Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting My Wife Into Pro Wrestling...

≡≡≡≡|≡≡≡≡

vCash
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Getting My Wife Into Pro Wrestling...

I recently set out to get my wife into/back into pro wrestling by getting her to agree (read: forcing her) to sit through a "match of the night".

She first got into pro wrestling on 1/14/08... specifically when Jeff Hardy jumped off the TitanTron and hit a Swanton Bomb on Randy Orton.

Based on that, I figured starting with the TLC match from SummerSlam 2000 would be a safe bet. It was. Next up was Angle/Shane from King of the Ring 2001. She was into it... and a little more into Angle's butt than I would've liked, but whatever. Then I go for a non-gimmick match with Angle/Rey from SummerSlam 2002. She was bummed Rey lost, but overall was into it too... thanks in part again to Angle's butt. I nipped the butt-oggling in the bud by following up with Undertaker/Mankind from King of the Ring 1998. She seemed pretty impressed by how insane Foley was back then. HHH/Cactus Jack from Royal Rumble 2000 was up next. It was a solid hit. She was again impressed by Foley's insanity... but she ended up being most enthralled by HHH's nasty leg wound.

Feeling like I was relying too heavily on gimmick matches, I opted for Eddie/Rey from Halloween Havoc 1997 last night. She hated it. Her reaction was so negative in fact that I seriously feared I'd lost all progress made over the previous nights. Plus, it's Eddie/Rey... who isn't at least OK with Eddie/Rey? I figure it must be a fluke, or maybe she just simply prefers WWE's production quality over WCW's... so I turn it into a double-feature night and force her to give Eddie/Rey one more shot. I go with their 6/23/13 SmackDown match.

Well... If I had one foot in the grave before because of their Halloween Havoc match, their SmackDown match put my other foot in the grave and shoveled in a heap of dirt. She hated their SmackDown match too. She hated it so much that we didn't even make it through the whole thing. She at least agreed to let me fast-forward to the finish, but the damage had already been done. Turns out my wife hates (HATES!) Eddie Guerrero. Worse yet... I'm now super nervous about what match to pick for tonight.

I was originally thinking Angle/Lesnar from WrestleMania XIX to see if she'd like seeing Brock botch the SSP... but I'm thinking it'd probably be safer to just go with the TLC match from WrestleMania X7. I'd hate to rely solely on gimmick matches though and/or limit the playlist to only TLC/MITB matches, so I'm coming to you all for help in the form of recommendations.

If you had to get someone into pro wrestling, what matches would you recommend he or she watch?

I'll keep two running lists here (really for my reference more than anything else, but whatever)... 1) the playlist; i.e., the matches she's seen so far, and her reactions to them... and 2) the matches "on deck", as recommended by you all.

Quote Originally Posted by The Playlist
    11/29/13
    Edge & Christian vs. The Hardy Boyz vs. The Dudley Boyz @ SummerSlam 2000 [reaction: POSITIVE]

11/30/13
    Kurt Angle vs. Shane McMahon @ King of the Ring 2001 [reaction: POSITIVE]

12/01/13
    Kurt Angle vs. Rey Mysterio @ SummerSlam 2002 [reaction: POSITIVE]

12/02/13
    Undertaker vs. Mankind @ King of the Ring 1998 [reaction: POSITIVE]

12/03/13
    Triple H vs. Cactus Jack @ Royal Rumble 2000 [reaction: POSITIVE]

12/04/13
    Eddie Guerrero vs. Rey Mysterio @ Halloween Havoc 1997 [reaction: NEGATIVE]
    Eddie Guerrero vs. Rey Mysterio @ SmackDown 06/23/2005 [reaction: NEGATIVE]

12/05/13
    Undertaker vs. The Rock vs. Kurt Angle @ Vengeance 2002 [reaction: disliked the finish... YouTube fucked me!]

12/07/13
    Undertaker vs. Jeff Hardy @ RAW 7/1/2002 [reaction: POSITIVE]

12/08/13
    Shawn Michaels vs. Shelton Benjamin @ RAW 2/5/05 [reaction: POSITIVE; her favorite so far by quite a margin]

12/09/13
    Antonio Cesaro vs. Daniel Bryan @ RAW 7/22/13 [reaction: POSITIVE; she liked Daniel Bryan's elbows and European uppercuts.]

12/10/13
    John Cena vs. Triple H @ WrestleMania 22 [reaction: POSITIVE; her second favorite so far... right up there with Shawn/Shelton]
    John Cena vs. Rob Van Dam @ One Night Stand 2006 [reaction: POSITIVE; popped big for Cena ramming RVD's head through a steel chair]

12/11/13
    Randy Savage vs. Ric Flair @ WrestleMania VIII [reaction: POSITIVE; loved Flair's promos... LOVED Savage's]

12/12/13
    Kurt Angle vs. Chris Benoit vs. Rey Mysterio @ SmackDown 09/29/02 [reaction: POSITIVE]
    This was a test. I'd asked her before if she'd be OK with watching Chris Benoit matches, considering the double homicide/suicide deal. She said she was OK but would let me know if that changed. So we start with a shorter match that also involves two guys I know she definitely is OK with. What's not to love about SmackDown in late '02? She enjoyed the action and everyone involved, so I think I'm safe to keep showing her Benoit matches here and there. She did comment on both how built he was and also on his noticeably short arms. I told her that Benoit and Matthew McConaughey are related.

