Thread: How much longer do you think professional wrestling as a major sport last?

Post How much longer do you think professional wrestling as a major sport last?

Since the early 1900s the sport of professional wrestling has grown from carnivals to worldwide PPVs and company's like WWE and TNA and ROH and new Japan pro wrestling. And even defunct companies like WCW and ECW. There was once a time when wrestling was one of the top professional sports in the world. Such as the 80s during the pro wrestling boom and territorial years. Then ther was the 90s with the rise and fall of WCW and ECW, the atittude era in the wwe and a overall boom in the Monday night wars. How ever after the wars wrestling did decline in popularity. But companies have risen like TNA and ROH and other world organizations. Yet again WWE has declined in popularity (compared to the 80s and 90s) and tna is struggling and companies like roh or companies all over the world aren't as popular. And due to the overall decline. I don't see wrestling picking back up. I've seen many people say they have lost intrest. I have up to ten freinds who use to watch wrestling but stop watching it a long time ago (2 to 4 years ago). And I just wanna know how much longer will professional wrestling be popular. People are losing interest unless they are real fans (like me and many others). Also wrestling has been around for hundreds of years. Can it last hundreds more? Or will it been gone in a hundred. The McMahon dynast could still be lasting but will they know how to run WWE? Tna is on its last legs and I don't see it lasting 5 years. And many independent companies aren't growing. All we have is WWE. And if they are gone we have nothing left. So how much longer will wrestling as a professional televised franshise last? Times have change. As more lose interest then less talents are available. Look at wwe and tna they all use to have shit loads of very good talent. Now we have some but not as much as back then. I know we are in the end times and it seems that history is coming to a close but just when that will happen I don't know. So I want your opinion how long will professional wrestling as a major franchise sport last? The already took it out of the Olympics so when?

Believe in the Shield. Lilslimshady's Avatar

Default Re: How much longer do you think professional wrestling as a major sport last?

This is such a good question. I have deeply considered this numerous times. My gut feeling is that it won't last forever unfortunately. My fear is that my grandchildren will have no idea what Pro-Wrestling even is. I can see it lasting another 50 years, 100 years maximum. Interest in ROH and TNA isn't growing. WWE's product is good and has been popular for quite some time. But all good things must come to an end. Triple H and Steph and others will carry the WWE successfully for another 30-40 years. I don't know the successor after that. People aren't drawn to Pro-Wrestling like they used to be. Young adults love playing Basketball and getting into that as it's a quick way to make big money. Especially with MMA as an option and that industry will only grow. There are some good young talent, but do I think we have a bunch of Jericho's, Punk's, HHH's, Taker's, Cena's, Rock's, Austin's on our hand? No, I don't. And that makes me sad as fuck.

Greatest Champion Ever The Champ's Avatar

Default Re: How much longer do you think professional wrestling as a major sport last?

I don't really see any reason why it would be in jeopardy. People forget that while WWE may not be "booming" in the States, it has increased its global presence tenfold, which will ensure much success for many years to come.

HAYZE

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Heyman
    My client, Brock Lesnar, conquered the Streak.
    This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

Believe in the Shield. Lilslimshady's Avatar

Yes, I agree. The worldwide audience is there. But, you just have to always wonder how long it can be sustained. We constantly need a new crop. All the great talent we have today has a max of 10 years left. The entire current roster for WWE will probably all be retired by 2025, and definitely by 2030.

Three seems to be the magic number in a lot of ways so from WWF/E's point of view, I think we're due for another boom period sometime probably within the next 3-5 years. But after that, I don't think wrestling will ever reach that peak of popularity ever again. And when I look at the way WWF/E always progresses with each boom period - the first time, they became national, and the second time, they became a publicly traded company - I wonder what new peak they could reach the third time around. I'm thinking it might just be buying out literally everyone else. TNA, ROH, maybe even new Japan and All Japan (I really don't see why they would and I have no idea what the state of those companies are, I'm just throwing that out there), etc. Or maybe the third time around will be when someone (TNA) finally defeats WWE and it all comes crashing down, but I don't ever, ever, ever, ever, ever see that happening. Once again, just throwing things out there.

Anyway, IMO, after Vince dies, perhaps HHH will do a great job but after that, who knows. By the time 2100 gets here, I'm fairly certain that WWE won't be around, at least in the capacity that it is now, and pro wrestling (or at least the North American pro wrestling scene) will die along with it. That'll pretty much be pro wrestling's legacy on the world IMO.

Now residing in the 256 BestInThe205's Avatar

Honestly, I have no clue.

I guess the easy answer is sit back, watch, and enjoy it until it isn't anymore.
    (Mucho credit to Bender)

Interesting question. What intrigues me most is how the WWE will change, if at all, after Vince is dead.

