Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaked Internal Memo

Default Leaked Internal Memo

An internal WWE memo from a few years back recently leaked and stated a few things of interest:

* Vince McMahon no longer wants “Granddaddy of them all” using to describe WrestleMania because he feels it makes WrestleMania feel old and dated.

* Nobody can use the phrase “choke” for a submission move. Undertaker’s Hell’s Gate move was named Triangle submission hold.

* Producer Kevin Dunn stated that announcers can no longer use the phrase “title changes hands.”

* Vince banned the use of terms “five star match” and “match of the year.” As part of the memo banning those terms, Vince also wanted all announcers to “stop reading the dirt sheets” with the idea that it influences what they say.

* Stephanie McMahon sent a memo for announcers to never use the phrase “the referee didn’t see it” when a heel is doing something behind the referees back. She wrote that it makes it seem like the announcers are treating the fans like they are in grade school. Stephanie prefers “the referee’s vision was impaired” or “the referee’s vision was blocked.” Also, never use the word “hatred” or “hate” when describing a feud and the announcers should never say a talent doesn’t care about winning a match.

Well they must've gone back on the "match of the year" stuff because they have talked about matches recently like that. Don't get what's wrong about a "title changing hands" though.

I understand completely about the choking thing given what happened in 2007, and Steph's stuff makes sense too.

Default Re: Leaked Internal Memo

Wait, so Vince is aware that the majority of wrestling fans aren't in grade school?

The jabroni banning, troll canning, thread locking, always shocking. See a
    troll, don't worry I got him. Right after giving his candy ass a Lock Bottom.

@thepwforum

So Undertaker's Hell's Gate had a name change? Interesting that Hell in a Cell is still around then.

Believe in the Shield. Lilslimshady's Avatar

I am taking this memo with a grain of salt. The fact that it leaked years after the fact makes me very skeptical of it. I do believe the Granddaddy memo. Also, in the PG era, I understand not being able to use the word hatred. It sucks, but it is what it is and I get trying to appease sponsors and welcome in a PG fanbase with the kids at the forefront of that fanbase. I don't know if I believe the part about Vince telling Cole, JBL, Lawler not to read the sheets. They don't need to read them as they already have the inside scoop by virtue of just working for the company and being told the ongoing storylines.

This goes along with the memo and It's always bothered me: How do these employees that leak info to the sheets not get found out by Vince? I'm sure a couple of them have been caught. I can imagine Vince and his cronies have his eyes on the 20-30 disgruntled lower card-mid card talent at every live event to make sure they aren't stooging off to their family and friends and writers on the sheets. I doubt it's anybody in the creative time or in a management position. It's probably mostly disgruntled talent, and I cannot believe that they continually manage to pass this info on. What do you guys think about that? Maybe Vince likes some things leaked as it gets smart fans excited for the show. I'm sure some things get leaked on purpose to mess with us or to get us excited for the show. And yes, occasionally we get info that we should never be privelaged to.

Vince rarely does anything without there being a good reason behind it. That doesn't mean he's perfect and hasn't done some pretty stupid shit in the past. But I mean specifically over the past few years.

Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    Wait, so Vince is aware that the majority of wrestling fans aren't in grade school?
    Nope, I'm sure Vince still does. Steph is the one who does't think we are all in grade school.

Quote Originally Posted by WrestleMania 34 View Post
    So Undertaker's Hell's Gate had a name change? Interesting that Hell in a Cell is still around then.
    Triangle in a Cell has a certain ring to it.
    My Chris Jericho banner is broken.

One of the big things John Morrison used to say after he left WWE was that Vince McMahon was an unbelievable micro-manager and he's been known from years of reporting to lose his shit over the tiniest details, no matter how semingly stupid and mundane.

So, yeah. I buy this. Also, some of these read so much like the WWE Newspeak, so it really does add up.

"It's not a belt. It's a title. Belts hold your pants up! This is a championship title!"
    Quote Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
    I'll be honest, I'll probably chant CM Punk in Brooklyn again.

I'm a follower.

This will stay in my sig until John Cena vs. The Rock----THRICE AS NICE. Or until I don't think it's funny anymore.

tis not right in the head whocares's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
    An internal WWE memo from a few years back recently leaked and stated a few things of interest:

* Vince McMahon no longer wants “Granddaddy of them all” using to describe WrestleMania because he feels it makes WrestleMania feel old and dated.
    Why do I feel like the last time somebody called Wrestlemania "The Granddaddy of them all" Vince was on the commentary team?

* Nobody can use the phrase “choke” for a submission move. Undertaker’s Hell’s Gate move was named Triangle submission hold.
    Makes sense. I mean, choking is technically supposed to be illegal in wrestling. So, it makes sense to not call a submission move a choke hold.

* Producer Kevin Dunn stated that announcers can no longer use the phrase “title changes hands.”
    I would assume the reason for this one is because that phrase makes it sound like they'd be downplaying the event.

* Vince banned the use of terms “five star match” and “match of the year.” As part of the memo banning those terms, Vince also wanted all announcers to “stop reading the dirt sheets” with the idea that it influences what they say.
    Guess they don't want to give any legitimacy to the dirty sheet writers. No surprise there.

* Stephanie McMahon sent a memo for announcers to never use the phrase “the referee didn’t see it” when a heel is doing something behind the referees back. She wrote that it makes it seem like the announcers are treating the fans like they are in grade school. Stephanie prefers “the referee’s vision was impaired” or “the referee’s vision was blocked.”
    So, instead of saying "The ref didn't see it"... she wants them to say "The ref didn't see it" in a more complex manner? Sounds needless.

Also, never use the word “hatred” or “hate” when describing a feud
    Well, that's one way to erase the hate... Wah-Wah-Wah...

and the announcers should never say a talent doesn’t care about winning a match.
    So, what are they supposed to say when a wrestler walks away from a match?

Quote Originally Posted by WrestleMania 34 View Post
    I don't think it has anything to do with the word 'hell', it's more that whenever he locked it in, the announcers would go 'oh, there's that choke hold!' and then name it by it's Hell's Gate name.

2013 TBG Poster of the Year

Scotland, Celtic and FC Basel
    CELTIC (SPFL CHAMPIONS 2013/14)
    FC BASEL (SSL CHAMPIONS 2013/2014; SWISS CUP FINALISTS)

The WWE are starting to lose focus on reality, and instead live in a world of fantasy. With Matadors, midget bulls, finishers using a sock puppet, championships with butterflies on it, and a guy who talks to an imaginary friend.

We the People's Champion The Champ's Avatar

Truth dropped the Jimmy act a while ago and the Divas title and Cobra have been around for years.

Bender

This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

Quote Originally Posted by CM Punk'd View Post
    The WWE are starting to lose focus on reality, and instead live in a world of fantasy. With Matadors, midget bulls, finishers using a sock puppet, championships with butterflies on it, and a guy who talks to an imaginary friend.
    I thought that's why Vince created his universe...

Remember when the weren't allowed to call themselves "wrestlers"? Or use the word "wrestle"?

The WWE are starting to lose focus on reality, and instead live in a world of fantasy.
    The zombie thats been running roughshod since the early 90's didn't tip you off to this?
    baboosh

Quote Originally Posted by StonewalBrigade View Post
    Remember when the weren't allowed to call themselves "wrestlers"? Or use the word "wrestle"?
    We're still not. Daniel Bryan only did it because he's a rebel. Wrestlers are not what's best for business.

Superstars compete for championship titles on entertainment extravaganzas that are American pop culture turning points.

I'm a follower.

This will stay in my sig until John Cena vs. The Rock----THRICE AS NICE. Or until I don't think it's funny anymore.

Also, never use the word “hatred” or “hate” when describing a feud...
    Wat. I really am not getting this. So CM Punk doesn't hate Paul Heyman now he just strongly disapproves of his behavior because he's a big smelly face? It doesn't even make sense to me as a PG thing because in kids movies/cartoons villains talk about hating the heroes all the time and nobody bats an eye at that.

Support the real Mr. Ass.

They have been living a fantasy world for 25 years now.

Tito Santana was a matador
    Mankind used a sock
    Al Snow talked to an inanimate object
    Doink was a freakin clown with midget clowns

Then you have an Undertaker, an Ultimate Warrior, and a tax auditor (IRS.)

There was a point in the late 90's and early 2000's where I felt like WWE deserted their "fantasy" booking in terms of characters and instead focused more on bizarre story lines and absurd angles. Possibly all due to the influx of talent at the time.

Yeah, like WWE hears the term five star match that much these days. Seriously, once or twice a year at the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Back To Black View Post
    Yeah, like WWE hears the term five star match that much these days. Seriously, once or twice a year at the most.
    They might only produce a few matches a year worthy enough, but commentary can also make it seem like 25 a year.

Isn't Vince too old for a mid-life crisis?

We the People's Champion The Champ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Djm View Post
    We're still not. Daniel Bryan only did it because he's a rebel. Wrestlers are not what's best for business.

Superstars compete for championship titles on entertainment extravaganzas that are American pop culture turning points.
    Does it really mean nothing to you that the two guys who proudly call themselves "wrestlers" are WWE's two top babyfaces (at least for one more week)?

Bender

This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

Does it really mean nothing to you that the two guys who proudly call themselves "wrestlers" are WWE's two top babyfaces (at least for one more week)?
    I think until Cena is 6 feet Under, Deej will always consider him the top babyface. And even then he'll probably be pushed over Bryan.
    baboosh

Now residing in the 256 BestInThe205's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
    Triangle in a Cell has a certain ring to it.
    TRIANGLE IN A CELL: END OF A SURFACE AREA.
    (Mucho credit to Bender)

Quote Originally Posted by Falcone View Post
    I think until Cena is 6 feet Under, Deej will always consider him the top babyface. And even then he'll probably be pushed over Bryan.
    In that case, all that's left for Cena to do is rise above death to confirm his status as the messiah and our Lord & Savior.

And Champ? Yes, it matters. Almost as much as those two babyfaces mattered to the company that was pressing the panic button manically while they were around.

I'm a follower.

Thread Information