Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did Punk inadvertently save WM30?

Default Did Punk inadvertently save WM30?

How CM Punk inadvertently saved WrestleMania 30 :

We're nearing the two-month mark since CM Punk walked out on WWE, and what has followed most, myself included, didn't see coming -- the road to WrestleMania 30 got better.

Daniel Bryan will likely be working two WrestleMania matches this year if he defeats Triple H early in the night. If he does, he gets inserted into the WWE world heavyweight title (this name has got to go) match against Randy Orton and Batista. None of this is possible if Punk doesn't walk out on the company in January.

Losing Punk for the long-term is still an issue, but the timing of his departure changed the course of WrestleMania 30 for the better.

I'm not a betting man, but if I was I'd be willing to put a lot of money down on Bryan not only defeating Triple H, but also closing out WrestleMania 30 celebrating with the title.

There is still a chance that WWE could do somewhat of a swerve and have Batista pin Orton to win the championship, but that's still not how you want to close the biggest pay-per-view of the year -- pissing off the majority of your fanbase.

With all that said, there seems to be a growing belief on the dirt sheets and wrestling forums that perhaps this was WWE's plan all along.

That they were just stringing the Internet along and the idea all along was to finally give Bryan his moment at WrestleMania 30. That's probably not the case, but it doesn't matter.

Sure, Triple H might pat himself on the back in an interview later in Bryan's inevitable DVD in a couple of years, and most fans will probably buy it. If things go well for Bryan at WrestleMania 30 and he wins the big one it will be a much deserved special moment for wrestling fans everywhere.

But that doesn't signal WWE wanted to go this route all along.

Prior to Punk walking out there were reports creative was thinking about booking Sheamus vs. Daniel Bryan at WrestleMania.
    Not too long after that report there were rumors floating around that Bryan would be facing Kane.

Obviously plans changed, but the way Bryan was booked just two months ago signaled Kane made the most sense as his WrestleMania 30 opponent.

Once Punk opted out of giving the young upstart Triple H the WrestleMania rub he needed, Bryan was rumored to take his place. Bryan moved up the card through Punk simply walking out on the company. It made more sense to have a big payoff match with Bryan and Triple H at a major pay-per-view to begin with, but for whatever reason WWE wanted to give Punk that spot.

That's not a slight at Punk either. Punk wanted to be in the title picture and it made more sense for him to be there at WrestleMania this year than feuding with Triple H again.

But with Triple H and Bryan's history their WrestleMania match looks like it's masterful long-term book, when in actuality this match doesn't happen if Punk doesn't leave.

Not only did Bryan get Punk's spot to face Triple H at WrestleMania, but he also got added to the WWE world heavyweight title match, which will close out the show.

The most interesting aspect of Bryan getting added to this match is perhaps the possibility that had Punk stayed around a little bit longer he would have been inserted into it too, while Bryan would only take on Triple H.

That may not have been the case had Punk stayed, but with his duly noted disdain towards Batista winning the Royal Rumble match adding Punk to the match would have blurred the lines between kayfabe and reality in a major way that WWE loves to do nowadays.

With how WWE has booked Punk and Bryan over the last year it's fair to assume Vince would have probably added Punk to the title match after Batista bombed (not intentional, I swear) as a babyface in his return to the company.

It's still unknown what the exact reason was for Punk's departure, but had he waited just a few more weeks it's realistic to believe he's in the main event of WrestleMania 30, and not Daniel Bryan.

Punk might have seen his sudden departure leading to big things for Bryan at Wrestlemania 30, but that's pretty unlikely.

The last thing Punk wanted to check off his wrestling bucket list was to close out a WrestleMania, and had he stuck around as Batista got rejected by the fans week after week there was a good chance he would have been the guy Vince and company decided to stick in the main event, not Bryan.

In the long-term Punk's departure will continue to hurt, but WrestleMania 30 is likely going to end with Bryan finally getting the WrestleMania moment he deserves. And that's a great thing. It just wasn't a part of the plan.

Posted by : http://www.cagesideseats.com/

Default Re: Did Punk inadvertently save WM30?

I refuse to give Punk credit here.

The writers and the talent 'saved' Mania

Thanks Heteroflexible

If by saved mania you mean finally got his lazy half assed character off my tv screen and gave triple h a better opponent to feud with... Then yes, I could probably agree with that.

I have said it before, Punk leaving gives WM 30 a chance to go from being a good Wrestlemania to a great Wrestlemania. Was that intentional? Did he do it for Bryan? Was he sick of the over all direction of the product? I have no idea to be honest.

However hopefully one day we can get Punk's side of the story.

Thanks JV for the artwork!!

Yes, I believe that CM Punk's decision to walk away from WWE made it possible for a much better outcome for this event. Would I say he "saved" WrestleMania? I don't know. But I do know that he chose the exact right moment to go home because it allowed all the pieces to fall into far more natural spaces.

I also believe that a host of other factors played into it, including the fan response to Batista.