12/13/13
    John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels @ WrestleMania 23 [reaction: FELL ASLEEP]
    I don't blame the match. In fact, I think she still wants to go back and finish it. I think it was my fault for trying to forge ahead in a situation set up too perfectly for failure. Her office had let out at noon on this day, and she and a couple of coworkers (and eventually me) ended up drinking from noon until nine. So needless to say... she was pretty "sleepy" when it came time to start the match. I think we got about 1/3 of the way in. Not sure how much she remembers. If we do revisit this match, we'll probably start from the top again anyway. Her few initial comments were things along the lines of "Why's Shawn coming out to this music?" and "What the fuck is D-generation X?"

12/14/13 -- DOUBLE FEATURE!
    Team WWF vs. The Alliance @ Survivor Series 2001 [reaction: POSITIVE]
    I painted the backstory to this match in broad strokes. There's no need to get into the InVasion angle with a casual in 2013, right? Anyway... I think Survivor Series matches might be a secret jewel. They're like Royal Rumbles, but shorter. Plus, she loves when all hell breaks loose in tag matches.

Edge & Christian vs. The Hardy Boyz @ No Mercy '99 [reaction: POSITIVE]

12/16/13
    Edge & Christian vs. The Hardy Boyz vs. The Dudley Boyz @ WrestleMania X-7 [reaction: POSITIVE]
    So we kinda divided the days of the week up into themed days for helping to pick what matches to watch... Gimmick Match Monday (because really... what better way is there to kick off the week and/or cap of the first day back at work than a fucking exploding table barbwire rope death match?), Tag Team Tuesday, Wife's Pick Wednesday, Triple Threat/3-Way Thursday, Double Feature Friday, Superstar Saturday (the idea being that I play her a series of matches that define a wrestler's career), and Sunday Bloody Sunday (the idea being that I play her the key matches from a famous feud). Anyway... I kinda wanted to get all the TLC matches out of my system so I don't have to think about them anymore, so TLC II @ WMX7 was up. You know her reaction was positive, but I mean... who doesn't like this match? I was interested in see if she liked this match more or less than TLC I, or if she thought nothing was different. I think she ultimately thought nothing was that much different, but I think she liked this one more. The stacked double tables spot to the outside was pulled off better, she thought. Jeff's suicide sacrifice spot was pulled off better, she thought. All the interference was kinda WTF to her. Rhyno dominating at the end was kinda fun, but the finish was a little flat to her. I don't think she reacted that much to the dangling Jeff/Edge spear spot. Anyway... I think she's kinda burned out on TLCs and ladder matches for now.

12/17/13 & 12/18/13
    We took a two-day breather; the final week before Christmas, especially in a short holiday season, can be a bitch.

12/19/13
    The Rock vs. Mankind vs. Ken Shamrock @ Breakdown: In Your House [reaction: POSITIVE]
    It was slow-going at first, and I think she struggled a little bit with whatever Attitude Era logic probably led to this exact match (I didn't even bother getting into the details of how the match led nowhere afterward). She commented on how jacked Shamrock looked, and when I told her about how his "World's Most Dangerous Man" nickname was kinda legit and about his background in UFC... well, she didn't seem to buy that Shamrock was a legit bad ass. She wanted me to show her some of his UFC stuff to prove it. I didn't want to fuck up, so I need Shinobi or someone else to direct me to some good videos so that I don't ignorantly show her the wrong stuff and unimpress her. Anyway... she felt like the match was kinda boring and made no sense for most of it, but she did pop when Foley did his elbow drop off the top of the cage. And she also popped for the clever finish of Foley climbing out and/but then Rock pinning Shamrock before Foley could drop to the floor. I tried explaining how the finish of this match was like a precursor or seed to the epic Rock/Mankind feud. It was too much for her to get at the time, but the feud is one of several on deck for her to see.

12/20/13
    Rey Mysterio vs. Psicosis @ Bash at the Beach '96 [reaction: POSITIVE]
    She seemed to really like it. Easily enjoyed it more than Rey/Eddie @ HH'97. She popped pretty hard for the Slash Mountain/Frankensteiner finish. However, she doesn't like those "diaper-looking" pants that Rey seems to only wear in WCW. Also, Dusty's here-and-there/pop-in-pop-out commentary made her go "WTF?" and "Who the fuck is that?" Can anyone recommend some good/specific US-base lucha-style matches that don't involve Rey? I'm starting to fear that she's thinking Rey's the only "little Mexican jumping bean" who put on fun matches. I never followed WCW, so I'm out of my depth here.

