View Poll Results: Do you agree with John Cena here?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, he should have gone over in the "Once in a Lifetime" match.

28 54.90%
  • No, he got put over in the end anyway, so what does it matter?

23 45.10%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: John Cena Legitimately Wanted to Go Over at WrestleMania XXVIII

Greatest Champion Ever The Champ's Avatar

Exclamation John Cena Legitimately Wanted to Go Over at WrestleMania XXVIII

Quote Originally Posted by TWNP Wrestling News
    John Cena spoke to Dan Le Batard and Bomani Jones of ESPN’s Highly Questionable Show about the greatest shame of his career.

“Losing to the Rock at WrestleMania 28 in Miami. I spent a year telling everybody how important that match was to me, and how proud I am of all of this. The Rock was gracious enough to come back to the WWE and perform for one time and one time only, for WrestleMania 28 in his home town.”

Cena was asked why he was upset with the outcome of the match even though it was pre-determined.

“There is a giant underlying story that you may or may not know about. I really would have liked to be on top that night. It’s the good with the bad. The unique thing about the WWE is that it’s sport and that it’s entertainment, and it’s the best of both. Everybody wants to be the Super Bowl champion but there can only be one. And it was a bit of a disappointment that on that night I couldn’t be.”

“That’s one of those stories that years from they’re gonna put Dwayne Johnson on one seat at a table, and me at another seat at a table, and I’ll be smoking a cigar and we’ll both be drinking something out of a coffee cup. We’ll tell that story then … It’s an interesting story, and obviously it’s one that you want to hear about. So hopefully some day at the right time you will.”
    Now, I think the way they did it ended up being fine, but I find this to be very interesting nonetheless. I know this will inevitably turn into a Cena/Rock debate, but I feel like it should be discussed because I believe this is the first time we've heard that Cena was not 100 percent okay with going under that night.

What are your thoughts, PW? Is/was Cena being a baby, or does/did he have a legit gripe? Do you want to know the details of how this supposed argument went down as much as I do?

HAYZE

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Heyman
    My client, Brock Lesnar, conquered the Streak.
    This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

Default Re: John Cena Legitimately Wanted to Go Over at WrestleMania XXVIII

I saw that interview live and legit busted out laughing for about 5 minutes. I can see where Cena was coming from, but man. That was quality television.

Can't wait to hear that story when it's eventually told, though.

Yeah, I want to know what this story is.

Very rare to hear Cena complain about an outcome. Usually he falls right in line. I'm fascinated now.

They both got their win over each other it doesn't matter as long as we don't have to see it again

If Cena won the first match, then maybe we wouldn't have had to watch the feud extended for an extra year; and we could have already experienced and enjoyed Rock vs Lesnar, Undertaker vs Cena, and HHH vs Punk (which would've been far better than the shit we got last year)

he had to eat crow and wait a year to get his win back on a bigger NY stage. poor johnny boy.
    "Everyone back to my trailer for pot pies and mountain dew" - Kevin Nash

It'd be great if Austin returned and put Cena over.

I'm sure the story was about Rock leaving the WWE and all that shit.

Thanks Spike!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie91 View Post
    I'm sure the story was about Rock leaving the WWE and all that shit.
    I see where he is coming from. He was the full-time employed big star, he wanted the torch to be passed, instead they dragged it on for another year (although they did "shock" many by having Cena lose in the first place).

I agree with what i quoted too - i'm sure that is the story.

Not only do I understand where Cena is coming from, but I think I'd also react the same way had it been me in that situation. The Rock was a guy that left the WWE quite early in his career, who hadn't been around in like 8 years or something, and he gets to beat the guy carrying the company. Rather unfair, honestly, especially when you take into account the fact that a win for the Rock does nothing, considering he's not going to be the one still with the WWE for years and years to come.

Michaels felt the same about his match against Hogan at Summer Slam.
    BELIEVE IN THE SHIELD
    THE BEST NEWS IS BAD NEWS
    Cena fan for LIFE

Quote Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
    Yeah, I want to know what this story is.

Very rare to hear Cena complain about an outcome. Usually he falls right in line. I'm fascinated now.
    My exact thoughts.

I am very intrigued by this and I doubt we'll ever hear the true story, because they're never going to sit across the table from each other.
    - Credit to JV.
    THE KWF

"No WWE talent becomes a legend on their own. Every man's heart one day beats its final beat; his lungs breathe their final breath. And if what that man did in his life makes the blood pulse through the body of others and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory."

RIP WARRIOR

I can't imagine Cena and Rock in that scenario in a way that doesn't involve Cena blowing cigar smoke in Rock's face, dumping his beverage on Rock's head, and then a huge bar brawl happens.

