Thread: Could Reigns suffer the Orton, Cena and even younger HBK effect?

Default Could Reigns suffer the Orton, Cena and even younger HBK effect?

You push a guy to the top, some feeling like the push is forced and the expected baby face gets the jeers. I remember back when HBK was being given the reigns in his Sid and Vader battling days, he had many nights of the guys against him and the girls loving him.

Orton became stale after a while and struggled to remain the most interesting face.

I think we are unsure where Reigns shines most because he has yet to get to that point, but moments like his interview where he called that lady (forgot her name) "Baby girl" starts to enter him into "the girls like him, the guys hate him" category. He has the good looks and physique and one thing I notice the male WWE crowd doesn't warm up to very well are the poster boys.

Daniel Bryan seems the complete opposite as he isn't the typical "it guy" that someone like Triple H likes to push. So its easier for everyone to be behind him.

Do you guys see Reigns being thrown down that route? Or do you sense another edge in him that will keep the full crowd on his side (i.e. Jericho, Austin, Punk, etc).

I actually see Rollins doing just as well. Ambrose I feel will always have the crowd's full cheers or full boos.

Default Re: Could Reigns suffer the Orton, Cena and even younger HBK effect?

WWE needs to be very careful in how they book Reigns. Frankly, they need to give him the Cena SmackDown build: a slow, steady build where he flirts with main event status constantly, but is positioned as the leader of the mid-card. John Cena was insanely over from what I recall (then again, I was just an ignorant teenager at the time) throughout his Smackdown run because WWE didn't give him too much, too soon. It wasn't until they moved him to Raw, started cutting back his character, and put him in matches against respected veterans that the audience really turned on him.

Reigns has potential to be a major star if WWE is just as careful in how they build him up.

The Silver-Tongued Devil versus The Ginger King
    PW WrestleMania XI

Yeah booking is a major thing. If they turn him into a cocky or overly cheesy superman with the title early, the flame may start to burn out.

As a face,

I think you're either unbelievably entertaining (The Rock/Jericho can work the mic like crazy and had a swagger about them)

or

very relatable in your battle vs Authority (Austin taking matters into his own hands vs his boss that people WISH they could do, Bryan kind of unassuming, but with a lot of heart and talent to not accept that he isn't the ideal candidate).

They have to make sure that Reigns isn't just about howling and super punches, but get some dynamic into his character and not to get too cheesy. He needs to maintain and edge about him.

Quote Originally Posted by TyrantT316 View Post
    Daniel Bryan seems the complete opposite as he isn't the typical "it guy" that someone like Triple H likes to push. So its easier for everyone to be behind him.
    I like how he isn't officially running the company and it's already changed from Vince to Triple H. I'm surprised it isn't just a 'WWE likes to push' right now.

But yes, everyone they strap a rocket to has the chance of the crowd turning on them. Austin had it (watch IYH - Fatal Four Way, Zero reaction to him in the main event), Brock had it, and many more will have it.
    Do I sound angry or something?

MO to the G to the UNS! BadNewsFan's Avatar

Its a concern for sure, his good looks are that is.

They have to keep him an unbelievable bad ass in order to keep the guys from booing him

Shout out to Bender for the Bad Ass Bad News Banner!

Darth nailed it on the head. Reigns just needs a nice a steady build right to the top.
    I believe one day he could become world champion. However when he gets the gold, I want him to be established as a legit main eventer. I don't want him to do a dolph Ziggler.

Sadly, i noticed this when they did Reigns Vs Wyatt this past monday. I think Reigns going into the main event picture will take off big time but after a while people will get bored of him and end up turning on him... Not to say thats what SHOULD happen but sadly it may...

Reigns may benefit from all of it - Cena's mixed reactions, Batista getting booed, Sheamus sometimes getting mixed reactions. Hopefully they will learn from it. The action is what gets you over now.

has a brilliant future VenisMark's Avatar

Reigns currently has a good character for a push. A strong man of few words that lets his performances speak for themselves while having a level of mystique that appeals to all demographics. The difficulty will come when WWE tries to flesh him out. We need to see his motivation and reasons for doing things, his current approach can only work for so long before it gets old. Keep the mystique but give the character more layers is what is required for him to be a sound long term investment.

Sen

MO to the G to the UNS! BadNewsFan's Avatar

Its just a weird thing that happens when too many women start screaming for a guy, the men in the crowd end up turning on the guy, like they just hate him for it.

I think he's definitely talented enough to be a strong main event babyface, but he's has to be an animal in the ring.

A lot of growling and not too many smouldering stares in the camera.

Shout out to Bender for the Bad Ass Bad News Banner!

as long they keep this build slow and he remains at his core an intense badass powerhouse he will be fine.

but if wwe start having him (as batista put it) "kiss babies and hugging fat chicks" then yeah there will be backlash. no one likes the bate and switch. (see: funny/entertaining rapper cena to vanilla GI Joe cena)
    "Everyone back to my trailer for pot pies and mountain dew" - Kevin Nash

Reigns will be fine as long as the WWE don't go overboard with the unbeatable superman stuff, which is certainly possible, maybe even likely, given that this is WWE. He's still not completely convincing as a singles star as far as in-ring work goes, but he has the ability, the charisma, the moves and the gestures to easily win the crowd over. He'll do well as long as he soldiers on with the same character: a man with few words, a silent killer. Someone who knows he's tough shit but doesn't need to talk about it.

Reigns will never be the face, doesn't have the charisma and mic skills to pull it off. He'll be what Batista was 9 years ago though.

Reigns is pretty much a 2014 Batista. He's much better at being Batista than Batista is right now. I also think Reigns is better in the ring than Batista has ever been.

The fact that there's only one world title now definitely helps Reigns chances of being booked really well as they can't throw the WHC on him for a "sink or swim" situation. There's a very good chance that this forces WWE to do a slow burn kind of push with Reigns. He's already got a couple of records that will always be at disposal in video packages and what not, I mean look how they promoted Kane in every single Royal Rumble video package.

The guy definitely has an edge about him, it's been touched on already that Reigns needs to be the strong silent badass type, let his actions speak a lot louder then his words, that said his words aren't terrible. If WWE can correctly put the pieces together, there's a big star ready and waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz
    I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am than love me for something i'm not
    Quote Originally Posted by Oncall's brain
    There is no conspiracy, WWE isn't burying Ambrose
    Episode 5 of "Sittin down for a chat with Oncall" with special guest BigRed

The countdown has begun, see where your favourite season landed

I think for now they almost have to wait at least a year to even consider giving Reign's that #1 main event spot simply due to how insanely over Daniel Bryan is. If the return of Batista is any indication, when WWE tries to ignore what the fans want and puts a different guy in position of who they like, the fans will give that wrestler a very hard time. So if WWE is patient, I think Reigns will be fine, but if they ignore the people then Reigns will suffer as a result.

Roman Reigns is a good "hot tag" and "powerhouse", but the character has not yet wrestled enough as a singles wrestler to keep an audience entertained.

Hell, Seth Rollins has more experience as a singles wrestler than Roman Reigns; again, I mean character wise. Yes, I know about Tyler Black Character. But Seth Rollins has wrestled on NXT, RAW, and Smackdown for a while, even being NXT's champ. He and Dean Ambrose have taken the time to truly understand their characters as single wrestlers. Dean has really improved for his selling abilities, still being great for what he's known for but toning it down enough to be credible enough for a WWE audience.

But for Roman Reigns, he has been that hot tag to help The Shield dominate a match. In Royal Rumble, he didn't have to shine during his entirety in the ring, just at hot moments. I personally feel that he should have remained on the right wing of The Shield when they would do stand off's.

BELIEVE IN AMBROSE
    THE BEST NEWS IS BAD NEWS
    Cena fan for LIFE

banner by, Dj LatinoHeat

Roman Reigns is going to be fine.

His "power" moves alone are going to keep him entertaining enough and he looks like a bad ass. He may be the bad ass face the WWE needs that's going to take down the bad ass heels.

They need to keep his TV matches short for the time being, while get him to practice every chance he can get at house shows.

BELIEVE IN AMBROSE
    THE BEST NEWS IS BAD NEWS
    Cena fan for LIFE

banner by, Dj LatinoHeat

Quote Originally Posted by DC The Champ View Post
    WWE needs to be very careful in how they book Reigns. Frankly, they need to give him the Cena SmackDown build: a slow, steady build where he flirts with main event status constantly, but is positioned as the leader of the mid-card. John Cena was insanely over from what I recall (then again, I was just an ignorant teenager at the time) throughout his Smackdown run because WWE didn't give him too much, too soon. It wasn't until they moved him to Raw, started cutting back his character, and put him in matches against respected veterans that the audience really turned on him.

Reigns has potential to be a major star if WWE is just as careful in how they build him up.
    I agree with this completely a slow escalating burn is the way to go.
    If people like Reigns, Sandow, Bray Wyatt etc. can have really good feuds in the mid-card they will rise to the top with crowd momentum.
    The top of the card is already loaded with talent that seems above duking it out for the IC, Sheamus.
    Sheamus, Cena etc. they're all treading water at the moment... Such a lack of depth in the writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Reigns may benefit from all of it - Cena's mixed reactions, Batista getting booed, Sheamus sometimes getting mixed reactions. Hopefully they will learn from it. The action is what gets you over now.
    Never understood why people boo him, hes a beast in the ring and always puts on great matches.

As people have said he is the next Batista, I wasn't impressed with his match with bray, what they need to do if give him a singles feud with guys like Kane, Sheamus, Ziggler. Uppa midcard guys so they establish him as a midcard guy ready for the main event.

Thanks To Hayze

I'm chill like dat Im Coo Like Dat's Avatar

If by suffer you mean have careers that span decades plus than yes, I think Reigns could do that too.
    Last edited by Im Coo Like Dat; 02-27-2014 at 06:25 PM.

RIP Oscar Taveras :( SM(Stardust)'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kane View Post
    Never understood why people boo him, hes a beast in the ring and always puts on great matches.
    I think Sheamus probably gets booed because of his horrible character and the fact that he rarely ever loses.

surrender

Quote Originally Posted by SM Rhodes View Post
    I think Sheamus probably gets booed because of his horrible character and the fact that he rarely ever loses.
    Exactly. He was terrible during his first push. I hated the way he just beat everyone every week. And it would have been fine if he had. A good character. But as we all know he had the total opposite of a good character.
    Anyway I am really disappointed he didn't return as a heel.

Thread Information