The Silver-Tongued Devil versus The Ginger King
    PW WrestleMania XI

[QUOTE=DC The Champ;3988037]Yes, I believe that CM Punk's decision to walk away from WWE made it possible for a much better outcome for this event. Would I say he "saved" WrestleMania? I don't know. But I do know that he chose the exact right moment to go home because it allowed all the pieces to fall into far more natural spaces.

I also believe that a host of other factors played into it, including the fan response to Batista.[/QUOTE]

That's a good point. Perfect storm of Punk leaving and Batista's arrival = bigger role for Bryan.

WrestleMania hasn't finished yet lol. Classic case of setting up for a disappointment if things don't go the way some fans will think.
    Who is the boss? Who made wrestling? Who is sports entertainment?

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Mcmahon View Post
    WrestleMania hasn't finished yet lol. Classic case of setting up for a disappointment if things don't go the way some fans will think.
    True, however at least Bryan got a bigger match then wrestling Sheamus early on in the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmania View Post
    True, however at least Bryan got a bigger match then wrestling Sheamus early on in the show.
    Well, that's true he is in a better position.
    Who is the boss? Who made wrestling? Who is sports entertainment?

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Mcmahon View Post
    Well, that's true he is in a better position.
    As a Bryan fan that was satisfying enough for me. While ending Wrestlemania with the YES chant would be great, I hope in a few months from now it doesn't end up feeling like they gave too much to Bryan too soon.

And for the record, I still think Batista has as good a shot at winning the belt as anyone.

Peakaboo... You're Doomed theshape31's Avatar

I still don't understand why people take that as fact when there was absolutely nothing to it other than an anonymous rumor. Does anyone honestly think that they've been teasing Bryan as champion since Summerslam in order to place him a random midcard match at Wrestlemania?

this was never proven... Bryan very well could of still been planed and set up to be in the title match to begin with and even if he wasn't he could of still been added once they saw the reaction to batsita regardless of punk leaving.

Ummm ... if Randy and Batista were supposed to have a singles match for the title, and CM Punk was supposed to face Triple H ... who was Bryan going to face, again?

It was either going to be Kane (the Authority) or Sheamus (following a heel turn and joining the Authority). Either way, Bryan was not part of the title picture for 'Mania and his booking proved that. It was the fan reaction that made it impossible for WWE to continue with that plan, and it was Punk's departure that opened up new possibilities.

The Silver-Tongued Devil versus The Ginger King
    PW WrestleMania XI

Yeah, DC sums it up nicely.

Also, I have noticed that over the last few years when the Wrestlemania rumored card has leaked to the dirt sheets, most of it has turned out to be true. I am not saying that everything websites post is accurate, however the Wrestlemania card that gets leaked is often pretty accurate.

Case in point, when I read that Cena was rumored to be wrestling a Wyatt, I thought "no way, just a silly internet rumor." Well.....

Punk leaving and the crowd reaction to what the WWE Championship match is what it seems contributed to the direction of WM. The former probably leading to Bryan getting a match with Triple H, and the latter definitely leading to the triple threat scenario.

surrender

Daniel bryan could of easily still been planned to be added to the title match all along.. There is no proof other than a stupid dirt sheet to claim otherwise..

WWE playing it by ear has been for the better anyway. I know everyone creams over long-term planning, but half of the time it just makes everything seem artificial. Any match is open to change and if Bryan was going to face Kane or Sheamus then that was always up for debate at the writing table.

Why don't people like to give the dirt sheets any credit on a story that turns out to be legit?

Because it happens more often than the company and its talking points would like.

To the article's point---YES!!!!!!

WWE had their grand vision in mind, and it certainly didn't involve Daniel Bryan, especially after Summerslam. For people that will say "There's no way WWE didn't have Bryan in the main event planned." I say the exact opposite. Post Summerslam and into the fall, I saw Daniel Bryan getting the Christian treatment by WWE (by the same guy, Randy Orton. How symbolic. ), and fans were having none of it.

Punk & HHH was what they had in mind. Punk left, and put them in a corner. They had to adapt, and I was surprised as hell that they did.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
    I'll be honest, I'll probably chant CM Punk in Brooklyn again.

I'm a follower.

This will stay in my sig until John Cena vs. The Rock----THRICE AS NICE. Or until I don't think it's funny anymore.

Sure, anything is possible. However if Punk stayed and fans were massively cheering Batista's return it would have been interesting to see what they would have done with Bryan.

Quote Originally Posted by Djm View Post
    Why don't people like to give the dirt sheets any credit on a story that turns out to be legit?

Because it happens more often than the company and its talking points would like.

To the article's point---YES!!!!!!

WWE had their grand vision in mind, and it certainly didn't involve Daniel Bryan, especially after Summerslam. For people that will say "There's no way WWE didn't have Bryan in the main event planned." I say the exact opposite. Post Summerslam and into the fall, I saw Daniel Bryan getting the Christian treatment by WWE (by the same guy, Randy Orton. How symbolic. ), and fans were having none of it.

