Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something I have wondered my entire life as a fan....

Default Something I have wondered my entire life as a fan....

When some dastardly heel thing is going on, like last night, none of the "good guys" or heroes come to help. I get last night kind of was a "you may be fired" thing, but I'm talking about in history. Especially w/ a guy like John Cena in the locker room. It's just something that has always bothered me.

This banner by ThisIsMayhem on deviant art. Google Image Search Movement

Default Re: Something I have wondered my entire life as a fan....

Because wrestlers are generally selfish people even when they're "good guys"? I mean, obviouslyfaces never come to the aid of other faces because it would eliminate the heel's ability to seem even more heelish: the face is cut off and alone. Having the faces actually band together would destroy that illusion of the heel's power.

It's stupid and makes no sense from a real-world perspective. But you can't have faces get involved in each other's business a lot of the time because otherwise it would undermine the bad guys if it happened all the time. It's good to keep that sort of thing rare, such as when the Usos saved the Rhodes Brothers on SmackDown last week.

The Silver-Tongued Devil versus The Ginger King
    PW WrestleMania XI

All that makes sense and I agree. I guess it's one of those things that you just have to ignore and just let it entertain you.

I always thought that if every face came down to help when one of their own was being attacked that the logical progression is all the heels come down and it'd always end up boiling down to everyone vs everyone on a weekly basis.

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz
    I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am than love me for something i'm not
    Quote Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
    Reigns is more over than most people here are willing to admit.
    Episode 4 of "Sittin down for a chat with Oncall" with special guest MachoWarrior

Send me a list of your top 25 seasons of television, deadline is after Raw finishes on the 24th

John Cena was too busy playing with his plastic girlfriend to come help Bryan.

They've had guys help out plenty of times. It's just one of those things like the 30 day title defense rule, it only comes up when they feel like it.

Its selective. Sometimes, Cena will come out to help during a face receiving a beatdown. Other time, he'll ignore what's going on, lol.
    It's showtime, folks!

Who is Cena to play God though?

Flowers gathered in the morning,
    Afternoon they blossom on,
    Still are withered by the evening:
    You can be me when I'm gone.

The funniest thing is that immediately after Bryan was wheeled to the back, Cena's music played, for him to come out for the dark match. And I mean immediately.

The jabroni banning, troll canning, thread locking, always shocking. See a
    troll, don't worry I got him. Right after giving his candy ass a Lock Bottom.

@thepwforum

Yeah, as good as it was, the beatdown of Bryan lasted way too long for someone not to come to his aid in reality. It's just one of those things.

tis not right in the head whocares's Avatar

Well, isn't wrestling in kayfab supposed to be mostly an individual competitive sport? So, doesn't it make less sense for guys to help each other out? I mean, what do you gain from doing that? Aside from an ally that will lead you into a feud that has almost nothing to do with the main Title... and then he or she will inevitably turn on you just because you forgot to give him or her a high five that one time... and also because he or she is tired of carrying you... It happens all the time! That's why John Cena doesn't help anyone and just tells them to man-up. Man-up, people! Man-up!

MO to the G to the UNS! BadNewsFan's Avatar

Even if I can deal with the fact that none of the guys came out to help Bryan, (which still doesn't make sense kayfabe wise), I can't get over the fact that his fucking Fiance didn't lift a finger to try to stop what was happening, even while HHH's wife was slapping her handcuffed future husband silly.

I mean, man even Miss Elizabeth used to come out to try to stop a Macho Man beating, and she never even tried to wrestle, Brie is a former Diva's champion and she couldn't come step up to Stephanie?

Shout out to Bender for the Bad Ass Bad News Banner!

Quote Originally Posted by BadNewsFan View Post
    Even if I can deal with the fact that none of the guys came out to help Bryan, (which still doesn't make sense kayfabe wise), I can't get over the fact that his fucking Fiance didn't lift a finger to try to stop what was happening, even while HHH's wife was slapping her handcuffed future husband silly.

I mean, man even Miss Elizabeth used to come out to try to stop a Macho Man beating, and she never even tried to wrestle, Brie is a former Diva's champion and she couldn't come step up to Stephanie?
    It doesn't make kayfabe sense that some of the guys in the back wouldn't want to risk getting fired?

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz
    I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am than love me for something i'm not
    Quote Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
    Reigns is more over than most people here are willing to admit.
    Episode 4 of "Sittin down for a chat with Oncall" with special guest MachoWarrior

Send me a list of your top 25 seasons of television, deadline is after Raw finishes on the 24th

Quote Originally Posted by Oncall View Post
    It doesn't make kayfabe sense that some of the guys in the back wouldn't want to risk getting fired?
    A guy like Cena would have Zero chance of being fired, even in Kayfabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Oncall View Post
    I was coming to basically post this. They didn't come out and help Bryan because they would most likely lose their jobs (kayfabe).

For this segment, sure, it may be a don't want to be fired thing. But for the majority of beatdowns and such, I don't think it needs to be anything kayfabe. We all know it's scripted, and for anything scripted, we must sometimes suspend disbelief. For me, it's the same reason why the rest of the Avengers don't show up to help in the individual Marvel movies. Everyone has their own business to deal with, and everyone needs to be able to have their own time to shine/falter. I don't need Thor showing up in an Iron Man movie, because I want to believe that Iron Man can handle his challenges on his own. On that same thought process, I don't want Cena showing up in Bryan's segments, because I want Bryan to take on the Authority and prevail alone. Also, because the less Cena, the happier TGO.

The jabroni banning, troll canning, thread locking, always shocking. See a
    troll, don't worry I got him. Right after giving his candy ass a Lock Bottom.

@thepwforum

I was really hoping The Shield would make the save. They mentioned him earlier in the night and said they always do what's best for business. Well, HHH trying to maim the company's most beloved wrestler certainly isn't best for business, so where were they? Would've added to the Shield vs The Authority angle they're doing with Kane, and would've been a huge moment for The Shield. I think it would've been great for them if they plan on giving their face run a decent amount of time. But if they plan on breaking them up soon after Mania, I can see why they didn't do it.

For a second there I too thought that the Shield might make the save.

I'm chill like dat Im Coo Like Dat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BadNewsFan View Post
    For a second there I too thought that the Shield might make the save.
    This would have been cool, especially if The Shield didn't even have to lay a finger on HHH. Could also be incentive for The Authority to put The Shield in a WrestleMania match.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrose Mark View Post
    I was really hoping The Shield would make the save. They mentioned him earlier in the night and said they always do what's best for business. Well, HHH trying to maim the company's most beloved wrestler certainly isn't best for business, so where were they? Would've added to the Shield vs The Authority angle they're doing with Kane, and would've been a huge moment for The Shield. I think it would've been great for them if they plan on giving their face run a decent amount of time. But if they plan on breaking them up soon after Mania, I can see why they didn't do it.
    Shield might even be more of a mishap of not showing up than Cena, if they are centered around Justice, they missed the boat on that one last night kayfabe wise.

nobody made the save because they wanted you to feel sorry for Daniel bryan. People coming out to rescue him would of negated that a bit.

I rationalize it by thinking that the guys in the back aren't always glued to the TV monitors and seeing what's going on. Maybe they're in the bathroom, warming up for their match, etc.

Punk also tried to rationalize it in a backstage segment, saying guys like Bryan want to stand on their own and don't want help. Foolish pride, as Bray Wyatt would say.

I agree with this and you can rationalize it as when they've had their match or promo, they leave.

Quote Originally Posted by DC The Champ View Post
    Because wrestlers are generally selfish people even when they're "good guys"? I mean, obviouslyfaces never come to the aid of other faces because it would eliminate the heel's ability to seem even more heelish: the face is cut off and alone. Having the faces actually band together would destroy that illusion of the heel's power.

It's stupid and makes no sense from a real-world perspective. But you can't have faces get involved in each other's business a lot of the time because otherwise it would undermine the bad guys if it happened all the time. It's good to keep that sort of thing rare, such as when the Usos saved the Rhodes Brothers on SmackDown last week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burlap Sac View Post
    All that makes sense and I agree. I guess it's one of those things that you just have to ignore and just let it entertain you.
    It makes sense in a real world perspective though, especially now. How many times do you see videos of bullies picking on someone and others just stand by recording it? Other people who in other times could/would help out if it werent for the fact that they want to see what happens.

Credit to Bender for the awesome sig and av.
    Spoiler

There's a difference between kids who feel powerless to help and guys whose business is to beat each other up, though. I'm not disagreeing entirely (the bystander effect is a well-known psychological phenomenon), but they interfere often enough that it nullifies the bystander effect argument, in my opinion.

The Silver-Tongued Devil versus The Ginger King
    PW WrestleMania XI

Thread Information