12/22/13
    Triple H vs. Scott Steiner @ Royal Rumble 2003 [reaction: NOT NEGATIVE]

12/23/13
    Undertaker vs. Undertaker @ SummerSlam 1994 [reaction: POSITIVE]
    She was fascinated by the stupidity of the concept behind why there were two Undertakers fighting, and she was intrigued to see how the commentators were going to call the match without it being confusing. It felt like a bunch of "WTF?!" questions... up until the bridging/flip-over Tombstone reversal/counter spot. Think this was the first match where she saw this spot, and it was mindblowingly impressive to her. In fact, she was so impressed by that spot (and then who doesn't love 3 consecutive Tombstones?) that I think she ended up enjoying the match overall because of it.

Trish Stratus vs. Mickie James @ WrestleMania 22 [reaction: POSITIVE]
    She'd asked about women's matches the other night, so when I saw this recommendation... I figured it was time to go for it. The build-up hype video and match both prompted her to say that she might like women's wrestling better than men's overall because women can be much better/scarier actors. She was equal parts enthralled, terrified, and entertained by Mickie. She fucking LOVED the snatch grab/v-lick. The match lost a few points for her with the botched stolen finisher ending, but on the overall... she was hooked. The only problem now was that I think she might think all (or at least most) women's wrestling is as good as this.

Chyna vs. Ivory @ WrestleMania X-7 [reaction: POSITIVE]
    My wife wanted more, and she knew about Chyna (thanks VH1), so she wanted a Chyna match. I went with this because I figured it'd be as short and painless as it gets. The video was fucked up, but she got the idea. She HATES Right to Censor now, by the way. Anyway... I mentioned this was Chyna's first time winning the women's title, which surprised her... especially after seeing how easily Chyna squashed Ivory. (sidenote: this was her first squash match, and she seemed to think it was so cool that someone could dominate a match and win so fast... maybe time to start showing her some Goldberg matches?) She asked who Chyna wrestled before then, and I told her men... and Chris Jericho.

Chyna vs. Pat Patterson & Gerald Brisco @ RAW 01/18/99 [reactio: POSITIVE]
    So of course my wife then wants to see Chyna wrestling men, so of course I go with the most entertaining Chyna match that I've personally ever seen... and we scored another big win in the reaction department (although not without the WTF moments still when Sable/Luna tried running in and when the censors blurred out the Stooges tit-fluffing the blinded Chyna). I'm pretty sure my wife is a big fan of Chyna now, and is definitely girl power tripping. I might have to show her Chyna's Good Housekeeping Match against Jarrett.

Alundra Blayze vs. Bull Nakano @ RAW 04/03/95 [reaction: POSITIVE]
    We continued our trip backwards through time and the history of women's wrestling in the WWF/WWE with this gem. This match was not only her hands-down favorite of the night but of all-time. She fucking loved it. "Positive" doesn't do her reaction justice. And, on top of that, she fucking LOVES Bull Nakano. Everything about her. Bull is my wife's newest/current favorite wrestler of all-time. She even mentioned wanting to dress up as Bull for next Halloween. So, based on all that, the only strike against this match for her was that Bull lost. Considering how much of a Bull fan she is, maybe I'll have to show her the SummerSlam '94 match.

The Fabulous Moolah, Rockin' Robin, Velvet McIntyre, and the Jumping Bomb Angels vs. Sensational Sherri, the Glamour Girls, Donna Christanello, and Dawn Marie @ Survivor Series 1987 [reaction: POSITIVE]
    I'm pretty sure she really likes Survivor Series Elimination Match formats... but I'm 100% sure she fucking LOVED the Jumping Bomb Angels. She thought that was the single coolest name she's ever heard of in wrestling, and it combined with their sweet moves in the ring might've earned the Japanese duo a solid number two footing in her favorite wrestler ranking. Right now, I if I had to guess (just based on what I've shown her)... I think her top 10 favorite wrestler ranking looks like this: 1) Bull Nakano, 2) Jumping Bomb Angels, 3) Shawn Michaels, 4) Chyna, 5) Kurt Angle, 6) Rey Mysterio, 7) Jeff Hardy, 8) John Cena, 9) Triple H, 10) The Rock

12/25/13
    Chris Benoit vs. Edge @ Backlash '03 [reaction: MEH]
    Wife's Pick Wednesday... she picked the Benoit/Edge LMS @ Backlash '03. We also got our first official "MEH" reaction, which can/will now be featured alongside other such official reactions as "POSITIVE" and "NEGATIVE". Couple of notes... She doesn't like/doesn't get German suplexes (because wouldn't they hurt the guy giving them as much as the guy taking them?), and/but she likes Edge's spear. I'm thinking it's critical at this point to at least show her a compilation of Goldberg and Roman Reigns spears and Rhyno gores. I don't know what to say about the German suplexes though. Guess showing her Benoit/Austin or any Benoit classics from WWF/WWE might be out.

