Thread: How are these guys considered "independent contractors"??

Default How are these guys considered "independent contractors"??

When they are signed exclusively to a contract?? They dictate when you work, where you work, etc.. but only considered "independent" when the subject of retirement and medical bills etc.. are brought up

Banned

Default Re: How are these guys considered "independent contractors"??

That's what Raven said. Him and some others guys lost in court arguing it. WWE might know what they're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Ventura, 2010
    But I got in trouble because after I went on RAW, I went on other shows and spoke about how wrestling in still in the dark ages. They still have no benefits, they’re still called "independent contractors," which I find laughable. You wanna talk conspiracy? How is it that McMahon is able to get away with calling you an "independent contractor" when you’re signed to an exclusive contract. You can’t work for anyone else, and so he doesn’t have to pay Social Security. You gotta pay self-employment tax, which is 15%. There’s a good conspiracy for you."
    The governor also calls Vince out on it in his 2012 shoot interview. What Vince does is damn near illegal.
    It's showtime, folks!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Slushy View Post
    What Vince does is damn near illegal.
    Not damn near enough apparently.

Why does it matter though? It is not like these guys are getting into this without knowing wrestling does not pay social security or health insurance? Never hear about wrestling complaining that WCW did not pay social security or ECW did not pay for healthcare.

Flowers gathered in the morning,
    Afternoon they blossom on,
    Still are withered by the evening:
    You can be me when I'm gone.

They do risk their bodies for the industry. At the very least their medical bills should be covered while under contract. A lot of these guys like Rey Mysterio have to have bills that are sky high after all the surgeries and rehabilitations.

-Fresh Prince-
    Chief Ass Whooper of Sorry Sons of Bitches! - Stone Cold Steve Austin

PW Tag Team Champion!! HilaryFan's Avatar

Yeah the messed up health care system you guys have over there is pretty much the number one reason I would never try to break into the industry even if I had the skills and the look for it

At least over here if I break my leg when still green, it's going to get fixed and it's not going to bankrupt me and kill my dream before it's even started. Do Those pesky insurance companies go anywhere near Pro Wrestlers or is it just really expensive?

( ?_?) - 97% of PW suddenly think Michael Cole is awesome. If you're part of the 3% that still thinks he is an annoying tool, copy & paste this into your sig.

Currently Playing: Suikoden 1, Max Payne 1, Beyond Good and Evil, MGS Peace Walker

It's not like you can't purchase your own insurance or that the E is the only employer that doesn't offer healthcare benefits to their employees. I've been in situations before where I had to purchase my own insurance. If you shop around you can get decent coverage fairly cheap. I'm sure it would be a little different for someone in a high risk profession such as wrestling. They probably have fairly high deductables. That being said, I don't know how these guys can still be labelled as independent contractors if they are truly exclusive to the E. The thing is that Lawler wrestles on the Indy's and so does Booker T. So, I wouldn't be surprised if the contracts only preclude them from wrestling for other televised promotions but don't preclude them from wrestling anywhere else. That's just my speculation. It would technically allow them to wrestle elsewhere but why would they? They pay on an indy show on the side wouldn't be worth the hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by thedude View Post
    They do risk their bodies for the industry. At the very least their medical bills should be covered while under contract. A lot of these guys like Rey Mysterio have to have bills that are sky high after all the surgeries and rehabilitations.
    They're paid enough to buy health insurance and what people fail to realise is that "contractor" involves "contracts" you sign it, you live by it.
    Why should I feel sorry for someone who snorts their wage rather than investing?

Now residing in the 256 BestInThe205's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Engel View Post
    Never hear about wrestling complaining that WCW did not pay social security or ECW did not pay for healthcare.
    No, but it damn sure was brought up with TNA with Jesse Sorrenson and Zema Ion. There was quite the uproar over that.
    (Mucho credit to Bender)

Not really. It's just a tax issue. Instead of Vince paying tue company share, yhey get the full contract and have to pay the tax on it themselves. It's no big deal. Doesnt change health coverage, benefits, etc. As long as they are written into the original contract.
    I've done independant contract work quite a bit doing programming, Admining websites/games, etc.. As long as you can manage money, there is nothing to it. Not as big a deal as people make it out to be and affects the terms of the contract not one bit.

Let me expand a little. While under contract, if the company offers healthcare, you are blanketed under their policy as terms of your contract, paying all premiums and co-pays as any other W-2 filed employee. If you decline coverage or they don't offer it, thats on you for accepting the terms. Again, mountain out of a molehill.
    Last edited by StunVKMcmahon; 01-13-2014 at 10:04 AM.
    [I]
    Taker, one of the greatest Legends in History
    Forever A Warrior
    Shout out to Bender for the Sig.

It's not a big deal at all. Wrestlers can just write it off as a business expense if they're independent contractors.

Any injuries picked up while performing or training will be covered by WWE contractually. So the wrestlers have some kind of cover anyway.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    It's not a big deal at all. Wrestlers can just write it off as a business expense if they're independent contractors.

Any injuries picked up while performing or training will be covered by WWE contractually. So the wrestlers have some kind of cover anyway.
    Was gonna say I thought I remembered reading a DBry interview a while back where he said having med covered was the best part of being in WWE.

Yeah, a lot of engineers work contractually that way. They are signed on f9r a project, and for the life of the project(or until they get layed off), they are covered like any other full-time employee. After the contract expires, they either re-sign or they don't, at which time all benefits cease under the terms. It's a tough way to live umless you get multi-year deals, but it's the way of tye world nowadays.
    [I]
    Taker, one of the greatest Legends in History
    Forever A Warrior
    Shout out to Bender for the Sig.

Thread Information