.

Flowers gathered in the morning,
    Afternoon they blossom on,
    Still are withered by the evening:
    You can be me when I'm gone.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I think Batman is still a bit higher of a draw (see TDK and DKR), but your point is valid, C. GOTG is certainly a bigger draw than Superman at this point (which is heartbreaking).

If DC can get BvS right, all bets are off on what happens next.

[π: WWPID?] ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

vCash
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no hopes for B v S. Sounds like no one is on the same page at all for the film and it will end up a total clusterfuck. I dug Man of Steel and had hopes for a good Superman run of films, but now I will be happy if this film is not total crap. And honestly I hope it does bomb so DC can see their shit is not working and they need new talent on their live action films. Their animation is great, their TV is great, their games are solid but whoever the fuck is at the helm for their films is an idiot. Sure they did three great films with Batman, but three companies did Spider-Man, X-Men and Avengers at the same time. I really think DC should have relaunched Superman into Justice League off Smallville. Feels like now they missed their chance.

Flowers gathered in the morning,
    Afternoon they blossom on,
    Still are withered by the evening:
    You can be me when I'm gone.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smallville was terrible. Out of all the things DC has done wrong, removing any connection to Smallville was not one of them.

[π: WWPID?] ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smallville wasn't terrible, the first 3 seasons were damn good, and after that it had some great comic TV. Pretty much anytime they brought in another hero, Aquaman, Flash, Cyborg, great episodes. Season 4 was the only fully terrible season of the show. It had some bad filler, but a lot of the main stuff was solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Dynamite
    Sometimes a terrible idea is the best idea you got, and one thing I've learned, is always go with the best idea you got.

vCash
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smallville for the most part was great TV (in my opinion) and only got better after Green Arrow joined the show... plus it gave me a live action Stargirl (which FYI is awesome as fuck).

Rags is right the only season of Smallville that sucked was the fourth season even though it introduced Lois Lane and gave us Impulse.

Banner Credit: Surrender
    Made Nerdery Moderator - April 21st, 2015

Anime Currently Watching
    Attack on Titan S2, Dragon Ball Super
    MSG: Thunderbolt S2, Tiger Mask W

vCash
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

da fuq?

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Suici...ker-68118.html

Fans have spent years wondering whether or not we would ever see another big screen version of Batman's arch-nemesis, The Joker, back on the big screen. Heath Ledger's portrayal of the character in Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight not only earned the actor a posthumous Academy Award, but also became the definitive adaptation of the villain. That being said, the birth of the DC Cinematic Universe made Joker's feature film return rather inevitable, and now reports are saying that Warner Bros. and DC Comics may have found their man.

According to The Wrap, Jared Leto is now being eyed for a role in David Ayer's upcoming Suicide Squad, and it's believed that the character he would play should he sign on would be The Joker. While the legendary villain was not featured in the original draft of the project, the director is reportedly rewriting the script and will include Joker as a player. Insiders say that the studio was originally looking at Ryan Gosling for the part, but the Drive star apparently balked at the idea of locking himself into a multi-picture contract.

We first learned about the Suicide Squad film this past September, the film centering on a team of villains who are given excessively dangerous black ops missions by the government in exchange for reduced sentences.While the revelation that The Joker might be coming back to the big screen is certainly the big news here, Jared Leto is now one of a few really big names being looked at/in talks for Suicide Squad. In addition to talk that says the film could be the second big screen appearance of Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor (who will be debuting in Zack Snyder's Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice), there have also been reports saying that Warner Bros. is looking at Tom Hardy, Will Smith and Margot Robbie for key roles. It's unknown what parts they are being looked at for, but fans have been keen on pitching Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn, The Joker's demented significant other. With a release date in August 2016, production is expected to start up next year, meaning that the next few months should be full of all kinds of new casting reports and rumors like this new one.
    Stupid and awful if true.

My latest video- Fake Religious Humility (music video with "I'm So Humble" by The Lonely Island)

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Voxtz View Post
    da fuq? :

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Suici...ker-68118.html

Stupid and awful if true.

