Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29

Thread: CNBC Knocks Wrestling Fans

  1. #1
    We the People! JV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,639

    Default CNBC Knocks Wrestling Fans

    - CNBC has an article up predicting that WWE stock will belly flop, despite the rise over the past year and the launch of the WWE Network. They wrote about pro wrestling:

    "Good news for "professional" wrestling fans: No, it's not actually real. However, now you can enjoy wrestling 24 hours a day, seven days a week from the comfort of your parents' basement."
    http://nodq.com/wwe/391640358.shtml

    http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/talki...213459468.html

    Even in the video they come off so arrogant in their disdain for wrestling. One of the best things about the WWE Network is that Vince doesn't have to answer to anyone. So that's one of the reasons why the content will be unedited and why we will get to see Chris Benoit. I bet once the media finds out that Benoit is being featured they will hammer WWE for it.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,137

    Default Re: CNBC Knocks Wrestling Fans

    Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    One of the best things about the WWE Network is that Vince doesn't have to answer to anyone.
    Except the market and public perception.

    As for the jabs at wrestling fans, I couldn't care less. I have no time for that sort of mindless bullying.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,362

    Default Re: CNBC Knocks Wrestling Fans

    lol fuck CNBC.

  4. #4
    COYG Todd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Wales
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,163

    Default Re: CNBC Knocks Wrestling Fans

    Anyone that thinks WWE stock isn't going to at least stay high with the launch of the network, doesn't deserve the air they breathe. The guy who gives the reasons why it will 'belly flop' (it probably will do this a little but hardly enough to write home about), basically gives his reasons why he doesn't like it. 'It's a scripted program' - lol wtf is that supposed to mean? Psuedo-reality has taken over TV, and wrestling is the original psuedo-reality form.

  5. #5
    We the People! JV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,639

    Default Re: CNBC Knocks Wrestling Fans

    https://twitter.com/lvlewitinn

    That's the twitter account of the guy that wrote this awful article. I'll tweet him a message in a bit.

  6. #6
    We the People! JV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,639

    Default Re: CNBC Knocks Wrestling Fans

    It's funny the guy that wrote the article says wrestling is NOT real, yet if you tried to argue with him that WWE deserves credit for having one of the longest running weekly episodic programs he would then tell you WWE is a sport, not a show.
    Last edited by JV; 01-13-2014 at 01:04 PM.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,137

    Default Re: CNBC Knocks Wrestling Fans

    Judging by his Twitter, he seems to watch quite a few movies.

    Has anyone told him those are scripted?

    #LowHangingFruit

  8. #8
    Konnichiwa! Krimzon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Age
    28
    Posts
    8,985

    Default Re: CNBC Knocks Wrestling Fans

    It's absolutely amazing that this archaic stereotype is still around.


  9. #9
    @CheapTequila Stefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Age
    25
    Posts
    6,405

    Default Re: CNBC Knocks Wrestling Fans

    Yeah, wrestling sucks, that's why his bosses at NBC Universal are gonna spend more than 250 million to try and keep WWE on USA, SmackDown on SyFy. CNBC sucks. FBN has better analysis and analysts. Hell, someone on Fox had similar concerns about the stock but was much more civil and had actual unbiased analysis. Also he debated JBL on the issue.

  10. #10
    Is A Movie Star Damnit. Blindy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    New York
    Age
    25
    Posts
    31,737

    Default Re: CNBC Knocks Wrestling Fans

    CNBC is apart of a heavy liberal propaganda center. Who cares what they think? Its a bunch of 50+ year olds who try and find a pulse as to why their generation fucked the current generation and future generations over in the job market and the entire economy. Out of touch much?

    - Justin Valuable

    Blindy's V&G Reviews: Shovel Knight
    Next:

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,137

    Default Re: CNBC Knocks Wrestling Fans

    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
    Yeah, wrestling sucks, that's why his bosses at NBC Universal are gonna spend more than 250 million to try and keep WWE on USA, SmackDown on SyFy. CNBC sucks. FBN has better analysis and analysts. Hell, someone on Fox had similar concerns about the stock but was much more civil and had actual unbiased analysis. Also he debated JBL on the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blindy View Post
    CNBC is apart of a heavy liberal propaganda center. Who cares what they think? Its a bunch of 50+ year olds who try and find a pulse as to why their generation fucked the current generation and future generations over in the job market and the entire economy. Out of touch much?
    Oh shit...

    Everybody run for cover. Quick.

  12. #12
    SAWFT Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Age
    25
    Posts
    9,452

    Default Re: CNBC Knocks Wrestling Fans

    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
    Yeah, wrestling sucks, that's why his bosses at NBC Universal are gonna spend more than 250 million to try and keep WWE on USA, SmackDown on SyFy. CNBC sucks.
    This is really all that has to be said.

    He really did himself a disservice with the jabs at wrestling. The real argument is that the stock is already trading at an unsustainable high (which could very well be true) and that a large chunk of their revenue will be taken away with the loss of PPV revenue. I disagree with the second part because really, they aren't sacrificing that much profit. WWE wasn't making $65 off their $65 pay-per-views, they were probably clearing about $30 at best. Instead of that fluctuating business model that was very dependent on monthly trends, they'll have a steady cash flow coming in with very little fluctuation. I think that's better for the stock price than living and dying on the buyrate for Payback.

    "I like cake."

    Quote Originally Posted by MrAndersons Mic View Post
    Im posting my thoughts not for them to be debated or argued against. I would like for folks to understand and agree with my point of view while throwing dookie at the McMahons and laughing at it.

  13. #13
    COYG Todd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Wales
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,163

    Default Re: CNBC Knocks Wrestling Fans

    The thing is, any belly flop from the network hype dying down will be counter-acted by the sale of exclusive TV rights. I think industry observers are being very conservative in their prediction that WWE 'could double their fees'. I believe we could be talking about a multiplication far greater than that. About 90% of WWE's audience watch live. So they will be sold and presented as a sports brand, which is a huge premium for any network in today's catch-up TV world. For a bit of a comparison, the NHL managed to renegotiate their rights by 13x when they last sat around the table. The NHL's average rating when they took that deal was around 0.52, compared to around 2.1/2.2 for WWE. Now that doesn't mean WWE will quadruple the NHL because that would be ridiculous, but if the rights are sold well by a hard negotiator then financially this could easily be a bigger story than the network.

    WWE's stock will be at an all-time high for good reason, and that dunce that think it's overvalued and will plummet shouldn't be allowed near a finance article again, because he's a muppet.

  14. #14
    SAWFT Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Age
    25
    Posts
    9,452

    Default Re: CNBC Knocks Wrestling Fans

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    The thing is, any belly flop from the network hype dying down will be counter-acted by the sale of exclusive TV rights. I think industry observers are being very conservative in their prediction that WWE 'could double their fees'. I believe we could be talking about a multiplication far greater than that. About 90% of WWE's audience watch live. So they will be sold and presented as a sports brand, which is a huge premium for any network in today's catch-up TV world. For a bit of a comparison, the NHL's rights fees are 13x that of WWE. The NHL's average rating when they took that deal was around 0.52, compared to around 2.1/2.2 for WWE. Now that doesn't mean WWE will quadruple the NHL because that would be ridiculous, but if the rights are sold well by a hard negotiator then financially this could easily be a bigger story than the network.

    WWE's stock is at an all-time high for good reason, and that dunce that think it's overvalued and will plummet shouldn't be allowed near a finance article again, because he's a muppet.
    Agree completely. I'm very interested to see what the TV deal does for the stock price, because it's really the only sports brand that has a publicly traded stock. It's a very nice cushion to have just in case the Network misses their internal projections for one reason or another.

    "I like cake."

    Quote Originally Posted by MrAndersons Mic View Post
    Im posting my thoughts not for them to be debated or argued against. I would like for folks to understand and agree with my point of view while throwing dookie at the McMahons and laughing at it.

  15. #15
    COYG Todd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Wales
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,163

    Default Re: CNBC Knocks Wrestling Fans

    It will go all-time high, I think it will probably go sky-high until the window of opportunity passes and it will come down a fair but. Nevertheless, operating profit, bottom line income, cash flow, all of these things are set to multiply really if the projections come in. Tbh I think the network projections are conservative too. This will transform the company financially. How much it will affect the on-air product depends on where and how they can invest it.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Ambrose Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,729

    Default Re: CNBC Knocks Wrestling Fans

    Wrestling fans in their parent's basements? Who wrote this, JBL?

