Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Why not acknowledge the Punk chants?

  1. #1

    Default Why not acknowledge the Punk chants?

    Obviously we all hear the fans chanting for Punk when they are bored or when someone with X-Pac heat comes on the screen... my question is... why don't Stephanie or Triple H ever egg the fans on?

    "Keep dreaming you'll never seem him again! mwahahahaha"

    That's literally all you have to do. I find it incredibly awkward and disconcerting with the overwhelming Punk chants in spots they shouldn't be just because the crowd likes fucking with the performers. Shouldn't the performers give it right back?

    "I know you all love crybabies considering how much crying DB fans do, but GET OVER IT HE'S GONE!"

    It seems like it would make perfect sense no?

    Last night, Stephanie shot down the crowds chants for DB saying "you can keep chanting all you want he's not here"...... just do the same thing for Punk... except it's not a work. Is the WWE really so stubborn that they refuse to even acknowledge the situation? They turned Batista heel after ridiculous crowd reaction, can't they just mention Punk once? "Forget it guys he's DONE like the Sopranos!".

  2. #2
    The Silver-Tongued Devil DC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7,429

    Default Re: Why not acknowledge the Punk chants?

    Because it makes no sense to do that unless he's coming back. If they just ignore it, eventually the energy will die out because there are too many other things going on. But the minute the acknowledge it on-camera, they add legitimacy to it and get people thinking, "Is this a work? Is he coming back now?" From there, it will feed on itself until it becomes a monster.

    Better to just try to ignore the fans in this instance, since he's not coming back.

    The Silver-Tongued Devil versus The Ginger King
    PW WrestleMania XI

  3. #3
    Senior Member Burlap Sac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    246

    Default Re: Why not acknowledge the Punk chants?

    You mean besides Paul Heyman coming out to his music in Chicago?

    This banner by ThisIsMayhem on deviant art. Google Image Search Movement

  4. #4
    The Silver-Tongued Devil DC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7,429

    Default Re: Why not acknowledge the Punk chants?

    Quote Originally Posted by Burlap Sac View Post
    You mean besides Paul Heyman coming out to his music in Chicago?
    That was different. That was Chicago. That was a way to garner massive heat the same way they've done for years playing Bret's music in Montreal, and all the other times they've "trolled" the audience for heat. They had to acknowledge it that one time, deliberately, at the start of the show, with no sign of Punk, because otherwise those Chicago fans would have built their anticipation all night long and it would have resulted in a horrible atmosphere (for WWE) by the end of the show.

    But they already acknowledged that he's gone in Chicago. Why would they do it again? There's no reason to do so. And as I said in my previous post, it would be damaging to acknowledge him or the chants directly at this point.

    The Silver-Tongued Devil versus The Ginger King
    PW WrestleMania XI

  5. #5

    Default Re: Why not acknowledge the Punk chants?

    Idk seems more damaging to me to have fans continually chant his name every week only to be constantly ignored as if it isn't happening.

  6. #6
    COYG Todd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Wales
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,161

    Default Re: Why not acknowledge the Punk chants?

    As far as WWE is concerned, and I am concerned quite frankly, the sooner they go away the better. He isn't coming back and the chants are just proving a distraction. Ignore them and let them die.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Burlap Sac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    246

    Default Re: Why not acknowledge the Punk chants?

    Quote Originally Posted by DC The Champ View Post
    That was different. That was Chicago. That was a way to garner massive heat the same way they've done for years playing Bret's music in Montreal, and all the other times they've "trolled" the audience for heat. They had to acknowledge it that one time, deliberately, at the start of the show, with no sign of Punk, because otherwise those Chicago fans would have built their anticipation all night long and it would have resulted in a horrible atmosphere (for WWE) by the end of the show.

    But they already acknowledged that he's gone in Chicago. Why would they do it again? There's no reason to do so. And as I said in my previous post, it would be damaging to acknowledge him or the chants directly at this point.
    That's what I was saying. WWE has acknowledged it, and moved on, the universe hasn't, and perhaps, maybe they never will. Just like DB, perhaps they can change things to bring him back. We'll never know, but we do know that is only up to CM Punk.

    This banner by ThisIsMayhem on deviant art. Google Image Search Movement

  8. #8
    We the People! JV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,639

    Default Re: Why not acknowledge the Punk chants?

