Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Langston and Ambrose discuss whether unifying the IC and US titles is a good idea

Lightbulb Langston and Ambrose discuss whether unifying the IC and US titles is a good idea

I've alluded to this idea before in a previous post. So I'm 100% in favor of this happening in the foreseeable future. It's about time...

Langston and Ambrose should make it come to fruition at next year's WrestleMania PPV.

We know, we know. You’ve barely gotten used to calling Randy Orton the WWE World Heavyweight Champion, and already WWE.com is stirring the pot with more merger talk. But we can’t help but wonder: Should the United States and Intercontinental Titles be unified?

With WWE’s recent streamlining of the title picture — in addition to the new WWE World Heavyweight Title, both the Divas Title and the WWE Tag Team Championships became the sole representatives of their divisions in 2010 — the Intercontinental and United States Championships remain the only mirror titles in WWE.

Is it time for one championship to rule them all? We weighed the pros and cons, and spoke with both Intercontinental Champion Big E Langston and United States Champion Dean Ambrose to get their opinions.
    http://www.wwe.com/inside/should-wwe...itles-26170268

Default Re: Langston and Ambrose discuss whether unifying the IC and US titles is a good idea

I'd rather they keep them as separate entities, use the IC as a "Huge Push" title and use the US as a "Dead Rubber Jobber" title.
    - Credit: Bender -

Default Re: Langston and Ambrose discuss whether unifying the IC and US titles is a good idea

I'm all for it, for the same reasons as the two world titles needed it. We don't need two, especially when they're both barely defended as it is,

Dean Ambrose is a what champion?
    WWE: IT'S NOT A FANDOM, IT'S A FAMILY
    The Shield on Crack 3 (The End)
    BELIEVE IN AMBROSE
    THE BEST NEWS IS BAD NEWS
    Cena fan for LIFE

Personally, my preference was always for the Intercontinental title to absorb the Untied States title so that only the former exist. I concur with Langston, or he concurs with me.

WWE.COM: So you think a new title should be created to replace the two championships?

AMBROSE: Instead of me lugging around both titles, yeah.

LANGSTON: I wouldn’t say so. I think the Intercontinental Title has so much prestige that I would hate for it to go away. If anything, I think it could absorb the U.S. Title

Just unify all the fu**ing titles already so they can have the WWE World Intercontinental Heavyweight Divas Tag Team Champion.
    It's showtime, folks!

Quote Originally Posted by Slushy View Post
    Just unify all the fu**ing titles already so they can have the WWE World Intercontinental Heavyweight Divas Tag Team Champion.
    I think this is what people want.

But then a month later, some of the people who want one title for each division/card placement will be the same people who want the return of the Hardcore, European, and Light-Heavyweight Championships.

surrender

If they do this then let this happen at WM 30. Build the match up with video promos of past IC and US champions with comments from those champions about what the title means to them.

Honestly I don't really have a preference. All I want is for the the mid-card title holders to be given important, meaningful feuds and better booking. Showcase them on Raw and give them solid placement on PPVs.

Perhaps with one title it would be easier to achieve that. I don't know.
    Credit: Bender

I'd happily unify the titles then, if it meant the tag team division was prominent and actually had feuds for the titles. Not just random pairings such as Mysterio/Show or your Santino/Khali.
    - Credit: Bender -

AMBROSE: "I feel that what I’ve given and sacrificed for the U.S. Title, I’d be willing to put that on the line as a pride thing. It’s just as good as the Intercontinental Title. That’s something I’d be willing to prove."

what now??!!

feels like he's just been holding the damn thing since he won it!
    "Everyone back to my trailer for pot pies and mountain dew" - Kevin Nash

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    I'd rather they keep them as separate entities, use the IC as a "Huge Push" title and use the US as a "Dead Rubber Jobber" title.
    The problem with that is, in the mythology of wrestling, every title must be important.

So even though, as a fan, you can say, "Well, this title is for people who will never be stars ... "

In the mythology of the WWE, you CANNOT say that. Makes no sense to have a belt like that.

Every belt needs a purpose in my opinion. I'm not saying history is on my side here, but I think it should be. The WWE, great as it is, doesn't always score continuity or common sense points.

Quote Originally Posted by Gold Standard View Post
    I'm all for it, for the same reasons as the two world titles needed it. We don't need two, especially when they're both barely defended as it is,
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Slushy View Post
    Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by JACKNIFE View Post
    AMBROSE: "I feel that what I’ve given and sacrificed for the U.S. Title, I’d be willing to put that on the line as a pride thing. It’s just as good as the Intercontinental Title. That’s something I’d be willing to prove."

what now??!!

feels like he's just been holding the damn thing since he won it!
    I agree. Can say the same thing about the shield and the tag belts.

Now residing in the 256 BestInThe205's Avatar

If they were unified at WMXXX it would most likely be the ONLY way those two titles will ever both be on the biggest show of the year. For that reason, yeah, I could go for it, but I still don't really care for the idea of unifying all of the titles.
    (Mucho credit to Bender)

If they unify them, then people here can start demanding the return of the Cruiser, Hardcore and Euro titles without being yelled at that their are already too many damn titles.

The Ultimate Fic'er Competitor: Proud Member of Team RT
    • Round 1 Result: Survived, Team RT MVP (Rebooking WrestleMania XXX)
    • Round 1 Result: Survived (Promo, "Stone Cold" Steve Austin)

[π: WWPID?] ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Now that the 2 main titles have been unified, there's no reason to unify the midcard belts. Now you can actually make those titles mean something again.

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz
    I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am than love me for something i'm not
    Quote Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
    Reigns is more over than most people here are willing to admit.
    Episode 2 of "Sittin down for a chat with Oncall, with special guest EasyRider

Quote Originally Posted by Oncall View Post
    Now that the 2 main titles have been unified, there's no reason to unify the midcard belts. Now you can actually make those titles mean something again.
    Agreed - another option is to have one title per show and have the WWE World Champ go back and forth.

Thanks JV for the artwork!!

I think Ambrose was in character and Langston was speaking from the heart.

Fuck the SF Giants! :) SM(Stardust)'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sillyrabbit View Post
    I don't follow you... I doubt today's fans would clamor for the return of those titles, nor do they've a place in today's WWE. I think Mr. McMahon would concur. Unless the WWE was looking to reestablish a Cruiserweight division. I doubt it.
    People on here have been clamoring for those titles to return for years.

surrender

I don't want the Cruiserweight title to return. That would just pigeonhole several talented competitors into that division. Rey Mysterio was able to branch out further as a superstar but it was usually a death sentence to be placed as a cruiserweight.
    Credit: Bender

Fuck the SF Giants! :) SM(Stardust)'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Show View Post
    I don't want the Cruiserweight title to return. That would just pigeonhole several talented competitors into that division. Rey Mysterio was able to branch out further as a superstar but it was usually a death sentence to be placed as a cruiserweight.
    That has always been my argument to people that want it to return.

surrender

Quote Originally Posted by SM View Post
    People on here have been clamoring for those titles to return for years.

Oh, you must have replied while I was editing my post when I'd a change of thought. Anyways, I don't see why... The Hardcore title was initially meant to be a joke by Mr. McMahon toward Foley. I think that it's unrealistic to have a twenty-four seven title today. It's hard enough to get the WWE writers to defend the mid-card titles. Furthermore, I fail to see the point of bringing back the European and Cruiserweight titles. Actually, I'd entertained the idea of bringing back the Cruiserweight title after Xavier Woods debuted on Raw. However, the European title shouldn't have existed in the first place. If the Intercontinental title defends all of the seven continents, then why would you need a title to defend only the continent of Europe? Likewise, the United States title's exclusive. For instance, would Americans be just as proud of Wade Barrett or Sheamus as the European champion as fans from the UK or Ireland?
    Last edited by sillyrabbit; 12-27-2013 at 02:15 AM.

Banned

I'm just fine with a unification of these two belts as long as Ambrose wins them. Just kidding. If you kept the belt on Ambrose until Mania of next year, where you could unify, you'd have something that matters. Ambrose goes in as the longest reigning US Champ of all time and claims the US title will devour the IC and continue it's lineage only to lose to a newly IC strapped Roman Reigns, you've got something special.

Honestly, I don't get the fascination with Roman Reigns. In my opinion, he's another Ultimate Warrior, Batista, Ezekiel Jackson and Ryback. These guys are limited or one-dimensional powerhouse wrestlers. They're bland...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sillyrabbit View Post
    Honestly, I don't get the fascination with Roman Reigns. In my opinion, he's another Ultimate Warrior, Batista, Ezekiel Jackson and Ryback. These guys are limited or one dimensional powerhouse wrestlers. They're bland...
    Well if you don't get it, you don't get it. I don't think he's god last gift or anything but he's got the look, the in ring ability, and the potential to be something important some day. Not today though. I mean not any more important than he already is today.

I support unification. I would love WWE to go back to one title per division. So, one World Champ, one Women's Champ, one Tag Team Champion, and one Intercontinental Champion.

Speaking of which, I would want a return to the Women's Championship to replace the Diva's Championship. Prop is a prop, but perception is perception.

Thread Information