Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question About Goldust

Default Question About Goldust

Since this whole Rhodes Family thing is so serious and so personal, even to the point of Dusty Rhodes using his real name on TV, am I the ONLY one who has thought all along that Dustin should just be Dustin for this, and not some gold-painted freak? Like when he and Cody came out in their street clothes on RAW, I think it would've been more effective if Dustin was NOT painted.

Banned

Default Re: Question About Goldust

I agree with that. I was wondering why the Hell he had all his makeup on. Like who wouldn't notice him in the crowd before he jumped the rail and attacked.

I agree, but I don't think it's that big of a deal either way.

HAYZE

Nah, I think Dustin is so used to being Goldust now, that he can't appear on tv(or wrestle) without the makeup. He would rather attack them as Goldust, than as Dustin.

surrender

Get ignored in the party so make a thread about something that is extremely inconsequential and will be forgotten in a week. There are some things that you just don't need to analyze or be so pedantic about.

Credit to DC for the hometown hero trophy

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz
    I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am then love me for something i'm not
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I'm still good. The usual "EVERYTHING IS AWFUL" crowd is typically unsatisfied.
    Winner of WWE Hometown Heroes at PW Mania X

tis not right in the head whocares's Avatar

Cody pretty much pointed out that Goldust was a persona that Dustin couldn't escape. So, there ya go.

Goldust is his well known wrestling persona so I don't mind it. I liked how when he wrestled Orton he was Goldust but was acting normal and not like a confused transvestite.

-Fresh Prince-
    Chief Ass Whooper of Sorry Sons of Bitches! - Stone Cold Steve Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Oncall View Post
    Get ignored in the party so make a thread about something that is extremely inconsequential and will be forgotten in a week. There are some things that you just don't need to analyze or be so pedantic about.
    Great way of answering the question.

Quote Originally Posted by whocares View Post
    Cody pretty much pointed out that Goldust was a persona that Dustin couldn't escape. So, there ya go.
    He escaped it quite well at the WWE Hall of Fame.

Quote Originally Posted by thedude View Post
    Goldust is his well known wrestling persona
    And Dusty Rhodes's well known persona is Virgil? If the American Dream can ditch his "well known wrestling persona" for one storyline, then Goldust sure can.

Quote Originally Posted by thalbleib View Post
    Since this whole Rhodes Family thing is so serious and so personal, even to the point of Dusty Rhodes using his real name on TV, am I the ONLY one who has thought all along that Dustin should just be Dustin for this, and not some gold-painted freak? Like when he and Cody came out in their street clothes on RAW, I think it would've been more effective if Dustin was NOT painted.
    Spot on he should just be Dustin Rhodes.People act like he was a nobody before he became Goldust in the WWE.I seem to remember he was a upper-mid carder in WCW during the early 90's and had runs as Tag Team champion and US champion.Everyone knows his name and ties to Cody and Dusty he should just be Dustin Rhodes.

To me its like when Mick Foley can back after his retirement and wrestled.Ya his most well know gimmick was Mankind or Cactus Jack but when he cameback and for the rest of his career he just wrestled as himself Mick Foley sense everyone knew his real name and just mix personas in.

tis not right in the head whocares's Avatar

He escaped it quite well at the WWE Hall of Fame.
    The Hall of Fame doesn't adhere to canon.

I pictured him coming in without the makeup but insisting that he put it on in the bathroom in the arena, bickering with Cody that it's something he needs to do or something like that. Would have made a funny backstage segment, but obviously would have killed the surprise.

And Dusty Rhodes's well known persona is Virgil? If the American Dream can ditch his "well known wrestling persona" for one storyline, then Goldust sure can.
    The only difference between the American Dream and Dusty Rhodes is his ring gear vs a suit. Even though Goldusts makeup doesn't cover his face exactly like a mask would, I think there would still be alot of people watching that would go "hey, who's that guy with Cody?" if they never saw him without his face paint on before. With that being said, I would prefer him coming out to his real name and no facepaint on as well for the purpose of this storyline. I just think it needs to be introduced to the audience more in an interview or a ring introduction vs a quick sneak attack. They needed everyone to know without a doubt that it was Goldust out there with Cody.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPresley21 View Post
    Spot on he should just be Dustin Rhodes.People act like he was a nobody before he became Goldust in the WWE.I seem to remember he was a upper-mid carder in WCW during the early 90's and had runs as Tag Team champion and US champion.Everyone knows his name and ties to Cody and Dusty he should just be Dustin Rhodes.
    I'm sure WWE has the mindset that 95% of the casual crowd probably has no idea about Dustins role in WCW 15-20 years ago though.

