Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do with Daniel Bryan now

Default What to do with Daniel Bryan now

So finally DB has won the championship. His climb to the top will go down as one of the best long term storylines in recent WWE history, the chase for respect. I've said many times before that the "chase" storyline can be one of the best ways to get a guy to the top, and it worked perfectly for Bryan. However, it would seem the chase is over as Bryan has won the title, beat the authority, and closed out a very historic WrestleMania. In my opinion, this is where the WWE has to really work to keep Bryan over. Yes, the fans love him now because of the way this storyline played out after the last 8-10 months, but how long will the fans continue their boisterous, undying support now that he is the top guy? This has been a weak point for WWE/writers for the last several years, trying to find a way to keep the fans' interest in the guy they just pushed to the moon. So what can/should the WWE do with Bryan now to keep him where he is? Who should Bryan feud with now? How long should he carry the title?
    Wildfire Tommy Rich for WWE HOF 2014

Default Re: What to do with Daniel Bryan now

This is what I see happening:

Extreme Rules: Bryan defeats Kane to retain the title
    --Feud with Bray Wyatt--
    Payback: Bryan defeats Bray Wyatt by DQ
    MITB: Bryan defeats Bray Wyatt to retain the title
    Battleground: Bryan wins some type of multi-man match to retain (Fatal 4 Way, Six Pack challenge)
    Summerslam: Bryan loses the WWE Championship to Batista or Brock Lesnar

Keep him strong against Orton and Batista through the next few months. Have him defeat Triple H again at Money in the Bank, and then definitively at Battleground (with some sort of stipulation). And then have Triple H bring in Brock Lesnar to face him at SummerSlam, where Daniel loses in an incredible effort.

That would give him a nice, long reign as champion, allow him to remain strongly booked against The Authority, and then set Brock up for a big victory. That way, Daniel can get back into the chase storyline where he is most effective.

And who knows? Maybe WWE will finally figure out the formula to keep an underdog challenger fresh as the champion, without pitting him against a series of giants and monsters like they did with Rey Mysterio (and to an extent, Punk during his first WHC run). Keep Bryan looking strong but always with that doubt of his ability to overcome. WWE may finally figure it out and do it. But if not ... better they play it safe and let Bryan look strong for a while and then resume chasing the belt than for them to totally tear him down.

The Silver-Tongued Devil versus The Ginger King
    PW WrestleMania XI

give him a haircut and a beard trimming??? im seriously tired of looking at hobo bryan. he should go back to the way he looked at wm28.

but i digress.....

after successfully defending against orton in their rematch i see wyatt getting a win over cena in their rematch and then a long feud with brian over the better part of the summer. wyatt beat him clean at the rumble after all. its ovious it was to set this up.
    "Everyone back to my trailer for pot pies and mountain dew" - Kevin Nash

I do think something needs to happen so DB can finally clean up a bit. I mean, I know the beard is quite popular, especially among kids, but the dude's gotta be tired of growing it out at this point. Plus, it'd be a good heat-getting plot device.

Bryan should beat the authority again and continue feuding with them up till MITB then Bray wyatt should start a program with DB which he goes over.

Thanks To Hayze

Queen B

I could see the storyline going as Triple H and Stephanie realize they won't beat the Yes movement, so instead try and force him to lose the hair and beard.

Tied to the tree of woe WickedOne's Avatar

No way he looses the beard and the hair at this point! His look plays into the whole "face of the WWE" crap, and is one more layer that the fans love. I see him working with evolution for a while, maybe even bring Flair back for a double cross angle, and then the big blow off with a gauntlet match or something at Payback. The most logical way to go after that is a program with Lesnar.

Have him beat Bruno's streak for longest title reign.

Flowers gathered in the morning,
    Afternoon they blossom on,
    Still are withered by the evening:
    You can be me when I'm gone.

There are still legs in this story, now that Bryan has achieved his goal and became the World Champion, the authority will look to get the belt off of him anyway possible, which could possibly force Triple H to ask one of his bitter enemies for help, thus setting up Brock Lesnar vs. Daniel Bryan for SummerSlam, where in a valiant effort Bryan will loose his title, and believe it or not if the writers are smart this could very well carry on for another year, I mean back in the day feuds lasted sometimes well over a year if booked correctly.

