Thread: The Judgment-Free Questions Thread

vCash
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Judgment-Free Questions Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
    Any tennis fans out there? Information required! I've been watching little bits of the French Open and notice some little things that seem odd to me.

1. Why does every single tennis player bounce the ball five or six times before serving?
    2. Sometimes I see the ballboys toss two or three balls to a player. The player examines the balls and may toss one back. What is that all about?
    1. For most players bouncing is part of the routine. You can practice serving by yourself and it is exactly the same (minus the pressure) as when you are in a match. Physically, it has nothing to do with your opponent (whereas with groundstrokes, they are dependent upon where you were, where your opponent has hit the ball and with what spin and power, how far you have had to run, etc.). It is just part of doing that same routine you have done hundreds of thousands of times. Djokovic has exploited it before, but there were times where it seemed like it may have been a tic for him. He would bounce the ball until he felt comfortable and for a while it was averaging around 20 and I remember once counting him bounce the ball 34 times before serving. Similar to players in other sports developing tics, like in golf where they can be down on the ball forever before feeling comfortable to hit the shot.

2. The typical player answer will be to take the least fluffy and most fluffy ball from the three - the least fluffy to be used on the first serve so that it travels through the air faster and the most fluffy for the safer, spinnier, second serve so that it will take the spin better. I think it is more of a psychological thing than having any noticeable difference.

Beat the Devil out of it Leper Messiah's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since there is an all star games thread, and most of us dislike byte pro bowl, to those that do watch it, why do watch it?

They still play defense? The Real LT's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Leper Messiah View Post
    Since there is an all star games thread, and most of us dislike byte pro bowl, to those that do watch it, why do watch it?
    Because for all the joke the game has become, that game still represents the very best athletes in pro football, and you still can catch some breathtaking highlights.

Last year's Pro Bowl was actually pretty decent as well, there was actual HITTING for once.

Despite all that though, I still think the game needs to be canned. Football is different from other sports in that the risk of injury is so much higher, and no one wants to fuck their career over in what is essentially a meaningless game.

vCash
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What if the Pro Bowl had some "skills competitions" like the NBA and NHL All-star Games do?

Like punt, pass & kick, but at the pro level.

Anyway, my question goes to the hockeynistas.

For the life of me, I cannot get the rules for Icing. What is icing?
    Quote Originally Posted by mx518
    he's one of the biggest smarks on this board and epitomizes everything that a smark actually is.
    Quote Originally Posted by mx518 View Post
    No, it's just called being realistic; I never thought I'd see DJM join the dark side.
    NOBODY PUTS BABY IN A CORNER!

Beat the Devil out of it Leper Messiah's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Djm View Post
    What if the Pro Bowl had some "skills competitions" like the NBA and NHL All-star Games do?

Like punt, pass & kick, but at the pro level.

Anyway, my question goes to the hockeynistas.

For the life of me, I cannot get the rules for Icing. What is icing?
    They used to do stuff like that. Not just the QB competition, but other stuff like kickers playing horse with field goals and what not. They should bring that back.

Also, I'm not a hockey aficionado, but I think icing is intentionally stalling the puck in any fashion. You'll have to wait for a hockey fan to answer that though.

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whoops, forgot to check this for a while.

Refer to this picture if you need to:

Spoiler

Icing the puck is when a player shoots it from their own end of the ice (behind the centre line) and it goes untouched past the other team's goal line (red line stretching from one side to the other marking the goal). When this happens the play is blown dead and the puck comes back to the zone of the team that "iced" the puck. A face off occurs at one of the big circles on either side of that team's goal and the team that iced the puck is not allowed to make a line change (the other team is).

Up until last year, the puck had to be touched by the defensive team once the puck crossed their goal line in order for icing to be called (anyone but the goalie, that is). Too many people were getting hurt in races to the puck, so the rule changed to what is referred to as "hybrid icing." If there is a race for the puck between two players, the referee has to decide who has an advantage and decide on icing from there. If the defending team is closer to touching the puck, he'll blow the whistle and call it off. If the other team (the team that shot it down the ice in the first place) is closer, icing will be waved off and play will continue.

If you are on a penalty kill you are allowed to ice the puck as much as you want without stopping play. You can only get called for icing if you are at full strength.

Space Invaders Champion! Hexxagon Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2

vCash
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why is basketball in the summer Olympics if it is usually played through the winter?
    If all of mankind minus one were of of one opinion, and only one person of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
    -John Stuart Mill

vCash
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because it's not played on ice or snow.

vCash
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HR View Post
    Because it's not played on ice or snow.
    It still makes no sense to me, but that's probably the best explanation I'll ever get.
    If all of mankind minus one were of of one opinion, and only one person of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
    -John Stuart Mill

vCash
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also because both the NBA and NCAA seasons take place in the winter and they aren't going to give up that much money every four years for some silly olympics.

Not too mention in places that actually have seasons , basketball is more of a summer sport played outside. I know in Wisconsin organized basketball was played in the winter but we were playing on the courts in town and all school all summer long. I imagine a lot of places are the same way.

Tetris Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

vCash
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry for a slightly big bump, to be honest I wasn't sure whether to put this in VG or Sports but it is a sport related question.

I was just playing an MLB game, my team was up 9-0 in the 8th inning with 2 outs. My guy is maxed out on speed so I stole 3rd after hitting a double, game raked me over the coals on commentary and the 3rd base coach or whoever they are was losing their shit at me.

Why?

A ton and a half of credit to Rad for this superb artwork

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz
    I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am than love me for something i'm not
    Days Oncall has left to use his MITB Contract: 300-ish

vCash
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its a forbidden rule to steal a base when up 9, it comes off as the fact that you are trying to run up the score, especially when the opposition is simply trying to get 3 outs to get out of the inning that late in the game. Doesn't mean it isn't illegal but it is the equivalent of running up the score on a team down by a large margin in NFL, yeah one can say its a game of professionals but if a team on that day simply has no answer and just want to get out of the game without any injuries(Hence the mass subs on defense) or more devastation, a lot of coaches would get mad at a team simply firing at will knowing full well the other team has no answer.

While I don't agree with it, your team probably gets mad at that stat padding attempt since it means retaliation would come to you if not someone else on your team for that. Trying that on a much closer margin could hurt your team when attempting to jump at 3B with the speed your player has with 2 outs.

You also risk pulling up limp or hurting yourself for something relatively meaningless(But big comebacks have happened!) so if you go on the DL for something like that, a lot of people will be pissed on your team!

With 2 outs and you being at 2B, a good hit single better get your ass home so barring a wild pitch or passed ball, its meaningless with 2 outs to do that anyhow with you being such a fast player.
    Last edited by Blindy; 07-06-2016 at 10:01 AM.
    Currently Playing:
    Cosmic Star Heroine(PS4), Rocket League(PS4), Steins;Gate 0(PS4)

vCash
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why is baseball called the World Series when only American and Canadian cities take part?
    What the big deal about American football its only Rugby with pads, and just another sport that only Americans like and the rest of the world cant be bothered about

They still play defense? The Real LT's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What the big deal about American football its only Rugby with pads, and just another sport that only Americans like and the rest of the world cant be bothered about
    A common misconception.

Fun Fact. American Football at one point was played without pads and equipment as well. The pads were brought because injury and deaths were too high without them.

Simply put, Football is far more violent game than Rugby. One the movement in football is more North/South than Rugby, where as Rugby features more lateral movement. As a result, football has a lot more head on collisons. Players in Rugby also have to worry less about blind side hits. Most of the hits Rugby players take they can see coming and normally can protect themselves accordingly. Rugby has no equivalent to a QB getting drilled on blindside hit by a defensive end or linebacker, or a receiver getting pasted over the middle by a free safety. Also a lot of the hits that are legal in the NFL are illegal on the Rugby pitch. Football players also tend to be bigger since they don't have to worry about their cardio as much as rugby players do.

On the flip side though, while the hits in Rugby tend not to be as violent, on the average rugby players tend to take a lot more of them during a game, and with less stoppage in play.
    Last edited by The Real LT; 01-04-2017 at 08:33 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Kid View Post
    Why is baseball called the World Series when only American and Canadian cities take part?
    I've always found it strangely ironic that the MLB has the World Series when only American and Canadian teams are involved..They could call it The North American Series but then it wouldn't sound as grand..Hence why I think they stuck with the World Series tagline...Though I've never really liked baseball that much...

As to American football, since American football only exists due to rugby existing, I think it's interesting you draw that parallel..From what I understand, American football came about in the New England area during the 1800s because Americans simply wanted their own version of rugby....Now over a century later, it eventually evolved into the NFL today..