12/26/13
    Hart Foundation vs. Steve Austin, Goldust, Ken Shamrock, and the Legion of Doom @ Canadian Stampede [reaction: NEGATIVE]
    I'll take part of the blame on several counts for her negative reaction...

1) Going in, I'd billed this as one of the all-time great "All Hell Breaks Loose!" matches, knowing that she loves when all hell breaks loose in tag team matches, or in Survivor Series matches, or in Royal Rumbles, etc. She didn't feel like enough hell broke loose in this match though... and I agree that it is kind of weak sauce that the only real hell that broke loose was the brief bit after the match was technically over. So... the first lesson I learned here was that I need to stop referring to 8-man tags and 10-man tags as "All Hell Breaks Loose!" matches when getting her hyped for our match of the night, as it seems I might be setting her expectations way too high with that billing.

2) The cast of characters was an issue... I think I botched it here by showing her a match featuring way too many new faces. And the match itself, as well as the commentary and camera work, really wasn't designed to familiarize you with any of the characters that well -- unlike a Royal Rumble, for instance. Prior to seeing this match, she was only familiar with Bret (and only from the Bret/Vince WM match... ), Stone Cold (from his occasional non-wrestling cameos in the late 2000s), Goldust, and Ken Shamrock. Speaking of Shamrock, she's still not sold on him... and 1997 Shamrock didn't help Shamrock's overall cause in her eyes. She felt like he just looked lost and confused, and like he just wasn't able to pull off the UFC-to-WWF transition very smoothly. Also, the camera work was such that she couldn't really get into (or even tell the difference between) the Road Warriors... although she did think Animal's hairdo was hilariously ridiculous.

3) She disliked that there were only two actual Canadians representing Canada on the hometown team. I explained how the Hart Foundation was tied together through various ties to the Hart family -- and she was interested in all of that (ultimately even more so than the match itself), and really liked the idea of Stu & Helen sitting in the front row for their son's matches -- but still... the fact that 3/5 of the Canadian hero squad weren't actually Canadian was off-putting to her. She also felt that Stone Cold's team wasn't the best "All-American" representation of America. I'm thinking of showing her Steve Austin/Owen Hart/Hardcore Legends vs. HHH/Savio Vega/Outlaws "All Hell Breaks Loose!" match as a follow-up to this to see if she likes it any better... either from an in-ring action standpoint, or simply because there aren't any patriotic overtones. Plus, she'll at least recognize Austin, Owen, Cactus, and HHH.

01/04/13
    Steve Austin, Owen Hart, Cactus Jack & Chainsaw Charlie vs. Triple H, the New Age Outlaws, and Savio Vega @ No Way Out '98 [reaction: NEGATIVE]
    We didn't even make it through the whole match... in fact, I don't even think we made it to the halfway point. She hated the camera work, which made it impossible to get into the match and follow the action. We'll be taking a long break from "All Hell Breaks Loose!" matches, and I'll definitely have to be better about pre-screening matches with an eye to production value elements that might take away from her viewing experience.

Bull Nakano vs. Alundra Blayze @ SummerSlam '94 [reaction: POSITIVE]
    I panicked (I panic whenever we cut a match off), and resorted to a match featuring one of her favorites... and I thought this was the match where Bull won the title, but I was wrong. Personally, I think the match on RAW in '95 was better... and I think it got a stronger reaction out of my wife... but I think she still enjoyed seeing Bull in action. Still in panic-mode after the match, I tried thinking of a match that would tickle her fancy and get her fully back on board... but I got shut down in favor of FailBlog. We'd had a long dry spell since our last match-of-the-night night, and I'm wondering if I've burned her out or if I'm just not picking the right matches. I'm thinking the best fix is to downgrade frequency and make this a match-of-the-week deal going forward. That'll give me time to weigh match options, pre-screen, etc. Hopefully that'll elicit stronger reactions in the future and keep her engaged.

Last edited by PI; 01-05-2014 at 01:03 PM.
    : 04/02/11}:forever&always
    ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
    http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=121686

Nothing better to see? MexicanMike's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Getting My Wife Into Pro Wrestling...

Cena- Punk MITB 2011 would be a good safe bet for a non-gimmick match

Cena- RVD 2006 One Night Stand

5-5 Elimination Match: Team Bischoff vs. Team Austin

Kane vs. Shane McMahon Survivor Series 03 (?) Ambulance Match

Undertaker vs. Jeff Hardy (RAW 2002) Ladder Match for the title

I think all of these matches tell a pretty cool emotional story. She should dig them.
    HAYZE

vCash
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who doesn't like Eddie Guerrero? Seriously?

s u r r e n d e r

***Take part in PW's Match of the Year 2016 Tournament in the Wide World of Wrestling**
    http://forums.prowrestling.com/showt...53#post4407453

≡≡≡≡|≡≡≡≡

vCash
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Who doesn't like Eddie Guerrero? Seriously?
    Her primary complaint seemed to be that he was a little too rapey with Rey.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John Cena vs. Daniel Bryan and CM Punk vs. Brock Lesnar from this year's Summerslam immediately popped into my mind, due to how recent they were.

Other than that, I'll throw in my two favorite matches of all time: John vs. Umaga (Royal Rumble 2007) and Kurt Angle vs. Undertaker (No Way Out 2006). Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels (literally any of their matches) would also be a safe bet.

Also, I don't really know if you still watch Raw or not, but you could seriously just pick and choose matches from Raw or Smackdown as they happen. There is usually at least one fantastic match every week. Typically it is the ones with the Shield, Daniel Bryan, Cody Rhodes, Goldust, or CM Punk.

The Buck 3 Stud

Mysterio vs Eddie = too many flips, not enuff rasslin'

With regards to your wife, and non-gimmick matches.
    I suggest that you force her to watch HBK vs. 'Taker at WM 25 and WM 26
    Also, I always thought Royal Rumbles are fun matches to make casual fans watch. They like seeing the guys come out every 90 seconds, and all the other excitement that goes with a rumble.
    My personal favorite RR is the one from 1992. However, based on the dates you give in your original post, that may be going to far back for you guys.

vCash
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PI View Post
    I recently set out to get my wife into/back into pro wrestling by getting her to agree (read: forcing her) to sit through a "match of the night".
    Continue to update us. I've always been strangely curious to see how newbies/casuals react to stuff.

She first got into pro wrestling on 1/14/08... specifically when Jeff Hardy jumped off the TitanTron and hit a Swanton Bomb on Randy Orton.

Based on that, I figured starting with the TLC match from SummerSlam 2000 would be a safe bet. It was. Next up was Angle/Shane from King of the Ring 2001. She was into it... and a little more into Angle's butt than I would've liked, but whatever. Then I go for a non-gimmick match with Angle/Rey from SummerSlam 2002. She was bummed Rey lost, but overall was into it too... thanks in part again to Angle's butt. I nipped the butt-oggling in the bud by following up with Undertaker/Mankind from King of the Ring 1998. She seemed pretty impressed by how insane Foley was back then. HHH/Cactus Jack from Royal Rumble 2000 was up next. It was a solid hit. She was again impressed by Foley's insanity... but she ended up being most enthralled by HHH's nasty leg wound.
    Your wife sounds like a vampire! I don't mean that as an insult, but a compliment. She likes the same sort of wrestling as Shin, Kilgore and myself. I'm always happy to see an Angle fan too. I don't care if she only likes him for his butt. It is getting lonely for us few remaining Angle fans.

Feeling like I was relying too heavily on gimmick matches,
    I had this problem when trying to create new fans. The crazy gimmick matches almost always work but then the person is forever spoiled because they expect every match to be some kind of crazy violent TLC/Hell in a Cell and end up hating great wrestlers like Ric Flair & Bret Hart.

Eddie/Rey from Halloween Havoc 1997 last night. She hated it. Her reaction was so negative in fact that I seriously feared I'd lost all progress made over the previous nights. Plus, it's Eddie/Rey... who isn't at least OK with Eddie/Rey? I figure it must be a fluke, or maybe she just simply prefers WWE's production quality over WCW's... so I turn it into a double-feature night and force her to give Eddie/Rey one more shot. I go with their 6/23/13 SmackDown match.

Well... If I had one foot in the grave before because of their Halloween Havoc match, their SmackDown match put my other foot in the grave and shoveled in a heap of dirt. She hated their SmackDown match too. She hated it so much that we didn't even make it through the whole thing. She at least agreed to let me fast-forward to the finish, but the damage had already been done. Turns out my wife hates (HATES!) Eddie Guerrero. Worse yet... I'm now super nervous about what match to pick for tonight.
    I can see not getting into the Smackdown match, but I figured Halloween Havoc would be a sure winner. It has the kind of crazy action new fans like. Maybe she just hates Eddie because he's such a jerk heel? See how she reacts to face Eddie. But not too soon. That would be too risky. You can't lose her this early in the game.

I was originally thinking Angle/Lesnar from WrestleMania XIX to see if she'd like seeing Brock botch the SSP... but I'm thinking it'd probably be safer to just go with the TLC match from WrestleMania X7. I'd hate to rely solely on gimmick matches though and/or limit the playlist to only TLC/MITB matches, so I'm coming to you all for help in the form of recommendations.

If you had to get someone into pro wrestling, what matches would you recommend he or she watch?
    I've done this before and I started with the same TLC/HiaC/violent matches you did. Then I go to Bret, Flair and Michaels and people tended to hate Bret & Flair and sometimes Michaels. Then I'd sometimes make the mistake of slipping in some ECW or ROH and lose them for good. I'll try catering this to your wife's taste.....

Undertaker vs. Jeff Hardy- Raw 7/02 Ladder Match
    Umaga vs. Jeff Hardy- Raw 1/08 Cage Match
    -She's already a Jeff fan and these are two of his best singles matches. I'd try Taker/Jeff next. I was going to recommend it even before reading MexicanMike's post. I feel pretty safe with a ladder and cage match. Something like Jeff/HHH would be too risky.

Kurt Angle vs. Chris Benoit- Royal Rumble 2003
    -She already likes Angle and this is my favorite Angle match. Though a "technical" match like this might be risky.....

Maybe Angle/Benoit vs. Rey/Edge from No Mercy 2002 would be better?

Cactus Jack vs. Randy Orton- Backlash 2004
    Mankind vs. Shawn Michaels- IYH: Mind Games
    -She's also a Cactus fan (Cactus, Angle and Jeff! She's off to a good start) and this is another violent Cactus match. It should work.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep us updated on the situation would love to see how this turns out say like in a month.

Hbk vs Kurt Angle WrestleMania 21
    Mick Foley vs Edge WrestleMania 22
    Bret Hart vs Mr. PERfect Summerslam 91
    Brock vs Punk Summerslam 2013
    Hbk vs Undertaker. ...any one exception of the Rumble 98 match
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

≡≡≡≡|≡≡≡≡

vCash
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys are awesome! I'll come back and reply to some of you more in full later on, and I'll also try to expand on my write-ups of her reactions for those interested. It's definitely interesting to rewatch some of these matches through her eyes. It's almost like I'm a teenager again!

Anyway... match-of-the-night time! RING THE DAMN BELL!

vCash
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want a nice match between current stars, I say watch The Shield vs Team Hell No and Ryback. If you want to try a current match without it being a gimmick, try Cesaro vs Bryan.

I'd also recommend the first elimination chamber, the 2001 Royal Rumble, and Taker vs HBK (any of them)

Big thanks to Surrender!

PW Accolades

Spoiler

≡≡≡≡|≡≡≡≡

vCash
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I called an audible at the last minute last night and played her one of my top ten favorites... the triple threat from Vengeance 2002.

This was her first time seeing/hearing the American Bad Ass/Big Evil incarnation of Undertaker. She was floored by the fact that he's a giant ginger. She definitely prefers the Deadman incarnation, as well as the longer locks.

Anyway... She was digging it for the most part throughout most of it, until the finish took her pretty much completely out of it. I blame YouTube! The audio became more and more out of sync as the video played, so the finish made it look/sound like Undertaker had jumped on top of the dogpile on Angle in time for the 3-count. My wife thought the match had consequently ended in a draw (since Undertaker and Rock had both pinned Angle)... but then she got confused (and she gets pissed when she gets confused) when Rock was handed the title and declared the winner. I tried explaining that the audio was out of sync, and she agreed. I found a different video where the audio wasn't fucked up, and she agreed to re-watch the finish... and she agreed that the finish with N*SYNC audio was better and/or at least made more sense. Overall though I could tell that it had already been ruined for her.

I'm so mad at YouTube! Lesson learned here is that I apparently need to prescreen the videos on YouTube to make sure there will be no glitches. Fucking YouTube.

Anyway... not sure how to fairly record her reaction to the match, so whatever. I think to regain all the lost ground I have no choice but to go with a gimmick match as our next match. She likes Umaga (she "ooooo"ed when she saw his name in some of your recommendations), so I'm thinking either the LMS or cage match against Jeff.

This has turned out to be a rougher road to travel than I ever thought it would be!

vCash
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are 10 matches I would show someone if I was trying to get them into wrestling:

- MITB I - WM 21
    - The Shield vs. Cody Rhodes & Goldust - Battleground 2013
    - Randy Savage vs. Ultimate Warrior - WM 7
    - World's Greatest Tag Team vs. Rey Mysterio & Billy Kidman - Vengeance 03
    - Cody Rhodes vs. Rey Mysterio - WM 27
    - Royal Rumble 2001
    - Big Show vs. Flyod Mayweather - WM 24
    - WHC MITB - MITB 2013
    - Team Rhodes Scholars vs. Rey Mysterio & Sin Cara - TLC 2012
    - The Rock vs. Hulk Hogan - WM 18

I think it is a good variety of matches that would makes someone a wrestling fan if they watched them.

Also, I didn't list any Eddie Guerrero matches since you are using these list 2 and your wife hates Eddie.
    surrender

First Ever PW Heavyweight Champion!

Moderately Moderating Michinokudriver's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Buck 3 Stud View Post
    Mysterio vs Eddie = too many flips, not enuff rasslin'

With regards to your wife, and non-gimmick matches.
    I suggest that you force her to watch HBK vs. 'Taker at WM 25 and WM 26
    Also, I always thought Royal Rumbles are fun matches to make casual fans watch. They like seeing the guys come out every 90 seconds, and all the other excitement that goes with a rumble.
    My personal favorite RR is the one from 1992. However, based on the dates you give in your original post, that may be going to far back for you guys.
    Contemporary RR's are as much about nostalgia pops as anything else, so they may not be great starter matches. Plus, more than an hour long. That's a lot to ask.

On my short list might be

- HBK vs Shelton Benjamin, RAW Gold Rush Tournament 2005. A face-vs-face match that has a bit of mat wrestling, a bit of high flying, and an ending that makes you go 'I know the rest of it is fake... but damn!'

- Hardys vs Edge and Christian, No Mercy 1999. It seems like everyone but me prefers the TLC series but it seems like they're going out of their way to put on a show (now, for our next trick, we're going to stack two tables outside the ring and set up a ladder absolutely nowhere near the titles) whereas with the ladder match, there at least was still the idea that the things they were doing, they were doing because they wanted to win the match. I especially like this version (at 6:56) which is a highlight reel along with Hardys/E&C talking about the match, in a behind the scenes/magician's secrets revealed sort of way.

- Shield & Real Americans vs Dem Rhodes Boys/Usos/Rey Mysterio Survivor Series 2013 -- I might not normally have thought of it, but when I was at the bar watching SS some people came in to watch football, were surprised to see wrestling, and were absolutely mesmerized by this match. So there's that.

Nominee: PW's Most Knowledgeable Poster, 2006
    Co-winner: PW's Most Knowledgeable Nerd, 2006

Beat the Devil out of it Leper Messiah's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Show her some CZW. Women love CZW.

Some matches I'd go with:

Tajiri vs. Super Crazy vs Little Guido - Anarchy Rulz 1999

Sting vs. Cactus Jack- Beach Blast 1992

CM Punk vs. John Cena - Money in the Bank 2011 (especially if you show her some of the build up)

War Games 1992

I list some more later.

Layne is my Green Star Holzhammer's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If she likes Kurt Angle: Kurt Angle VS The Undertaker on SmackDown (the one where Lesnar interferes), and at No Way Out 2006.

And then also Brock Lesnar VS The Undertaker [Hell in a Cell, No Mercy 2002].

vCash
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PI, I'm talking about the Cesaro vs Bryan match that happened on Raw this year in July I think.

I think some other nice matches would be Rock vs Jericho and Austin vs Angle vs RVD. Both from No Mercy 2001.

Big thanks to Surrender!

PW Accolades

Spoiler

Slushy

My picks:

Hogan Vs. Andre - WM III

Hogan Vs. Warrior - WM VI

Hogan Vs. Undertaker - SSeries 1991

Savage Vs. Flair - WM VIII

Hart Vs. Smith - SS 1992

Hart Vs. Michaels - WM XII

Austin Vs. Hart - WM XIII

Austin Vs. Michaels - WM XIV

Foley Vs. Undertaker - KOTR 1998

Page Vs. Goldberg - Halloween Havoc 1998

Austin Vs. Maivia - WM XVII

Hogan Vs. Maivia - WM XVIII

Cena Vs. Helmsley - WM XXII

Michaels Vs. Undertaker - WM XXV

Punk Vs. Cena - MITB 2011
    Last edited by Slushy; 12-07-2013 at 11:43 PM.

Now residing in the 256 BestInThe205's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When my girlfriend and I first got together, she made fun of me for watching wrestling (she hadn't watched since she was a kid).

Three years later, she's almost into as much as I am. I guess just due to so much exposure from being around me while watching Raw, Smackdown, Impact, ppvs, dvds, etc.

She still complains and calls certain things dumb (which most are justified), but she surprisingly is very much into it. Very fortunate for that!
    What's up PW users? Check out my band, if you like!
    www.facebook.com/throneofedenband

≡≡≡≡|≡≡≡≡

vCash
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we skipped Friday because of the wife's company's Christmas party, but I think it was good to give her a "breather". Felt like I played it a little safe last night by going with the Undertaker/Jeff Hardy ladder match, but whatever. She liked it, but I feel like I'm sinking myself deeper and deeper into that gimmick match quick sand.

I'm also thinking of introducing her to Dave Meltzer so that she can start reaction to matches in terms of star ratings. Right now the positive/negative reaction log is a little too black and white.

I'm going to update/re-format the On Deck list and try to pull a non-gimmick match from it for tonight. My early leanings are an Undertaker/Angle match. Not sure which one yet, but pretty sure it'll be one of 'em.

Thanks to all again for all the recommendations! After I update/re-format the On Deck list, I'm going to try responding back to some of your guys's comments.

EDIT: Shiiit... I was working on a big/long response to some of your comments, and then the window closed and I lost it all. We'll see if I can drum up the energy/effort to give responding another shot.
    Last edited by PI; 12-08-2013 at 05:41 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could show her the Savage/Elizabeth WrestleMania story.

Mania 2: Poor match but she might enjoy the silliness of The Animal. The commentary gets over that Savage has not been treating Elizabeth properly.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWl_Hfx847Q

Mania III: The classic with Steamboat, with the previous match showing why The Animal is out there.
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xjx...emania-3_sport

Mania IV: After turning face, Savage wins the WWF Championship tournament. Savage sends Elizabeth to the back to get Hogan to even the odds.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeOta76989E

Mania V: Mega Powers explode with Elizabeth in a neutral corner. The Savage/Elizabeth relationship ends.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUg6niIKlx4

Mania VI: Savage is now the Macho King with Sherri. Mixed tag with Elizabeth in the corner of Savage's opponents.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w31kxAALuNQ

Mania VII: Savage/Warrior retirement match with Elizabeth watching in the crowd. Results in arguably the greatest moment in wrestling history. Sure, having great matches is fine and all (and this is great), but it is all about getting the fans to care about your character and telling great stories. The redemption of the Macho Man.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bntAwqFWJU

Mania VIII: After the reconciliation, Savage now has to defend her honour against the Nature Boy.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTPRfk6B8mw

Sure, the Mania 2, IV and VI matches are not the best but the other 4 are great-to-classic. You also get things that are just "pro wrestling" such as The Animal, the mixed tag, the awesome Macho King outfit, Warrior talking to his hands. But it is all about the story of the Savage/Liz relationship.

≡≡≡≡|≡≡≡≡

vCash
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Strobe Lights View Post
    You could show her the Savage/Elizabeth WrestleMania story.

Mania 2: Poor match but she might enjoy the silliness of The Animal. The commentary gets over that Savage has not been treating Elizabeth properly.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWl_Hfx847Q

Mania III: The classic with Steamboat, with the previous match showing why The Animal is out there.
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xjx...emania-3_sport

Mania IV: After turning face, Savage wins the WWF Championship tournament. Savage sends Elizabeth to the back to get Hogan to even the odds.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeOta76989E

Mania V: Mega Powers explode with Elizabeth in a neutral corner. The Savage/Elizabeth relationship ends.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUg6niIKlx4

Mania VI: Savage is now the Macho King with Sherri. Mixed tag with Elizabeth in the corner of Savage's opponents.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w31kxAALuNQ

Mania VII: Savage/Warrior retirement match with Elizabeth watching in the crowd. Results in arguably the greatest moment in wrestling history. Sure, having great matches is fine and all (and this is great), but it is all about getting the fans to care about your character and telling great stories. The redemption of the Macho Man.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bntAwqFWJU

Mania VIII: After the reconciliation, Savage now has to defend her honour against the Nature Boy.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTPRfk6B8mw

Sure, the Mania 2, IV and VI matches are not the best but the other 4 are great-to-classic. You also get things that are just "pro wrestling" such as The Animal, the mixed tag, the awesome Macho King outfit, Warrior talking to his hands. But it is all about the story of the Savage/Liz relationship.
    Fucking excellent idea, and thank you so much for the links to the videos. Extra helpful! I'm going to have her read your post and she if she's on board for it either over the course of a week or maybe next weekend. I think it's an awesome idea personally. So loving it right now (watch her hate it )!

The Kid

I love the idea and your hilarious responses to her reactions.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's interesting to read about your attempt at getting your wife into prowrestling. But one thing I'd be careful about is overexposing her to matches with lots of big spots, or for that matter high-quality matches in general. It's a hard balance because you have to do your best to pique her interest of course, but you don't want her to start watching Raw, and expecting it to be three hours of five star matches.

≡≡≡≡|≡≡≡≡

vCash
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    It's interesting to read about your attempt at getting your wife into prowrestling. But one thing I'd be careful about is overexposing her to matches with lots of big spots, or for that matter high-quality matches in general. It's a hard balance because you have to do your best to pique her interest of course, but you don't want her to start watching Raw, and expecting it to be three hours of five star matches.
    Well, to be honest... I don't really know how much interest I have in following RAW anymore, so she might be OK. That said, you're probably right... I should throw Goldberg/Lesnar at her to see how she reacts. She'll probably love it.

Also... big props to Mich. Shelton/Shawn is her hands-down, far-and-away favorite so far.

Nothing better to see? MexicanMike's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that all depends on your intent. I got one of my girlfriend's into pro wrestling in the sense that she likes it well enough and wouldn't mind going to a show with me. In no way did I make her an avid fan of professional wrestling, but I showed her enough where she liked some of it and could see why I liked it.

PI, if your goal is to get her to watch RAW week in and week out, then yeah, I'd lay off some of the 5* classics. But if all you want is her to gain an appreciation and maybe watch it on occasion, what you are doing should be more than fine.
    HAYZE

Thread Information