Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Daniel Bryan on the Microphone

Default Daniel Bryan on the Microphone

I've seen some discussions floating around elsewhere that Daniel Bryan is perhaps only average on the microphone.

Here at PW, the majority of the discussion seems focused on where Daniel Bryan as a wrestler is headed with regards to his booking. The rest is delegated to his amazing in-ring skills that even the biggest detractor of his has to recognize, I would imagine.

Where does his mic skills fall for you, though? Is he just average? Is he better than average? Hell, is he below average?

In those aforementioned discussions, I've see him associated with the Bob Backlund types where he's great in the ring, but not expected to rip it up on the microphone.

I'll say this much: I HATE that gee golly thing Daniel Bryan does when cutting a promo. Where he's smiling and just seems like all of this is still surreal to him or something -- like he's not meant to be there. I get the different levels wrestlers can jump between with respect to joking around and seriousness, but the gee golly bit doesn't cut it for me.

With that said, when DB does turn it on and gets intense, as he did with HHH this past week on Raw, then he's money; he shows that flash of brilliance on the stick.

If DB can find a way to take it to that next level on the microphone and I absolutely believe he can, then I can see the next few weeks going into 'Mania being huge for him. There isn't a single doubt in my mind that DB can hang with HHH in these segments, an all-time great on the microphone in my view.

He is the total package and relegating him to Backlund status (with all due respect to him) does DB a disservice.

Default Re: Daniel Bryan on the Microphone

That was one of his big weak areas in the indy's that most thought would prevent him from being successful, or even making it to the E. But you compare his NXT promos to his stuff today, he's improved greatly. He was below average back then. He quickly learned how to be average. Is he above average yet? Probably not, but he's obviously more comfortable when he talks now, and when he becomes confident enough to start ad libbing some stuff, he'll become above average. By the end of the year he should get there.

It would help if he wasn't always asked to give the standard long WWE babyface promo, containing plenty of smiling, sarcasm and gay jokes, as he did almost every week in his top face run against Orton/Authority last year.

Sticking to the type of promo he can cut effectively, as per Mondays' RAW, would be far more useful.

Play to strengths, hide weaknesses. Not difficult.

2012 TBG Poster of the Year!

How do we know he's asked to do that?

MO to the G to the UNS! BadNewsFan's Avatar

Yeah, I'll admit that even though I've been really vocal about my support of Brayn, I've never been too impressed with his Mic skills.

I think he's average at times on the mic, and sometimes a little below average.

I guess that just speaks to his greatness in the ring, because he's soooo good in the ring he can make you completely forget that his mic skills are lacking so much.

With that said, I do believe he's shown great potential in the past...his best promo IMO was his face to face with John Cena before SummerSlam.

There he was intense and funny without seeming so awkward about it.

He just needs to try to keep it serious, and not try to do too much on the mic.

Just up the intensity.

Shout out to Bender for the Bad Ass Bad News Banner!

You can see where the compromise has been made in that promo. The firing stuff is unique to Bryan but the 'you're starting to remind me of a word that starts with the letter b right now' is such a WWE line and Bryan's delivery lacked conviction.

Gee, haven't seen a WWE babyface do that before.

Especially not to Randy Orton...

Listen to the two barbs there at 5:00. Pretty lame WWE stuff, heck the faceitious Doink the Clown shtick is classic WWF writing too, like something from a Smackdown game if I do say so myself.

And that's the problem. He isn't terrible on the mic but he doesn't stand out. Still, the crowd CLEARLY doesn't care and love to chant his name. I just think he's got to get some better material and try and experiment a bit with his promos.
    Pimpin' Ain't Easy

Daniel Bryan is not a great talker but he is definitely good enough. Contrary to what others are saying, I think the happy-go-lucky persona fits perfectly for Bryan, and I think that's because it's close to his real life personality. His insults aren't any lamer than The Rock's, and while he certainly doesn't have the delivery of The Rock, he executes them well enough to make the crowd happy. Furthermore, he doesn't come across as cringeworthy when he does the jokes as a guy like Sheamus frequently does. The thing I worry about is that he's straddling a fine line between a wrestler who openly appreciates the crowd support and a wrestler who blatantly sucks up to the crowd for pops.

