Thread: Paige's Diva title win, things may not be as they appear...

Default Paige's Diva title win, things may not be as they appear...

As we all know Paige won the Diva's title in a huge surprise win on RAW last week. A lot of people were unhappy with the way Paige looked during that segment. She came across as scared and weak. Something that doesn’t fit her NXT character at all. But I think that segment may not be as it appears at first glance...

I think Paige was simply acting like a scared little girl to lure AJ into a false sense of overconfidence, so she would think Paige was an easy win and she put up her title.

My reason for thinking this is that the scared little girl routine doesn’t fit with Paige at all. And the video package we saw of her on SD last Friday confirmed her badass persona in NXT, not the way she looked on RAW. She even said in that video package that she isn't like other divas.

And during the recaps on SD, I thought I saw a brief shot of Paige smiling when AJ said she put up her title. But maybe that's just wishful thinking.

What do you guys think?

Credit to Hayze, myself and Magnus for the banner...

Queen B

Default Re: Paige's Diva title win, things may not be as they appear...

I got the feeling when they had Paige win, that they are going to try something new. IMO the Divas have become stale.

I wouldn't read too deeply into it.

I mean, I think you're right that they'll go the "Paige lured AJ into a false sense of security" route, especially with the video package on SmackDown. But I wouldn't overthink the situation or get too worried about it. After all, it's not like they're going to give her the time she needs to show off what she can really do anyway.

(Also, WWE hasn't done a good job with establishing/developing Diva characters lately on the main shows. Look at Emma!)

The Silver-Tongued Devil versus The Ginger King
    PW WrestleMania XI

On NXT, Emma did a stupid dance and got over. On Raw, Emma is doing a stupid dance in an attempt to get over.

If it fails, it's because it's a cult thing and cult things tend to get over better among small crowds than large audiences. I know it may seem annoying her being put with Santino, but you can't blame them for putting a heater on her because when she does that dance, there's no sort of pop for it or anything. There's nothing but one or two in the crowd doing the dance that I assume watch NXT.

She's a good wrestler though, so hopefully in time that comes across. But it's early days.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    On NXT, Emma did a stupid dance and got over. On Raw, Emma is doing a stupid dance in an attempt to get over.

If it fails, it's because it's a cult thing and cult things tend to get over better among small crowds than large audiences. I know it may seem annoying her being put with Santino, but you can't blame them for putting a heater on her because when she does that dance, there's no sort of pop for it or anything. There's nothing but one or two in the crowd doing the dance that I assume watch NXT.

She's a good wrestler though, so hopefully in time that comes across. But it's early days.
    That Emma dance is the stupidest thing I've ever seen she comes across as "special" if you know what I mean....

As far as Paige goes I see her being the plucky mass underdog that keeps pulling it out as a babyface when she really should not be winning then have her go face v face v Natalya at SummerSlam and give Nattie her crowning moment before turning Paige on her.

Quote Originally Posted by Peepshow View Post
    That Emma dance is the stupidest thing I've ever seen she comes across as "special" if you know what I mean....

As far as Paige goes I see her being the plucky mass underdog that keeps pulling it out as a babyface when she really should not be winning then have her go face v face v Natalya at SummerSlam and give Nattie her crowning moment before turning Paige on her.

True. I agree with you on both statements sir. Lol couldnt have said it better!

Todd, are you just following me around to poke holes in everything I post, or am I just paranoid?

Emma's character is that she's extremely awkward and goofy and does a stupid dance. But rather than introducing her as a character first and getting across that she was extremely awkward and goofy, they just played it straight for the first few weeks. Worse than that, you had Michael Cole and JBL acting like everyone should already know her, with Cole playing her straight ("She's a great dancer!") and JBL shitting on her. Now, with the Santino relationship, they're finally doing what they should have done with her from the start. But they didn't start off that way. It's no different than what Fudge is pointing out with Paige: they introduce her first, and then introduced the character without any real connection to her first appearance. So rather than giving the WWE Universe a chance to get to know a little about her in advance, they're left scratching their heads and wondering, "Who the hell is this chick and why should we care?"

It's the opposite of how characters should be introduced, especially when you're introducing a lot of new characters in short order. Otherwise, they just become random faces in the crowd and the audience fails to build that immediate emotional attachment. Which is exactly why Emma needs a heater.

However, the fact that they immediately turned around and did a vignette to build Paige's character on SmackDown gives me hope they'll actually follow through on her and help build her up as a character in short order so people will have a reason to care about her as Diva's Champion.

PW WrestleMania XI

It does appear that way today. But no sir, you and I know both know we clash opinions on many subjects and that's what it's all about - discussion and debate.

Just a quick note on Paige, that segment was such a sack of shit that I just can't believe there isn't more to it. I'm very suspicious of it and for sure I think more will be revealed as the feud with AJ develops.

The reason they went that way with Emma is because that's how they went with her when she started on NXT. She was basically a generic wrestler that walked to the ring funny. It got over. And they went the organic route this time.

I think if a gimmick doesn't necessarily fit a wrestler, then don't bother with one at all. The biggest superstar in the business right now has had virtually no gimmick whatsoever since his debut. Daniel Bryan may become the blueprint of what WWE fans connect with in 2014.

Of course, there needs to be balance. For every Daniel Bryan, there's a generic nobody that does nothing. For every Bray Wyatt, there's a Papa Shango. Emma got over organically. I think if they force it, people will be like 'what the fuck is this shit'.

I think we need to give it time.

Fair enough.

And yeah, that segment was all sorts of awful. We can agree on that. Not at all the way you want to introduce someone you're making a champion. So hopefully they stick to the direction of the Smackdown vignette going forward.

On the issue of gimmicks in general ... the gimmicks have to fit the talent, and they have to make sense. I was soooo against Fandango as a gimmick (still am), because when WWE does outlandish gimmicks they have a shelf life: WWE gets bored with them, lets them fall to the wayside, and then the outlandishness of the character just gets in the way of building them back up. Emma's "gimmick" is just a character, a personality. That's something they can get over with ease, like Maria being ditzy or Mickie being crazy. Bryan has a character, but not a gimmick. And that's what I connect with most, personally.

But if WWE is inconsistent in presenting it, gimmick or character, you end up with Wade Barrett situations: a guy who could be great in a gimmick or character if he and WWE would just settle on one and stick to it. Thank God they finally did with the Bad News Barrett gimmick.

PW WrestleMania XI

Paige came off as extremely nervous for her first appearance on Raw I can understand she's only 21 but she was terrible on the mic.

I did not like the way Paige was introduced on Raw. First off she came out to congratulate AJ....Really? OK whatever. ...then she gets smacked and literally stayed down for what it seemed for minutes on end. She was looking like Curtis Axel when he first showed up when he got slapped by Hunter.

No chase no nothing wins the strap in 2 min. A j's run of nearly 300 days ends in a 2 minute contest? So much wrong with this its just terribly unbelievable. Paige was made to be a big deal and should have be treated in such fashion.

Queen B

Quote Originally Posted by theepwgoodfella View Post
    I did not like the way Paige was introduced on Raw. First off she came out to congratulate AJ....Really? OK whatever. ...then she gets smacked and literally stayed down for what it seemed for minutes on end. She was looking like Curtis Axel when he first showed up when he got slapped by Hunter.

No chase no nothing wins the strap in 2 min. A j's run of nearly 300 days ends in a 2 minute contest? So much wrong with this its just terribly unbelievable. Paige was made to be a big deal and should have be treated in such fashion.
    IA, of course their is the rumors that AJ lost her title because of CM Punk which is probably BS...I just don't get Paige if they wanted AJ to lose the title there is a lot of other Divas. Paige too me seems clumsy like a fish outta water...I don't think she is ready to be a the Diva Champ and the jury is still out for me, if she is ready to be a Diva at all.

IMO It's a slap in the face to the Divas that changed them from basically breast on wheels to having actually talent like Lita and Trish in the ring.

Well Vince Is big on Slapping People in the Face lately Point being just before WM He said hey Hunter you can't beat Daniel unless his hands are handcuff, Next we will go into WM and I'am going to Slap not only you but your best friend plus the other 17 guys plus Taker by letting a Guy who only came back because he couldn't make it in the NFL or UFC ( Yes he may have been UFC Champ but still Bombed) to End the Streak. Then tonight he tells Hunter that He, Randy, and David one of the best Groups in WWE ever are so big of Wimps that they can't take on the Shild unless 11 other guys take them out First.

As far as Pagie I didn't care for how she was brought in I don't get to see NXT so don't know much about her But her that Move she use in her Match with Fox tonight was great

Banned

Her Debut was terrible, but her match tonight was great. A lot of people will hold off on their bladder alerts now because of her.

They could have done the same thing with AJ's streak the whole time though. AJ loses the belt and suddenly Women's matches are worth watching after AJ loses it? I just don't buy their writing. It's terrible. We could have had this type of a woman's match months ago. The wrestlers are great and they will always be great.. I will always have a place for the WWF/E Wrestlers in my heart. It's the corporations I find questionable. It's like they're filming a Kardashian episode or anything related to Reality TV when I watch this shit these days.

Hunter wasn't lying when he announced the Reality Era.

Thread Information