Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 68

Thread: The Sad Truth About Growing Up in the New School

  1. #1
    MO to the G to the UNS! BadNewsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Seattle Washington
    Posts
    1,982

    Default The Sad Truth About Growing Up in the New School

    Firstly, I want to say that before anyone asks me why do I still watch this stuff, let me remind you that you are talking to a guy who on a wrestling message board, meaning that if I take time out of my grown up day to post on this board, I'm obviously most likely the type who will always watch no matter what.

    So don't waste your time asking me that, please.

    Anyways, I've been discussing the whole Daniel Bryan thing with alot of you lately, and it made me think of a few things, mostly how sad I am that some of you never got to experience Pro Wrestling in it's best years.

    Don't get me wrong, there are still alot of great things happening nowadays, and alot of great wrestlers and matches, but the era itself is just nowhere near close to being as great as it once was, and not for the reasons that you may think.

    And yeah I'm sure alot of you guys will say, well you're just older now, and you just have nostalgia about the past, but that's so far from the truth.

    The Truth is that this new school of Pro Wrestling suffers from the lack of competition between Wrestling companies which made Wrestling organizations like WWE/F, WCW, and ECW a democratic landscape, where the companies really did serve the people (the fans) and those people had a real voice that mattered and directly effected the programing in the organizations.

    Today's wrestling is not a democracy at all, in fact it is a Dictatorship where the fans literally have no voice, no real voice, not one that gets listened to, because the WWE is the only game in town and if fans want their wrestling fix they pretty much have to just DEAL WITH IT, when it comes to the WWE programing.

    Take this past Royal Rumble for instance, that whole farce involving Daniel Bryan would have never happened in the old days, of WWE vs WCW, because it would have been the death nail for the WWE in the war against WCW.

    Remember the WWE/WCW war goes on longer than just the Attitude Era, so no this isn't an Attitude era vs Today debate.

    But yes the WWE would have suffered a fatal blow if it went against the grain and chose not to put it's most popular star in the Rumble, and elected to pick a guy who's been gone for 4 years to win the match even though no one wanted him to.

    Fans would have turned away from WWE in great numbers, and more importantly would have turned the channel to WCW, and WCW would have quickly capitalized on the failed PPV, by talking about how the WWE fans were angry with the outcome of the show, and how the WWE screwed it's own fans.

    That's what was great about the old days, the threat of losing fans to the competition was always looming over the company and because of that the threat of losing fans kept the companies in line, and forced them to do what was ACTUALLY BEST FOR BUSINESS.

    Lex Luger's American hero gimmick bombed, ok can't make him champion at the end of Mania, gotta go with the fan favorite Bret Hart.

    Diesel isn't drawing alot of fans as champion, ok can't just tell fans to DEAL WITH IT, gotta put the strap on fan fav HBK.

    Austin is set to be our top heel, but fans keep cheering him, ok we can't just change his character to make him more chicken shit, in order to force them to hate him, we gotta book him as a babyface since they love him so much.

    See the voices were heard and the people got what they wanted and everyone was better for it.

    Nowadays they just do what they want and tell you to DEAL WITH IT, by the way let me say what an incredible asshole Batista is, the guy knows he's hated right now and knows he's not wanted as champion, but he wants to be champion for whatever reason.

    If you were Batista wouldn't you just say, hey HHH maybe I shouldn't be champion at Mania since they don't really want it, just pay me for the show, but keep the title.

    Maybe he did say that and they didn't listen or maybe they won't do it anyway, but if they do go through with it, and he did have a say in what happens, that is some grade A asshole shit there.

    Back to the subject it's a sad day when the WWE can book an entire Wrestlemania in a way that they know is unpopular but do it anyway, because that's just what they want to do.

    Speaking of WCW, is the WWE actually trying to follow in that fallen company's foot steps, because they are doing alot of similar things that happened right before that company folded, like booking the card like shit to satisfy certain individuals in the company, or moving the main show to 3 hours and over saturating the product, or allowing some talent to book themselves even putting championship clauses into contracts?

    Sounds like it to me.

    In closing, I will say that the WWE can put Bryan in the main event this year and let him win, and that won't change my thoughts on this matter, because for far too long they've been getting away with not giving a shit about what fans think, because they don't have to worry about losing them to another organization.

    The sad truth is in today's WWE what the fans what simply doesn't matter, only what the WWE want's and we as fans just have to learn to DEAL WITH IT!


    Shout out to Bender for the Bad Ass Bad News Banner!

  2. #2
    Big Pimpin' Big Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Age
    24
    Posts
    4,404

    Default Re: The Sad Truth About Growing Up in the New School

    I don't really care to discuss business because it's simply a topic I don't care about but let's be honest here - if this was the truth like you assert it is, then why was the Bryan SummerSlam 2013 headlined SS a flop?

