Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Chris Jericho speaks about kayfabe

  1. #1
    Senior Member Vince Mcmahon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,665

    Default Chris Jericho speaks about kayfabe

    On kayfabe still existing in wrestling: "I think sometimes it confuses the fans when you do too much insider stuff, before I came back in 2012, I remember when Punk and Nash were having their feud and their were going back and forth and Nash said: "You would never draw a dime." I think people do not understand what that really means. I think we all assume that people read the sheets and read the internet and really eighty percent don't. I'm a big music fan, I read Billboard magazine and I follow charts and read the reviews and see what's going on but I guarantee that eighty percent of people that like music don't or eighty percent of people that watch movies don't read the receipts every week .

    I think when people say: "Edge didn't draw a dime" and that's supposed to be a "heat getting line" and people really do not know what that even means. Edge was a ten-time World Champion so doesn't that mean he was good? So what, he never took a pencil, drew a circle and wrote "10 cents" in the middle of it. I mean, what does "drawing a dime" really mean? I think we assume that everybody knows as much about wrestling as we do. Telling people: "You're too small" or "You're too ugly" and Big Show is broke so he needs the money, it's like if I've been working for WWE and I was broke, something is wrong with me! I don't want to cheer for Big Show if he is broke after 14 years, you question yourself on: "What the hell were you spending all your money on?" You're a former World Champion. When I watched Stampede Wrestling, I saw a wrestler by the name of Goldie Rodgers and he was an opening match jobber and I was thinking: "If I can be like Goldie Rodgers, that's all I want, he is probably making one hundred and fifty thousand a year. Little did I know that he was making fifty a night and probably getting ripped off. To me because he was on television, he was a superstar and rich.

    That's what we need to portray our WWE superstars to be. When they are talking about the pre-show, it's like "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" when (Mike) Damone talks to Mark "Rat" Ratner: "Where ever you are, it's the place to be." If you're on the pre-show, it's going to be the biggest pre-show of your life. When you fighting for the Intercontinental Championship, I was fighting (Curtis) Axel , I wanted them to do in-ring introductions, it either got cut off before I got to the ring or someone forgot to do it, this is a title match on a network television show. Why are we not making this a big deal? I don't care if it's the Intercontinental Championship, it's a championship, it doesn't matter if it's the World Championship or the Midget Championship, it should be treated as such because if we don't treat it as such then nobody will. It's the same way with these storylines too. "Daniel Bryan is small and ugly." I never noticed that. I don't know how big he is. You see these guys in the ring and they are all the same size unless you're the Big Show or Rey Mysterio. He's got a beard, ok. He's ugly, ok who cares, and who said your ugly. Maybe under that beard, he's the hottest guy. I don't know. But sometimes they do these things that they thing are going to get heat but I'm not sure if it does get heat."

    Read more at http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/ne...35zgDHMWrSR.99
    Who is the boss? Who made wrestling? Who is sports entertainment?

    WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

  2. #2

    Default Re: Chris Jericho speaks about kayfabe

    Jericho #pipebombshell

    I would so wish for Jericho to come back like this now.

    Thanks to Bender and Stefan.


  3. #3
    COYG Todd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Wales
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,102

    Default Re: Chris Jericho speaks about kayfabe

    He doesn't always talk buckets of sense, but in this case I must say he very much did.

  4. #4
    An AJPW Guy Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    England
    Age
    25
    Posts
    8,702

    Default Re: Chris Jericho speaks about kayfabe

    I don't have any objections to people calling Daniel Bryan small and ugly for the sake of a storyline. I agree with Jericho that it isn't immediately obvious that Daniel Bryan is especially small, unlike a Rey Mysterio, but that doesn't mean heels mocking Bryan for being small is a bad thing. The whole point of these taunts is to get the fans to rally behind Daniel Bryan: he has proven himself as the best wrestler in the WWE, yet he is being held back for superficial reasons such as his height and his beard. I wouldn't really call that an insider thing either. I know this mindset has its roots in "vanilla midget"-esque shooty comments, but it's something that can easily be brought to the main WWE storyline without alienating or confusing casual fans.

    In comparison, using things like "you never drew a dime" or "you're broke lol" as fuel for heat is potentially alienating and confusing and I completely agree with Jericho about that. Those kind of things should not be brought up on national TV.

  5. #5
    Konnichiwa! Krimzon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Age
    27
    Posts
    7,975

    Default Re: Chris Jericho speaks about kayfabe

    Insider terms really do take away from the product, because the people that don't know them won't understand and the people that do know them will sigh and be annoyed. They're better off not being used. Drawing and ratings don't matter to fans. If it won't matter to the fans, it shouldn't be on the show.


