Thread: Walking on Eggshells

Default Walking on Eggshells

I couldn't help but think of that.

Anyhow, something that I've been thinking about lately is the proverbial "chicken and the egg" scenario. Is it the chicken? Is it the egg?

I've mostly heard this on Austin's podcast, but I know I've heard JR mention it on the Legends of Wrestling round-table discussions. It seems Austin, JR and other old-school guys are of the mindset that, if you want to be something in THIS BUSINESS, then it's on you. You have to be like Austin and say, "I ain't doing that. Here, let's try my way."

But then I'll hear those same guys, mostly Austin, say the young guys backstage don't do that because they're "walking on eggshells." In other words, WWE is so tightly scripted and controlled by the higher ups, that guys are just wanting to go along for the ride and do what they're told. Or as JR would say, they merely enjoy collecting a paycheck to be on television from time to time or in JTG's case, do nothing.

So, what is it? Is it that WWE's created an environment that's unwelcoming toward individuality, creativity and such? Or is it that guys need to grow ballsier in pushing their own visions? Saying, "Hey, we tried your stupid idea, now let's try mine. If it sinks, it sinks."

Isn't that what reportedly happened with Titus and his push to go heel against Young? Is that his fault that it fell flat or did WWE not give him enough tools to succeed?

Or is it a combination of both factors? WWE needs to have a welcoming environment toward cultivating individuality and superstars need to step it up?

We all know what happened with Ryder. Every time I hear Austin or JR or whoever say, "Guys just need to look at what Austin did," I think about Ryder's circumstances. And it baffles me. Anyhow...

Default Re: Walking on Eggshells

I feel like it's hard to really say either way without being backstage and seeing how much effort the superstars put forward..

If the guys are just content with doing their job, going exactly by the script and not caring about showing any personality in and out of the ring than yes I would say it is their own fault..

BUt it's really hard to say without knowing exactly how much free will they have to establish their own characters.. All I know is if I was in WWE I would be constantly trying to brainstorm up some creative ideas for promos or new moves in the ring to get myself over with the fans and become established...

This is a great topic. The biggest reason why these wrestlers today act like they are walking on egg shells is because they are afraid about losing their jobs or their standing in the company. Before guys could be more confident in speaking up to management because there was always a place to go. Now, there's only one place to go to make it big. I wish more talent would take control over their characters.

Nothing better to see? MexicanMike's Avatar

Isn't it all null and void if you aren't given any TV time to show your character development? I feel like Big E could up with awesome ideas for his character and awesome ways to establish a 'gimmick' of sorts but when your TV time is relegated to standing backstage and looking at a monitor, does it it really matter?

I'm in the way of thought that you get what you earn. Why sit back and willingly fail because you know what Creative has for you isn't working or won't work? Go out and do what feels right for yourself, at least if you fail that way, you went out trying and on your terms. If you succeed, then you earned it.

When Austin had Heyman on the podcast they hit on this topic. Austin brought up when he came in to WWF they said he was going to wear a singlet and he immediately said no. Then they said you're going to wear green trunks and he said ok wore them twice then said I am done with the green. I'll be wearing black trunks instead. Heyman said guys today won't even say no to the singlet like Austin did because they are too scared to say no to anything. That attitude is driven by there is nowhere else to work like there was back in the 90s.

Austin and Heyman both agreed Vince looks for the guys who say no off the bat and purposefully gives people shitty things to see how they react because he wants someone who will speak up for his character. Who knows how true that is because on the one hand you got Punk who Vince catered to for speaking up and then you have Ryder and we all know what happened there

I am not threatened by any man whose name is three letters.

- Damien Sandow
    in response to RVD's return

Quote Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
    So, what is it? Is it that WWE's created an environment that's unwelcoming toward individuality, creativity and such? Or is it that guys need to grow ballsier in pushing their own visions? Saying, "Hey, we tried your stupid idea, now let's try mine. If it sinks, it sinks."
    Zack Ryder anybody? I know many people didn't think highly of him, but he got OVER and the-powers-that-be virtually snuffed it out. But you mention him lower in your post. It does seem like there is a lot of this. With the PC era and careful marketing, WWE can ill afford to have someone veer off script and say something inappropriate that will land them in trouble. I wouldn't be surprised if many guys WERE scared to go out there and do something for this very reason, and the retaliation they would face.

Isn't that what reportedly happened with Titus and his push to go heel against Young? Is that his fault that it fell flat or did WWE not give him enough tools to succeed?
    Titus O'Neil is an annoying and bumbling stuttering fool. That's why he couldn't get over.

It is IMO With WWE Vince has Final said over everything I have even heard guys said that was the big diffence between WWE and other like WCW back in the day and even TNA today that there is so many guys running the show and with WWE there is just Vince Now I'am not saying that some bigger stars don't put some Ideas out there but at the end of the day it still Vince who has Final say weather its good for Business or not

Quote Originally Posted by MexicanMike View Post
    Isn't it all null and void if you aren't given any TV time to show your character development? I feel like Big E could up with awesome ideas for his character and awesome ways to establish a 'gimmick' of sorts but when your TV time is relegated to standing backstage and looking at a monitor, does it it really matter?
    For all the extra TV time that is available nowdays, they really do spend very little of it establishing a character for a lot of guys on the roster.

Thread Information