Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Daily Shooting Thread, for your Gun Murder News, Updated Daily.

vCash
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default LAX shooting: 'Multiple victims' hit; at least 7 hurt

LAX shooting: The latest.

A gunman armed with a high-powered rifle opened fire at Los Angeles International Airport Friday morning, killing a TSA agent and wounding several others.

Authorities said the gunman fired at several locations in Terminal 3 before police shot him. LAX police did not reveal his condition.

The motive was unclear. A federal law enforcement official said that the gunman was a ticketed passenger entering the airport.

Officials don’t believe the gunman has ever worked for TSA. Law enforcement sources had earlier told The Times that the gunman was a TSA employee.

Los Angeles Police Department anti-terrorism officials were on the scene, but sources said they believe the suspect acted alone and was not tied to any known terrorist group.

At a news conference, the Los Angeles Fire Department said it treated seven people at the scene and transported six to local hospitals.

Patrick Gannon, the LAX police chief, said the gunman entered Terminal 3 at 9:20 a.m. He pulled an assault rifle out of his bag and began firing. He moved into the screening area and continued shooting, Gannon said. He got past the checkpoint area and moved further into the terminal.

Authorities tracked him down and shot him near a Burger King.

Vernon Cardenas, 45, of West Hollywood said he was at the airport on his way to Philadelphia when the shooting occurred about 9:30 a.m..
    “Sitting down, all of a sudden, literally just out of the blue, you hear a rumble in the background and a couple of seconds later, people are running at me,” said Cardenas, who does casting for the Fox television show "MasterChef." He described the scene as “mayhem,” with couples crying and parents who couldn’t find their children.

Brian Adamick, 43, said he was boarding a Spirit Airlines flight to Chicago at Gate 32 in Terminal 3 when a commotion erupted.

He said people were running through the terminal, away from a security area. Adamick said he went through an emergency exit downstairs onto the tarmac with several other passengers.

“While I was on the tarmac, I heard two gunshots from the same area where the people had been running and screaming,” he said.

A few minutes after he got outside, he said buses showed up to help evacuate passengers. He said he saw a wounded TSA agent board one of the buses. The man’s ankle was bloody: “it looked like it was straight out of the movies,” Adamick said.

The man told him, “I got shot, I’m fine.” He told passengers not to worry about him and that he had been shot before, Adamick said.

A White House official said President Obama had been informed of the incident: "The President has been briefed about the shooting at LAX. We will continue to stay in touch with our federal and local partners. The LAPD is leading the response and investigation. We urge citizens to listen to the authorities and follow directions from the first responders on site. The president will continue to receive briefings throughout the day.”

Tory Belleci of the television show "Mythbusters" tweeted: "Heard gun shots then everyone starting running for the door. Not sure if anyone was hurt. #LAX."

TV news footage showed dozens of officers swarming the airport. Images also showed a law enforcement officer being treated by paramedics. He appeared to be alert. Another officer had a bloody hand.

Earlier coverage:

12:17 p.m.: A federal law enforcement official said that the gunman was a ticketed passenger entering the airport. Officials don’t believe the gunman has ever worked for TSA. Law enforcement sources had earlier told The Times the gunman was a TSA employee.

12:05 p.m.: FBI: "We do not see any threats" at LAX at this time.

12:03 p.m. LAPD Chief Charlie Beck: Police will not discuss nature of injuries, any details about the suspect. Case being handled by FBI.

12:02 p.m.: Seven people treated by LAFD. Six transported to hospitals.

12:01 p.m.: LAX says some flights diverted to Ontario. Latest updates on flight schedule can be found on Twitter. @lax_official. Flights will be significantly delayed.

12:00 p.m.: Gannon said "multiple victims" have been shot. He did not provide further details.

11:58 a.m.: Patrick Gannon, LAX police chief: Suspect pulled rifle out of bag, opened fire in several locations. Police tracked suspect down, shot him in Terminal 3. He was taken into custody. "At this point be believe this was a lone shooter," he said.

11:56 a.m.: Garcetti: People should stay away from LAX, even those with flights this afternoon.

11:55 a.m.: Garcetti: Situation at LAX now "static."

11:50 a.m. Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti said on Twitter that planes at LAX are now departing from several terminals. But no new passengers are being allowed into LAX.

11:36 a.m.: Law enforcement sources told the Los Angeles Times that the gunman was a Transportation Security Administration employee at LAX. The gunman was killed by authorities after he opened fire Friday morning. He allegedly shot and killed a fellow TSA employee.