  6. #6
    The Last Sitting Duck Push's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ireland
    Age
    28
    Posts
    846

    Default Re: Chris Jericho speaks about kayfabe

    I would be shocked if anybody thought drawing a dime literally meant drawing a dime. Come on. Even non insiders would get that one.
    Bring back the fourth wall

  7. #7
    An AJPW Guy Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    England
    Age
    25
    Posts
    8,702

    Default Re: Chris Jericho speaks about kayfabe

    Quote Originally Posted by Push Goldust View Post
    I would be shocked if anybody thought drawing a dime literally meant drawing a dime. Come on. Even non insiders would get that one.
    That example was clearly not meant to be taken seriously. Jericho was just exaggerating his point that casual fans don't know what "drawing a dime" means. If they have not heard the term "drawing" in the wrestling industry context, they would be baffled by that expression.

  8. #8
    Believe in the Shield. Lilslimshady's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    24
    Posts
    3,734

    Default Re: Chris Jericho speaks about kayfabe

    I love how Jericho reveals insider stuff to the 200,000 people that know the wrestling lexicon and the ins and outs. He really does take you behind the curtain which I'm sure other veteran guys probably hate. But, whatever. I'm going to go out on a limb and say 95 percent of WWE fans don't read dirtsheets or know what dirtsheets are. Would you guys agree with that? So I agree that mentioning insider terms on Raw or Smackdown might not be wise. Out of a crowd of 10,000, only 200 smarks are going to get it. And yes, being one of the 200, I'd eat it out but I don't know if it's wise if the majority of people have no clue what kayfabe is or what a jobber is for example. And yes, you have the 3-5 shows a year in New York or Chicago or Miami or Toronto where maybe 1,000 people get it and then others join along to fit in. But, that was great inside information from Jericho.

  9. #9
    The Last Sitting Duck Push's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ireland
    Age
    28
    Posts
    846

    Default Re: Chris Jericho speaks about kayfabe

    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
    That example was clearly not meant to be taken seriously. Jericho was just exaggerating his point that casual fans don't know what "drawing a dime" means. If they have not heard the term "drawing" in the wrestling industry context, they would be baffled by that expression.
    To draw a crowd is not a wrestling term originally. It's hardly a major leap for somebody to connect drawing a crowd means drawing revenue which leads to drawing a dime.

    Anyway if he didn't mean for the example to be taken seriously, then he shouldn't have used it as an example.
    Bring back the fourth wall

  10. #10
    Senior Member Bang Bang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,079

    Default Re: Chris Jericho speaks about kayfabe

    More importantly I liked how Jericho said Championship matches should be given respect. Apparently no one at WWE share his mentality



    I am not threatened by any man whose name is three letters.

    - Damien Sandow
    in response to RVD's return

  11. #11
    An AJPW Guy Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    England
    Age
    25
    Posts
    8,702

    Default Re: Chris Jericho speaks about kayfabe

    Quote Originally Posted by Push Goldust View Post
    To draw a crowd is not a wrestling term originally. It's hardly a major leap for somebody to connect drawing a crowd means drawing revenue which leads to drawing a dime.
    It's easy to say that when you're a pro-wrestling fan who knows the term. I'm sure some casuals may be able to work it out, but not all of them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Push Goldust View Post
    Anyway if he didn't mean for the example to be taken seriously, then he shouldn't have used it as an example.
    This is Chris Jericho we're talking about. It's an interview; he doesn't have to be super serious all the time. It was just a humorous throwaway comment.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Darkmania's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    In the true North - Strong and Free!
    Posts
    6,070

    Default Re: Chris Jericho speaks about kayfabe

    Quote Originally Posted by Bang Bang View Post
    More importantly I liked how Jericho said Championship matches should be given respect. Apparently no one at WWE share his mentality
    I agree, it is sad how some of the belts, especially the IC title get treated some times.


    Thanks JV for the artwork!!

  13. #13
    Senior Member Vince Mcmahon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,665

    Default Re: Chris Jericho speaks about kayfabe

    I agree with Jericho, but I think SOMETIMES using smarkisms to get over a storyline can work. HHH's use of "best for business" right now explains WHY he is doing what he is doing as a guy who thinks he is doing what's best for his family's business. EVERYONE can understand and follow that. Other times I just think it's done to wink at the more educated fans and not meant for the mainstream audience to understand at times because sometimes you have to give that depth for heat with the more jaded fans.