When I was a kid, I liked watching the 49ers...Jerry Rice was a helluva player, not only breaking records but setting and breaking his own records countless times....Though, since the last decade or so, the NFL's become pretty boring to watch, for me..I'll tune in now and then but for the most part, the game is needlessly slowed down these days...If any little infraction happens, everyone's gotta get right back into position and try to set up another play..Another thing that bothered me about American football is that the actual time the game's being played with passes being thrown, runs covered, etc is pretty short..It usually doesn't last more than a minute...There's exceptions but still...

Which brings to 2010 when I started to watch rugby..I understand rugby pretty well, considering how complex the rules of it are...I like watching it way more than the NFL..One of the main reasons is that gameplay can last for minutes on end unless a knock-on happens, a forward pass is thrown, or something of that nature happens...I love how cerebral, yet brutal rugby is...The players largely have to think on the fly when they're playing, unlike in American football where the coach is on the sidelines screaming at the players at what play to run next. To me, rugby is also a huge psychological test for players..In this context-since rugby players play without pads, they have to walk off the hits they do take(especially if they're on a team going against say, Fiji or Georgia). Not to mention that unlike the NFL, the players can't call timeouts in rugby, since only the ref has the authority to do that. I've always been curious to see how some NFL players in their prime would've done on an elite rugby team such as The New Zealand All Blacks or the Springboks...

This brings me back to Jerry Rice...I think that he was one of the most in-shape, (as far as cardio is concerned) NFL players I've ever seen play...Now, if Rice went to the All Blacks for say, a half decade during his prime, he'd easily be a left or right winger with a #11 or #14 jersey on..He'd still be setting and breaking his own records, like he did in the NFL. I say that in part because Rice's position(wide receiver) in the NFL is the closest equivalent to the left or right wing position in the backfield in a rugby test match. I really can't think of that many NFL players who could've excelled in rugby and won championships but Rice is at the top of the list there.

vCash
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soulblazed View Post
    I've always found it strangely ironic that the MLB has the World Series when only American and Canadian teams are involved..They could call it The North American Series but then it wouldn't sound as grand..Hence why I think they stuck with the World Series tagline...Though I've never really liked baseball that much...

As to American football, since American football only exists due to rugby existing, I think it's interesting you draw that parallel..From what I understand, American football came about in the New England area during the 1800s because Americans simply wanted their own version of rugby....Now over a century later, it eventually evolved into the NFL today..

When I was a kid, I liked watching the 49ers...Jerry Rice was a helluva player, not only breaking records but setting and breaking his own records countless times....Though, since the last decade or so, the NFL's become pretty boring to watch, for me..I'll tune in now and then but for the most part, the game is needlessly slowed down these days...If any little infraction happens, everyone's gotta get right back into position and try to set up another play..Another thing that bothered me about American football is that the actual time the game's being played with passes being thrown, runs covered, etc is pretty short..It usually doesn't last more than a minute...There's exceptions but still...

Which brings to 2010 when I started to watch rugby..I understand rugby pretty well, considering how complex the rules of it are...I like watching it way more than the NFL..One of the main reasons is that gameplay can last for minutes on end unless a knock-on happens, a forward pass is thrown, or something of that nature happens...I love how cerebral, yet brutal rugby is...The players largely have to think on the fly when they're playing, unlike in American football where the coach is on the sidelines screaming at the players at what play to run next. To me, rugby is also a huge psychological test for players..In this context-since rugby players play without pads, they have to walk off the hits they do take(especially if they're on a team going against say, Fiji or Georgia). Not to mention that unlike the NFL, the players can't call timeouts in rugby, since only the ref has the authority to do that. I've always been curious to see how some NFL players in their prime would've done on an elite rugby team such as The New Zealand All Blacks or the Springboks...

This brings me back to Jerry Rice...I think that he was one of the most in-shape, (as far as cardio is concerned) NFL players I've ever seen play...Now, if Rice went to the All Blacks for say, a half decade during his prime, he'd easily be a left or right winger with a #11 or #14 jersey on..He'd still be setting and breaking his own records, like he did in the NFL. I say that in part because Rice's position(wide receiver) in the NFL is the closest equivalent to the left or right wing position in the backfield in a rugby test match. I really can't think of that many NFL players who could've excelled in rugby and won championships but Rice is at the top of the list there.
    To be honest I didn't think I would get this kind of reply, you my friend are a very knowledgeable cat, every day is a learning day

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Chaos Kid I appreciate that! I understand non Americans' gripes about the NFL, hence I enjoyed answering your question..Now I got a question for you....How similar/different are the rules of baseball and cricket?

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Real LT View Post
    A common misconception.

Fun Fact. American Football at one point was played without pads and equipment as well. The pads were brought because injury and deaths were too high without them.

Simply put, Football is far more violent game than Rugby. One the movement in football is more North/South than Rugby, where as Rugby features more lateral movement. As a result, football has a lot more head on collisons. Players in Rugby also have to worry less about blind side hits. Most of the hits Rugby players take they can see coming and normally can protect themselves accordingly. Rugby has no equivalent to a QB getting drilled on blindside hit by a defensive end or linebacker, or a receiver getting pasted over the middle by a free safety. Also a lot of the hits that are legal in the NFL are illegal on the Rugby pitch. Football players also tend to be bigger since they don't have to worry about their cardio as much as rugby players do.

On the flip side though, while the hits in Rugby tend not to be as violent, on the average rugby players tend to take a lot more of them during a game, and with less stoppage in play.
    You bring up some good points on the history of American football and the north/south movement...Part of the reason why rugby's got no equivalent to a QB getting drilled on a blindside hit is because there's no QB position in rugby..You're right about the types of hits that aren't legal in rugby but are in the NFL...Though at the same time, I dunno if you've watched some recent test matches featuring Fiji or Georgia but as much as I love watching those 2 teams play, there are some high tackles that would be legal in the NFL that goes down in those test matches. Sometimes the players don't get caught but what can ya do there?

If anything I think we're the only Americans on PW who can actually compare/contrast American football and rugby with non American posters. I respect you for that.

vCash
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When the series started in 1903, there were no other countries playing the game. There were multiple leagues that were largely independent of each other before this (the American League, American Association,Player's Association, National League, Federal League, and Union Association were all considered major leagues [alongside a crapload of leagues that were considered minor]). When two of them were able to negotiate a series between their champions, (this had been attempted before, but the players weren't wild about playing extra games against other leagues ) it was a big deal. Since only one country played the game, that country's championship could be considered a world championship, which is a lot easier to excite both players and fans than a national championship or an interleague championship.

Even though the game expanded (between the two leagues involved in 1903 there were 2 teams outside of the Northern East Coast/ Great Lakes regions of the United States and both were from St. Louis) beyond the United States, the billing power and tradition of the name "World Series" stuck around.
    -John Stuart Mill

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can someone please explain to me off sides in soccer so I can finally figure out what the fuck I'm doing wrong in this god damn video game!?

vCash
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JPC View Post
    Can someone please explain to me off sides in soccer so I can finally figure out what the fuck I'm doing wrong in this god damn video game!?
    If a player from the team A is ahead of the last defender of the team B when the ball is being kicked,then that player of team A is caught offside.If this player has scored a goal while he was offside,it isn't considered.

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If a player from the team A is ahead of the last defender of the team B when the ball is being kicked,then that player of team A is caught offside.If this player has scored a goal while he was offside,it isn't considered.
    Thanks but its a stupid rule. What exactly is stopping the last defender from standing still and letting the offense run past him while kicking the ball?

vCash
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JPC View Post
    Thanks but its a stupid rule. What exactly is stopping the last defender from standing still and letting the offense run past him while kicking the ball?
    Nothing, that's known as playing the "offside trap" and is a genuine tactic employed by defenders. It isn't without it's risks though, because all it takes is one defender to not be holding the line correctly and the opposing forward can be let through on goal.

Here's an example of it being executed to perfect from a dead ball situation:

Tetris Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

vCash
    Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why given everything we now know about college athletes, in particular how poor they're treated by NCAA, why are college basketball and football still so popular?

A ton and a half of credit to Rad for this superb artwork

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz
    I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am than love me for something i'm not
    Days Oncall has left to use his MITB Contract: 300-ish

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Oncall one of the chief reasons that college basketball/football are popular are because from what I've seen when I've watched them and also when I asked other people the same question, this was a common response-"college athletes play with more passion/vigor than the NFL/NBA athletes do". I mean, I can see that(especially when it comes to college football).

Then there's also rivalries which stretch back generations and divide families/towns against each other, especially between Michigan and Ohio, along with Alabama, Louisiana and Mississippi for college football, plenty of basketball rivalries in North Carolina, among others. Yet despite all the devotion to college basketball/football, they play for free. None of them make any $ at all, which you've alluded to.

To expand on your very true statement of college athletes being fucked over, you should definitely watch these videos

This question's for any Canadian PW posters who like curling..What're the rules in general and can there be a tie in the game?(unlike basketball, for instance where a tie is impossible).

Thread Information