11:20 a.m. The gunman who opened fire at Los Angeles International Airport on Friday morning, killing a TSA agent, is dead, law enforcement sources told The Times.

No details about how he died were available. Law enforcement sources said investigators were trying to determine whether the gunman worked at LAX.

Los Angeles Police Department anti-terrorism officials were on the scene, but sources said they don't believe the suspect was tied to any known terrorist groups.

MORE: Eyewitness accounts of LAX shooting

11:10 a.m. A federal law enforcement official said that a TSA officer was shot and killed at a passenger screening checkpoint at Los Angeles International Airport. Three or four other TSA employees were injured in the shooting, the official said.

A suspect was in custody, the official said. The LAPD has taken control of the investigation and the crime scene, the official said. At this stage, the suspect does not seem to have a connection to a terrorist organization, and investigators were working to determine the motivation for the attack.

“This is a fluid situation,” the law enforcement official said.

A second federal source confirmed to The Times that the TSA officer was killed.
    11:07 a.m.: A news conference at LAX is scheduled for 11:30 a.m., according to the LAPD.

11 a.m.: SHOOTING AT LAX, EYEWITNESS ACCOUNT: Vernon Cardenas, 45, of West Hollywood said he was at the airport on his way to Philadelphia when the shooting occurred about 9:30 a.m. in Terminal 3.

“Sitting down, all of a sudden, literally just out of the blue, you hear a rumble in the background and a couple of seconds later, people are running at me,” said Cardenas, who does casting for the Fox television show "MasterChef." He described the scene as “mayhem,” with couples crying and parents who couldn’t find their children.

10:55 a.m.: Traffic in and around LAX is jammed. LAX passengers, some with children and luggage, fill sidewalks.

10:50 a.m.: A law enforcement source said that the gunman had a high-powered rifle and that at least three people were wounded, including one TSA agent.The suspect was in custody. Police looked for possible other suspects but so far have found none.

10:39 a.m.: Flights have been grounded at Los Angeles International Airport after a shooting that wounded at least one TSA agent. LAX officials said they did not know when flights would resume.

10:36 a.m.: A White House official said President Obama had been informed of the incident: "The President has been briefed about the shooting at LAX. We will continue to stay in touch with our federal and local partners. The LAPD is leading the response and investigation. We urge citizens to listen to the authorities and follow directions from the first responders on site. The president will continue to receive briefings throughout the day.”

10:30 a.m.: EYEWITNESS ACCOUNT: Brian Adamick, 43, said he was getting ready to fly to Chicago for his brother’s wedding and was boarding a Spirit Airlines flight at Gate 32 in Terminal 3.

He said people were running through the terminal, away from a security area. Adamick said he went through an emergency exit downstairs onto the tarmac with several other passengers.

“While I was on the tarmac, I heard two gunshots from the same area where the people had been running and screaming,” he said.

A few minutes after he got outside, he said buses showed up to help evacuate passengers. He saw a wounded TSA agent board one of the buses. The man’s ankle was bloody: “it looked like it was straight out of the movies,” Adamick said.

The man, told him, “I got shot, I’m fine.” He told passengers not to worry about him and that he had been shot before, Adamick said.

10:24 a.m.: TSA spokesman Nico Melendez confirmed one TSA officer was wounded in the shooting at LAX. He could provide no other details.

10:18 a.m.: Planes at LAX are grounded as the investigation of a shooting in which multiple people were wounded continues.

10:13 a.m.: A source at LAX told The Times that two or three TSA employees were hit by gunfire.

10:06 a.m.: The Los Angeles Police Department is on a citywide tactical alert. The LAPD would confirm only that two people were injured and that the suspect was in custody. LAPD Commander Andy Smith said "multiple shootings" occurred and that officers are still sorting out how many people were hurt.

10:05 a.m.: A man armed with a rifle opened fire at Los Angeles International Airport on Friday, leaving several people wounded.

Law enforcement sources told The Times that at least one Transportation Security Administration agent was shot.

Law enforcement officers were flooding the airport and terminals 2 and 3 were being evacuated.

Tory Belleci of the television show "Mythbusters" tweeted: "Heard gun shots then eve11:07 a.m.: A press conference at LAX is scheduled for 11:30 a.m., according to LAPDryone starting running for the door. Not sure if anyone was hurt. #LAX."

