Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AJ Styles Contract Update

Default AJ Styles Contract Update

Unless something changes over the next few days, AJ Styles will be leaving TNA for the first time since the company was founded in 2002 next week.
    Styles' current contract extension expires on 12/16, PWInsider.com has confirmed. As of 12/17, he is a free agent and has already begun to accept independent bookings via his long-time agent Bill Behrens at Showbis@aol.com.

As PWInsider.com has reported for months, Styles and TNA have been far apart on money. The two sides did not really begin negotiating until Styles' last long-term deal was close to expiring and signed a two month extension in order to continue working together while they attempted to seal a new deal.

Unfortunately, the two sides just couldn't make a deal happen. We have heard that it was a situation where TNA just wasn't able to offer Styles what he had been earning and he, feeling correctly that he had been a big part of the heart and soul of the company, would not agree to take a lesser deal. The situation put both sides in between a rock and a hard place, leading to the breakdown between sides.

In a lot of ways, Styles' exit has sent a bad signal to other TNA "originals" who have deals coming up as the message being sent is that the company, which has been cutting corners, will play hardball financially even at the cost of losing their own homegrown players. Styles was one of the company's legitimate main eventers who had been been with the company as it evolved and matured, becoming the centerpiece for the X-Division before evolving into a legitimate main eventer. While he wasn't the draw that Sting was during Sting's heyday in WCW, Styles was very similar to Sting in that he was closely branded as a TNA star and as someone who was loyal to the company - just as Sting was when World Championship Wrestling existed.

Styles officially finished up with the company last week at the Impact tapings in Orlando, Florida with appearances for episodes that will air in early 2014.

Styles is already moving forward with outside projects. He has an autobiography set to be released in the first quarter of 2014 and will be making an appearance next year as part of a talking tour in the UK. Initial dates for that tour had been announced but the tour will be pushed back as Diamond Dallas Page had already scheduled a similar tour for the same time period and the decision was made that it wasn't right to compete with something already scheduled.
    Via PWInsider.

Uhhhh.

Default Re: AJ Styles Contract Update

Would be a huge loss for TNA but I would love for him to get one run in the WWE.

Saskatchewan Roughriders (9-8)
    Last Game: Loss to Calgary Stampeders [40-27]
    Next Game: VS Edmonton Eskimos (Saturday, November 8)

Montreal Canadiens (7-1-0)
    GO HABS GO!

There isn't a lot of typical dirtsheet speculation in this. Things like the expiration of the contract and future bookings for AJ, this all screams that it's as legit as it can be, coupled with the fact that PWInsider's sources within TNA are as rock-solid as it can get.

And imo, if TNA lets AJ Styles go, they deserve to die.

This better be one hell of an elaborate work.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
    I'll be honest, I'll probably chant CM Punk in Brooklyn again.

I'm a follower.

This will stay in my sig until John Cena vs. The Rock----THRICE AS NICE. Or until I don't think it's funny anymore.

AJ has been the heart and soul of TNA since his debut. Week after week he gave this company his very best. Not giving your most loyal employee the money he deserves is just low. Even for TNA. Samoa Joe and others need to jump off this sinking ship.

I read the spoilers, and I have no faith this is a giant work.

AJ, congrats. You got out before the final tidal wave of garbage came.

Finally AJ realizes he's worth more than what TNA has to offer.

TNA might stick around with Spike and Panda keeping it on life support but, it will never even have a chance to be a legit wrestling organization in the world again. Even WCW, for all it's faults, was smart enough to know that without Sting, WCW wouldn't be worth a damn.

Remember when people stayed On-Topic? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Yeah this better be apart of big work or I'll be pissed.

This looks legitimate and if it does turn out to be, the biggest reason I have for tuning into TNA will be gone. I can't believe they wouldn't pay him what he deserves. Even though i'd love it, i can't see him turning up in WWE anymore given what i've heard about NXT.

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz
    I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am than love me for something i'm not
    Quote Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
    Reigns is more over than most people here are willing to admit.
    Episode 3 of "Sittin down for a chat with Oncall" with special guest Untouchable

TNA has a lot of chumps they could cut loose in an effort to keep AJ, but they aren't willing to do that. I doubt it's a work, because if you've read the spoilers, AJ's appearance was about as final as it could possibly be. They did everything short of kayfabe murdering the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Krimzon View Post
    TNA has a lot of chumps they could cut loose in an effort to keep AJ, but they aren't willing to do that. I doubt it's a work, because if you've read the spoilers, AJ's appearance was about as final as it could possibly be. They did everything short of kayfabe murdering the guy.
    TNA needs to fold up shop then. Wow.

AJ is scheduled for the Dreamwave show in Febuary.

I bet Gabe has already called him for the next EVOLVE shows.

AJ back in ROH would get me watching again.

There has always been something about AJ Styles that I truly dislike, not about his wrestling style but about him personally which rubs me the wrong way that I can't really explain so I can't really call myself a fan but I can admit that he works his ass off week in and week out and puts on some amazing matches so stupid loss on the part of TNA.

I don't understand why the WWE would take a chance on a 43 year old Boogeyman, who I personally fucking love, and not a 36 year old AJ Styles, who can steal the damn show at any time, stupid business by the E if they don't pick him up.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

If this was a work, it's the single worst one ever. Why have a guy go off TV for months, return triumphantly and then lose the title right back, rendering the entire thing pointless.

Not happening. TNA let AJ slip through their fingers. More than anything, this should signal the end.

The Ultimate Fic'er Competitor: Proud Member of Team RT
    • Round 1 Result: Survived, Team RT MVP (Rebooking WrestleMania XXX)
    • Round 1 Result: Survived (Promo, "Stone Cold" Steve Austin)

[π: WWPID?] ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

I can see AJ & TNA reaching a new deal, and AJ coming back probably around Feb time.
    When Boss Lady talked about finding love then moved in close to my face, I thought that entry in my dream journal was about to come true.
    A.J. (@WWEAJLee) September 24, 2013

This is actually hilarious. All these angles TNA have done of Styles defending the belt in other promotions, the "friends of AJ" adverts, etc... and now they're going to let him go? how fucking stupid is this company, seriously? Words don't do justice to their idiocy if this is true. They tried to recreate Punk's leaving storyline AND ARE ACTUALLY LETTING THE GUY LEAVE.

"I've seen a million people die, it's up to us to stop the war."

Quote Originally Posted by milopo View Post
    I don't understand why the WWE would take a chance on a 43 year old Boogeyman, who I personally fucking love, and not a 36 year old AJ Styles, who can steal the damn show at any time, stupid business by the E if they don't pick him up.
    I don't think it's necessarily a case of stupid business. I don't believe AJ would go to WWE. Ever. But if he does in some miracle way, the E wouldn't use him as a 'main eventer' he would be stuck in mid-card.

Personally I think he's a good worker and does deserve a top spot, but he wouldn't get that in WWE. Maybe a minor push then that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by totalbriemode View Post
    I don't think it's necessarily a case of stupid business. I don't believe AJ would go to WWE. Ever. But if he does in some miracle way, the E wouldn't use him as a 'main eventer' he would be stuck in mid-card.

Personally I think he's a good worker and does deserve a top spot, but he wouldn't get that in WWE. Maybe a minor push then that's it.
    Here's the thing. If AJ has been smart with his money, well, what he's making in TNA probably will only last a few years. Now, if WWE made him an offer, and he went there for 4 years as just a midcarder, he'd still be making more than he was with TNA, and 4 years of being smart with his money should have him set, so if WWE do come a calling, he'd be an idiot to not do that, especially with a family to provide for.
    baboosh

AJ as IC Champion would be more impactful on his overall Pro Wrestling legacy than being a multi-time NWA and TNA Champ.

I hope to see him in the E.

I do personally hope he does go to the E, I think even as a mid-carder he would be the top guy at that position, and I do agree that seeing him with the IC title would be great, and would probably make the title a bit more prestigious if someone like AJ had it. But if he does end up leaving TNA he'll probably just work the indys. And TNA will have made the biggest mistake ever in letting him go. I doubt TNA will be around much longer if he leaves.

Besides, you know at some point Bryan and Punk would want to work with him, which would certainly make the higher ups take notice, regardless of his age.

They pushed Batista when he was like, 35 anyway, and he wasn't anything special in the ring or on the mic, he just looked good and had a lot of natural charisma.
    baboosh

Thinking about it I would love to see AJ vs. Bryan vs. Punk. That match would be epic!

I must agree about Batista, he was strong yes but he had nothing else going for him, he was a walking botchfest.

Quote Originally Posted by totalbriemode View Post
    I must agree about Batista, he was strong yes but he had nothing else going for him, he was a walking botchfest.
    I guess being pretty damn good on the mic and have amazing charisma-slash-chemistry with the crowd doesn't count.

tis not right in the head whocares's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falcone View Post
    Besides, you know at some point Bryan and Punk would want to work with him, which would certainly make the higher ups take notice, regardless of his age.

They pushed Batista when he was like, 35 anyway, and he wasn't anything special in the ring or on the mic, he just looked good and had a lot of natural charisma.
    Not sure if Punk would want to work with him. From what I understand, they both don't really like each other. I think it has something to do with how Punk left TNA.

Probably. Didn't Punk leave with a few others once TNA declared that their talent couldn't work for ROH?

I'm sure now A.J. realizes why Punk did it and Punk.. well Punk probably think's AJ is a dumbass.

Remember when people stayed On-Topic? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Thread Information