Thread: No More Mass Releases

Default No More Mass Releases

Triple H Calls For Major Change In Philosophy With How WWE Handles Releases

There has been an interesting shift in philosophy ongoing in WWE thanks to the ascension of Triple H. Hunter feels it makes the company look bad when they have “mass releases” at a time, which is why WWE hasn’t had tremendous post-Wrestlemania roster cuts like we’ve seen in years past. Triple H’s rationale is that if WWE is a successful company, why would they fire talent in droves every year? Therefore the edict is essentially this – Don’t fire anybody!

Some may ask, well they just cut Kassius Ohno on Friday? The philosophy doesn’t extend to developmental talent as they are not yet “WWE Superstars.” However, once a worker makes it to the main roster, that worker must do something that is “so terrible that it’s unavoidable” to actually lose their job. Hunter would rather allow for contracts to run out and not re-sign them, as opposed to making a publicized cut.

Evan Bourne and Ezekiel Jackson are both ready to return but WWE has struggled to find plans for either one. They’re being kept on payroll until their deals run out rather than cut them loose early if it’s decided to not bring them back.

Source: WNW Premium News
    I think this is good and bad, assuming it's true.

Bad because they will essentially be paying guys for nothing but then if they get a lot of injuries or something then these guys may get an opportunity. I tend to agree with Triple H's rationale though. It doesn't exactly make WWE look great when these mass releases happen and it can't make the wrestlers feel very good either.
    Credit to Fresh Prince for the sig and av.

Default Re: No More Mass Releases

This is very smart, PR-wise, and it goes back to Linda's Senate Campaign.

She campaigned as a job creator. WWE shows themselves as a place of opportunity that gives you every possible chance, and only if you screw up royally, will you be "let go", even if Creative has nothing for you for nearly 2 years.

For a company that is very clearly focused on their public image, it's smart, if not a bit transparent.

YOU WILL COMPLY.

Spoiler

It's also bad for the talent from a professional standpoint. If the WWE releases someone after not being on tv for a month or 2, they still have their name to go off of and have some popularity when it comes to their price on the indys.

As opposed to someone sitting at home or doing nothing but dark matches for years (JTG, Ryder, Dibiase when he was there, Yoshi, etc..) all are good examples. What would be better for JTG, to be released after Cryme Tyme split up, while maintaining his name value or letting his contract run out next year, after not being used but rarely for the past 3 years?

It all but destroys a talents name when they go to TNA/Japan/Indy promoters with their price. Good for WWE's PR, not for the talent.

-Plus it creates a log jam on the main roster. Forcing talent to stay in developmental longer than needed because of dead weight on the roster.

Got Steam? Join the PW.com User Group and play with people you argue with online!
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/PWForum

The thing I always thought was bad about the mass cuts must have been the paranoia lower talent probably had once a round of cuts started. How many people will they cut? When will this round of cuts be over? Will I be next? Talent in that lower level must have lived in fear every time their phone rang after the cuts started. At least with a contract running out you can get a sense of whats going on and start making plans/taking bookings on the Indys. I mean, cuts are immediate. But if your contract is set to expire soon and nobody from the E has started contacting you about negotiating a new one, you're on borrowed time.

Hi all.

I feel HHH's methods are smart. If you know you are not going to be resigned then you can look for work elsewhere; however, mass NO NOTICE cuts can be harmful to the organization. Mentally people will never know where they stand in the company, can lead to poor performances and bad matches.

I would not mind seeing wrestlers like Evan Bourne, or Eziekle Jackson being put into filler matches, not every match has to have a story behind it. This is wrestling, lets put some of the sport back into the show and have matches instead of stories all the time. Allow fans to see their favorite wrestlers, wrestle and showcase their talents. This would work; especially with 3 hour RAWS, more matches less talk/recaps. Plus the WWE would not have to have a person sit at home getting a paycheck for doing nothing; work the person until their contract runs out, they just would not be put into a storyline.

Just my thoughts.

I say fire em all!

Banner Credit: Spike

There's also the other side of the coin as far as performances go. If you know the cuts are coming, you should be stepping up and busting your behind to make sure you aren't one of those that get cut.

Got Steam? Join the PW.com User Group and play with people you argue with online!
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/PWForum

This goes back to watching out with the part time talent overdose and to make stars out of what you currently have.

Sadly, a lot of fans(Sometimes myself) still get blinded by the superstar/nostalgia factor and keep wanting these old superstars to re-appear to live out our childhoods in these matches. As a result, the current talent do not get the light of a day as these old but massively popular talents get the tickets and PPVs sold.

It is a real trouble and until the fans prove it wrong, the WWE will not stop with what they are doing. It is a case of "Damned if you do, damned if you don't". Hell, I admittedly would love Warrior to re-appear in the WWE, no matter how brief. However, Wrestlemania becomes a problem when the Lesnar's, HHH's, Rock's, even Jericho's start to get the precious slots on these big time cards over the talent who are there 24/7 on that roster.

- Justin Valuable

Blindy's V&G Reviews: Shovel Knight
    Next:

Evan Bourne and Ezekiel Jackson are both ready to return but WWE has struggled to find plans for either one. They’re being kept on payroll until their deals run out rather than cut them loose early if it’s decided to not bring them back.
    Why not pair Bourne up with Kofi again? They need a couple more tag teams and they seemed to have worked well together last time.

Quote Originally Posted by StonewalBrigade View Post
    Why not pair Bourne up with Kofi again? They need a couple more tag teams and they seemed to have worked well together last time.
    Assuming they don't plan on putting Kidd and Gabriel back together, I think they should make Bourne and Gabriel a tag team. Gabriel isn't doing anything except wrestling in the role of "top choice for a filler match" on Main Event.

surrender

I don't know I kind of see where HHH is coming from, BUT you know this was partly WCW rationale. We saw how talents started coasting with their work there. I honestly think people could care less about wrestlers getting cut unless its one of their favorites. It's like saying in MLB Spring Season everyone on the roster should remain for the regular season because it makes the team owners look incompetent(I know about roster sizes just trying to show how in general I think for PR most will see cuts this way in the masses).

Besides it would be great if it meant they would use the programming blocks each week with ALL the talent on the roster, but this isn't going to be the case. It may end up making things even more stale and log-jammed.
    Who is the boss? Who made wrestling? Who is sports entertainment?

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

If this is the case you will probably see their pay deals restructured.
    Something along the lines of a retainer plus payments for appearing on Smackdown or Raw.

The smartest thing about the structure is that it starves TNA of talent.
    It's not like there's companies lining up to hire the talent and it would only take a retainer of 40k to keep a jobber happy.
    It's more than they will make on the Indy circuit.

Hunter is The Man!
    It's showtime, folks!

Thread Information