    If the fans LOVED Bryan that much, they would have ordered in droves, no excuses. They didn't, and didn't really get behind him on any of his other rematches.

    Batista on the other hand has a track record and upon return popped a surprisingly big rating.

    I don't think they've done Big Dave justice by thrusting him straight into the championship race on the biggest show of the year but there's sound reasoning behind the decision, as much as I personally dislike it.
    Pimpin' Ain't Easy

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    154

    Default Re: The Sad Truth About Growing Up in the New School

    You saying 93-96 were the glory years?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    346

    Default Re: The Sad Truth About Growing Up in the New School

    great examples are also Ziggler, Ryback(it doesnt matter if people here dont like him. he was over as fuck), Zack Ryder & Damien Sandow.. WWE listens to nobody but themselves and someday that's gonna cost them

  5. #5
    Knows he isn't welcome
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Culiacan, Mexico
    Age
    23
    Posts
    10,482

    Default Re: The Sad Truth About Growing Up in the New School

    WWE is NOT the only game in town, you being too lazy and stuck in your ways to go look for other stuff is no one's fault.

    I have CHIKARA, CMLL, NJPW and other indy feds, and that is more than enough to keep me happy about present day wrestling, the past can go stay in the past.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    825

    Default Re: The Sad Truth About Growing Up in the New School

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwolf View Post
    WWE is NOT the only game in town, you being too lazy and stuck in your ways to go look for other stuff is no one's fault.

    I have CHIKARA, CMLL, NJPW and other indy feds, and that is more than enough to keep me happy about present day wrestling, the past can go stay in the past.
    The op was referring to wwe not having any real competition, the companys you listed are in no way competition for wwe the way wcw was throughout the years even before the attitude era.

  7. #7
    Knows he isn't welcome
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Culiacan, Mexico
    Age
    23
    Posts
    10,482

    Default Re: The Sad Truth About Growing Up in the New School

    And that just doesn't make sense to me, wanting other companies that can compete with WWE just for the sake of lighting a fire under WWE's ass is simply bonkers.

    Dissappointed in WWE for being complacent and not treating it's fans with an inch of respect? Watch something else.

  8. #8
    Greatest Champion Ever The Champ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    16,106

    Default Re: The Sad Truth About Growing Up in the New School

    The bottom line is that you are not being held against your will and forced to watch. You are free to change the channel whenever you wish. Just because you know you won't doesn't mean you don't have that ability.

    And you say the fans don't have a voice?

    Spoiler

    HAYZE

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Heyman
    My client, Brock Lesnar, conquered the Streak.
    This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

  9. #9
    OBEY THE NARRATIVE Djm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Singularity, by way of Detroit
    Posts
    11,998

    Default Re: The Sad Truth About Growing Up in the New School

    There isn't going to be another "war". WWE won. They are Big Brother.

    You can either offer your will to them, or seek refuge with the wrestling promotions that Nightwolf mentioned. It's not that hard. You're on the Internet already.

    And this is the part where Djm says something about wrestling fans and Stockholm Syndrome. Thank you, and good night.

    YOU WILL COMPLY.

  10. #10
    MO to the G to the UNS! BadNewsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Seattle Washington
    Posts
    1,982

    Default Re: The Sad Truth About Growing Up in the New School

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwolf View Post
    And that just doesn't make sense to me, wanting other companies that can compete with WWE just for the sake of lighting a fire under WWE's ass is simply bonkers.

    Dissappointed in WWE for being complacent and not treating it's fans with an inch of respect? Watch something else.
    The only place to watch the highest caliber of Pro Wrestling TV is the WWE.

    I can always (and often do) watch the indies, but TV wrestling is what I grew up on and what I'm addicted to so WWE is the only real option for me because TNA is just unwatchable to me most of the time.

    Doesn't make my points any less valid.

    They know what it takes to please the fans, they used to do it, but they refuse to do it a lot of times now because they know they don't have to.

    That is sad for fans especially younger fans who never got a chance to experience the WWE at its best when things were competitive.


    Shout out to Bender for the Bad Ass Bad News Banner!

  11. #11
    Knows he isn't welcome
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Culiacan, Mexico
    Age
    23
    Posts
    10,482

    Default Re: The Sad Truth About Growing Up in the New School

    Quote Originally Posted by BadNewsFan View Post
    The only place to watch the highest caliber of Pro Wrestling TV is the WWE.
    Subjective.

    You can easily watch of all the feds I mentioned on your TV, the only point I'm seeing here is that you are dissppointed that people will grow to have differing opinions from yours.


