Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WWE thinking about putting Wrestlemania 30 on the WWE Network?

Default WWE thinking about putting Wrestlemania 30 on the WWE Network?

Directly from the Wrestling Observer:

There was one source who said that WrestleMania was being strongly talked about (actually one person said it was even in the plans) to be used this year as the lure to get people to sign up, with the idea that they can get a huge amount of sign-ups immediately if people realize they can get Mania for “free” in HD by signing up for$9.95 per month to get Mania and tons of new content instead of $69.95 price single-event price.
    Thoughts? It would be a hell of a move to try and force cable providers hand with the idea that people will demand WWE Network (similar to how the NFL Network radically increase its carriage percentage after they started running live games on the network). It would be an immediate start for WWE, but it is a bit risky in that cable providers could look at it and realize they're giving up a big chunk of their revenues in the single-event buys for Mania.

"I like cake."

Quote Originally Posted by MrAndersons Mic View Post
    Im posting my thoughts not for them to be debated or argued against. I would like for folks to understand and agree with my point of view while throwing dookie at the McMahons and laughing at it.

Default Re: WWE thinking about putting Wrestlemania 30 on the WWE Network?

I'm all for it ill probably get it anyways but I'm sure a couple of my not so hardcore friends would totally be enticed to order the network if WM was "free".

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

That would pretty much guarantee I pay to get the network. I would already want to, but this seals the deal.

I would pay for it if they ever decide to bring it to Canada. If you are a company that goes worldwide, you need to have your network do the same.

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."

MO to the G to the UNS! BadNewsFan's Avatar

I would more than likely get it...but how many people would buy it for Mania and then cancel it afterwards.

I seriously doubt they giv.e Mania away for free, more than likely another PPV, but not Mania.

It'd be nice though.

Shout out to Bender for the Bad Ass Bad News Banner!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Directly from the Wrestling Observer:

Thoughts? It would be a hell of a move to try and force cable providers hand with the idea that people will demand WWE Network (similar to how the NFL Network radically increase its carriage percentage after they started running live games on the network). It would be an immediate start for WWE, but it is a bit risky in that cable providers could look at it and realize they're giving up a big chunk of their revenues in the single-event buys for Mania.
    What kind of cut does the cable providers get off of PPV's? I was under the impression that the PPV company was a separate company form the cable provider and they and WWE took the lion's share while the cable provider got very little. WWE paying cable providers to carry their channel I would think it would be more beneficial to the providers as opposed to the PPV companies. PPV is a dying platform these days with VOD and Netflix etc.

“I am not threatened by any man whose name is three letters.”

- Damien Sandow
    in response to RVD's return

They might do this with the Rumble or SummerSlam, but not WrestleMania. They'd lose so much money...not gonna happen.

Yeah, they'll end up putting all their ppvs on the Network. A good way of getting more paid subscriptions. I mostly care about the classics shows on there, that's enough for me to subscribe right there.

There has to be some catch, I mean as others have said couldn't you just order the WWE network during Wrestlemania month, and then cancel it the next? Heck if they do that fine by me. I will get WM for way way cheaper then, plus some extra wrestling for one month as a bonus.

Thanks JV for the artwork!!

This would take a HUGE chunk out of the PPV provider's revenue (not sure who WWE uses) and could potentially sour the relationship entirely. They'd have to be absolutely sure the Network can deliver before going ahead with something like this, so I'd think it more likely if they were going to implement something of this nature it would be in a couple of years rather than right at the start.

It would give them a huge boost in initial consumer base though, so who knows?

"I've seen a million people die, it's up to us to stop the war."

Quote Originally Posted by Bang Bang View Post
    What kind of cut does the cable providers get off of PPV's? I was under the impression that the PPV company was a separate company form the cable provider and they and WWE took the lion's share while the cable provider got very little. WWE paying cable providers to carry their channel I would think it would be more beneficial to the providers as opposed to the PPV companies. PPV is a dying platform these days with VOD and Netflix etc.
    PPV companies are owned by cable companies. For example, InDemand is owned by the largest cable providers (Comcast, Cox, Time Warner, and Bright House). Obviously, DirecTV and Dish run their own PPVs.

I don't remember the exact breakdown of how much WWE gets as opposed to the PPV provider, but I know it's beneficial for both sides.

"I like cake."

Im posting my thoughts not for them to be debated or argued against. I would like for folks to understand and agree with my point of view while throwing dookie at the McMahons and laughing at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmania View Post
    There has to be some catch, I mean as others have said couldn't you just order the WWE network during Wrestlemania month, and then cancel it the next? Heck if they do that fine by me. I will get WM for way way cheaper then, plus some extra wrestling for one month as a bonus.
    The thought behind this would be twofold:

1) Once people get the network, they'll like it, and won't want to cancel it.

2) A lot of people just won't cancel it. They'll think they're going to cancel it, but then they just won't.

"I like cake."

2) A lot of people just won't cancel it. They'll think they're going to cancel it, but then they just won't.
    Yeah, no doubt they are counting on something like that, however I am not sure if it would work out as well as they may think.

Thanks JV for the artwork!!

What if there's something that says when you subscribe to the WWE Network, you have to pay for a whole year's worth all at once? Meaning it wouldn't be a case of just ordering it for April for Wrestlemania but then canceling it by the next month.

I doubt this will happen, but if it does, you might as well just throw every PPV on there to get more people to subscribe to the Network.

This.

People always say they will cancel something they are signed to but never get around to doing it.

As for the rest of the thread I'm not sure it's a good idea to give WM away for "free" to go along with signing up. I would say the same thing about using it for the Royal Rumble. It would work best if they offered Elimination Chamber for free if people sign up for the network.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmania View Post
    Yeah, no doubt they are counting on something like that, however I am not sure if it would work out as well as they may think.
    Oh, it's undoubtedly a huge risk. There's a hell of a lot that can go wrong with it. It's a very aggressive move, but I think it's a very interesting way to try and get the Network off the ground running like nothing else would.

"I like cake."

To be honest I think giving away any PPV for free with signing up is enough to get a lot of WWE fans hooked. That's why I don't think giving WM away is necessary.

I think there's a lot of people out there that order Wrestlemania but don't really watch the WWE regularly. It's just that big a deal. Giving away WM might be the thing that gets those fans truly hooked.

Quote Originally Posted by WWF/E Guru View Post
    What if there's something that says when you subscribe to the WWE Network, you have to pay for a whole year's worth all at once? Meaning it wouldn't be a case of just ordering it for April for Wrestlemania but then canceling it by the next month.

I doubt this will happen, but if it does, you might as well just throw every PPV on there to get more people to subscribe to the Network.
    The problem with this is you'd have to get every cable provider on board with it. WWE is going to offer the network at a suggested price, but it's up to the cable providers what to charge. As an example, NFL Red Zone channel is included on my sports tier with my local provider, but Comcast customers have to pay a premium for it.

Plus, it defeats the purpose. The trick is to try and convince people to get the network with the idea that they're paying "less for Wrestlemania." If they still have to pay big money up front, a lot of the casuals who are more likely to order Wrestlemania might just decide to order the show outright rather than paying for the network.

"I like cake."

Smart business move to get the network off the ground.

But it may backfire, this could be a deal sealer for people who are thinking about signing up.

I think the whole network idea is a dumb idea to begin with. I honestly think this move might just kill the WWE
    Quote Originally Posted by vendrell View Post
    and yeah, Daniel Bryan looks like he should be pushing carts at Target and he's the hottest act in the company.

Well, maybe WWE would give WrestleMania away as part of some sort of bundle (six month subscription, for instance), but not give it away for people paying month-to-month? That would make sense to me, although I don't know enough about cable subscriptions to know if that's possible.

But yes, using a major PPV event (like WrestleMania, or Royal Rumble or Summerslam) is a great way to lure people to at least give the network a chance. I would hope they'd do that!

Quote Originally Posted by Masamune View Post
    I think the whole network idea is a dumb idea to begin with. I honestly think this move might just kill the WWE
    That's a bit hyperbolic. It's certainly possible that they could take a bath on it, but the XFL didn't kill the WWE, the network won't either. And there definitely is a market for the network. It's probably not the market Vince thinks it is, but it's there.

"I like cake."

that could be either a very smart move or either a veri stupid move.
    WM every year gets about a 1M buyrates, so people who will here that they can get it for only 10$ plus a lot more then just that, would already kind of gurantees WWE tons of subscriptions, so thats a great way to start the network.
    but the question is, if after WM people lost intrest in the network, then WWE is f*cked, they would lose tons of money because of the "free WM" and would loose tons of aubscription causing them major financial problems because of the high costs that the WM and the network will cost them.

I think it is a very risky bet, but if it would work out the way the hope it will, WWE Network would be a big success.

I think the only way to save your ass on this without giving away WrestleMania for "free" is to do this. Make an offer, like purchase six months of the WWE Network, and get half off the price of WrestleMania, or something along those lines.

Me personally I am looking forward to the network, and it will a purchase for me, but in all reality, I think WWE would do just as well with a Netflix style set up, basically every month just swap out what you put on there. And just like when the DVDs for PPVs come out a month later they go right onto their netflix like server. Either way they would make money, they could also tie in a if you have the package you get a price cut in PPVs if they wish to watch it live. WWE would still make money, and people would be more apt to throw down money on an iffy ppv.

I use to be an every PPV kinda guy, but the last 5 or 6 years I've stuck to the usual WrestleMania and depending on the card a Royal Rumble or Summer Slam here and there. But with the crazy prices of PPVs as well as how many there are a year, and a lot so close together people on a strict budget have to be picky.

There are a lot of options WWE have here, and a lot of different directions they could go, I just hope they don't get greedy and fuck things up and this flop like all their other ventures.

Thread Information