Agreed, not because of the casting mind you... Joker is really, really, really out of place in a suicide squad film. I mean not to say he couldn't cameo in relation to Harley... But as a major player he takes over the film.

The whole idea of suicide squad being done this early in their shared universe is also pretty stupid. And goes back to that whole organic thing we were talking abou the other day.

vCash
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ugh, I like the Joker character, I do but is it asking to much to get a live action Harley Quinn without The Joker being involved.

Banner Credit: Surrender
    Made Nerdery Moderator - April 21st, 2015

Anime Currently Watching
    Attack on Titan S2, Dragon Ball Super
    MSG: Thunderbolt S2, Tiger Mask W

vCash
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get that DC is trying to swoop in and grab Jared Leto, who might be feeling burned about not landing Dr. Strange. And he's a great actor who might put an interesting new spin on The Joker.

But Suicide Squad? There's no way that makes sense. Not to mention a last minute rewrite where he is shoehorned into the script by the director?

Yikes DC.

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lony View Post
    Ugh, I like the Joker character, I do but is it asking to much to get a live action Harley Quinn without The Joker being involved.
    Well he should be involved with her in some way. She has no origin without him.

The travesty is the film itself. Suicide sqaud is the Dirty Dozen except not in wartime and with superpowers. The team consists of b-list villians who are forced and or coerced into doing the right thing. Great premise... Only wouldn't it have more weight if these villians were introduced before this film? That is wouldn't it be much cooler if the debuted separately in other films being bad guys first? No the dirty dozen didn't need to do that it introduced to its bad guys gone good in the same film. But this is diferent show me how dangerous these guys are against the good guys before you make them into forced heroes.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hustle
    Cyborg is important because he's a minority superhero. DC is smart to try and beat Marvel to the punch or at least before they can get Black Panther out. Same with Wonder Woman. Not only can is she the most important female superhero of all time, but whichever studio has the most success with a female lead will have a huge feather in their cap. Because then it won't just be us nerds dragging our wives to these movies, women will seek them out and go voluntarily.

A Suicide Squad movie is freaking genius. It's pretty much an Expendables movie with cooler characters, a bigger budget, and relevant actors from the way it's being pitched. Yeah a lot of them are for the most part d-bags, but some of them are d-bags with principles and a sense of ethics. They could market it the same way they did for the animated film, "Get Ready to Root For The Bad Guys!" I'm ready to give them my money now just thinking about it.
    All well and good to do a film on a minority figure but you have shown absolutely ZERO ability to do a decent film... at all. Now if you do this Cyborg film and fuck it up(and the odds are in the favour of that happening) then you basically put a stank on minority figures in superhero movies(despite the fact that everyone is glossing over the fact that before Spiderman... THEY ONLY DID MINORITY FIGURES IN SUPERHERO MOVIES(Blade and Spawn). The same applies to Wonder Woman. Don't do it for the sake of doing it. Do you know how much interest I would have had in a Black Widow movie before Marvel had done what they had with the character on film??? Not at all. Now however. I couldn't think of a more interesting movie then Black Widow/Bucky/Hawkeye and some older cameo parts putting together a great movie under the Black Widow moniker.

Wonder Woman is a much more important character then Black Widow in the grand scheme of things. But I have no interest in watching her on film by herself at this point. It may change after the SvB movie comes out but I doubt it.

Regarding the Suicide Squad. What Spot said. And your point is perfectly the reason why it will fail. The ONLY reason we like the Expendables is it's EVERYONE we grew up with in the 80's and 90's in one film. If it was 10 random guys plucked from a casting couch today with the same script. It would make even less then those movies already do. And that's basically what a Suicide Squad movie(and the Sinister Six and a Venom/Carnage movie) will be. Comics fans know them. Everyone else will shrug and you need next level advertising(what Marvel did with Guardians of the Galaxy) to get it over the line. Now have Warner Bros and Sony/Fox been able to show that they can do that yet?

Fucken onwards and upwards~!

2008 Sports Empire HALL OF FAME

Thread Information