    WWE is doing the right thing by ignoring the chants. To be quite honest the chants haven't been happening at the rate many thought it would. Yeah fans chant his name at times when they get bored with something, but they are in no way preventing WWE from running their shows. In other words they have failed to hijack the show.

  9. #9
    Front heel kick Leper Messiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    26
    Posts
    5,589

    Default Re: Why not acknowledge the Punk chants?

    WWE doesn't acknowledge the chants, nor does it get CM Punk...

    And yet people still think showing up and chanting stuff on Raw will send a message like tuning out would.

    Like DC said, it's better just ignore them, instead stirring shit by acknowledging them. Especially if it's not gonna change anything.

  10. #10
    RIP Test 1975-2009 JoMo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    PGH
    Posts
    1,114

    Default Re: Why not acknowledge the Punk chants?

    Quote Originally Posted by Haynus_Aynus View Post
    Idk seems more damaging to me to have fans continually chant his name every week only to be constantly ignored as if it isn't happening.
    They typically don't continually chant his name. It happens in spurts and then dies off quickly. Eventually a "CM Punk" chant will just be a random name fans chant whenever they are bored witrh a match like "Randy Savage" currently is.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Vince Mcmahon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,776

    Default Re: Why not acknowledge the Punk chants?

    I agree it's best to ignore it. Heyman addressed it already in Chicago.

    At least the champ isn't getting "We Want Flair" chants like Luger got in WCW in 1991 lol.
    Who is the boss? Who made wrestling? Who is sports entertainment?

    WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

  12. #12

    Default Re: Why not acknowledge the Punk chants?

    Fair enough. But when I hear the fans chant for Punk I just want Triple H (or Stephanie even) to verbally smack them down and make them feel stupid. Particularly because I find the chants grating.

  13. #13
    Front heel kick Leper Messiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    26
    Posts
    5,589

    Default Re: Why not acknowledge the Punk chants?

    Quote Originally Posted by Haynus_Aynus View Post
    Fair enough. But when I hear the fans chant for Punk I just want Triple H (or Stephanie even) to verbally smack them down and make them feel stupid. Particularly because I find the chants grating.
    I like when that happens to, just because I get a good laugh out of it.

    But sadly, it does nothing bring Punk back, or calm down people chanting.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Burlap Sac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    246

    Default Re: Why not acknowledge the Punk chants?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Mcmahon View Post
    I agree it's best to ignore it. Heyman addressed it already in Chicago.

    At least the champ isn't getting "We Want Flair" chants like Luger got in WCW in 1991 lol.
    We do get "We want Ziggler chants" but that's neither here nor there.

    This banner by ThisIsMayhem on deviant art. Google Image Search Movement

  15. #15
    Senior Member Vince Mcmahon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,776

    Default Re: Why not acknowledge the Punk chants?

    Quote Originally Posted by Burlap Sac View Post
    We do get "We want Ziggler chants" but that's neither here nor there.
    Ziggler is hardly even remembered as being a member on the roster as it is by the brass lol much less for the suits to acknowledge his chants. Remember he went on twitter saying his chants were edited out.
    Last edited by Vince Mcmahon; 03-25-2014 at 05:22 PM.
    Who is the boss? Who made wrestling? Who is sports entertainment?

    WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

  16. #16
    I'm chill like dat Im Coo Like Dat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    I stack like dat
    Posts
    1,233

    Default Re: Why not acknowledge the Punk chants?

    This is now the REALITY ERA. I say acknowledge the Punk chants. At the very least commentary could mention something about it. It comes off stupid when they acknowledge other chants and then sit their silently during Punk chants.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Vince Mcmahon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,776

    Default Re: Why not acknowledge the Punk chants?

    Quote Originally Posted by Im Coo Like Dat View Post
    This is now the REALITY ERA. I say acknowledge the Punk chants. At the very least commentary could mention something about it. It comes off stupid when they acknowledge other chants and then sit their silently during Punk chants.
    Ah I can go with this. You just reminded me how stupid it was ignoring Cena's heat during 2006-7. Commentators just looked dumb or just came off as insulting to the viewers.
    Who is the boss? Who made wrestling? Who is sports entertainment?

    WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

  18. #18
    Moderator Oncall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Age
    26
    Posts
    8,879

    Default Re: Why not acknowledge the Punk chants?

    Quote Originally Posted by Haynus_Aynus View Post
    Fair enough. But when I hear the fans chant for Punk I just want Triple H (or Stephanie even) to verbally smack them down and make them feel stupid. Particularly because I find the chants grating.
    I can see your point but all this would do is make the crowd chant his name louder and more often. It wouldn't be "Oh they acknowledged us, we can stop now" it'd be "OH MY GOD, THEY MENTIONED PUNK, THIS WHOLE THING IS A WORK, HE'S COMING BACK AT MANIA, CM PUNK! CM PUNK! CM PUNK!"





    Quote Originally Posted by The Miz
    I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am than love me for something i'm not
    Quote Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
    Reigns is more over than most people here are willing to admit.
    Episode 2 of "Sittin down for a chat with Oncall, with special guest EasyRider

  19. #19
    Senior Member ExOfEx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Calgary...Alberta...Canada
    Posts
    1,081

    Default Re: Why not acknowledge the Punk chants?

    If the crowd was chanting Punk's name and HHH or Stephanie stopped what they were doing and said something like, "Yeah, like he cares about the WWE Universe. He left you guys, we didn't fire him." Or something like that, something that would reflect back on Punk for leaving, making the fans question why they're chanting a guy's name that bailed on them.

    Somehow put the monkey on Punk's back for the fans' anger or make the fans feel dumb for cheering a guy that walks out on them.

  20. #20
    SAWFT Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Age
    25
    Posts
    9,448

    Default Re: Why not acknowledge the Punk chants?

    Quote Originally Posted by ExOfEx View Post
    If the crowd was chanting Punk's name and HHH or Stephanie stopped what they were doing and said something like, "Yeah, like he cares about the WWE Universe. He left you guys, we didn't fire him." Or something like that, something that would reflect back on Punk for leaving, making the fans question why they're chanting a guy's name that bailed on them.

    Somehow put the monkey on Punk's back for the fans' anger or make the fans feel dumb for cheering a guy that walks out on them.
    Like Oncall said, if you keep acknowledging it, they're gonna keep doing it thinking it's part of the story.

    Plus, you can't have Trips say that in the same promo where he's talking about how selfish Daniel Bryan is. That makes Punk the hero in all this by some reason. Look at the gymnastics people are doing to praise Punk even without them acknowledging it. If you have a heel come on TV and say "Punk left because he didn't care about you," even if that's true, it makes Punk not only part of the story, but the hero.

    "I like cake."

    Quote Originally Posted by MrAndersons Mic View Post
    Im posting my thoughts not for them to be debated or argued against. I would like for folks to understand and agree with my point of view while throwing dookie at the McMahons and laughing at it.

  21. #21
    Senior Member ExOfEx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Calgary...Alberta...Canada
    Posts
    1,081

    Default Re: Why not acknowledge the Punk chants?

    I don't know. WWE gets credited with "brainwashing" fans into seeing things their way on these forums.

    I don't think WWE is concerned with the Punk chants at all really. I think they'd like to have him back and they're set on not doing anything to ruin that on their part and they're in the position to just wait and see. I also think that like has been said so many times, "the show must go on" and they'll be fine with or without him.

  22. #22
    SAWFT Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Age
    25
    Posts
    9,448

    Default Re: Why not acknowledge the Punk chants?

    There's also a part of it that if he ever does come back, they can just pretend the whole thing never happened. They absolutely buried Austin when he left and it led to bad blood between Austin and the company, and hurt Austin's status as a draw.

    "I like cake."

    Quote Originally Posted by MrAndersons Mic View Post
    Im posting my thoughts not for them to be debated or argued against. I would like for folks to understand and agree with my point of view while throwing dookie at the McMahons and laughing at it.

  23. #23
    Senior Member ExOfEx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Calgary...Alberta...Canada
    Posts
    1,081

    Default Re: Why not acknowledge the Punk chants?

    I totally agree with that and referred to it in my previous post.

  24. #24
    Front heel kick Leper Messiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    26
    Posts
    5,589

    Default Re: Why not acknowledge the Punk chants?

    Quote Originally Posted by Im Coo Like Dat View Post
    This is now the REALITY ERA. I say acknowledge the Punk chants. At the very least commentary could mention something about it. It comes off stupid when they acknowledge other chants and then sit their silently during Punk chants.
    Didn't,the commentators acknowledge them a few weeks ago, when the chants started up? I could have swore Cole said something about them at one point during Raw a few weeks ago.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •