Thread: WWE TV Deals Expiring at the End of the Year

Default WWE TV Deals Expiring at the End of the Year

Came across this today. WWE's TV deals for RAW and SmackDown are expiring at the end of the year and here's a forbes analysis on where they stand on renegotiation. It looks pretty good for them. Might triple their revenue or more.

Professional sports leagues and college conferences have been getting rich television deals during the past few years. Media rights expert Chris Bevilacqua says the next winner will be World Wrestling Entertainment, whose television deals soon expire.

WWE’s last round of broadcasting deals were negotiated long before live sports content became all the rage. Based on WWE’s large live viewership, favorable demographics and big social media following, it could see its broadcasting revenue, currently $140 million, triple with its next deal.

WWE currently generates over 300 gross rating points per year combined with RAW and SmackDown. There are 50 million U.S. television households with at least one WWE fan, and of the 97 million active WWE fans, 41% are males age 18-34. WWE regularly ranks as one of the top 15 “most talked about” brands on Facebook FB -0.91%.

Potential bidders for WWE’s next media deal: Fox Sports 1 (which already showcases the UFC), NBC Sports Network, or perhaps even Netflix (NFLX +2.09%) or Google (GOOG -0.36%), who are both entertaining the idea of sports content.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozan...es-hidden-gem/

There's a video too where they discuss WWE, worth a watch. It'll be interesting to see what happens. I'm hoping they'll find a better home for SmackDown to be honest. Somewhere where they can get enough money to make it financially worth it to air SD live would be brilliant.
    LETS GO XENA! XENA SUCKS!

/r/womenswrestling

Default Re: WWE TV Deals Expiring at the End of the Year

I just hope Smackdown doesn't end up on Fox Sports 1. Good for WWE though, I hope they get big bucks for the new deals.

Quote Originally Posted by JoMo View Post
    I just hope Smackdown doesn't end up on Fox Sports 1. Good for WWE though, I hope they get big bucks for the new deals.
    If I were FOX, I'd try and put in the contract, that Smackdown must also air live, perhaps on Thursday night, opposite TNA.

Franchise&GCBRollinITBack Franchise's Avatar

I'm sorry, "50 million U.S. television households with at least one WWE fan"? and "97 million active WWE fans"? I'd love to see how they got this number.

Now residing in the 256 BestInThe205's Avatar

Im interested to see what develops here.. hmmmm...

(Mucho credit to Bender)

Knows he isn't welcome

I want Saturday Morning Slam to get a new deal, dammit.

Smackdown getting a better deal would be nice too.
    That's all, folks.

I wouldn't mind smackdown on fox sports but would prefer it on lets say NBC. Same goes for Main Event. As for Saturday Morning Slam it'll be nice if it returned bc I tuned in a time or two and it was a proper kid programing.

Quote Originally Posted by Franchise View Post
    I'm sorry, "50 million U.S. television households with at least one WWE fan"? and "97 million active WWE fans"? I'd love to see how they got this number.
    I was wondering the same thing. That's like around 30% of the population and 40% of households. I know a lot of wrestling fans are in the closet but I that sounds crazy. Maybe they just have a loose definition for what constitutes a "fan."

But anyways I'd like to add my vote to the others in hoping SmackDown finds a better network.

I would be shocked if USA allowed Raw to leave. USA has made that mistake before and I think both parties regretted it. I don't mind Smackdown on SyFy but if they move, I just hope its to a channel I can get. When WWECW was on SyFy my cable company didn't carry it until just before ECW got axed. I do think that the E needs to work out a deal for Smackdown to be live. They've put such as emphasis on facebook, wanting people twittering during Raw and downloading the app that it really makes it obvious that Smackdown isn't a live show in comparison. I'd have no problem with Smackdown moving to another night as well. Wednesday would be good. I'd even take Thursdays now. All the shows I watched on Thursdays the last few years have been cancelled.

Thread Information