In the end, the way things panned out was probably best for business. However, from a creative stand point, the Rock/Cena feud should have been one and done. Strike while the iron is hot and just go balls to the walls. Instead, it felt long and drawn out with both guys cutting really diluted promos just to fill in the gaps. The rematch also felt significantly weaker than the first. No special entrances, barely any glitz or glamour - just two guys taking turns hitting finishers on each other.
    Pimpin' Ain't Easy

I also remember a wrestling reporter (before the Mania 28 match) talking about feeling sorry for whatever agent had to sit in-between Cena and Rock and help call how the match would end. It ended the best way possible for an outcome like that. But I was legitimately pissed when The Rock won.
    BELIEVE IN THE SHIELD
    THE BEST NEWS IS BAD NEWS
    Cena fan for LIFE

Rock left???

am i wrong in remembering that vince, steph or someone in the WWE just let his contract expire??? (this is an honest question btw)
    "Everyone back to my trailer for pot pies and mountain dew" - Kevin Nash

The Conscience of the WWE White Heat's Avatar

I enjoyed Rock/Cena, but think it should have been Once in a Lifetime. I understand why it wasn't, but having one good match would have been better IMO. Rock putting Cena over clean. He did it anyways a year later, but it wasn't the same. Too predictable the second time around. But last year? No one knew how it was gonna end.

Is he just teasing a future Cena/Rock DVD?

Banner Credit: Spike

I really don't understand why John Cena would be mad at losing to Dwayne at WM 28.I could totally understand him being pissed off if his match with Dwayne was one and done and he had to job to him,then I would have been pissed as well sense I am the #1 guy having to job on the biggest stage of them all to and retired wrestler and actor.However what we got was in the end two matches with the end result of Cena beating Dwyane and getting his win back.So instead of doing a one and done type match and angle they got two Wrestlemania main events and big time paydays out the the deal and left the door open for a possible third(which I hope never happens) so Cena need to let it go.

If anyone should be pissed it should be CM Punk that had to job to Dwayne in back to back PPV matches which in turned made his year plus title reign look like a joke.

Yes considering the match should have happened one time and Cena should have won that one time and that's that. 2nd one had no lure considering that we had just seen the same two guys fight last year. Doesn't matter if the WWE title was on the line or not since the WWE Title didn't matter a whole ton in the grand scheme of things in this feud.

Cena's win the 2nd time felt like a gimmie one for putting Rock over the 1st time around and thus it really isn't all that special. Rock should have just lost to Cena the 1st time around and that's that.

- Justin Valuable

Blindy's V&G Reviews: Shovel Knight
    Next:

Quote Originally Posted by KingInTheNorth View Post
    I can't imagine Cena and Rock in that scenario in a way that doesn't involve Cena blowing cigar smoke in Rock's face, dumping his beverage on Rock's head, and then a huge bar brawl happens.
    Except it's Cena and not Austin and Cena would never have the balls to do so.

- Credit to JV.
    THE KWF

"No WWE talent becomes a legend on their own. Every man's heart one day beats its final beat; his lungs breathe their final breath. And if what that man did in his life makes the blood pulse through the body of others and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory."

RIP WARRIOR

Wish he woulda won at WM28 too. Then maybe we wouldn't have wasted the WM 29 main event.
    Credit to Fresh Prince for the awesome banner

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Except it's Cena and not Austin and Cena would never have the balls to do so.

balls = indecency

ohokiguessso

Banned

I think Rock needs to put over Cena one more time though. He should really return and face Cena at Mania for their Rubber match. Maybe a title unification to make it more interesting.

MO to the G to the UNS! BadNewsFan's Avatar

I think it probably hurt to lose to Rock because they really don't seem to like one another very much at all.

But there were many reasons that it happened the way it did here are my top 3.

1. Cena winning was too predictable, because Rock wasn't full time, most ppl expected Cena to win, and WWE loves "shocking" ppl.

2. Rock losing in his comeback Mania to Cena in Miami never felt right, especially when Cena is already such a polarizing figure, WWE probably wanted to play it safe and give the fans a happy ending, with their home town hero going over.

3. There's no money in a rematch if the guy who's supposed to win the first time actually wins the first time.

Anyways, he won the rematch and got another title reign out of it, so not really a big deal.

People can try to knock the Rock for going over but at least he came back to give one back to Cena.

Let's not forget Hogan refusing to put over HBK in a rematch, or how about how everyone glosses over the fact that Austin was notorious for not doing the job, most famously against HHH at SummerSlam 99.

They even tried to downplay that on the HHH DVD, but I remember when the news broke back in 99, and HHH was said to be furious about it.

Rock has always been known to put guys over, and in this feud he gave Cena the ultimate rub, by passing the torch in the main event of Mania for the title.

Don't see anything wrong with how it went down.

Shout out to Bender for the Bad Ass Bad News Banner!

Thread Information