Punk & HHH was what they had in mind. Punk left, and put them in a corner. They had to adapt, and I was surprised as hell that they did.
    That's a good point DJM. Many of us are often quick to slam dirtsheets however do not turn around and give them credit when it is due. As I said before, the Wrestlemania card that gets posted on websites by January usually turns out to be true...this year they got Cena vs. Wyatt, Taker vs. Brock, and Orton vs. Batista for the title right. 3 big matches correct and if Punk had stayed I think he would have been wrestling HHH, which would have made it 4 matches right.

I believe so, those who downplay Punk impact on the WM card by leaving are either people who hate the guy guts or sHHHit fans who feel disrecpected like Hunter does by Punk leaving him hanging and not seeing their schelude match as a big deal

Banned

Let me explain this, not in a way you'll understand but in a way I love. If CNN and Fox news or any other mainstream network blasts Punk then I'll praise him. If Beyonce, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Ke$ha, Oprah, Nick Cannon, Jay Z, Sean Combs, Dave Grohl, Kanye West, Kim Kardashian, Billy Joe or any other mainstream entertainer takes him down a peg, then I'll bring him up a notch. There's just something about going against this rancid system that I absolutely love. In my playbook, this is where you have to be. These are the people you need to piss off. You can't piss them off with speech though.. You need to piss them of with action. That is exactly what Punk did.

Hunter and Steph? They're child's play.

I think in a way Punk did help Wrestemania 30 because he presented a human element to it. A human disagreed with a non-human business called WWE, so I'm routing for the human. The WWE is not a person, guys. It's a business. It's business is to suck in as much business as possible. They want your dollars. Are dollars going to be worth anything in 2 years time? Who knows. Probably not, but right now those dollar can be used to do other things other then watching The undertaker fight Brock Lesnar, Hunter fight Bryan, Cena fight Bray.. I really don't give a shit about these guys anymore. They aren't human. They are products. It's like spending 3 hours to watch Pepsi fight Coke, Big Mac vs Whopper. It's all bad for you.

Think of those 3 matches then think of something else you can spend your time doing. I'm going to go to the Canada games center and put together more treadmills and then probably try to run 10k under 1 hour. My record last year was 10k in 1h 17.

I'l see you there.

yes punk sure showed them by becoming unemployed and quitting the business he claimed to love before he ever fully realized his dream..

Banned

I have been leaning more towards God in these times and even though Punk is an Athiest, I can completely understand where he's coming from. First off, Unemployment to Punk is freedom. Unemployment to me was freedom as well. I worked for Aye Tee and Tea and it was terrible. Just one angry customer after another telling me off. Why can't you fix this? I just moved here, why don't I have coverage!? Why am I paying so much when I don't have service? Why did my phone break a day after the buyer's remorse period ended? Where's my phone update? Where's my phone update? Where's my phone update? I handled escalations, and I did my job, but eventually I got tired of it because I wasn't in control. When buddy asked me when their phone updates were coming I could only read verbiage from their systems. It was and still is total bullshit. " I understand your frustration, but the updates are being professionally synced with our system to give you the ultimate experience! Thank you for being the best part of Aye Tee and Tee" I've never actually typed that to a customer because it was too shady, so I would have to google Andoid 4.3 update and get my info from message boards. I would try my best to give them the best info possible, but 9 times out of 10, I couldn't do that, because what people wanted wasn' in my field to provide so I left. I did my first Aid course, and my Kitchen Safety course. In Septemter I'm going to College to become a cook so I can control what I create. Maybe that's how Punk began to feel? I think so. I think he was trying to give you guys the best wrestling that he could provide, but he was limited.

People try to break down wrestling to the point where you need to be wearing a labcoat and have a PHd but it's really more simple then that. You just gotta be human. You just gotta know what excites ya and what frightens ya. I was 7 years old and never spent a dollar. I lived through the best storylines probably ever.

He has earned enough money to live exactly how he wants to, he does not have to answer to anyone on this earth. When the Dollar falls? Yes. He is going to possibly run into trouble, but until then he will continue doing what he wants to do.

All we need to do is live with it. If it negatively effects you, then turn it into a positive. If it positively effects you then I hope it's for reasons that will push you to the next level. If it doesn't effect you at all then, who knows?
    Last edited by SpencAblacK; 03-26-2014 at 04:04 AM.

Even if Punk was still there, they could've just as easily added Bryan to the title match if the crowd was still demanding it, which I would imagine they would have been.

I think a motivated Punk would've given Triple H a really good feud. But it was so clear he wasn't interested, and that isn't revisionist history, people were saying it for weeks before he left here.

As for whether Punk leaving saved Wrestlemania, I don't think so. I still don't think Bryan working twice is the optimal Wrestlemania card. It's great for Bryan, obviously.

"I like cake."

Quote Originally Posted by MrAndersons Mic View Post
    Im posting my thoughts not for them to be debated or argued against. I would like for folks to understand and agree with my point of view while throwing dookie at the McMahons and laughing at it.

Thread Information