    The reason I have this theory is that it was a HUGE reason imo why the boss vs. Austin worked so well. As mentioned in some markets that small portion of the audience who do get it help make it get over eventually when used for something bigger which is what happened there with Austin vs. the boss. The whole "corporate champion" thing worked because fans understood sometimes the company does manufacture images for public consumption and media attention which causes fans to rebel at the forced nature of things

    I agree completely about the "broke" stuff though. The championship stuff is obvious to everyone except some higher ups in the company lol.
    Who is the boss? Who made wrestling? Who is sports entertainment?

    WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,146

    Default Re: Chris Jericho speaks about kayfabe

    I don't think drawing a dime comments are the least bit insider. In all sports players are brought in to revive a sagging franchise and excite the fans again. That's why fuckin Teabow gets a spot on team after team despite sucking because fans want to come see him for some godless reason. It's why the Wizards hired Jordan as a GM that activated himself Jackie Moon style. That's why Beckham was brought to US soccer. Etc etc etc.

  15. #15
    MO to the G to the UNS! BadNewsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Seattle Washington
    Posts
    2,040

    Default Re: Chris Jericho speaks about kayfabe

    I think a lot of all the insider stuff being used is confusing and sorta breaks the illusion that some people may allow themselves to have while watching this stuff.

    By talking about guys drawing and guys getting pushed or held back, they kind of run the risk of highlighting the fact that this is all fake and people who succeed are chosen to do so, which is potentially very off putting for viewers.

    The McMahon/Austin feud was wise to stay away from too many insider themes and kept most of the feud a fictional story about a boss who kept placing obsticles in front of an employee that he hated.

    Some of it had to do with what's good for busisness but most of it was so over the top and crazy that it didn't seem so far from just good fiction, or kayfabe.

    This Bryan story and Big Show stuff are both playing up insider themes a bit too much IMO.

    So I agree with Jericho here.


    Shout out to Bender for the Bad Ass Bad News Banner!

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    18

    Default Re: Chris Jericho speaks about kayfabe

    Well the Big Show story is certainly. I think the Bryan storyline is closer to Austin's and is fine.

  17. #17
    The Last Sitting Duck Push's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ireland
    Age
    28
    Posts
    846

    Default Re: Chris Jericho speaks about kayfabe

    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
    It's easy to say that when you're a pro-wrestling fan who knows the term. I'm sure some casuals may be able to work it out, but not all of them.
    I disagree and doubt there's a point continuing this.
    Bring back the fourth wall

  18. #18
    Moderately Moderating Michinokudriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    San Francisco
    Age
    32
    Posts
    8,705

    Default Re: Chris Jericho speaks about kayfabe

    The 'draw a dime' comment is insider in that it only makes sense if 'rasslin is fake.

    If wrestling is real, then what does it matter how many fans you bring in? The only thing that matters is how well you perform in the ring; if you're good enough to win matches and lots of 'em against all sorts of wrestlers. Criticizing a former World champ as "you never drew a dime" is about as relevant as "you're a bad cook," which is to say not very relevant at all.

    That said, the HHH/Bryan storyline does make sense even in kayfabeland. The champion is at once the best wrestler in the company AND the public face of it; the one who goes on talk shows and does PR work and all that good stuff. (In real life it's Cena but storyline-wise it's whoever the champ is.) So if you're the boss, the guy who holds the title is someone who you do not trust to handle the latter part of being the champ, what do you do?

    Nominee: PW's Most Knowledgeable Poster, 2006
    Co-winner: PW's Most Knowledgeable Nerd, 2006

  19. #19
    Senior Member Vince Mcmahon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,665

    Default Re: Chris Jericho speaks about kayfabe

    Quote Originally Posted by Michinokudriver View Post
    The 'draw a dime' comment is insider in that it only makes sense if 'rasslin is fake.

    If wrestling is real, then what does it matter how many fans you bring in? The only thing that matters is how well you perform in the ring; if you're good enough to win matches and lots of 'em against all sorts of wrestlers. Criticizing a former World champ as "you never drew a dime" is about as relevant as "you're a bad cook," which is to say not very relevant at all.
    I disagree because even in boxing the champion doesn't always get the biggest pay. For example there were times Tyson would get guaranteed money much more than the next guy while he wasn't champion. Why? Because Tyson was the guy who "drew the dime". I understand where you're coming from, but I don't think it actually breaks kayfabe that much in this context.

    Even the Austin angle with the boss there were times the boss admitted Austin wasn't fired because he made him money. The boss STILL didn't want Austin as Champion because he was seen as bad publicity with his Texas redneck rebellious image.
    Who is the boss? Who made wrestling? Who is sports entertainment?

    WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •