Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Benoit runined any chance for son David in WWE?

Queen B

Default Chris Benoit runined any chance for son David in WWE?

I write a wrestling column every Monday and Friday for the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. It can be found online at TribLIVE.com.

The latest column talks about how Chris Benoit's son, David, is making his wrestling debut this summer and how he can't ever expect to make it to WWE. The following is an excerpt:

When I say the name Chris Benoit, everyone immediately has a feeling and thought about him.

His son David Benoit is getting into wrestling and will be making his debut this summer. Do you immediately have a feeling and thought about that?

The name Benoit is forever tarnished in wrestling after the horrific events in June 2007 when Chris Benoit killed his seven-year-old son Daniel, his wife Nancy and then killed himself.

He was a great wrestler. He had millions of fans. Most of the wrestlers seemed to like him and have great memories with him. It's great for those attributes to try and be remembered, but it doesn't erase the actions of his final hours.

I feel sorry for his son David getting into wrestling. There is no way he can expect a fair shake. He carries the same last name as his father. He looks just like his father. He's getting into the business that is still being linked/blamed for his father's mental health, actions and death.

David is making his debut in Calgary at an independent wrestling show, tagging with Chavo Guerrero. The location makes sense given the family history and wrestling history with Calgary. The tag match make sense because he's new, so the match will allow him to be disguised and coached. The partner makes sense, as Guerrero was very close with his family up to the day of Chris Benoit's death.

That's all great for David, and I wish him the best in his debut.

However, wrestling isn't something you get into as a side hobby. The wrestling bug is in his blood. You should always follow your passion, but it seems like a tall task to think David Benoit can get to the level of making his living off wrestling without the big paydays of a top name company. Most notably, WWE
    My question is, do you think with what Chris did burned any chance for his son David with the WWE? I truly don't think so. Yes, Vince banned any mention or video of Chris Benoit, but I don't think he will hold the crimes of the father on the son.
    "PUPPIES"<Jerry Lawler

And lead us not into temptation,But deliver us from evil

God grant me the serenity To accept the things I cannot change; Courage to change the things I can; And wisdom to know the difference.

RIP The Shield 2012 - 2014

Default Re: Chris Benoit runined any chance for son David in WWE?

How many wrestlers have they brought in who were multi-generational and made no mention of their heritage on television? Look at the current roster. You have Bray Wyatt and Roman Reigns in prominent roles, Bo Dallas about to be brought up ...

Of course WWE can bring in David and make no mention of his father. And to anyone who would judge WWE for that, ask yourselves this: Why should his son pay for his crimes? Why should a man be denied the chance to achieve his dream just because his father committed an unspeakably horrible act?

If David is good enough to make it to the WWE level, I have no problem with them hiring him.

The Silver-Tongued Devil versus The Ginger King
    PW WrestleMania XI

Queen B

Quote Originally Posted by DC View Post
    How many wrestlers have they brought in who were multi-generational and made no mention of their heritage on television?

Of course WWE can bring in David and make no mention of his father. And to anyone who would judge WWE for that, ask yourselves this: Why should his son pay for his crimes? Why should a man be denied the chance to achieve his dream just because his father committed an unspeakably horrible act?

If David is good enough to make it to the WWE level, I have no problem with them hiring him.
    I feel the same way, it was not David who did it. If you are good enough for the WWE than Vince will not judge you on who you were related to or trained by. Look at Nattie Hart, if Vince judged by family members she sure as hell wouldn't be in the WWE atm.
    "PUPPIES"<Jerry Lawler

God grant me the serenity To accept the things I cannot change; Courage to change the things I can; And wisdom to know the difference.

Nothing better to see? MexicanMike's Avatar

If he gets hired the only issue he might find is from some of the boys in the back who think that David 'inherited' Chris' condition and look at him like he's a ticking timebomb waiting to go off. That will probably be the small minority and, like DC said, they most certainly won't make any mention of him being a second-generation star.

I highly doubt any of the boys in the back would think that, considering that Chris's "condition" was due to years of physical trauma to his head. I think the boys have a much better understanding of all that than we do, especially given WWE's ties with Chris Nowinski and the Sports Legacy Institute and their ongoing research. Heck, I'm sure they're more worried about the other veterans who're "ticking time bombs" than they are of David somehow having inherited a condition that is basically having your brain turned to swiss cheese by concussions.

I also hope that David is smart and doesn't try to wrestle his father's style, though. I will say that.

The Silver-Tongued Devil versus The Ginger King
    PW WrestleMania XI

Queen B

I highly doubt any of the boys in the back would think that, considering that Chris's "condition" was due to years of physical trauma to his head. I think the boys have a much better understanding of all that than we do, especially given WWE's ties with Chris Nowinski and the Sports Legacy Institute and their ongoing research. Heck, I'm sure they're more worried about the other veterans who're "ticking time bombs" than they are of David somehow having inherited a condition that is basically having your brain turned to swiss cheese by concussions.

I also hope that David is smart and doesn't try to wrestle his father's style, though. I will say that.
    See I can see that being a reason for Vince not to hire David. Not so much the crossface or sharpshooter, but the flying head butt and chair shots to the head. That goes for any wrestler though. Vince will not want another Chris Benoit situation on his hands...
    "PUPPIES"<Jerry Lawler

Now residing in the 256 BestInThe205's Avatar

I'd like to think they would give him a chance if he ever gets to that level. Still not entirely certain though, because he is a spitting image of his father.
    (Mucho credit to Bender)

I don't see him useing the name Benoit in WWE but someday makeing there I will said that it is sad to blame Dave for anything Chris did

For one thing from what I understand he was riase by his Mother and not Chris

Another thing don't you think he has been hurt enought by the fact that he lost his little Brother, Step-Mother and his Father at the hands of his Father

Something just pop in to my head that I have thought about many of times that kind of goes with this Question and that is why is Nancy not in the Hall Of Fame as Women I mean she had a great careere as a Manger even before she hook up with Chris Like do they blame her for what Chris did

How many wrestlers have they brought in who were multi-generational and made no mention of their heritage on television? Look at the current roster. You have Bray Wyatt and Roman Reigns in prominent roles, Bo Dallas about to be brought up ...

Because it was a very mainstream public black eye to the business during the era of 24 news cycles and sensationalists that gave their misinformed opinions to the ignorant that will take speculation at face at face value during the age of internet detectives that like to speculate about everything even when little is known.

You can't say this kid won't be associated with his father by fans. A kid could Google his WWE name and search engines would link him back to Chris Benoit and we all know how computer savvy this generation of WWE fans is. Never mind those of us that would recognize his face, those features are pretty distinct. I am sorry, but the kid is a link to a very bad and public moment in time for WWE fans... I do think that will be a speed bump he will not be able to overcome.

Its not comparable to other people's situations either, you can't compare him to a Brodus Clay because the crimes of his father were not on a national (worldwide?) scandal level.

Credit to BezerroBizarro from DeviantArt and Lony for Resisizing!
    http://bezerrobizarro.deviantart.com...oshi-163705876
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    0 days since a Cena fight. C'mon guys we need to at least get it up to two.
    http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=123457 THE KID VS DOSE MATCH IS ON!!!!

I agree with this and I have to think he'd know not to do that. The reaction alone if he climbed up to the top and came off with a headbutt would be extremely negative. David and WWE would know exactly what to avoid if he did get hired.

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz
    I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am then love me for something i'm not
    Episode 1 of "Sittin down for a chat with Oncall" with special guest Emperor

Queen B

Quote Originally Posted by Oncall View Post
    I agree with this and I have to think he'd know not to do that. The reaction alone if he climbed up to the top and came off with a headbutt would be extremely negative. David and WWE would know exactly what to avoid if he did get hired.
    They have been avoiding that since Chris went psycho...It use to be up to the wrestlers if they would take shots to the head.. Now they have no choice whats so ever...

Because it was a very mainstream public black eye to the business during the era of 24 news cycles and sensationalists that gave their misinformed opinions to the ignorant that will take speculation at face at face value during the age of internet detectives that like to speculate about everything even when little is known.

You can't say this kid won't be associated with his father by fans. A kid could Google his WWE name and search engines would link him back to Chris Benoit and we all know how computer savvy this generation of WWE fans is. Never mind those of us that would recognize his face, those features are pretty distinct. I am sorry, but the kid is a link to a very bad and public moment in time for WWE fans... I do think that will be a speed bump he will not be able to overcome.

Its not comparable to other people's situations either, you can't compare him to a Brodus Clay because the crimes of his father were not on a national (worldwide?) scandal level.
    What did Clay's father do...

Who said he has to go by David Benoit...also how many people really google real name of wrestlers?

I mean really how many know that Dean Ambrose's real name is Jonathan Good or that Seth Rollins' is really Colby Lopez.

We will leave out Roman due to the fact that he is pretty well known due to his family connections..
    Last edited by CrazyCountryGir; 05-04-2014 at 11:48 AM.
    "PUPPIES"<Jerry Lawler

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCountryGir View Post
    They have been avoiding that since Chris went psycho...It use to be up to the wrestlers if they would take shots to the head.. Now they have no choice whats so ever...

What did Clay's father do...

Who said he has to go by David Benoit...also how many people really google real name of wrestlers?

I mean really how many know that Dean Ambrose's real name is Jonathan Good or that Seth Rollins' is really Colby Lopez.

We will leave out Roman due to the fact that he is pretty well known due to his family connections..

I'm not sure people would have to Google his wrestling name in order to find out he's Chris Benoits son. News outlets will likely be heavily reporting on it.

I'd have no issue with him getting hired if he's talented enough. Like others have said, the crimes of the father shouldn't be passed onto the son. I'm just not sure that's a mentality that will be shared by the masses.

Unfortunately the name Benoit is always going to have negative connotations and he will be stigmatised because of it. It doesn't help that he looks very similar to his father.

Thanks Heteroflexible

I would really have no problem with him getting a job in the WWE but don't believe it could ever be actually mentioned who's son he is. The other problem with that is the fans and how smart they are nowadays , there would definitely be a tangent who would consider it "cool" to chant Chris Benoit or something along the lines during his matches and that would be a death nail for him.

Personally if I were going to do it , I'd give him a "blur" gimmick and just let him wrestle under a hood and be completely pixelated on television.
    -Bender-

2013 Sports Empire Most Valuable Poster
    2012 & 2013 Gridiron Poster of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I would really have no problem with him getting a job in the WWE but don't believe it could ever be actually mentioned who's son he is. The other problem with that is the fans and how smart they are nowadays , there would definitely be a tangent who would consider it "cool" to chant Chris Benoit or something along the lines during his matches and that would be a death nail for him.

Personally if I were going to do it , I'd give him a "blur" gimmick and just let him wrestle under a hood and be completely pixelated on television.
    At this point I would have him be David Jericho.

http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=123457 THE KID VS DOSE MATCH IS ON!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dose View Post

You know that Brodus Clay's father is NOT Dick Murdoch, right?

CHECK OUT BRAD'S RWF IN FAN FICTION! (Credit to Spreutels for the banner)

Saskatchewan Roughriders (8-2)

Last Game: Defeated Winnipeg Bluebombers [30-24]
    Next Game: VS Hamilton Tigercats (Sunday, September 14)

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    You know that Brodus Clay's father is NOT Dick Murdoch, right?
    I was going off of the rumor. But to be fair, what someone knows to be true may not be, its all relative to context and perspective.

(You guys can blame anime and Naruto for that cop out )

He's never going to be a major success. He may do okay in the Indies with shitty promoters trying to make a buck off his father's crimes, but the WWE will never, ever hire him.

The Ultimate Fic'er Competitor: Proud Member of Team RT
    • Round 1 Result: Survived, Team RT MVP (Rebooking WrestleMania XXX)

[π: WWPID?] ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

It's a moot point since he doesn't remotely look like a WWE caliber wrestler anyway, but there's no upside in hiring him from the WWE's standpoint. Could you ever make him champion? Can you send him on media rounds, to do radio interviews, talk shows, etc.? Unfortunately, he's always going to be the son of a famous murderer, and there's always going to be that annoying radio host who hounds him about it the second he gets the chance. The WWE wouldn't want anything to do with that.

Queen B

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Grey View Post
    It's a moot point since he doesn't remotely look like a WWE caliber wrestler anyway, but there's no upside in hiring him from the WWE's standpoint. Could you ever make him champion? Can you send him on media rounds, to do radio interviews, talk shows, etc.? Unfortunately, he's always going to be the son of a famous murderer, and there's always going to be that annoying radio host who hounds him about it the second he gets the chance. The WWE wouldn't want anything to do with that.
    Just a question, how do you know if he is WWE caliber wrestler when two things, 1) He is still being trained and 2) he has yet to make a wrestling debut... You are right though about the person who will keep bring it up, but even without him in the WWE Chris Benoit is still brought up to others...
    "PUPPIES"<Jerry Lawler

Jim Ross spoke about this in one of his blogs recently, and I agree with what he said, which was basically "I wish him the best of luck in his wrestling career, but I think he should have chosen a different career path. (sic)"
    Wildfire Tommy Rich for WWE HOF 2014

if he's to become a success he needs to take a hard look at someone like bray wyatt. a guy who couldnt possibly be ANY MORE different than his father in damn near every way.

but the fact he already looks the spitting image of his dad and from recent photos ive seen he keeps his hair short like his dad and was doing his dads "throat cut" taunt..... it doesnt bode well.

the kid needs to COMPLETELY reinvent himself and develop his own ring style. just to have a fighting chance at making it.
    "Everyone back to my trailer for pot pies and mountain dew" - Kevin Nash

He favors his father too much, IMO, for the WWE to even consider the thought.

Queen B

NVM I see it now...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CrazyCountryGir; 05-04-2014 at 06:13 PM.
    "PUPPIES"<Jerry Lawler

If he was to become good enough to warrant a call from WWE, I'm sure they'd have a plan in place for bringing him in. Perhaps a mask. The masked wrestler isn't as common as it used to be.

I don't see why he couldn't make it. He definitely would not use the Benoit name, and if he's good enough, why not? Chair shots to the head have been outlawed, and we have only recently seen the return of the flying headbutt because of Daniel Bryan. A son shouldn't pay for his fathers mistakes.

Thread Information