    And CMLL and NJPW are not indies, folks.

  12. #12
    OBEY THE NARRATIVE Djm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Singularity, by way of Detroit
    Posts
    11,998

    Default Re: The Sad Truth About Growing Up in the New School

    Quote Originally Posted by BadNewsFan View Post
    The only place to watch the highest caliber of Pro Wrestling TV is the WWE.

    I can always (and often do) watch the indies, but TV wrestling is what I grew up on and what I'm addicted to so WWE is the only real option for me because TNA is just unwatchable to me most of the time.

    Doesn't make my points any less valid.

    They know what it takes to please the fans, they used to do it, but they refuse to do it a lot of times now because they know they don't have to.

    That is sad for fans especially younger fans who never got a chance to experience the WWE at its best when things were competitive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djm View Post
    And this is the part where Djm says something about wrestling fans and Stockholm Syndrome. Thank you, and good night.
    If all you are going to do is kvetch and complain about how you don't enjoy WWE now as much as you did when you are a kid, then that really does put you in the nostalgia crowd.

    Wrestling is subjective. WWE isn't the only game in town. Your attachment to that name is your own fault, as wrestling is something that comes in may different flavors. If you are really that upset with what you are being offered, it is not that difficult to look for something elsewhere that you just might enjoy.

    Unless you're content to complain about and obsess over the past like the rest.

    YOU WILL COMPLY.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Darkmania's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    In the true North - Strong and Free!
    Posts
    6,070

    Default Re: The Sad Truth About Growing Up in the New School

    I get that the product has changed, and that we are exposed to a lot, well probably too much WWE. I guess what bugs me about today's product is that I don't some of the decisions being made. For example, Bryan was scheduled to wrestle Sheamus at Wrestlemania XXX. I just don't get it. What I liked about Wrestlemania was that it was a time for the hottest act in the company to take center stage and either defend or win the biggest title in the company.

    The problem is that it is kind of tough to know who to root for, and if fans don't have someone to root for they lose their connection to the product. I guess that is what I feel sometimes. The WWE is still entertaining, however it is hard to follow and cheer for someone, especially when you find out they don't fit into the WWE's plans.


    Thanks JV for the artwork!!

  14. #14
    MO to the G to the UNS! BadNewsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Seattle Washington
    Posts
    1,982

    Default Re: The Sad Truth About Growing Up in the New School

    And some of you must have not read the part where I said there are a lot of really good reasons to watch like great new stars coming up and good matches.

    Doesn't change the fact that WWE isn't trying as hard as they used to.

    Funny how just like I thought, nobody wants to talk about that, just use the same talking points about changing the channel and nostalgia.


    Shout out to Bender for the Bad Ass Bad News Banner!

  15. #15
    is too sexy for you milopo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,785

    Default Re: The Sad Truth About Growing Up in the New School

    Screw the WWE and it's crappy attitude era. I miss AJPW......why did Hansen, Kawada and Kobashi have to get old......


    "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."


  16. #16
    Answer me these "?'s" 3 Leper Messiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    25
    Posts
    5,298

    Default Re: The Sad Truth About Growing Up in the New School

    It's important to remember at on time, WCW was only competition because they had TV (like TNA), and ECW was just the garden where the other two picked up talent (Chikara, ROH, and other Indy feds).

    WCW become competition by doing something to get people to quit watching WWE.

    ECW became competition by being the alternative that didn't feel like the other.

    We already got our ECW with how Chikara and ROH are. If TNA can make noise and get fans to tune out of WWE, then here comes the next wrestling boom.

    Biggest component here is that WWE changed when fans stopped watching. When WCW started drawing fans to TNT on Mondays, and got people to buy there PPVs over WWE's, to get back on top, WWE had to change. So if you a different, or better, WWE product then...

    QUIT FUCKING WATCHING IT NOW!

    Not to hard of concept to grasp. Even then, if it weren't to change, at least your not "torturing" yourself every Monday by watching it.

  17. #17
    Knows he isn't welcome
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Culiacan, Mexico
    Age
    23
    Posts
    10,482

    Default Re: The Sad Truth About Growing Up in the New School

    Quote Originally Posted by BadNewsFan View Post
    And again you must have not read the part where I said there are a lot of really good reasons to watch like great new stars coming up and good matches.

    Doesn't change the fact that WWE isn't trying as hard as they used to.

    Funny how just like I thought, nobody wants to talk about that, just use the same talking points about changing the channel and nostalgia.
    When you also use the same arguments over and over again, what do you expect people to do in return?

    WWE doesn't have the same incentive to try hard like before, and it has made modern day WWE inferior to "the good ol' days" to you, yet you continue to watch for other reasons, yet you continue to be bothered by how it's not like the "good ol' days".

    What argument do you exactly want other than "I agree with you"?

  18. #18
    Senior Member Sayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,312

    Default Re: The Sad Truth About Growing Up in the New School

    He doesn't want an argument. He wants us all to nod our heads in agreement with the undeniable, undisputed FACT that the old days were better. Because that's not an opinion, or anything....

  19. #19
    MO to the G to the UNS! BadNewsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Seattle Washington
    Posts
    1,982

    Default Re: The Sad Truth About Growing Up in the New School

    Its not hard to understand that I like the WWE, I love the Wrestlemanias and Royal Rumbles.

    I even like a lot of the talent they have, its great entertainment at times

    But its still very frustrating to watch them refuse to give fans what they really want.

    That's the point here, I'm a fan.

    Asking why I watch is like asking a Raiders fan why they keep buying season tickets when their team sucks.

    The answer is simple, like my Seahwaks even though they suck for a while eventually they may win and be the best.

    Being a fan of the WWE is the same way, I'm hoping they get really good again, but I can clearly see and call it when they fuck up.


    Shout out to Bender for the Bad Ass Bad News Banner!

  20. #20
    OBEY THE NARRATIVE Djm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Singularity, by way of Detroit
    Posts
    11,998

    Default Re: The Sad Truth About Growing Up in the New School

    Quote Originally Posted by BadNewsFan View Post
    And some of you must have not read the part where I said there are a lot of really good reasons to watch like great new stars coming up and good matches.

    Doesn't change the fact that WWE isn't trying as hard as they used to.

    Funny how just like I thought, nobody wants to talk about that, just use the same talking points about changing the channel and nostalgia.
    I've been saying WWE isn't trying as hard as they used to for the last decade.

    But the fact is, THEY DON'T HAVE TO. They rule all of existence, save for a few places of refuge, which you don't seem the least bit interested in seeking out for whatever reason.

    Hell, you'll probably get more of what you want from other places besides WWE. Promotions that give 100 percent every single show. Promotions that don't treat their fans like 5-year olds.

    NO JOHN CENA.

    But you seem content with being upset with the current WWE product and continually expressing your frustration with it. There really isn't anything else to say to you other than "Why are you still continually putting yourself through this?"

    YOU WILL COMPLY.

  21. #21
    Knows he isn't welcome
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Culiacan, Mexico
    Age
    23
    Posts
    10,482

    Default Re: The Sad Truth About Growing Up in the New School

    ......WWE is not a sports team, it's an entertainment company, an entertainment company that makes TV shows.


    Brand loyalty is something that will never compute in my brain...

  22. #22
    Senior Member Sayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,312

    Default Re: The Sad Truth About Growing Up in the New School

    To be fair, it is a scientific fact that everybody has some sense of brand loyalty.

  23. #23
    Not Even God Can Save You SensesFailed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Last House on the Left
    Age
    30
    Posts
    8,888

    Default Re: The Sad Truth About Growing Up in the New School

    And this is the reason I say there are two types of fans in todays age... WWE fans... and wrestling fans

    Props to Hayze for the banner

    There is something wrong when people think Cena is a better in-ring worker than Tanahashi
    2009/2010/2011 MMA Diehard and 2009 Underappreciated Award Winner

  24. #24
    OBEY THE NARRATIVE Djm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    The Singularity, by way of Detroit
    Posts
    11,998

    Default Re: The Sad Truth About Growing Up in the New School

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwolf View Post
    ......WWE is not a sports team, it's an entertainment company, an entertainment company that makes TV shows.


    Brand loyalty is something that will never compute in my brain...
    Brand loyalty is something that should continually be redeemed with satisfaction.

    If the brand you are loyal to stops doing that, you have every right to leave it behind to get satisfaction elsewhere. You won't be crucified for it.

    Wrestling promotions are not sports teams. And even sports teams don't deserve brand loyalty. #Lions

    YOU WILL COMPLY.

  25. #25
    Answer me these "?'s" 3 Leper Messiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    25
    Posts
    5,298

    Default Re: The Sad Truth About Growing Up in the New School

    Quote Originally Posted by BadNewsFan View Post
    Asking why I watch is like asking a Raiders fan why they keep buying season tickets when their team sucks.
    I ask and wonder that a lot. I mean why waste your money on shit. I'm a Cubs fan, but I'm not buying tickets to watch them get their ass whooped a majority of the time next year, I want them to win a title (quit laughing) and will care about then when they actually have a chance again (seriously, no laughing). More Cub fans need to get that.

    Then you got Yankee fans, who won't show up unless their team is doing good. They've also won 27 titles.

    See how loyalty bites you in the ass.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •