Thread: Raw and Smackdown May Be Leaving USA and SYFY

Default Raw and Smackdown May Be Leaving USA and SYFY

Raw and Smackdown may lose their homes on USA and Syfy

Basically, the WWE and NBCU didn't come to terms on a new licensing deal during negotiations. WWE now has the opportunity to field offers from other networks, although NBCU still has the right to match any offer made. I'm a little surprised NBC didn't pay up considering Raw is still a ratings powerhouse even today, and Smackdown on Syfy and the Divas show on E! do really well for them too. But maybe the WWE considers this a good thing. I'm sure some network will offer them what they were asking.

Banned

Default Re: Raw and Smackdown May Be Leaving USA and SYFY

I don't know if I give a shit really. Change is sometimes a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Repperton View Post
    I don't know if I give a shit really. Change is sometimes a good thing.
    But didn't they fail when they tried to move Saturday Night's Main Event to FOX, and RAW to TNN?

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."

The Wrestle-O-Pedia TheMaskedOtter's Avatar

I wonder if NBCU has let this happen to allow the WWE to shop around and then come back for a lower price. Pro wrestling isn't as popular as its been in the past.

Just eecause WWE didn't accept NBCU's offer doesn't mean that they're moving. WWE wasn't expected to accept no matter what was offered because they wanted to see what other offers they'll be given. They'll still probably end up staying on USA AND SyFy.

And this wasn't NBCU's decision it was WWE's. Plus WWE are gonna get at least twice what they get now, not less. Wrestling's still popular. And sports TV is getting a premium right now.

Maybe those two shows will be moved exclusively to the WWE Network.

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."

Quote Originally Posted by CM Punk'd View Post
    Maybe those two shows will be moved exclusively to the WWE Network.
    How would WWE grow its fan base then? Raw and SmackDown need to be on TV.

surrender

I will never forgive USA for airing the dog contests during the Attitude Era of RAW.

I used to be devastated about that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I will never forgive USA for airing the dog contests during the Attitude Era of RAW.

LOL. Yeah I totally remember that shit.

Yeah, man. That was some fucked up shit. I used to check every channel then and see if if was on after and instead I would get Lefemme Nikita or whatever that shit was called.

Very traumatic.

I don't care, because I'm going to be ordering WWE Network. But as far as the growth of the WWE is concerned, they need to be sure to be on a station that's available on almost every cable provider and is known by the general audience.
    WWE: IT'S NOT A FANDOM, IT'S A FAMILY
    The Shield on Crack 3 (The End)
    BELIEVE IN AMBROSE
    THE BEST NEWS IS BAD NEWS
    Cena fan for LIFE

Where ever they decide to go, the new network if indeed Raw and Smackdown do move would have to concede to 3 hours and 15 minutes of programming on Monday's.

I read a while back the WWE was interested in ESPN and FOX Sports, those are networks that could give-up 3 hours of programming on Monday's.

Raw and Smackdown need to be on TV, not everyone who watches the shows wants to watch on the internet, plus the Internet does not have the ability to DVR the shows.

Smackdown could be placed on a network where it could be aired live. ESPN or FOX Sports could give-up time on Wednesday or Thursday for a live show. I personally liked Smackdown when it aired on Thursday's.

As someone who posted above said change is good; I concur. Changing networks could allow the WWE the ability to change-up their product, and possibly increase the fan base. Sports based networks have more viewers during the week and weekends who would see promo's for the shows, and might tune in on Monday's, along with Smackdown.

Lastly I could see RAW on FOX Sports aired on Monday's, and Smackdown aired live on ESPN on Wednesday or Thursday. Additionally ESPN has Watch ESPN which airs sporting events live on the internet so they could Tag team the airing of SMACKDOWN TV/Internet at the same time.

Just my thoughts.

I'd prefer Fox Sports if they go to a sports network. ESPN has Mondays tied up with college basketball, and college football on Wednesdays thru Saturday most weeks of the fall. ESPN would treat it second rate whereas Fox Sports is trying to establish their Fox Sports 1 network.

WWE, and many experts within the television industry, believe this is a very hot market and that not opening themselves up to a bidding war would be a missed opportunity. Television is in a time of transition with so much content going on-demand or even fully over-the-top (ala WWE themselves, ironically enough), so in 2014 the most valuable television is television that is watched live. It is the only sort of programming that can guarantee advertisers that their commercials are getting the eyes that they need.

