Thread: Details On Why The WWE Talent Roster Isnít Excited About The WWE Network

Default Details On Why The WWE Talent Roster Isnít Excited About The WWE Network

While this might come as a surprise, weíre told the WWE talent roster isnít as excited as everyone else regarding the WWE Network. From the workers weíve heard from, there is concern regarding pay-per-view bonuses and their biggest payday of the year Ė Wrestlemania Ė being effected.

Weíre told there was no explanation given to workers prior to the WWE Network announcement was made last week and itís a topic Vince McMahon is scheduled to address Monday at Raw in Providence, Rhode Island. According to a source, itís likely WWE didnít address the issue with talent before the announcement because of an overwhelming paranoia regarding leaks.

WWE took extreme measures last week to assure the content of the WWE Network announcement was not leaked. While the confirmation of the announcement was accidentally leaked the day before, weíll have more later this week about the ridiculous measures to the company took to keep their announcement off the Internet.

Credit: WNW
    Hopefully things get ironed out with the talent at today's meeting.

Default Re: Details On Why The WWE Talent Roster Isnít Excited About The WWE Network

Those ppv bonuses are huge for the wrestlers. Reports from last year say that Swagger got a $250,000 bonus for his title match at mania. I've read in several places that many wrestlers more than double their yearly salary just from the ppv bonuses, mainly the mid card type guys.
    Wildfire Tommy Rich for WWE HOF 2014

Default Re: Details On Why The WWE Talent Roster Isnít Excited About The WWE Network

I doubt their pay is affected, if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Perfect View Post
    Those ppv bonuses are huge for the wrestlers. Reports from last year say that Swagger got a $250,000 bonus for his title match at mania. I've read in several places that many wrestlers more than double their yearly salary just from the ppv bonuses, mainly the mid card type guys.
    Thanks for this information. I always assumed that a good portion of what they made came from PPV bonuses. If you listen to a lot of the old timers talk they always talk about drawing PPV numbers. I'm wondering what WWE will do make the wrestlers happy about this situation
    Last edited by JV; 01-13-2014 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    Thanks for this information. I always assumed that a good portion of what they made came from PPV bonuses. If you listen to a lot of the old timers talk they always talk about drawing PPV numbers. I'm wondering what WWE will do make the wrestlers happy about this situation
    Just for the record, Swagger's base salary according to the Wrestling Observer is $319,000/year. Not a bad salary for the "average" American worker. So for him to get that mania bonus almost does literally double his yearly income.
    Wildfire Tommy Rich for WWE HOF 2014

A lot of these guys that are miffed about the PPV bonuses will just have to figure out a way to make themselves more marketable for merchandise sales. If I were a WWE employee who had issues with the PPV payoffs being affected I would use this chance to take more control over my character. I would just say to WWE officials that I need to do whatever in order to supplement my income. Look what taking over a character did for Zack Ryder? If WWE is not coming up with good ideas for a character it's up to the wrestlers themselves to take control.

The bitch is, where else will they go to make nearly as much as they do with WWE?TNA? How many big contracts could they absorb before they went belly up? No matter if their bonuses are affected or not, theyre still making more in WWE than they could outside(generally speaking). If their money is affected, it's a shame, no doubt and I feel for them. But whatre ya gonna do? Doubt ROH could pay Cena or Orton what they make just base salary-wise.
    [I]
    Taker, one of the greatest Legends in History
    Forever A Warrior
    Shout out to Bender for the Sig.

The meeting has been cancelled for unknown reasons.

Oh shit. All of WWE quit? Its really gonna he the JBL & Cole show...for 3 hours...Hunter better get ready to have an Iron Man Match with Vince. And the main event will be Hornswaggle vs. Lawler in an Ambulance match.

Too soon?
    [I]
    Forever A Warrior

Well, I certainly don't envy Vince's position as far as this is concerned. This could get complicated.

A lot of these guys that are miffed about the PPV bonuses will just have to figure out a way to make themselves more marketable for merchandise sales. If I were a WWE employee who had issues with the PPV payoffs being affected I would use this chance to take more control over my character. I would just say to WWE officials that I need to do whatever in order to supplement my income. Look what taking over a character did for Zack Ryder? If WWE is not coming up with good ideas for a character it's up to the wrestlers themselves to take control.
    It got him buried and he hardly ever makes appearances on RAW or Smackdown, and if he does it's a quick little squash match. Apparently taking control of your character and getting yourself over without the help of the company is a no-no. Sure, WWE started selling more Ryder merchandise (which sold very well), but they completely killed all the momentum he had built for himself. After The Rock's return match after being gone for 8 years or however long it was he was cutting a promo and the crowd loudly chanted "We want Ryder!" Ryder was over with everyone: the kids, the women, and the adult males, but that didn't matter. Hell, Ryder is largely responsible for WWE becoming so connected with and interested in social media including Twitter, and their partnership with YouTube. Zack Ryder was never meant to get over and he was punished for doing so on his own. Such a backwards way of operating a wrestling company.

Is anyone really all that surprised Vince would screw over his own talent just to put more money in his pocket because I'm not.

The Nerdery's Best Poster (2013 Co-Winner)
    PW WrestleMania X Money In The Bank Winner

You have to figure this was done in some crazy way to benefit upper management first and foremost to put extra money in their wallets. I bet without a doubt their ppv bonuses will be affected by this and they will take a cut on their WM appearance. Vince is always looking out for himself and family, the talent always 2nd (unless your name is Cena)

Banned

Apparently today's meeting got cancelled.

A shame. I'm sure the talent were eager to get an earful of the patronizing "HR bitch" act Steph's been using on television.

This is awkward. That's for sure. Though I'm sure measures will be taken to ensure that the talent don't get too restless.

Quote Originally Posted by Lony View Post
    Is anyone really all that surprised Vince would screw over his own talent just to put more money in his pocket because I'm not.
    Where in this (speculative article) does it say that talent won't be compensated for loss of PPV bonus? All it says is that a meeting has been called to sort it out. Twelve posts on in this thread and you'd swear half the mid-card were already living in a camper-van. Come on.

Quote Originally Posted by Big E-nigma View Post
    Apparently today's meeting got cancelled.

A shame. I'm sure the talent were eager to get an earful of the patronizing "HR bitch" act Steph's been using on television.

This is awkward. That's for sure. Though I'm sure measures will be taken to ensure that the talent don't get too restless.
    They may never address it. Talent will find out when their ppv checks are lower. Haha

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    They may never address it. Talent will find out when their ppv checks are lower. Haha
    Not a chance of that happening. There's no way they'd fuck with morale by having Vince spend the next few months ducking everyone. That would be far too unprofessional for today's WWE.

Quote Originally Posted by Lony View Post
    Is anyone really all that surprised Vince would screw over his own talent just to put more money in his pocket
    Yes.

This news is of no surprise. A few months back websites were talking about this same subject. Looks like we'll have to wait to find out what happens next when the meeting does occur.

Vince answers to shareholders, remember. It isn't so much lining his own pockets, but all a shareholder wants to hear is how Q2 compared to Q1, and why profit isn't higher. That's the downside to being publicly traded. You no longer soley own your product. These leeches, sorry, financial backers, get a say in what you do.
    That being said, Vince has been doing this a long time amd I can't imagine him willing to destroy the roster morale in one deft move like taking hundreds of thousands of dollars out of their pockets. He counts on these folks to perform, and needs to keep talent happy to get the best out of them. I imagine part of why it took so ling to finally announce the network was ironing out the labor part. How will this and that affect the talent's payroll vs. Company profit. Vince is far from stupid.
    Yes, I said they have no better option, and that stands true. But it doesn't mean you'll get the best outof them if you give them a $100,000 or more paycut.
    [I]
    Forever A Warrior

They do. Mid/Undercard wrestlers try that all the time. They make the pitch and more often than not, nothing gets done. If they go into business for themselves like Zack Ryder, you end up like Zack Ryder.

This will probably just result in a change to the way the pay structure is done. PPV bonuses were an easy way to do it before, but as PPV evolves into the network, the pay will probably evolve with it.

It could be a big thing, but I don't think they're all of a sudden just going to eliminate bonuses with no alternate compensation.

"I like cake."

Quote Originally Posted by MrAndersons Mic View Post
    Im posting my thoughts not for them to be debated or argued against. I would like for folks to understand and agree with my point of view while throwing dookie at the McMahons and laughing at it.

Thread Information