And sorry but I'm not believing the dirtsheets when it comes to Batista to either have or win the title at SummerSlam because he's in a big time movie. I think the WWE would shoot themselves in the foot and take a step backwards if they went that route and with SummerSlam being renewal period for them for the network they will look to make the fans happy any way possible to get those renewals, and Batista has been one giant turd bomb ever since returning, a good majority of the fans could give a flying fuck about Batista. I wouldn't count out an authority implosion thrusting Batista into a big storyline with either Triple H or Randy orton for SummerSlam to keep him in a top storyline.

And also don't forget that Cesaro is the new Paul Heyman guy, so just think of a possibility of a Cesaro/Bryan Championship match to test the waters between now and SummerSlam, which honestly if built up right has money written all over it.

If the beard has to go, HHH definitely needs to be the one to shave it off after a vicious assault.

I really don't see why it has to though, it ties into his look and there's 2 shirts based around it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz
    I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am then love me for something i'm not
    PW Power 25 winner July 2014

2014 PW video game draft

Episode 1 of "Sittin down for a chat with Oncall" with special guest Emperor

Quote Originally Posted by Engel View Post
    Have him beat Bruno's streak for longest title reign.
    This made me laugh.

Please dont ban me!!!

Just let him hold the at least until SS, keep feuding with authority, Batista, Orton and maybe Bray wyath after he beats Cena at the Extreme rules PPV...

As for the beard it doesnt have to go until he loses the title and take some time off due to " injuries" suffered in his title losing match and then he can come back a few months later with a fresh look

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    As for the beard it doesnt have to go until he loses the title and take some time off due to " injuries" suffered in his title losing match and then he can come back a few months later with a fresh look
    You would have the most over guy in WWE in the 21st century take time off? Why would you do that???

Credit to Hayze, myself and Magnus for the banner...

All the fantasy booking in the world won't stop this being incredibly difficult. It's quite correct that WWE struggle to keep the heat on underdog champions, but while most would argue that it's down to their incompetency, it's really because it's incredibly fucking difficult.

I would not have him beat HHH again and again. It damages HHH and it makes no sense given that the challenge now is for Bryan to hold the title and defend against all-comers. I would just run through the list of opponents logically, and then if I get the sense that his heat is at all dwindling, get the title off him. Hopefully it lasts until SummerSlam, that would be nice for him.

I don't see why the Authority + Orton and Batista (cleverly a faux-Evolution reunion) can't feud with the Shield, most over stable in the company and the uber over heavyweight champion? Have a survivor series style match? I know War Games get's thrown around, I like that idea.

Triple H wasn't damaged by losing to Batista three times in 2005. Showing that Bryan has Triple H's number, no matter how stacked the odds are, doesn't hurt Triple H in the least and only serves to elevate Bryan further. Besides, people like things that come in threes. Trilogies. There's a deep psychological desire for that "rule of three" structure in storytelling. Bryan defeating Triple H three times makes sense.

It's not like I'm advocating that Triple H put over everyone under the sun. In fact, I fully expect him to squash a couple people along the way "just because."

Look, Todd, I'm not suggesting it's an easy job. But WWE being incompetent and underdog booking being difficult are not mutually exclusive concepts. Rey Mysterio's booking in 2006 is enough to prove this definitively. They put him against Mark Henry, Kane, and Khali in losing efforts. They put him against JBL. He lost to Rob Van Dam. He went to a No Contest against Sabu. They treated him like a poor man's Eddie Guerrero, but never put him in a situation where he overcame the odds. He always lost non-title contests, and escaped title matches on a technicality.

There's a difference between trying to navigate the difficult waters of underdog booking and failing, and cutting the legs out from under your underdog champion. WWE has a history of doing the latter.

And no, this isn't me complaining. This is me taking an objective look at WWE's past patterns of behavior and using that to make informed decisions as to what I don't want to see them do this time around.
    Last edited by DC; 04-14-2014 at 12:42 PM.

PW WrestleMania XI

They also have a history of booking superhero-esque big men on top and not people that look like Daniel Bryan. WWE are changing their approach dramatically and you know damn well that this isn't going to be anything like Rey Mysterio.

I would rather the Bryan/HHH in-ring feud be picked back up once Bryan is rid of the title. They can have a feud spanning two or three PPVs that culminates in Bryan ridding himself of HHH once and for all. I prefer that because if you were to do it now, you would be shoehorned into Bryan going over HHH three times consecutively. Batista was a little different, he was a dominating type of character, and it was a blood feud for the title.

They may do it your way, who knows. They may have little choice. Any amount of HHH/Bryan is better than any amount of Bryan vs. any of HHH's cronies.

Quote Originally Posted by DC The Champ View Post
    In fact, I fully expect him to squash a couple people along the way "just because."
    You really had to edit your post to get this in?

When was the last time HHH even won a match where he wasn't underhanded as fuck? Four years ago at WrestleMania XXVI.

You make me scratch my brain.

I would like DB to have a Benoit run. Turning back all contenders with his reign ending at Summerslam at the hands of Wyatt. No superman booking no underdog booking. Just a normal sensible run.

Thanks Bender

I hate how people just expect guys like HHH, Orton, batista , cena to just lose constantly to all the young talent.. that's how you become a chris Jericho and a kane where a win no longer means anything anymore..
    Last edited by TheKliq; 04-14-2014 at 01:17 PM.

I'm not saying I expect WWE to throw Mark Henry, Big Show, Khali, Kane, and every other monster they can find against Daniel, job him out in non-title matches, and only have him win on dirty tricks with his jobber best friend's help. I'm just saying that WWE is historically extremely bad at booking underdog champions. Which is a fact. I don't see why pointing that out is such a problem. I'm just saying that I want WWE to do better than they've traditionally done in these situations; the fact that the Bryan situation is extremely unique in WWE's history only makes that more imperative.

I'm also not sure why Triple H would want to pick things up after the title is off of Bryan, considering the entire raison d'Ítre of this war is Triple H wanting to keep the title far away from Bryan. Once he achieves that, won't he be satisfied and be fine letting Bryan "sink back into mediocrity where be belongs"? Or won't he, by the time Bryan trounces him and his cronies a few more times, have a change of heart? You may be right, though: they may continue it with Triple H trying to destroy Bryan forever. But that seems like a feud with no clear beneficial endgame for either man, and one that would eventually have to lead to Triple H being taken out of power completely. Heck, I imagine Triple H will have bigger problems on his hands by the time Bryan loses the belt, and Bryan will be ready to move onto other storylines to stay fresh.

I'm not even talking about shoehorning the matches into the next two PPVs or anything. I'm talking about stretching the feud out through the summer and building to the final, definitive Triple H match. The story of Bryan's title reign is going to be the Authority trying to take the title from him. It's a story that they can stretch over the next three or four months without difficulty. And the better Bryan looks before he faces Lesnar (and two more victories over The Game will go a long way towards that), the better it'll be for that match.

PW WrestleMania XI

I would rather run with the idea that HHH keep putting roadblocks in front of Bryan. That would also play into the idea that HHH is kayfabe afraid to wrestle Bryan again in case he loses and he's embarrassed. At least if he only lost one match, in kayfabe HHH can pass it off as a fluke and still have something to defend, all the while the fans know Bryan beat HHH fair and square and was the better man. That sounds like good heat to me.

A three out of three success for Bryan against HHH is something you'd have to handle very carefully. The last thing you want is booking Roman Reigns vs. HHH and not having the same level of anticipation or fear about the finish because we know HHH is a bitch these days. They need to tread very carefully with that, and HHH knows it.

Which they can still do with what I'm suggesting.

As for the Roman Reigns match ... you're right, they need to tread carefully. But they could survive with not running the Hunter-Reigns match at SummerSlam, whereas they need to use Triple H to the full extent in the Bryan feud. You can't just backslide from Triple H "taking matters into his own hands because everyone else is incompetent" to relying on those same incompetent cronies to accomplish what he couldn't.

Furthermore, there are ways to keep Triple H looking strong even in defeat. A good heel doesn't need to win to stay strong. I think people are smart enough to realize that Bryan having Hunter's number doesn't make Hunter any less dangerous. And WWE can protect Triple H even in loss if they set their minds to it, because they've done it before.

(One last thing: why does the idea of Triple H being afraid to get in the ring seem just totally wrong to me?)

PW WrestleMania XI

Yeah, heels can look strong in defeat, but you're talking about Triple H losing three times to a guy who is much smaller than him.

I've talked to people who don't even buy the idea of Bryan beating Triple H once. I don't think he is a guy that they can put over Hunter like they did Batista. The long term implications of that are more detrimental than you're making them out to be.

HAYZE

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Heyman
    My client, Brock Lesnar, conquered the Streak.
    This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

Thread Information