  17. #17
    Banned merle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The mitten
    Posts
    5,926

    Default Re: CNBC Knocks Wrestling Fans

    It's CNBC. Is there anyone on that network who isn't an elitist @sshole? I'm sure they are thinking that the Network will go the way of the XFL or the WBF. The difference is that this is a wrestling venture. Vince knows what he is doing when it comes to wrestling. Admittedly, I have been skeptical of the Network since they first announced it a couple of years ago but the recent press conference really impressed me. I'm not going to subscribe right away but I'm betting on it at least being a moderate success when it launches and slowly growing after that depending on viewer reaction.

  18. #18
    Senior Member TheKliq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,293

    Default Re: CNBC Knocks Wrestling Fans

    I don't really get that whole wwe isn't real thing I never have.. It's scripted so is almost everything you see on tv. They act like just because it involves "wrestling" a sport it has to be 100% legit.

    That's what is great about professional wrestling it combines the athletics and endurance of sports and the drama and storytelling of a book or movie..

    Don't like it fine but don't waste your time knocking wwe for something we all already know.. It's just old and tired at this point.

    Kindly STFU.

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,146

    Default Re: CNBC Knocks Wrestling Fans

    keep the politics out of the thread,folks. fox,cnbc,etc are equally useless.

    On topic, any projected revenue loss on the ppvs is greatly underestimating the number of people that will sign up that had been watching streams.

  20. #20
    Now residing in the 256 BestInThe205's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Age
    22
    Posts
    4,065

    Default Re: CNBC Knocks Wrestling Fans

    "This is going to fail because I don't like the product."

    Yeah, that makes sense. I can't stand the mindless wrestling hate. Don't like it? Don't watch it.

    Oh, its fake? NO WAY! So you mean that Kane wasn't really set on fire and Vince McMahon didn't really explode in a limo and come back the next week? WOW!
    (Mucho credit to Bender)

  21. #21
    The Conquerer Slushy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,905

    Default Re: CNBC Knocks Wrestling Fans

    Wrestling fans in their parent's basements? Who wrote this, JBL?
    I actually hope he cuts a heel promo on CNBC during one of his FOX News visits, lol.
    It's showtime, folks!

  22. #22

    Default Re: CNBC Knocks Wrestling Fans

    Who cares?

    If wrestling fans are still so sensitive as to get their panties in a bunch over a simple jab at wrestling, then this just proves they deserve to be mocked. Non-wrestling fans are always gonna have a condescending attitude towards wrestling, it comes with the territory.

  23. #23
    Is A Movie Star Damnit. Blindy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    New York
    Age
    25
    Posts
    31,737

    Default Re: CNBC Knocks Wrestling Fans

    Quote Originally Posted by WWF/E Guru View Post
    Who cares?

    If wrestling fans are still so sensitive as to get their panties in a bunch over a simple jab at wrestling, then this just proves they deserve to be mocked. Non-wrestling fans are always gonna have a condescending attitude towards wrestling, it comes with the territory.
    Except when you try and get people to take yourself or selves seriously as a business program/channel, it helps to put aside personal bias and look up the facts and call it for what it is regardless if you love or hate wrestling.

    I think NASCAR is boring as shit and caters to a certain audience/demographic but I'd be a fool to think it isn't very successful and one of the biggest sports in America, over hockey and soccer.

    - Justin Valuable

    Blindy's V&G Reviews: Shovel Knight
    Next:

  24. #24

    Default Re: CNBC Knocks Wrestling Fans

    Quote Originally Posted by Blindy View Post
    Except when you try and get people to take yourself or selves seriously as a business program/channel, it helps to put aside personal bias and look up the facts and call it for what it is regardless if you love or hate wrestling.

    I think NASCAR is boring as shit and caters to a certain audience/demographic but I'd be a fool to think it isn't very successful and one of the biggest sports in America, over hockey and soccer.
    Something being very popular or successful shouldn't impact someone's opinion on it in any way, whether they like or dislike it. Wrasslin' fans should just learn to deal with the condescending attitude by now because non-fans are never gonna see it as anything but silly entertainment.

  25. #25
    I BITE! iNCY's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    12,595

    Default Re: CNBC Knocks Wrestling Fans

    The beauty of the WWE network is that is costs nothing to produce, the content is already there and already paid for.
    They already have an editing team etc. It's basically money for nothing.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •