Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrestlers happier when they leave WWE

Default Wrestlers happier when they leave WWE

Is it just me or do the wrestlers who recently left the WWE seem happier when they are gone? Apparently cm punk looked great and healthy on the talking dead show? It got me thinking about guys like Maria kanellis, Punk, john Morrison, and Kelly Kelly and other wrestler who have left seemed to be in no hurry to get back to the WWE even though the door is wide open. Is the locker room that bad?

Default Re: Wrestlers happier when they leave WWE

From what I see, that can be said for just about any demanding business. They eventually miss certain aspects about the job. The energy from the crowd, seeing new things, the fans, the money, etc. But it's hard to miss sleepless nights, appearance after appearance, getting banged up, the schedule, the traveling, politics like with any business, etc.

It's kind of a love hate relationship with demanding businesses. In order to achieve the kind of exposure, that rush and greatness they want, they have to go through the rigors of the business.

Guys like CM Punk worked hard and enjoyed the good parts. Worked hard to get to the top and be known. The opportunity came and he ran with it. But at some point, once you've reached a pinnacle, not everyone wants to be Hogan or Cena. Not everyone is treated equal. Triple H calls it taking your ball and going home when it gets tough, which may be true. But not every superstar is looking for the same thing.

I think it's more of a relief after the rigors. But I doubt that means they hated the business. But after receiving exposure, saving money and looking into other ventures, they realize there's more for them. Someone like John Morrison probably never wanted to be a Triple H and REALLY stay in the business. Heck even Shane didn't want to stay in the business as he had other interest to become his own man. Some superstars are meant to be Hogan, Cena, Taker, HBK, Triple H, etc. Some are meant to be there for a short period of time, fill the card, entertain the crowd, and move on.

I doubt CM Punk is COMPLETELY done, but my personal belief is that the rigors of the business and certain politics pushed him over an edge to walk out. I don't lose respect for him and don't see him as weak. Just another human being who simply needed a break. Stone Cold Steve Austin did it and related to it best…he said that for him and probably CM Punk, things just got hectic, he wasn't feeling the business and needed to just go away for a little bit.

Im sure they are. Its probably a pretty brutal life unless you have a gig like Cena/Hogan/Rock/Austin's/Lesnar's

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Im sure they are. Its probably a pretty brutal life unless you have a gig like Cena/Hogan/Rock/Austin's/Lesnar's
    What are you talking about? Cena probably has it worse than anybody else in the locker room given who he is and what he does for the company. He's the hardest working guy in the company.

Believe in the Shield. Lilslimshady's Avatar

Here's the deal: You guys hit the nail on the head. Even as a fan, I enjoy pro-wrestling and it was my first love for over 15 years. Triple H has always said that the pro-wrestling business is very demanding and tends to be all-consuming. As a fan, I have even felt that and need to have other hobbies and things to enjoy/talk about so wrestling doesn't just take my entire life. Imagine that 10 times more for the pro-wrestler. I love professional wrestling and have for a while, but I enjoy talking about other TV shows, movies, music, etc. I enjoy watching stand up comedy. I also enjoy watching sports, and talking about other things like animals, the news, gay rights, science, history, etc. So when a wrestler finally gets to leave the business, he will probably always love it and care about it, but they have to develop other hobbies to relax themselves as pro-wrestling especially as a job is very demanding. Guys and girls that only breathe, eat, sleep pro-wrestling...that works for a couple years, but then if you stay that way, you will go insane and never truly grow as a person. Wrestling is awesome and I love it, but it's great to see a lot of these guys dipping their feet into other hobbies and interests.

Quote Originally Posted by whocares View Post
    What are you talking about? Cena probably has it worse than anybody else in the locker room given who he is and what he does for the company. He's the hardest working guy in the company.
    That's what I was about to say.

And I certainly don't know how he was included with a bunch of guys who have pretty open schedules and a lot more free time. If anything Cena's name should be replaced with Takers.

Someday he's going to get to that point though and it will be well deserved.
    -Bender-

2013 Sports Empire Most Valuable Poster
    2012 & 2013 Gridiron Poster of the Year

I think today's wrestlers are more educated and informed about how to make more for themselves outside of the ring compared to wrestlers who were in the ring 10, 20, or 30 years ago.

There is more exposure for today's wrestlers to promote themselves.

So I like most people hate to see talent leave the ring; however, I prefer to see a wrestler leave while they can still walk without a cane or the use of some other device. So they can enjoy their lives with family and friends.

Quote Originally Posted by whocares View Post

The guy is making probably 20 mil a year or better, hotel, limo, private plans with far better accommodations, and isn't gonna get shoved back down the card ever. How would he have it the "worst" exactly. The guy is set for life. ROFLMAO. EVERYONE works hard in that company being on the road and doing appearances all the time. Just some people work hard and they don't get shit, while others works hard and get everything.

I hate that "Cena works the hardest excuse". Like no one else in the company would if they were given the opportunity?

Ask anyone who wants to get in the business and ask who they would want to be with who's schedule, I bet 99 percent of them say they would want Cena's gig over anyone else's (Except maybe Lesnar's gig)

Its a matter of getting the opportunity to be in that spot. And as Long as Cena's around I doubt they will make someone else the "flagship" so to speak. Despite the fact Im sure there are some that could if given the push, opportunity, and office behind them. You mean to tell me no one would jump at Cena's position if given the opportunity?
    Last edited by Moses; 03-18-2014 at 07:43 PM.

There's a reason why Cena makes that kind of money. Its not just about working hard, Cena has a lot of other things going for him as well. If it was that easy, there would be many more Cenas. If the WWE saw an opportunity to turn one of their guys into another Cena, I highly doubt they would pass on it. There may be guys who work just as hard if not harder than Cena, but they probably don't have much else. I'd like to think that being a jobber like Curt Hawkins is way easier than being Cena. Yeah, you get way less money and recognition but you don't have to do all the promo work for the company. Cena probably has to make multiple flights per day for appearances and what not and he still needs to stay in shape on top of all that. And I'm sure many people would love to be in Cena's spot for the short term, but will they be able to sustain it without getting burnt out too fast?

The guy is making probably 20 mil a year or better,
    Not that its relevant to the topic, but holy shit, does he seriously earn that much money per year?

Just trying to comprehend what Cenas schedule would be like on a day to day basis exhausts me, let alone actually living it. He might have the money, property and cars associated with a life of luxury but there's no feasible way for him to enjoy it unless he's recovering from an injury, doesn't exactly sound enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz
    I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am than love me for something i'm not
    Quote Originally Posted by Oncall's brain
    There is no conspiracy, WWE isn't burying Ambrose
    Episode 5 of "Sittin down for a chat with Oncall" with special guest BigRed

The countdown has begun, see where your favourite season landed

Is the locker room that bad?
    Its not the locker room. Its Vince and his company wanting to be involved in everything the talent does outside of the ring. Look at Chris Jericho. One of the reasons he left was so he could focus on Fozzy and his other projects. He had a hard time being able to do that due to WWE being too controlling on his schedule.

For Punk this is his first break from wrestling since 2001. Punk would work hurt, never took personal time off and went from IWA to TNA to RoH to WWE without breaks. Hell even fracturing his skull did not sideline him from long. Give Punk a year, he will get bored and you will see him back in WWE happy as shit. Before Punk left he was complaining about being sick with something that went on months on end.

Truth is, a lot of other guys get off the road, relax and stop taking so many drugs and start to look healthier.

Flowers gathered in the morning,
    Afternoon they blossom on,
    Still are withered by the evening:
    You can be me when I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Oncall View Post
    Just trying to comprehend what Cenas schedule would be like on a day to day basis exhausts me, let alone actually living it. He might have the money, property and cars associated with a life of luxury but there's no feasible way for him to enjoy it unless he's recovering from an injury, doesn't exactly sound enjoyable.
    Everyone I talk to that has talked with Cena beyond quick exchanges at signings say he is the real deal. He LOVES wrestling and loves WWE. That is why he does what he does. And not everyone would do it. We seen people given the chance over the years and fail. Not many people are willing to work almost every waking moment of the day. Look at Cena and Make a Wish Foundation. He did his 400th wish this year in feb. He did his 300th wish in June of 2013. 7 months he visited nearly 100 children. That is not talent, that is dedication. He granted over 100 more wishes than anyone else in Make A Wish history, and he has been famous for a brief moment compared to many. Only 5 other people have done over 200 wishes.

Flowers gathered in the morning,
    Afternoon they blossom on,
    Still are withered by the evening:
    You can be me when I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Engel View Post
    Everyone I talk to that has talked with Cena beyond quick exchanges at signings say he is the real deal. He LOVES wrestling and loves WWE. That is why he does what he does. And not everyone would do it. We seen people given the chance over the years and fail. Not many people are willing to work almost every waking moment of the day. Look at Cena and Make a Wish Foundation. He did his 400th wish this year in feb. He did his 300th wish in June of 2013. 7 months he visited nearly 100 children. That is not talent, that is dedication. He granted over 100 more wishes than anyone else in Make A Wish history, and he has been famous for a brief moment compared to many. Only 5 other people have done over 200 wishes.
    Let's just hope that after he retires, he can look back and have no regrets. Will his sacrifices be worth it in the end?

Hell, I believe there are even guys in the WWE that don't even want to be John Cena because of all the responsibilities he has being the face of the company. I may not like the guy's TV persona... but I do understand he deserves a shitload of respect for everything he does for the WWE and his fans.

It probably depends on the circumstances of the departure if a wrestler is looking happier. A lot of people leaving WWE have already got their feet wet doing something else while they were in WWE...many times getting an opportunity to do something else because of their status of being a WWE Superstar. For example I'll use Morrison, I think he found the comedy thing so easy to jump to because WWE had given him a platform with that web show he had with Miz. How many Divas have had photo shoots in magazines or something because of WWE? I think they get a taste for something else and go for it when they can. I'm sure not everyone falls in that category, but I think WWE has actually made it easy for some of their own talent to find new things.

Quote Originally Posted by Weezl View Post
    Not that its relevant to the topic, but holy shit, does he seriously earn that much money per year?

thats what I have heard with factoring in merchandise sales

Let's just hope that after he retires, he can look back and have no regrets. Will his sacrifices be worth it in the end?
    dude got to make out with AJ while sleeping with Nikki Bella. NO REGRETS!

BELIEVE IN AMBROSE
    THE BEST NEWS IS BAD NEWS
    Cena fan for LIFE

banner by, Dj LatinoHeat

Not for nothing, but in 2013 Cena earned over 100 mil for WWE. Him making 20 mil isn't that far fetched. That being said, the guy works his ass off. And on top of the work, look at the charity he does. Over 450 make a wishes granted? That's insane. The guy has granted more than any celebrity in history. TV appearances, ads, movies, any other spots he does. Oh, and that whole wrestle every week a few times. No one on that roster compares with the amount of work he does, except maybe Hunter. Except he doesn't have to do the wrestling part much and in a few months he'll be off TV again for who knows how long. But according to an interview, he still puts in 16-18 hour days while raising a family.
    [I]
    Taker, one of the greatest Legends in History
    Forever A Warrior
    Shout out to Bender for the Sig.

Quote Originally Posted by StunVKMcmahon View Post
    Not for nothing, but in 2013 Cena earned over 100 mil for WWE. Him making 20 mil isn't that far fetched. .
    According to a few reports online, Cena made 2, 750, 000 from the WWE, and gets a 6.25% from all the merchandise he sells.

If those reports are true, then 2.75 million is a lot less than 20 million.

According to a few reports online, Cena made 2, 750, 000 from the WWE, and gets a 6.25% from all the merchandise he sells.

If those reports are true, then 2.75 million is a lot less than 20 million.
    Are you including tv appearances, sponsors, royalties, etc.?

Avatar credit: HAYZE Banner credit: Bender

Quote Originally Posted by Dionio View Post
    Are you including tv appearances, sponsors, royalties, etc.?
    Specifically WWE earnings. After you add sponsors, commercials, etc to the equation; his earnings would have to be around 12 or 13 million. If the government didn't tax him, he'd be pocketing around 20 or 30 million.
    Last edited by Weezl; 03-19-2014 at 02:51 AM.

Moderately Moderating Michinokudriver's Avatar

The guy is making probably 20 mil a year or better, hotel, limo, private plans with far better accommodations, and isn't gonna get shoved back down the card ever. How would he have it the "worst" exactly. The guy is set for life. ROFLMAO. EVERYONE works hard in that company being on the road and doing appearances all the time. Just some people work hard and they don't get shit, while others works hard and get everything.

I hate that "Cena works the hardest excuse". Like no one else in the company would if they were given the opportunity?

Ask anyone who wants to get in the business and ask who they would want to be with who's schedule, I bet 99 percent of them say they would want Cena's gig over anyone else's (Except maybe Lesnar's gig)

Its a matter of getting the opportunity to be in that spot. And as Long as Cena's around I doubt they will make someone else the "flagship" so to speak. Despite the fact Im sure there are some that could if given the push, opportunity, and office behind them. You mean to tell me no one would jump at Cena's position if given the opportunity?
    There was a story within the past, I wanna say six months, where Cena worked a Monday Night Raw on the east coast, flew out to the west coast for a talk show appearance to promote something or other, and then flew right back to the east coast for the Smackdown taping. (This is, I assume, in addition to the house show circuit.) So it's not that other wrestlers don't work hard or that other wrestlers don't have a rough travel schedule, it's that Cena does what they do and more. (I agree with you that other wrestlers would love to be in Cena's spot and wouldn't mind having to put in more hours on the clock -- it's just that Cena's schedule is insane.)

Nominee: PW's Most Knowledgeable Poster, 2006
    Co-winner: PW's Most Knowledgeable Nerd, 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Gatorraider21 View Post
    Is it just me or do the wrestlers who recently left the WWE seem happier when they are gone? Apparently cm punk looked great and healthy on the talking dead show? It got me thinking about guys like Maria kanellis, Punk, john Morrison, and Kelly Kelly and other wrestler who have left seemed to be in no hurry to get back to the WWE even though the door is wide open. Is the locker room that bad?
    Seems like it's quite the opposite with Maria, she has been quite bitter since leaving the company and wants nothing more than to return, but WWE does not want her back now.

surrender

Thread Information