TV footage showed dozens of offficers swarming the airport. Images also showed a law enforcement officer being treated by paramedics. He appeared to be alert. Another officer had a bloody hand.
    http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...#axzz2jQPVWWPc

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: LAX shooting: 'Multiple victims' hit; at least 7 hurt

Can we just go ahead and rename this sub The Mass Shooting Forum?

What kind of debate is this going to spark that hasn't already been done a billion times with the same result?

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    Can we just go ahead and rename this sub The Mass Shooting Forum?

What kind of debate is this going to spark that hasn't already been done a billion times with the same result?
    "This is why why we need gun control!"
    "Fuck that. Obama's not taking my guns!"
    "'lol Murica~!"
    Repeat/rehash/blah blah blah...

vCash
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, according to the rules we used to make other subforums, the people dying in American threads that come up daily are taking away from actual discussion on world issues. I mean, these are like half the forum now.

BTW, is it time to talk about gun control yet?

Flowers gathered in the morning,
    Afternoon they blossom on,
    Still are withered by the evening:
    You can be me when I'm gone.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: More fun with weapons

Merge.

Quite obviously this is indeed a well-tread discussion, so a merger under "More fun with weapons" seems appropriate.

vCash
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yet even more fun with weapons?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...jured/3344567/

Mayor of Dawson Georgia had his apartment broken into and was shot and his mother attacked and tied up.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Real time updated gun death graphic.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a..._shooting.html

If an attack on US soil cost 10,000 lives we would demand justice and start a war. But when the war is on our own soil we say this is the cost of freedom.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today's gun violence report...

Gunman shuts down CCSU.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1506138

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since the campus shooter never opened fire, someone else decided to be today's mass shooting champion.

http://pix11.com/2013/11/04/shots-fi...s-on-lockdown/

@Foos

merle

Quote Originally Posted by vendrell View Post
    Yeesh. What would your good buddy Jesus Christ think of talk like that?

and you do know Obama doesn't post here right?
    Well, Jesus did kick the shit out of the Money Changers
    "And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves, And said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves."

—Matthew 21:12–13

Jesus was a badass!

BTW I love my guns. Nobody is taking them from me.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://news.yahoo.com/guns-ammo-edit...203042117.html

Guns & Ammo shocks readers with editorial calling for gun control
    Dylan Stableford, Yahoo News
    By Dylan Stableford, Yahoo News 12 hours ago

Florida Entrepreneur Creates Gun Fashion Line For Women

View gallery

Guns & Ammo, "the world's most widely read firearms magazine," is under fire from angry readers over a shocking editorial published in the December issue supporting gun control.

"Way too many gun owners still seem to believe that any regulation of the right to keep and bear arms is an infringement," contributing editor Dick Metcalf wrote in a column titled "Let's Talk Limits." "The fact is, all constitutional rights are regulated, always have been, and need to be."

Because of the Second Amendment, Metcalf argues, "all U.S. citizens have a right to keep and bear arms, but I do not believe that they have a right to use them irresponsibly."

Not surprisingly, many readers are flocking to the Guns & Ammo Facebook page, threatening to cancel their subscriptions and boycott the magazine's advertisers until Metcalf is fired.

"If Dick Metcalf isn't given the boot, I will give the boot to my subscription," one reader wrote. "Stabbed in the back by one of our own. What a shame."

"I've cancelled my subscription and I'm NEVER coming back, and I have been a reader since 1964 and a subscriber since 1970," wrote another. "It is unconscionable for a GUN magazine to publish this kind of dribble."

"I will NEVER read your magazine again," another reader wrote. "I will NEVER buy anything offered in your magazine. You can kiss my red blooded, white American ass!!!"

"Wow," wrote another. "Talk about 'shooting yourself in the foot.' What are you thinking by not listening to the response of your subscribers? You're making an EPIC mistake."

Gun rights advocates seem to agree.

"Anyone who says 'I believe in the Second Amendment but –' does not believe in the Second Amendment," Robert Farago wrote in a blog post on TheTruthAboutGuns.com. "They are not friends, they are not frenemies, they are enemies of The People of the Gun."

Farago also took issue with Metcalf's assertion that the First Amendment's guarantee of freedom of speech doesn't mean you can yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater.

"Yes. Yes you can," Farago wrote. "It’s just that you’re legally responsible for what happens next."

Farago added: "The right to keep and bear arms is a natural right, stemming from our natural right of self-defense. It doesn’t require belief, faith or political justification."

The magazine did not immediately return a request for comment.