I think Bryan's intensity is his weakest point. He's not terrible at it, and he's improved over time, but most of the time when he enters angry mode it sounds very forced. He just turns up the volume as the sentence progresses which sounds very artificial to me. However, it's enough to get the crowd going, so it's good enough. This goes back to my point about how Daniel Bryan is much more natural as a smiley, laidback kinda guy.

Your point, Emperor, about him teetering the line between appreciating crowd support and blatant pandering is apt and something I worry about as well. Well said.

I thought his stuff with Batista last night was pretty good.

This banner by ThisIsMayhem on deviant art. Google Image Search Movement

This idea that Bryan was this wrestling automaton that spoke no words on the indies vexes me.

Was he the greatest talker? No, but he was far from the worst As for now, he's, in my opinion, solid. Sufficient. He gets people to listen to what he has to say when he has the microphone and care.

And that's the important part.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
    I'll be honest, I'll probably chant CM Punk in Brooklyn again.

I'm a follower.

This will stay in my sig until John Cena vs. The Rock----THRICE AS NICE. Or until I don't think it's funny anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Djm View Post
    This idea that Bryan was this wrestling automaton that spoke no words on the indies vexes me.

Was he the greatest talker? No, but he was far from the worst As for now, he's, in my opinion, solid. Sufficient. He gets people to listen to what he has to say when he has the microphone and care.

And that's the important part.
    I agree with this. It seemed to me that the people who doubted Bryan's mic work before he came to the WWE were more people working with a stereotype of him in their head then people who actually knew what he was like. On the indy scene, he was above average when it came to mic work in my opinion and well above average when it came to charisma.

I'm like Emperor where I feel like his goofy, laid-back style suits him and it would feel inauthentic for him to be otherwise. I appreciate it isn't typically how the top face in the WWE has spoken, but the crowd are behind him so I don't think it's holding him back. I do feel like he needs better material sometimes. He never has classic lines or memorable moments on the mic, but he always says what he needs to well and gets the crowd behind him.

I'd like to see a sit down interview with Renee Young to see what he could do in a situation like that during this feud.

His insults aren't any lamer than The Rock's
    Depends.

Some of The Rock's material got so over it landed him a job in Hollywood. Some of it didn't work but he got a free pass largely due to his reputation and his delivery which is amazing.

However, that plays into my point given The Rock was one of the first to really enlist the help of writers to script together his material. Which is what Cena went after when they had their rivalry going, hence the Brian Gerwitz comments from time to time.

The thing is, those generic insults work for the Rock, but not for Bryan. If you want to get these new guys over, you really need to give them better material to work with, something that's organic to his character and those examples I posted (IMO) weren't.
    Pimpin' Ain't Easy

Any comparison between Rock and Daniel Bryan on the mic is silly and unfair.

Rock was one of if not the best talker in WWE history, regardless of what his haters say or try to come up with as to why he was so successful on the mic.

He was so good at saying his lines that right now he's one of the most powerful actors in Hollywood making more money than any other wrestler ever came close to.

Bryan obviously isn't even in Rock's league on the mic and he isn't even trying to be.

So again any comparison to Rock is just unfair, silly and unnecessary.

He had a pretty good promo a few months back, maybe it's the Cena one I'm thinking about? But for me, he's below average on the stick on most nights.

We the People's Champion The Champ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
    I'll say this much: I HATE that gee golly thing Daniel Bryan does when cutting a promo. Where he's smiling and just seems like all of this is still surreal to him or something -- like he's not meant to be there. I get the different levels wrestlers can jump between with respect to joking around and seriousness, but the gee golly bit doesn't cut it for me.

With that said, when DB does turn it on and gets intense, as he did with HHH this past week on Raw, then he's money; he shows that flash of brilliance on the stick.
    You just described John Cena.

