Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Do You Feel About Undertaker Just Being 'The Streak'?

Nothing better to see? MexicanMike's Avatar

Default How Do You Feel About Undertaker Just Being 'The Streak'?

I was having a conversation with Red and Champ about this and I think it's part of the reason why my interest in Taker has waned significantly. It seems to me that 'The Streak' is all that he is. It's a very lazy way to book a match. It's Lesnar vs. The Streak. Undertaker seemingly doesn't exist as his own character anymore with his own intentions and own thought process. All he is now is the streak and I think it's incredibly boring, especially because Taker is a great character with a lot of history and ability. 'The Streak' Taker, though, is incredibly boring.

Am I on the outside here or is there a general agreement over this?

Default Re: How Do You Feel About Undertaker Just Being 'The Streak'?

This is why the streak can't end. Ever. If it did then he's... nothing.

No I agree with you and have also voiced my opinion on it numerous times. There is nothing to the undertaker now but the streak and it's a damn shame because he used to be so much more than that.

And his feud with brock lesnar so far has been EXACTLY what I thought it would be. Heyman coming out cutting promos on the streak and how lesnar is going to end it. It is so shallow, so predictable, and boring. I absolutely hate this streak shit.

Undertaker could be more. I hate to say this, but ... Triple H and Undertaker told a good story with the "it's time to hang it up" business, and then with Taker chasing Hunter the following year. It really made for a different dynamic.

The problem isn't that "the streak is all Taker has left." If used creatively, that's actually a very compelling trait with a lot of storyline potential to play off of. Randy Orton made the streak important. Shawn Michaels made breaking the streak something so personally significant that he put his career on the line. Those were great stories centered around the streak. It's doable. But not if you're just focusing on "I'm going to break the streak, hur hur hur."

The problem is using that as a crutch to support a storyline that could be so much more. It's WWE's lazy writing that is (as always) the problem.

The Silver-Tongued Devil versus The Ginger King
    PW WrestleMania XI

I love it. I'm a realist and know Taker is near the end, cant wrestle all year long so like I said many years ago...I'd be totally fine with him as a once a year attraction, sort of like how Andre was.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKliq View Post
    No I agree with you and have also voiced my opinion on it numerous times. There is nothing to the undertaker now but the streak and it's a damn shame because he used to be so much more than that.

And his feud with brock lesnar so far has been EXACTLY what I thought it would be. Heyman coming out cutting promos on the streak and how lesnar is going to end it. It is so shallow, so predictable, and boring. I absolutely hate this streak shit.
    my thoughts as well,I was fine for a year or two with "The Streak" angle and with Taker coming back just to defend it,but now nearly four year of him being a "Wrestlemania Only" wrestler that defends the streak has gotten extremely boring.All of his feuds are now the same,whomever he's facing cuts a promo,then he cuts a promo,theirs a brawl and then theirs a super predictable match(that are always good in terms of the in ring quality) and Taker wins and disappears again for another nine to ten months and just repeats the same angle over again.

I am a huge Undertaker fan but if he's really only going to wrestle once a year and due the same angle over and over again with the same outcome I would rather he just retires.I really hope that a next years Wrestlemania he either faces Cena,Sting in a "Dream Match" with a better build then in the past years or something total fresh like a feud with Bray Wyatt were he gets into Takers head and makes him look human for once i.e goes after his true family in McCool and his kids.

Well they can easily build more story into this feud by peppering in the UFC stare down route. I know it's taboo around here for some bizarre reason, but mentioning that plus their previous encounters can help build interest in this storyline for people who aren't satisfied on the streak alone.

Knows he isn't welcome

I hate it, I hate how for years people on the internet made it feel like The Streak is Undertaker's whole legacy, without any of his other accomplishments or stories existing alongside it.

I hate how WWE embraced this idea and fully implemented since the HHH saga, just another reason for me not to enjoy those two years of crap.

It's probably the biggest reason behind my desire for the damn thing to be broken already.

I think of Undertaker as the streak, sure, because that is where he is at in his career. However I will never forget HITC with Foley, HITC with HBK, Summerslam vs. Bret, beating Hogan for the title etc. There is lots to Taker. I think the fact that he still can put on the best match of the night at the biggest PPV of the year speaks volumes about his experience, knowledge, and his ability to work with a variety of opponents.

Thanks JV for the artwork!!

I blame WWE for whitewashing Undertaker's legacy as a top talent more than him staying around for the Streak.

WWE is constantly out to make big "moments" that they have a tendency to end up superseding its own storied history.

YOU WILL COMPLY.

Spoiler

I don't see the problem.

If he was just showing up every month and being The Undertaker, the unstoppable force, then he would be "holding talent down" and everyone would be begging for him to get off the TV. Then if he was losing to everyone, it just wouldn't make sense since he is the fucking Undertaker. That is the point. He is the fucking Undertaker who has went to hell in battles throughout his career that it is OKAY for him to just show up and steal the show at Mania. End of story.
    - Credit to JV.
    THE KWF

"No WWE talent becomes a legend on their own. Every man's heart one day beats its final beat; his lungs breathe their final breath. And if what that man did in his life makes the blood pulse through the body of others and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory."

RIP WARRIOR

Greatest Champion Ever The Champ's Avatar

I think they've started to go on the premise that these matches sell themselves, and so they think they don't really have to try.

The Triple H builds sucked both years (although the matches were great) and, although we still have two weeks, the Taker/Lesnar "build" certainly hasn't wowed anyone as of yet.

The Paul Bearer thing got dumped into their lap last year, and although I certainly did not enjoy it, it worked pretty well. But it's telling that they chose the easy route there, rather than attempting to build a layered story.

Honestly though, I don't mind so much because the matches have consistently lived up to the hype, and I don't expect that to change this year.

HAYZE

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Heyman
    My client, Brock Lesnar, conquered the Streak.
    This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

The undertaker is not just the streak.
    The guy is a legend. He won't be just be remembered as the guy with the streak.
    He will be remembered for his very long and successful career.
    He wrestled full time as a wrestler in the wwe for twenty years.
    He had a lot of great feuds and a lot of great matches.
    So the point am making is. The undertaker is not just the guy with the streak.

Since UT can't wrestle as much anymore it comes across as the guy with a streak.

Thanks Bender

Beat The Streak is what makes it fun as long as he does lose in the end.
    It's showtime, folks!

Anyone who sees Undertaker as "just The Streak" has a shallow basis for a viewpoint. Try changing the perspective. He could be viewed as the Hell in a Cell guy or the Buried Alive guy or the Casket Match guy too, but that would limit the viewpoint of him as well. I see The Streak as a way to extend his career and the one thing that will be his hallmark. Hogan has Hulkamania, Flair has the 16 titles, Taker has The Streak.

Undertaker's career speaks for itself and simply viewing him as "just The Streak" is a lazy way to describe him.

Quote Originally Posted by ExOfEx View Post
    Anyone who sees Undertaker as "just The Streak" has a shallow basis for a view Try changing the perspective. He could be viewed as the Hell in a Cell guy or the Buried Alive guy or the Casket Match guy too, but that would limit the viewpoint of him as well. I see The Streak as a way to extend his career and the one thing that will be his hallmark. Hogan has Hulkamania, Flair has the 16 titles, Taker has The Streak.

Undertaker's career speaks for itself and simply viewing him as "just The Streak" is a lazy way to describe him.
    Absolutely. The Streak is just Taker on the back end of his career. If you disregard the first couple DECADES, than that is your own fault, not his or the WWE's. All that means is you are unwilling to think past 22 matches to the entire rest of his matches and feuds. You as a fan are disregarding the Brothers of Destruction, The multiple title reigns, his ENTIRE badass gimmick, HIAC, Inferno, Buried alive, Casket, Hearse matches. As a matter of fact, in that regard, you are also disregarding every opponent he ever faces save 22. 23 including this year.
    WWE and Taker are givingus a spectacle each year involvingone of the greatest superstars in history. Taker is able to extend his career and entertain us longer than he could have otherwise without this angle. It isn't he or tue WWE that chooses to remember the streak as all he is. It's you. The fan that chooses what you do and don't remember about him.
    If you want to talk singularly about matches and stories, that is an entirely different conversation. But in regards to this entire line of thought, I will CHOOSE to only remember that it was ridiculous.
    [I]
    Taker, one of the greatest Legends in History
    Forever A Warrior
    Shout out to Bender for the Sig.