Quote Originally Posted by junior29 View Post
    I'm sure WWE has the mindset that 95% of the casual crowd probably has no idea about Dustins role in WCW 15-20 years ago though.
    And they would be correct.

HAYZE

I think in WWE canon, the relationship between Dustin and Goldust is the same as the relationship between Mick Foley and Mankind. Even when everybody knew Mick Foley was Mick Foley, and even after he wrestled as Mick Foley and as Cactus Jack, he still wore the mask and was called Mankind. Goldust is the more established character and more identifiable to the average fan. I've got no problem with him being Goldust the whole time. That character evolved over the years into more of the real person than the total persona it was in the 90's.

"I like cake."

Quote Originally Posted by MrAndersons Mic View Post
    Im posting my thoughts not for them to be debated or argued against. I would like for folks to understand and agree with my point of view while throwing dookie at the McMahons and laughing at it.

I like to imagine that Dustin Rhodes literally cannot go through his day without putting on his facepaint.

Personally I like to imagine his brain got short circuited when he got electrocuted and while he's somewhat recovered from that he still compulsively feels the need to wear face-paint and call himself Goldust.

Support the real Mr. Ass.

Quote Originally Posted by KingInTheNorth View Post
    I like to imagine that Dustin Rhodes literally cannot go through his day without putting on his facepaint.
    How does that explain the HOF then?

How does that explain the HOF then?
    Hall of Fame isn't canon. Mick Foley still hasn't pinned Chris Jericho. Stop reaching.

"I am Ultimate Warrior. You are the ultimate warrior fans. And the spirit of Ultimate Warrior will run forever"
    R.I.P. Warrior

Now residing in the 256 BestInThe205's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I think in WWE canon, the relationship between Dustin and Goldust is the same as the relationship between Mick Foley and Mankind. Even when everybody knew Mick Foley was Mick Foley, and even after he wrestled as Mick Foley and as Cactus Jack, he still wore the mask and was called Mankind. Goldust is the more established character and more identifiable to the average fan. I've got no problem with him being Goldust the whole time. That character evolved over the years into more of the real person than the total persona it was in the 90's.
    Pretty much this.
    (Mucho credit to Bender)

I thought about this during the attack last night too. It seems silly that Dustin still had his makeup on, but it doesn't bother me too much. It was fine for the attack. Maybe going forward they'll reintroduce him with no makeup on.

The fans are a lot more likely to get behind Goldust than Dustin Rhodes.

OK I just watched the attack Cody and Goldust did on the Shield and yea Goldust looked goofy as hell wearing the face paint and street clothes. If he's gonna put the face paint on then he has to go all or nothing and put the gold outfit on too.

-Fresh Prince-
    Chief Ass Whooper of Sorry Sons of Bitches! - Stone Cold Steve Austin

Quote Originally Posted by thedude View Post
    Goldust looked goofy as hell wearing the face paint and street clothes.
    Exactly!

I thought the same thing. Forget all this physiological crap. It makes it more "real" if he's Dustin Rhodes instead of his stupid character. I like "The Natural". And ever since he came into this feud he's been called "Dustin" or "Dustin Rhodes" or "Goldust". The younger audience might not know him that well but heck, I'm 26 and when he was popular in WCW I was like 5 or 6 years old. People can put two and two together. Instead saying "It's Goldust, Cody's brother. Otherwise known as Dustin Rhodes", you could say "Oh! It's Cody's brother Dustin! He played the character called Goldust" or something along those lines. I've always been fond of the "realism" that's put into wrestling. Like "The Outsiders" angle leading to the NWO. Who remembers the Nitro that Nash threw Mysterious into the truck head first and the neighbors in that area actually called the cops because they thought it was some gang fight. That's just good stuff

Thread Information