Thread: CM Punk, was he good for you?

Default CM Punk, was he good for you?

I swear I've not seen a thread like this yet, so hopefully I haven't missed one, also I'm unsure weather to put this in history of wrestling, but as he's still a big name, and talked about, I think its current. With that being said, say its over, hypothetically say he never comes back, and we never hear from him again, how would you rank his overall career?

I've been on these forums a long time, I don't post much, but I do lurk, and I remember way back when he was just leaving ROH and people were talking about how he could usher in the new attitude era, of course it never came to that, but he definitely was a big deal, he had many great moments an matches, but to me was never as big as he could have been, and most of his memorable matches happened in the tail end of his career. He had plenty of big moments, but never his long term storylines, for me, never really worked. So, how would you rank his stardom, how was his career, to you was it all it could of been, could he have gotten bigger, where do you rank his career overall? What could he have done different? What could WWE have done better? What were some of your favorite CM Punk moments? Some of the worst? And so on...

EDIT: I'm talking purely about his career in the WWE, not his time in the Indy's, if you could take his career in a WWE bubble how would you rank it?
    Last edited by Spawn; 03-26-2014 at 09:18 AM.

Default Re: CM Punk, was he good for you?

In terms of his ability, both in mic work and in ring work he is in the top 10 in WWE history for me but he didn't quite get to the level he had the potential to.

If I look back at his accomplishments he did a lot, 2 time WWE Champion with the longest reign in 25 years and he also won the Intercontinental Title and Tag Team titles, as well as the ECW Title. He successfully defended the WWE Championship at a WrestleMania (but not in the main event) and took on the streak last year. But for me in terms of his accomplishments it doesn't quite put him as one of the best of all time for me. Most of his accomplishments I could say the same about Diesel for example, Diesel had a year long reign as champion and successfully defended it at WrestleMania only to lose it and then take on The Undertaker at WrestleMania.

CM Punk lacks a Royal Rumble win and a main event match at WrestleMania, and when I say main event I mean the last match on the show. None of this is a fault of his own, he could very easily have won both the Royal Rumble and actually main evented WrestleMania during his run so I don't put the blame on him at all.

Top 30 in WWE history I would say, with another 3 to 5 years he could have been top 20 and he still might do that. Personally I think he will have a year away and then return next year, I was one of the people who still thought he might return before WrestleMania but he needs a big break.

I remember Chris Jericho took a break from 2005 to 2007 and he was around the same age as CM Punk at that time and he came back completely fresh and rejuvenated. CM Punk needs that sort of break, probably to the point where even a year away wouldn't be enough for him.
    Last edited by L.T.D; 03-26-2014 at 09:38 AM.

"Did you hear the one about the man, who can't be destroyed?"

Was he good for me? Yes, he was incredible. I had to have a cigarette afterwards, although he did berate me, being straight edge and all.

Credit goes to Mr. J for this awesome banner!

http://happykatana.wordpress.com/201...eckoning-mode/- My idea for the Day Of Reckoning style of Story Mode to return in 2K15. Check it out!

Punk was an attitude era star trapped in the pg era. Its a shame it took so long for him to get the push that he deserved that we only got a few years in the spotlight. I still don't think this is the end for Punk. Next time Chicago comes up for wrestlemania would Punk really turn down an offer to main event wm in his home town? The storylines write themself whether its against Cena, HHH , Bryan, or even Batista. WWE knows he is a huge draw in Chicago, I can see them offering a rumble thru summerslam deal that lets him win the rumble as a surprise entrant, win in the main event at wm, work a few months putting iver some younger talent then put somene like Ambrose over in a big match at SummerSlam. Its a win-win scenario.

Yes. The man had an amazing run from 2010-2013. From the Nexus storyline to his 434 days as WWE Champion, to his feud with Taker.

He accomplished so much and everything he possibly could've. Except the Royal Rumble.

But like Cajun said... I don't think this is the end of Punk just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    WWE knows he is a huge draw in Chicago, I can see them offering a rumble thru summerslam deal that lets him win the rumble as a surprise entrant, win in the main event at wm, work a few months putting iver some younger talent then put somene like Ambrose over in a big match at SummerSlam. Its a win-win scenario.
    Can you imagine if that happened, and a current top level star ends up leaving as a result of this hypothetic Punk return

I was a Straight Edge Society fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Kovie View Post
    Yes. The man had an amazing run from 2010-2013. From the Nexus storyline to his 434 days as WWE Champion, to his feud with Taker.