But gun control advocates are cheering Guns & Ammo's decision to publish the column. The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence shared a link to a story about Metcalf's column on its Facebook page.
    An article in Guns and Ammo magazine supports gun control... and their readers are up in arms... pun? You be the judge...

I hope they stand firm but I guess we will see how loud money talks if the loudmouths follow through and walk.

Credit to BezerroBizarro from DeviantArt and Lony for Resisizing!
    http://bezerrobizarro.deviantart.com...oshi-163705876
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    0 days since a Cena fight. C'mon guys we need to at least get it up to two.
    http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=123457 THE KID VS DOSE MATCH IS ON!!!!

They still play defense? The Real LT's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dose View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/guns-ammo-edit...203042117.html

An article in Guns and Ammo magazine supports gun control... and their readers are up in arms... pun? You be the judge...

I hope they stand firm but I guess we will see how loud money talks if the loudmouths follow through and walk.
    Guns and Ammo already fired him.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by New York Times View Post
    MIAMI — An argument over texting at the movies ended in a cellphone user’s death, when a retired police officer in the audience shot him at a theater near Tampa, Fla., on Monday afternoon, the authorities said.

Two couples were among patrons at a matinee of “Lone Survivor” at the Grove 16 movie theater in Wesley Chapel, about 20 miles northeast of Tampa, when one of the men, a retired Tampa police officer, got angry because the man in front of him was using his phone during the previews, despite being asked to stop several times, said Douglas Tobin, a Pasco County sheriff’s office spokesman.

A witness told local television stations that the offended man stormed out to get a manager, but returned without one. The man using the phone explained to the irritated man that he was simply texting his 3-year-old daughter, the witness, Charles Cummings, told Tampa’s FOX 13 television.

“Three seconds, four seconds later, the argument starts again,” Mr. Cummings told reporters outside the theater. “Their voices start going up; there seems to be almost a confrontation. Somebody throws popcorn, I’m not sure who threw the popcorn, and, bang, he was shot.”

A nurse in the audience tried performing CPR on the victim while an off-duty sheriff’s deputy from another county detained the gunman.

The victim was identified as Chad Oulson, 43, of Land O’ Lakes, Fla. His wife, Nicole, had placed her hand over her husband just as he was shot, and was wounded, Mr. Tobin said.

The gunman, Curtis Reeves, 71, was charged with second-degree murder.

Mr. Reeves retired as a captain in 1993 from the Tampa Police Department.

The theater, part of the Cobb Theaters chain, was evacuated and closed.

Cinema executives acknowledged during a trade conference last year that they debated whether to accommodate younger viewers by allowing text messages during some movies. It was widely reported that the AMC chain had agreed to set aside the last rows for patrons to text without bothering others, but the company quickly denied considering such a move.

“Despite the tragic altercation in a Florida movie theater, which as reported is an isolated incident, movie theaters are a safe and enjoyable entertainment destination for millions of people,” said Patrick Corcoran, a spokesman for the National Association of Theater Owners. “We encourage our patrons to remember that they are sharing a common wish to be entertained and to treat their fellow moviegoers with courtesy and respect.”
    I'm speechless. It really doesn't end. You would think that this would possibly ignite some discussion about gun control. It's obvious that this country has an unhealthy relationship with guns...

You're Welcome.

vCash
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Daily Shooting Thread, for your Gun Murder News, Updated Daily.

Total Count: 3

Three dead today in a hate crime in Kansas City. No word yet on make and model of his weapon of choice. Will update when more information is given.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/alisonvingia...ters-in-kansas

To keep this thread going, feel free to post any public shooting information. If you can provide make and model of the weapon. Given these events are almost a daily occurrence I would say this thread should go on indefinitely. If you do update, please increase the current counter at the top of your post.

@Foos

Beat the Devil out of it Leper Messiah's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Daily Shooting Thread, for your Gun Murder News, Updated Daily.

The shooting is a shame, and it sucks it happened, but why no thread on the Pittsburgh area stabbing at a school, the left 20 hurt? We have metal detector s in school, and yet a kid walked in with alot knife, and started cutting people up, yet very little talk about banning knives, or putting words out about stabbings.

Are we such a hypocritical nation we just let stabbing s go under the radar, while want all guns banned over a shooting incident?

TGO

First, that story about the stabbing was everywhere. Just because it wasn't on PW means absolutely nothing. It was 20 hurt, and none killed. It'd be here if there were 20 dead, or even less than half, I'm absolutely sure. Funny thing, however, is that, if even one-fourth of those victims had died, that situation would have been an anomaly. More on that later.

