Beat the Devil out of it Leper Messiah's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Judgment-Free Questions Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    There's a lot of talk that the Quebec Nordiques are going to come back. All the suits on TV seem to think it'll happen sooner rather than later, but they also said the Coyotes would be gone from the league by now, so who knows?

There are a number of reasons why there aren't more teams in Canada, depending on who you ask. Some will tell you it's because Gary Bettman has a huge boner for the United States and their money, which to an extent is true, but not the sole reason.

Saskatchewan is a tough market because of the lack of population and interest, and also because it would negatively affect other established teams that have fans there. You throw a team in Saskatchewan and if they are profitable (which they probably wouldn't be), then you're cutting away at the profits of Calgary, Edmonton & Winnipeg (and hell, the other Canadian teams too, but to a lesser extent). The NHL tested the waters recently by having preseason games played in Saskatoon and it was a massive failure. The city basically begged people to go to the game to show the league they could support a team and it didn't work.

As for Hamilton or another southern Ontario team, you run the same problem of teams having a monopoly on a certain area. The Maple Leafs organization is never going to sign off on sharing an area code with another NHL team, and it's likely Ottawa and Buffalo would fight it too. Again, there are rumors that another Toronto team could happen sooner rather than later, but I honestly think it's a pipedream.

Basically it comes down to there being 1/10 the population up here, and the fact that the majority of Canadian NHL fans are already dedicated to a team and wouldn't spend the money it takes to help a new team survive.
    I see. The population thing makes sense. I also didn't know if travel play into it. I know Tampa Bay flying to play Vancouver would be a long ass trip, so I could only imagine a team flying from L.A. up to, say, Halifax to play.

They still play defense? The Real LT's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could talk forever on this subject but I'll stop for now to keep the discussion going. If anyone has further questions by all means.

EDIT: Fun fact in the Vancouver/Calgary fight..Kellan Lain, who was playing in his first NHL game for Vancouver, flew his family out from Ontario for the game. He was one of the players ejected for this fight. Played 2 seconds, received 10 penalty minutes and didn't play at all.
    Did he really just try and hit that dude with his stick? What a bitch...his man card is pulled for life.....

vCash
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know hockey has different styles such as puck possession,fast pace and defensive hockey. My question is what does a coach do from a strategy standpoint. If said coach is a defensive coach how does he counter a fast paced team or a puck possession team and vice versa?

Props to surrender for the great banner.

Cereal Killer

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I know hockey has different styles such as puck possession,fast pace and defensive hockey. My question is what does a coach do from a strategy standpoint. If said coach is a defensive coach how does he counter a fast paced team or a puck possession team and vice versa?
    Every coach implements a system. Some are defensive minded and some are offensive minded...etc. Just like Football, but to a lesser extent. There are many less coaches and they handle different aspects of the game...Offense/Defense/Power Play/Penalty Kill/Goaltending...etc. For example: Claude Julien for the Bruins, his system is all about two way play for the forwards. Each forward, also has to be responsible defensively...which is why they traded both Tyler Seguin and Phil Kessel in the past handful of years...both of whom were in the top 5 in scoring this past season, but weren't exactly responsible defensive minded players to go with their great offensive talents.

There are multiple strategies for each offense/defense...etc.

vCash
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two questions, similar, but about two American sports.

1. The NFL, by and large, seems to have a serious aversion to running offenses similar to the college game. Quarterbacks that aren't afraid to run, halfbacks and fullbacks, plays with shenanigans. Why is that? Why does the NFL seem so very set on a pocket passer and one running back and why has it seemed that way for so long?

2. NCAA Basketball and the NBA are often criticized by fans of one or the other for being so different from each other, positively or negatively. Exactly what are the differences?

And a larger question...why are fans and crowds so much different in college sports than they in pro sports? I'm not a huge sportsball guy in general, but I see Michigan and MSU football and basketball and OMG SO MUCH HYPE~!!! And this is like most college sports. And crowds aren't nearly as excited in the pros. Why is that?
    Quote Originally Posted by mx518
    he's one of the biggest smarks on this board and epitomizes everything that a smark actually is.
    Quote Originally Posted by mx518 View Post
    No, it's just called being realistic; I never thought I'd see DJM join the dark side.
    NOBODY PUTS BABY IN A CORNER!

vCash
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The NBA gets a bad rap for players being selfish. Adversely college sports is team oriented with pageantry with players giving their all every time out.

Props to surrender for the great banner.

Space Invaders Champion! Hexxagon Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2

vCash
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Djm View Post
    Two questions, similar, but about two American sports.

1. The NFL, by and large, seems to have a serious aversion to running offenses similar to the college game. Quarterbacks that aren't afraid to run, halfbacks and fullbacks, plays with shenanigans. Why is that? Why does the NFL seem so very set on a pocket passer and one running back and why has it seemed that way for so long?

And a larger question...why are fans and crowds so much different in college sports than they in pro sports? I'm not a huge sportsball guy in general, but I see Michigan and MSU football and basketball and OMG SO MUCH HYPE~!!! And this is like most college sports. And crowds aren't nearly as excited in the pros. Why is that?
    1st: The worst player in the NFL was a star in college. And I don't mean the guy you're probably thinking of; I mean a guy on the practice squad- he was a star in college. The defensive players are faster, stronger, and better conditioned in the NFL than in college. Mobile quarterbacks can go the NFL, but they won't last for a long time given the hits they inevitably take. There is a similar answer to the trick play question. Defenses can recover faster and without having to study, can dedicate more time to game film- discouraging anybody from trying a trick more than once.

As far as the second question I quoted goes, a partial answer is loyalty. Professional teams can leave. Colleges tend to stay in one spot. It is easier to be loyal to a team that isn't constantly demanding a bigger subsidy or they'll go to another city.

Another answer is association. I attend LSU, so it is easy for me to cheer for them. I have a lot of relatives who have attended McNeese St, so I can cheer for them. Some of my best friends went to Southeastern Louisiana University, so I can cheer for the Lions. I have a cousin who went to Texas A&M, so I can cheer for anybody who plays against them. I don't know anybody associated with a professional team.

A third factor is reward. Almost half of the teams in the NCAA basketball tournament did so by winning a conference tournament: which allowed almost anybody to have a shot. Ditto for baseball next month. A football team needs only to win half of their games to get a postseason game. In the professional leagues, the postseason typically consists of series so one lucky game doesn't automatically get you farther- the very thing that makes the better team more likely to win makes the underdog fans less likely to be enthusiastic about each play.

Perhaps the most important factor though, goes back to your first question. Because only the best of the best make the top professional leagues, they can not do some of the trick plays and grand traditions of the college ranks. The potential of something crazy happening makes the game more interesting for the loyal fans with a stake in the game, who may get to see just a little more if this game goes the right way.
    If all of mankind minus one were of of one opinion, and only one person of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
    -John Stuart Mill

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Slug View Post
    1st: The worst player in the NFL was a star in college. And I don't mean the guy you're probably thinking of; I mean a guy on the practice squad- he was a star in college. The defensive players are faster, stronger, and better conditioned in the NFL than in college. Mobile quarterbacks can go the NFL, but they won't last for a long time given the hits they inevitably take. There is a similar answer to the trick play question. Defenses can recover faster and without having to study, can dedicate more time to game film- discouraging anybody from trying a trick more than once.

As far as the second question I quoted goes, a partial answer is loyalty. Professional teams can leave. Colleges tend to stay in one spot. It is easier to be loyal to a team that isn't constantly demanding a bigger subsidy or they'll go to another city.

Another answer is association. I attend LSU, so it is easy for me to cheer for them. I have a lot of relatives who have attended McNeese St, so I can cheer for them. Some of my best friends went to Southeastern Louisiana University, so I can cheer for the Lions. I have a cousin who went to Texas A&M, so I can cheer for anybody who plays against them. I don't know anybody associated with a professional team.

A third factor is reward. Almost half of the teams in the NCAA basketball tournament did so by winning a conference tournament: which allowed almost anybody to have a shot. Ditto for baseball next month. A football team needs only to win half of their games to get a postseason game. In the professional leagues, the postseason typically consists of series so one lucky game doesn't automatically get you farther- the very thing that makes the better team more likely to win makes the underdog fans less likely to be enthusiastic about each play.

Perhaps the most important factor though, goes back to your first question. Because only the best of the best make the top professional leagues, they can not do some of the trick plays and grand traditions of the college ranks. The potential of something crazy happening makes the game more interesting for the loyal fans with a stake in the game, who may get to see just a little more if this game goes the right way.
    I agree with this post. While the product in the NBA and NFL is better than their college counterparts, I still fall in love with the atmosphere that exists at collegiate games. Also many fans of the college games are actually alumni of their specific team/college, so they feel a stronger connection to it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do American sports have to be so slow?!

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clock stoppages, with basketball I can't say what stops the clock, don't watch it, but with football the clock stops after every incomplete pass, so the more missed passes, the longer the clock doesn't run between plays, doesn't necessarily slow the game, just extends the real time game time.

It also stops on punts and kick-offs, this I think has do to with commercials, they could certainly expedite it otherwise, also, each team gets 3 time outs a half, and then the game does actually slow when reviews pop-up, most of the time these take a few minutes, but every now and then they become ridiculous because of blunders by the officials or technical troubles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dynamite
    Sometimes a terrible idea is the best idea you got, and one thing I've learned, is always go with the best idea you got.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Baseball/Bryce Harper question...

I see things like this:

Since 1900, just three players produced more wins above replacement — the catch-all metric FanGraphs.com uses to measure a player’s total contribution — before turning 21 than Harper: Mel Ott, Ty Cobb and Al Kaline.
    or

Here are the players in MLB history with more homers than Harper before age 21: Mel Ott, Tony C.
    Plus, all the hype behind Harper when he came into the league as some phenom. Yet, I hear people say that unquestionably, Mike Trout is the best in the league; it's the Mike Trout era. I can't square away these two things. How can Harper be seemingly doing historic, once-in-a-lifetime-type-of-player things at his age by these baseball metrics, yet not be the "best in the league"? Or is this, to use a wrestling analogy, two once-in-a-lifetime-type-of-players playing at the same time, like Austin and Rock were active at the same time?

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RagnarokMike View Post
    Clock stoppages, with basketball I can't say what stops the clock, don't watch it, but with football the clock stops after every incomplete pass, so the more missed passes, the longer the clock doesn't run between plays, doesn't necessarily slow the game, just extends the real time game time.

It also stops on punts and kick-offs, this I think has do to with commercials, they could certainly expedite it otherwise, also, each team gets 3 time outs a half, and then the game does actually slow when reviews pop-up, most of the time these take a few minutes, but every now and then they become ridiculous because of blunders by the officials or technical troubles.
    To add to the basketball portion of this (I don't watch as much as I used to, which was every Bulls game that was on for most of Jordan's career):

There aren't a lot of reasons to call a timeout during the first 3 quarters of a basketball game. Unless your team is getting dismantled and everything is going wrong and you need a stoppage to get them focused, you save all your timeouts for the end of the game when you're (more than likely) going to be within a few points of one another and the game is on the line.

Along with that, rather than give the other team a chance at a break or an open shot/opportunity to make a play, you typically foul the other team and force them to earn their two points at the line. These strategies saved for the end of the game usually make the last few minutes of the 4th quarter take up a good chunk of the actual game time. A big reason why non-basketball fans are quick to say "the only part of the game that matters is the last 5 minutes."

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Any tennis fans out there? Information required! I've been watching little bits of the French Open and notice some little things that seem odd to me.

1. Why does every single tennis player bounce the ball five or six times before serving?
    2. Sometimes I see the ballboys toss two or three balls to a player. The player examines the balls and may toss one back. What is that all about?

vCash
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The first one is probably just a rhythm/gathering your composure thing before the serve. Serving is all about balance etc. but there are obviously players like Djokovic who exploit it as a time-wasting or distraction technique. Second one is similar, just a chance to catch your breath and get it together in between points. I think it's something they could have quite easily stopped the players doing - they play with the balls for seven games, I'm pretty sure they're all perfectly fine.

vCash
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also like with a baseball, I guess there might be some superstition and if you aren't comfortable with the feel of the ball, you opt for another one.
    Currently Playing:
    Cosmic Star Heroine(PS4), Rocket League(PS4), Steins;Gate 0(PS4)

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HR View Post
    Serving is all about balance etc. but there are obviously players like Djokovic who exploit it as a time-wasting or distraction technique.
    Interesting. I didn't know that! I'll have to pay attention to his matches

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Hart View Post
    I agree with this post. While the product in the NBA and NFL is better than their college counterparts, I still fall in love with the atmosphere that exists at collegiate games. Also many fans of the college games are actually alumni of their specific team/college, so they feel a stronger connection to it.
    Down here in Texas this is even better on the high school level. I took a job covering a local team for a paper. I took the job primarily for the extra money, but during the process of following the team around for a year I fell in love with 2A/3A Texas high school football. It's such a throwback to the old days of football, the 30's-50's when guys would play both offence and defense, also the formations/plays that were used were so old school, the Slot T formation for example. I love that shit. Awesome atmosphere as well. Pure football at it's best imo.

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
    Baseball/Bryce Harper question...

I see things like this:

or

Plus, all the hype behind Harper when he came into the league as some phenom. Yet, I hear people say that unquestionably, Mike Trout is the best in the league; it's the Mike Trout era. I can't square away these two things. How can Harper be seemingly doing historic, once-in-a-lifetime-type-of-player things at his age by these baseball metrics, yet not be the "best in the league"? Or is this, to use a wrestling analogy, two once-in-a-lifetime-type-of-players playing at the same time, like Austin and Rock were active at the same time?
    Harper's not the all around player that Trout is, and this is an era that is judging the all around player differently than previous eras with the advent of advanced statistics that try to measure the importance of the whole player. Both Harper and Trout are crazy great and that we get to see both play like this so young is pretty exciting.

So I guess to answer your question, advanced metrics seem to show that Trout is the better all around player (who was drafted without near the hype of Harper), but that isn't a statement on Bryce Harper also being very good.

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a question about a majority of America and the World Cup.

I personally don't care for soccer, as this don't care about the World Cup. Our country has a good number of soccer fans, and since they like the sport, I get them following the World Cup.

What I don't get is the Americans that don't follow the sport getting into the World Cup. If you won't watch a MLS game, Premiership game, UEFA cup, etc., why would you become a avid soccer fan for one month because your country is in the World Cup. This same theory applies to people that get heavy into US in the Olympics in sports they don't like. I can't pull out my patriotism and chants USA for my country in a sport I don't watch or like. But to those can, what brings that out you?

vCash
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since nobody else has answered you yet, Leper, I will throw in my two cents.

There is something about the biggest event in the sport, and in terms of dollars spent on advertising and numbers watching, the biggest sporting event in the world. It's like people who watch the Super Bowl, but don't consider themselves football fans or people who start watching hockey and basketball when the playoffs start. And don't get me started on tailgaters who don't buy tickets. It is as much about the party as it is about the event itself.

I enjoy soccer, but seldom watch the game on television. For the World Cup, I try to watch every game because it is the best players on the biggest stage at the grandest time for the sport. And I think many non-fans watch it for the same reason.
    If all of mankind minus one were of of one opinion, and only one person of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
    -John Stuart Mill

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't watch soccer, however I agree with slug - the advertising saturation during the World Cup makes it an event that people are talking about in the United States, whereas nobody's talking about the MLS. In fact, a year or so ago Sporting Kansas City was in the MLS playoffs and since I knew a handful of friends interested in the game I decided to check out the score, yet there's nothing about it on ESPN.com. It's as if MLS doesn't exist.

That being said, Kansas City has a good number of soccer fans who go to the matches at Livestrong Park (Well, it's not called that anymore I don't think).

vCash
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do people get so excited for the draft when the players will not be taking the field for months afterwards (this applies to mostly the NFL, but to a lesser extent the NBA)?
    -John Stuart Mill

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Slug View Post
    Why do people get so excited for the draft when the players will not be taking the field for months afterwards (this applies to mostly the NFL, but to a lesser extent the NBA)?
    For many, if your team is bad, it's the hope and excitement that this one guy might be the man to lead your team to the playoffs, or better, a title. If you're team is good, it's seeing what pieces your team will add to try and stay on top. Mostly, it's the "we have a chance" feeling.

vCash
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the World Cup now over, I have some questions about the transfer window. I didn't feel like clogging up the actual thread for it in the Beautiful Game forum. Thanks to whoever helps me out on this.

1. Can players only be bought and sold if they are under contract? If their contract is up are they essentially "free agents" and can sign with whomever for no transfer fee?

2. When being sold to a new club, does the player have to agree to a contract with the new club? Do they get raises or just take on the existing contract?

3. A second part to the previous question, does the player have the final decision before being sold or they're just told of their transfer?

4. During loans, does the team that actually owns the player pay his contract, or does the team that gets to use him pay it?

has a brilliant future VenisMark's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Raven*, I'll answer these for you

Please note though that I will be answering this in a basic fashion and if you want to know the entire ins and outs of things like the bosman ruling and transfer tribunals I can go into more detail. Please just reply and I'll explain those.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven* View Post
    With the World Cup now over, I have some questions about the transfer window. I didn't feel like clogging up the actual thread for it in the Beautiful Game forum. Thanks to whoever helps me out on this.

1. Can players only be bought and sold if they are under contract? If their contract is up are they essentially "free agents" and can sign with whomever for no transfer fee?

2. When being sold to a new club, does the player have to agree to a contract with the new club? Do they get raises or just take on the existing contract?

3. A second part to the previous question, does the player have the final decision before being sold or they're just told of their transfer?

4. During loans, does the team that actually owns the player pay his contract, or does the team that gets to use him pay it?
    1. Yes that's right. A player can only be bought if they are under contract. If a player has 6 months or less left on their contract they may agree a move to another club that will complete when their contract expires, for no transfer fee*.

2. The player would have contract talks with the new club and they along with their agent would negotiate the contract. After the transfer the old contract is null and void*

3. There are cases where the player requests to be sold by submitting a "transfer request" to their current club. Other times the club will try to sell a player but the player may not want to join the team that the fee has been agreed with and can refuse. There are cases where a player may move in order to help their club through financial difficulty.

4. That is agreed by the two clubs. A really big team like a Manchester United for example may loan out players simply for match experience and pay their wages. The percentage amount paid by each club is a part of the loan contract and can range from the parent club paying 100% - 0% of the wages.

I hope that helps,

If you do want information on the asterisked posts feel free to ask and I'll do my best to help

Sen

Thread Information