He accomplished so much and everything he possibly could've. Except the Royal Rumble.

But like Cajun said... I don't think this is the end of Punk just yet.
    I'd argue from '09, his first proper run as a heel in the 'E, he was brilliant. That feud with Hardy was amazing.

I miss Punk. The thought of him never returning is a sad one.

The Ultimate Fic'er
    Pro-Wrestling FEVER
    "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."

One of my all time favourites. Somewhere between 3 and 5.

Considering his angle with Cena going into MITB 2011 got me to care about WWE's product again, and 430 day title run kept my interest, then I'd rank him one of WWE top performers of all time. He left a mark on the company, so IMO, he was great.

I enjoyed his matches but that was it. I'm the kind of guy that don't want people to stay somewhere they aren't happy. If he was so unhappy, he should have left even earlier. Nobody nailed his foot to the floor. Doors open and close.

We the People's Champion The Champ's Avatar

He was one of my favorites when he was around and he gave me some of my most cherished memories as a wrestling fan, ones I'll never forget.

I've moved on, though. I seriously doubt he's made his last ever appearance on WWE TV, but I'm okay with him taking a long break. Meanwhile, there's now another spot available in the main event for which some of these young guys can fight.

Bender

This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

CM Punk will go down as my second favorite wrestler of all-time. Stone Cold Steve Austin will always be #1 because he was my favorite when I first started watching wrestling as a kid back when I thought it was real in the good old days. Punk is a close second because without him being in the company I likely would've lost interest as I was starting to get bored with the product for a while and began watching less frequently until I saw Punk debut. Being from Chicago I liked him from the beginning and then just everything about his character and in-ring work made me interested in him even more.

I will never not be turned on by the image of SES-era Punk.

The best. There are like two wrestlers I've ever spent actual money on & CM Punk is by far the one guy who shot a hole through my wallet. Some fantastic in ring work, words aren't enough to describe his best micwork since 09. And from the looks of it, his worked shoot helped lay the groundworks for a entirely new era. Also, he was the one Indy guy that changed things and made them look at the whole thing differently. I think. Maybe. He will return eventually, and even if he doesn't, I'm okay with it. I'll love his work regardless.

Was CM Punk good for me?

Well, when I look back on his entirety in the WWE. It just fills me with nostalgia trips and such, I remember those vignettes hyping him to debut on the ECW brand, him turning on Old School ECW to help the New Breed, only for him to turn on the New Breed. (Also, was he a part of that Mania match between OS ECW/NB ECW?)

CM Punk is a 2 time World Heavyweight Champion, 3 time WWE Champion, 1 time IC Champion, 1 time Tag Team Champion, 2 time MITB winner, numerous time Slammy Award winner. Only accolade I see missing from that list is a Rumble Win.

His best run of course was from 2010-2014, that is when I finally realised that Punk had come into his own in the WWE. That people were actually taking him seriously, not just some sideshow/third wheel act of the show. Come on, can anyone remember his first WHC reign that good? A feud with JBL and something else, that is all I remember. From 2010-2014 we had him leading the New Nexus, hold the company for ransom, become WWE Champion in his hometown/state, hold the title for over 400+ days, headline 2 PPVs with The Rock, a memorable feud with Taker...and of course great matches week-in-week out.

So, yeah.. Punk was good.
    - Credit: Bender -

Punk was really good, I greatly enjoyed him. But as time is going on, I'm over him leaving. I wish he would have finished his deal or at least spoken about why he just left, that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

This banner by ThisIsMayhem on deviant art. Google Image Search Movement

Banned

CM Punk had a fantastic run. He's one of my all time favorites. I loved the straight edge society. I loved his voice of the voiceless character. He made me interested in wrestling again in 2011. He's had some of the best matches in the history of the business. His 400+ day championship reign was brilliant.

Not sure how you can separate Indy Punk from WWE Punk when he ran the same gimmick in both feds. WWE had SES instead of SCS but that was it. When he turned heel in RoH he kept the gimmick in WWE. I can see some Punk fans turning on him for joining WWE, but Punk in WWE was indy punk with a louder mic. He never changed.

Fans of Punk know he is not done. The dude's life is wrestling and he will only wrestle for the biggest platforms he can. He will return and that return will be to WWE.

I do wonder if everyone is being worked. Punk taking his ball and going home seems more like a story his character would do. Which makes me think Punk is taking a year off, recovering, then will come back.

Flowers gathered in the morning,
    Afternoon they blossom on,
    Still are withered by the evening:
    You can be me when I'm gone.

Thread Information