The thing about stabbings is that you have to be in close proximity. That's why you don't hear much about mass stabbing deaths. They just don't happen with much frequency, and, when they do, usually the victims live to tell about it, which was obviously the case here. The FBI considers something a mass killing when 4 people are killed, not including the killer. According to the USA today, since 2006, there have been 180 such cases in the US, in which guns were involved. Knives? 26. Of those 26, roughly two-thirds were all family killings, likely in-home. The rest tended to be burglaries, which are, again, in-home. Tragic, and I'm sure they get plenty of local press, but certainly not anything of the sort that we're discussing here. If we're discussing public mass stabbings (again, mass is defined as 4 or more dead), want to guess how many there have been since 2006? Zero. Public mass shootings since 2006? 33.

Back to the stabbing at the school. Most of those 20 were out of the hospital that same day. Hell, one of the kids who was stabbed, took a damn selfie in the hospital. You hear nothing about that kind of stuff when a mass shooting happens, because, you know, those people are dead. Was it tragic that a kid decided to stab 20 people at his school? Surely. Does it in any way equate to Columbine, Virginia Tech, Aurora, or Sandy Hook, among others? Hell, fuck, shit no.

False equivalences enrage me.

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stabbings and shootings do have one thing in common, both are done by people with mental illnesses, that lead them to do things normal people wouldn't. Banning guns will just lead to a rise in stabbings, so until mental health is being taken care of, banning any weapons won't help the problem.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How can you say that? You just saw the statistics! That's like someone dying from a debilitating disease saying, "Wait, you mean this medicine just eliminates some of my symptoms? Screw that! I'd rather die in agony than take something that doesn't completely cure me!"

Reducing the availability of firearms would reduce the number of mass killings. Yes, it would be wonderful if we could fix the real problem (mental health). But why should we just allow deadly mass shootings to continue just because "Oh, people will just use knives for mass killings" when the actual statistics show a very different story?

TGO

Quote Originally Posted by Leper Messiah View Post
    Stabbings and shootings do have one thing in common, both are done by people with mental illnesses, that lead them to do things normal people wouldn't. Banning guns will just lead to a rise in stabbings, so until mental health is being taken care of, banning any weapons won't help the problem.
    Well you're in luck, since Obamacare has significantly helped the situation for the mentally ill!

But let's take your scenario that banning guns (something that isn't even being discussed) would lead to a rise in stabbings. You know what I'd say to that? Good. A rise in mass stabbings, concurrent with a decrease in mass shootings, would still mean far fewer deaths.

But again, no one here, or even in Washington, has said anything about banning guns, and the scenario I just proposed was nothing more than, and will only ever be, hypothetical. I'm not really sure how that was your response to anything I said, in all honesty.

Werehunter

That or they'll turn to home made bombs, which with the internet is extremely easy for someone to figure out how to build. I have little doubt that some of the people who have done mass shootings would use explosives with guns were not available.

vCash
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 dead in Maine - Murdered by Police:

http://www.wcsh6.com/story/news/loca...ndham/7634853/

Off to a good start today.

Yesterday's Daily Shooting weapon was a Shotgun.

For people complaining why other stuff was not reported, I just restarted this thread, but again it got merged into a larger one.

Currently 1 out of 500 people will be shot to death. Being shot to death is one of the leading causes of death.
    Last edited by Engel; 04-14-2014 at 10:49 AM.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Werehunter View Post
    That or they'll turn to home made bombs, which with the internet is extremely easy for someone to figure out how to build. I have little doubt that some of the people who have done mass shootings would use explosives with guns were not available.
    Bombs rarely do much damage unless people are very greatly clustered. Also to do a bombing right you need to put in more prep work than point and pull trigger. Generally the most effective bombs are car bombs, and they take a lot of prep and do not always explode.

For knife murders, a person with a knife can easily be disarmed since they need to get into close quarters. Knife wounds are less likely to be fatal as well.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We really need to ban cars. They can be as fatal as a gun. And if they were banned, Adam Lanza wouldn't have drove to Newtown shot up an elementary school.

I'll stop though before it turns into a "second amendment" thread.

vCash
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The primary purpose of a car is transportation. The primary purpose of a weapon is to injury or kill someone.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Engel View Post
    The primary purpose of a car is transportation. The primary purpose of a weapon is to injury or kill someone.
    And most people that own them do not use them for that purpose. In other words, most gun owners only have it in the event of needing it for that purpose or for recreational purposes or collection purposes.

Thread Information