I believe that if NBC has just one competitor (there may be more) that is seriously interested in taking on WWE programming, the price will be driven up to the extreme.

I think FOX would be their best option. ESPN on Mondays have college basketball right now, followed by Monday Night Baseball, and then Monday Night Football.

Peakaboo... You're Doomed theshape31's Avatar

[nothing to see here]

Peakaboo... You're Doomed theshape31's Avatar

They need to air Raw and Smackdown for free (exactly as they do with PPV Kickoff matches), as well as the WWE Network. Allowing free access on any device for these shows will allow the WWE to maintain their fanbase, all the while gaining viewership from those who wouldn't have tuned in otherwise. At the same time, they need to get Raw and Smackdown on the same TV network. Preferably one where folks don't even need extended cable, something like NBC. It's time for them to really take a chance and find a major network station to make their product more visible than it currently is. I normally can't even remember what station Smackdown is on, that's how much work they need to do. If I have a TV and an antenna, I should be able to watch Raw and Smackdown. And if the WWE doesn't realize that's what needs to happen, then they're in trouble.

They're not in any kind of trouble. In the current climate they draw massive ratings.

WWE is not broadcast TV-friendly. A lot of broadcast content is seasonal and WWE would be messed around to the point where the show wouldn't even feel episodic anymore. Broadcast networks just can't facilitate running a three-hour-plus episodic broadcast unless it brings in ridiculous viewership which WWE does not.

In an ideal world here, they stay on NBCU. It's just easier, Vince already has the relationships in place, etc. But WWE have been too soft on TV negotiations for a long time and this time they won't be messed around. They are prepared to go elsewhere.

The Wrestle-O-Pedia TheMaskedOtter's Avatar

Do you know the actual reason they used to air the dog show and the US Open in place of the WWE? It was due to advertising revenue for USA. The audience for those events were only a small fraction of the wrestling audience, but the advertising was multiples higher than the advertising for wrestling. You can charge far more for Rolex and Mercedes aimed at the dog show/tennis audience then you can Slim Jim and Mars bars for wrestling.

I'll stick by what I originally posted. This could come back and bite the WWE in the arse. If the WWE entertains other offers then it is going to give an actual valuation of what the WWE is worth. NBCU could end up being the winners.

ESPN won't touch them. I don't think Fox will either since they already have UFC. I suppose Viacom could jettison TNA and try to get the WWE back on Spike, but I seem to remember their ratings were lower on Spike then they were on USA so the WWE might now want that deal. Who knows, I'm sure they'll just stay where they are.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMaskedOtter View Post
    Do you know the actual reason they used to air the dog show and the US Open in place of the WWE? It was due to advertising revenue for USA. The audience for those events were only a small fraction of the wrestling audience, but the advertising was multiples higher than the advertising for wrestling. You can charge far more for Rolex and Mercedes aimed at the dog show/tennis audience then you can Slim Jim and Mars bars for wrestling.
    Interesting point.

God damn I hated those weeks where the dog show would come on. That was the worst ever! Just imagine, you're all hyped up, you are a little kid with nothing to look forward to during the week except that one hour where you get to see awesome dudes like The Undertaker and Bret Hart and it would hit you when you were least expecting it! BAM! DOG SHOW THIS WEEK! NO WRESTLING!

It was the worst during the pre-Nitro era when you would just be fucked. I do remember a few rare times when both Raw and Nitro would be cancelled for the week for something stupid on both channels. Now that was the shits. Here we are in the middle of a war between these two awesome wrestling promotions and we're going to take a break this week for a dog show and basketball? What the fuck is going on around here?

Please bring Smackdown to Thursday nights. Having it on Friday's are stupid.
    Spoiler

I could see a situation where Raw and Smackdown were to air on TBS & TNT

Didn't they pull that shit with tennis matches too? Pissed me off.

Look what Fox paid for NASCAR last year. You cannot truly think that WWE won't get a good improvement out of this. All of the signs point towards WWE doubling their price in the worst case scenario. Live television has never been at more of a premium.

Also, FOX having UFC makes no difference. What difference does it make? The schedules don't clash and the demographic is similar, it's win/win/win.

I think FOX will come in big.

Thread Information