I think they've just gotten lazy with Taker, assuming The Streak alone is good enough. It should always be someone who could legitimately end it. If Punk had kept the title and done a Streak vs Streak title match that would have been crazy last year. And even if he'd won it, Taker went on to wrestle a few matches after Mania last year, one could have been a rematch with Punk winning it back thanks to The Shield.

Lesnar is a terrible fit because there is absolutely no way Lesnar wins. It should have either been John Cena or Bray Wyatt, and if he continues next year it should be one of the two. Taker's career should end in an epic battle with a great build, not fizzle out beating another part timer.

Personally, Bray Wyatt vs The Undertaker at Wrestlemania 31 in a Buried Alive Match would be the perfect ending to his career. The way Bray is killing it right now, his character, youth, etc. He would be the perfect man to end The Streak and for Taker to put over, especially if Bray continues his own Streak if he were to beat Cena this year. Of course, Taker could just as easily win the match and ride off into the sunset, but there needs to be the threat of a loss for it to be interesting. Bray's character could take some time off and 'resurrect' afterwards. Bray Wyatt could sell a match with Yoshi Tatsu as if the fate of mankind hung in the balance, so I'm confident he would not disappoint.

I'm really hoping they tease this match at Wrestlemania, as Taker has been coming to Cena's aid as of late to fend off The Family. The gong hits at some point during the match, maybe the lights go out, Cena gets distracted and Bray picks up the win. The announcers put over the fact that Wyatt has no fear and didn't flinch when he heard Taker's gong, while Cena let it cost him the match. That could also tease Cena vs Taker, giving them options and leaving the fans guessing.

And even though the hype may not be that great (although I loved Taker stabbing Brock with a pen and slamming him through a table), I can't imagine yet paying for a Wrestlemania without a Taker match.

I don't think anyone is saying taker's entire career has been nothing but his streak.. I think we are saying his career is NOW nothing but the streak..

They whore that shit out and think they don't have to put in any extra work to his buildup because it can sell itself.. Which maybe it can but it still bores me to death watching his opponents have to carry him on the mic everyear basically all rehashing the same thing (because it's all they can really say)..

Poor Paul heyman.. He is doing the best he can on the mic but there really is only so much he can do..

I have a feeling that if the rumor is correct and Sting did actually sign, they will hint at that being next year's streak match. I'm kinda getting the feeling Taker is gonna do 25-0, possibly 24-1 with the right opponent, before he retires. Sting, Cena, and perhaps Wyatt if he's still the man he is now. That'll give him 3 years to become truly established as the future of WWE. I can't see Taker willing to lose the streak to anyone who hasn't proven they are worth that honor, and he has said in the pat that he will keep going until the streak is broken. Taker legit wants it to be ended, but to the right guy. If I can find the interview, I'll post it.
    [I]
    Forever A Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by TheKliq View Post
    I don't think anyone is saying taker's entire career has been nothing but his streak.. I think we are saying his career is NOW nothing but the streak..

They whore that shit out and think they don't have to put in any extra work to his buildup because it can sell itself.. Which maybe it can but it still bores me to death watching his opponents have to carry him on the mic everyear basically all rehashing the same thing (because it's all they can really say)..

Poor Paul heyman.. He is doing the best he can on the mic but there really is only so much he can do..
    Which match was it where Taker "cut off his own hair" and stalked HHH? I liked the approach they took with that.

Check out Main Event, then say Taker can't carry himself on the stick any longer.
    [I]
    Forever A Warrior

Knows he isn't welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmania View Post
    Which match was it where Taker "cut off his own hair" and stalked HHH? I liked the approach they took with that.
    The one where everybody in kayfabe was acting like Taker had actually lost the previous year to HHH, even though he did not...

You know what, I changed my mind, I'll take simple Streak matches, please.

Quote Originally Posted by StunVKMcmahon View Post
    Check out Main Event, then say Taker can't carry himself on the stick any longer.
    um that was extremely average mic work at best lol.

BUt anyways his hair looks so stupid, he looks like frieza or some stupid DBZ character. Although his body looks great for his age. I have no doubt he will be able to perform at wrestlemania. The question is will he be able to get me to care. Him and Brock have a chance too next week on raw.

Thread Information