Which means Bryan is doing exactly what they want him to do on the mic.

Bender

This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

Quote Originally Posted by BadNewsFan View Post
    Any comparison between Rock and Daniel Bryan on the mic is silly and unfair.

Rock was one of if not the best talker in WWE history, regardless of what his haters say or try to come up with as to why he was so successful on the mic.

He was so good at saying his lines that right now he's one of the most powerful actors in Hollywood making more money than any other wrestler ever came close to.

Bryan obviously isn't even in Rock's league on the mic and he isn't even trying to be.

So again any comparison to Rock is just unfair, silly and unnecessary.
    agree it isn't fair to compare him to the rock but is it fair to compare him to Stephanie McMahon? Rewatching that promo someone posted above and she just destroys him on the mic..

and I think that's the problem with Daniel right now.. He is ok on the mic and if he was feuding with orton/batista or even Cena (since he doesn't really put people down) he might be standing a chance..

But steph and trips are brutal and he isn't firing back with intensity the way he should be...

There not exactly the same though. Cena will take his heel opponents more seriously on the mic, whereas Bryan does this sarcastic routine every time. I wish Bryan would fear his opponents more then he does. It's an easy strategy: he looks like he's over matched in the build up but then overcomes at the PPV. But instead his opponents will mock him and he will mock them back which creates zero sympathy for him. He comes off more like a douche then he does a sympathetic character.

The way he was making fun of Batista's outfit last night is WWE Babyface Promo 101.

Bender

This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKliq View Post
    agree it isn't fair to compare him to the rock but is it fair to compare him to Stephanie McMahon? Rewatching that promo someone posted above and she just destroys him on the mic..

and I think that's the problem with Daniel right now.. He is ok on the mic and if he was feuding with orton/batista or even Cena (since he doesn't really put people down) he might be standing a chance..

But steph and trips are brutal and he isn't firing back with intensity the way he should be...
    Yeah, I think he's in way over his head going against Steph and HHH on the mic, and I'm worried he's gonna get annihilated on the mic all throughout the build up to their Mania match.

The Rock/Bryan comparison is just to try and pose an understanding of why the WWE feeds Bryan (and a lot of these babyfaces - Del Rio, Sheamus, Cena all examples) with this material. The Rock was the originator and he made it work (well, most of the time).
    Pimpin' Ain't Easy

Bryan isn't the best on the mic, but he's good enough. Fortunately for him he isn't exactly surrounded by anybody especially exceptional on the stick, so it doesn't really matter at all.

"I've seen a million people die, it's up to us to stop the war."

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Daniel Bryan's mic work as a heel. That was when he was at his greatest on the mic. Although he's doing big things right now, part me of thinks it is a shame that his heel run did not last longer because he was fantastic on all ends. I really enjoyed watching his heel turn progress and he was really awesome at portraying his character on the mic.

I don't really have an issue with his mic work at the moment and I think Djm made a good point in saying that he was underrated to begin with because people had this notion that he was terrible or a mute on the indy scene.

surrender

I think Bryan needs to study guys like Bret Hart and Chris Benoit on the mic and use their style.

They weren't great talkers, but they were effective and direct, that style would work best for him IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by BadNewsFan View Post
    I think Bryan needs to study guys like Bret Hart and Chris Benoit on the mic and use their style.

They weren't great talkers, but they were effective and direct, that style would work best for him IMO.
    I think what Bryan is doing now is way better than a Benoit promo.

There's more to Daniel Bryan than being serious all the time. Hell, part of what helped to endear him to the audience was his antics in a comedy tag team.

Bender

Quote Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
    I think what Bryan is doing now is way better than a Benoit promo.

There's more to Daniel Bryan than being serious all the time. Hell, part of what helped to endear him to the audience was his antics in a comedy tag team.
    I know, I'm just talking about in terms of when the time comes for the Promos to get a little more serious.

Benoit was always very intense and believable in high tension promos and Bryan could really use some help in that department especially when he seems so out matched on the mic against the likes of Steph and HHH.

Thread Information