Thread: Best Rookie Year?

Default Best Rookie Year?

Just watching Sheamus' 'My First Wrestlemania' clip (see here) and heard Cole say "No one has ever had a first year in the WWE like Sheamus has" at the 0:53 mark. It got me thinking about the best Rookie years and I think there can really only be one answer: Brock Lesnar.

He debuted the night after WM 18 and after just one year in the company Brock's resume looked like this:

- King of the Ring winner
    - Defeated The Rock for the Undisputed WWE Championship in the main event of SummerSlam
    - Last Undisputed WWE Champion until Randy Orton in 2013
    - Defeated Undertaker in a Hell in a Cell match for the title
    - Won the 2003 Royal Rumble match
    - Defeated Kurt Angle for the WWE Championship in the main event of Wrestlemania 19

There is a reason that they don't push guys like this anymore. Brock left after only two years in the company because he had already accomplished everything there was to accomplish and proceeded to bring the UFC (some consider a rival to WWE) to new heights in the PPV business due to the name he built as a WWE superstar.

Another reason might be that there has never and maybe will never be another guy like Brock Lesnar ever again. A man who can perform an F-5 on the Big Show and also execute a Shooting Star Press expertly (obviously not his botch at WM 19, but he did it flawlessly in developmental).

Can anyone's resume even remotely compare to this after just one year on the main roster? What other guys have had impressive Rookie years?

Default Re: Best Rookie Year?

Brock left because he was too weak to keep up with the schedule.

Cena had a good rookie year too. Debuted against Kurt Angle, PPV debut defeated Jericho who had just lost the Undisputed Title, challenged for the WWE Title on PPV.

The Shield have had an awesome rookie year last year. Wyatt's are having a good one too.

ADR had a good one: won the Rumble, MITB, the WWE Title.

Problem with those sort of Brock pushes is that the guy needs to be really ready for it all, and Brock wasn't, and neither was Sheamus thus why he failed in 2010 and had to be rebuilt in 2011 so he could re-enter the main-event in 2012 but that kinda failed too because WWE treated the World Title as second rate.

I think a strong case can be made for Kurt Angle's rookie year.

Started off with an extended undefeated streak.
    Won both the IC and Euro titles
    Won the WWE title by beating The Rock (albeit with some outside interference)
    Four month WWE title reign that carried just past his first year in WWE
    Cut some of the best promos for a newcomer to the world of pro-wrestling. His 3 I's promos were awesome.
    Wildfire Tommy Rich for WWE HOF 2014

yeah gotta be brock. only diesel comes close (all 3 titles won his first year and capped off with a 12 month wwf champion reign) and that was during a rather crap roster. Brock did his year during the most stacked roster ever essembled in north america.
    "Everyone back to my trailer for pot pies and mountain dew" - Kevin Nash

Brock was pushed to the moon almost from the jump. Granted he toyed around in mid card for a bit but it was always pretty much known wwe was just killing time for him for his Summerslam title match.

Tied to the tree of woe WickedOne's Avatar

Yokozuna had a pretty good rookie year, especially for back in the day. He debuted at the very end of October, then went on to win the Royal Rumble, had the first match in Monday Night Raw history, won the WWF title from Bret at mania, fueded with and beat Hogan, had a great fued with Luger, and then beat the Undertaker in a casket match.

Definitely got to be Brock. Got to remember that he also destroyed Hulkamania and was in the plans to destroy Austin on a TV match. They were going all in with the guy right from the start. I watched the new Brock documentary on the UFC Fight Pass and I learned about how Jim Ross and Jerry Brisco recruited him while he was still in college. They introduced him to Mcmahon, who was mesmerized by his look and asked him what his plans were after college. Brock told Mcmahon that he always wanted to be an entertainer. In the documentary Jim Ross acts as if Vince had an orgasm once Brock told him that. His push makes sense after hearing that story. I watched through his rookie year recently and I definitely feel like they should have pushed him a little slower. I don't think he was ready to win the strap at Summerslam(seems like it was rushed since Rocky was leaving). I think if they would have prolonged that title victory until after his babyface turn(maybe November or December 2002) they would have gotten more bang for their buck.

Now residing in the 256 BestInThe205's Avatar

Brock, Kurt, and The Shield all come to mind. In that order.
    (Mucho credit to Bender)

Goldberg. The guy went from an unknown to U.S Champ to World Champ in under a year, had that win streak, became a big star in WCW when they had a very deep roster at that time.

He at least deserves a mention.

Now residing in the 256 BestInThe205's Avatar

Well, Brock just got another accomplishment added to the list...

(Mucho credit to Bender)

Quote Originally Posted by BestInThe205 View Post
    Well, Brock just got another accomplishment added to the list...

Yup.. Can't believe it. What a resume.

My favorite wrestler of course.... KURT ANGLE. I'm pretty sure he won every single title and the King of the Ring AND a 6 man Hell in a Cell against every main eventer in the company at Armageddon 2000 (that might have been after the year mark though).

Thread Information