Pro-wrestling has always been a niche product. If it ever becomes huge in the mainstream, it will only be for a few years. As far as the US goes, I can see WWE ruling the roost and going on comfortably for a very long time. Sure it's not as popular as it was in 1998 but they still have millions of loyal fans around the world, and that's not going to go away any time soon. It's possible that, down the line, a new company might rise to compete with WWE. It's very hard to make long-term predictions, but I think in the short/mid-term, business will be pleasant for the WWE.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
    Pro-wrestling has always been a niche product. If it ever becomes huge in the mainstream, it will only be for a few years. As far as the US goes, I can see WWE ruling the roost and going on comfortably for a very long time. Sure it's not as popular as it was in 1998 but they still have millions of loyal fans around the world, and that's not going to go away any time soon. It's possible that, down the line, a new company might rise to compete with WWE. It's very hard to make long-term predictions, but I think in the short/mid-term, business will be pleasant for the WWE.
    Doesn't that already exist with Dana White's UFC?

Quote Originally Posted by Weezl View Post
    The UFC will never compete against the WWE. That would be one of the stupidest things they could do is to get Vince Mcmahon on your bad side, and they know this. I wouldn't doubt it one bit if the WWE was one of the parties involved in keeping MMA out of NY though.

I was referring to strictly pro-wrestling companies.

Quote Originally Posted by AtittudeForLife View Post
    Since the early 1900s the sport of professional wrestling has grown from carnivals to worldwide PPVs and company's like WWE and TNA and ROH and new Japan pro wrestling. And even defunct companies like WCW and ECW. There was once a time when wrestling was one of the top professional sports in the world. Such as the 80s during the pro wrestling boom and territorial years. Then ther was the 90s with the rise and fall of WCW and ECW, the atittude era in the wwe and a overall boom in the Monday night wars. How ever after the wars wrestling did decline in popularity. But companies have risen like TNA and ROH and other world organizations. Yet again WWE has declined in popularity (compared to the 80s and 90s) and tna is struggling and companies like roh or companies all over the world aren't as popular. And due to the overall decline. I don't see wrestling picking back up. I've seen many people say they have lost intrest. I have up to ten freinds who use to watch wrestling but stop watching it a long time ago (2 to 4 years ago). And I just wanna know how much longer will professional wrestling be popular. People are losing interest unless they are real fans (like me and many others). Also wrestling has been around for hundreds of years. Can it last hundreds more? Or will it been gone in a hundred. The McMahon dynast could still be lasting but will they know how to run WWE? Tna is on its last legs and I don't see it lasting 5 years. And many independent companies aren't growing. All we have is WWE. And if they are gone we have nothing left. So how much longer will wrestling as a professional televised franshise last? Times have change. As more lose interest then less talents are available. Look at wwe and tna they all use to have shit loads of very good talent. Now we have some but not as much as back then. I know we are in the end times and it seems that history is coming to a close but just when that will happen I don't know. So I want your opinion how long will professional wrestling as a major franchise sport last? The already took it out of the Olympics so when?
    They took wrestling out of the Olympics and that has still yet to be determined...not pro-wrestling...enormous difference. Pro Wrestling will continue as long as their is interest, which will most likely be our lifetimes and beyond. Maybe not the WWE per se, but something that has enough $$ to back it. WWE/TNA had a lot of talent leave for many reasons...a lot of time it's not due to their in ring skills, but their personalities or mic skills. You could form a pretty competitive (IMO) Fed with all of the talent that someone in TNA/WWE got rid of, because they determined they weren't any good..

Wrestling will live forever...it's the supreme base skill for MMA, plus kids don't usually enter sports thinking beyond the immediate present. Do I have like this and is it fun, wins out over...I wonder if I can be a pro or in the Olympics?

Pro-Wrestling was already huge in the mainstream, it was called, Hulkamania and in a lot of ways, they're still working off this...Wrestlmania is known all over the world and gets covered by legit media. Wrestlers have become actors and go on talk shows, all the time.

From Bender's Banner Shop Emporium and Deli

As long as the McMahon family runs their business well and employs the right people, then they will continue to make money. As long as they continues to make money, they can continue to push the product to kids. And as long as they continue to push the product to kids then pro wrestling is safe in some shape and form.

The social media bandwagon they are on will ensure the product continues to grow.
    Bring back the fourth wall

Banned

Making comparisons to 98 is fallacy. In 98 you had maybe 30 channels available as opposed to the hundreds available these days. Southerners have the 500 hillbilly reality shows vying for their time, UFC completely sold out it's soul and changed what it was to get popularity,college football games are far more available,etc. Just not going to get those monday night war ratings again when the on-the-fence crowd has other shit to watch.

That said,big league pro wrestling isn't going back to the high school gyms anytime soon. Vince Mcmahon will live long enough to have the first robots vs wrestlers ppv. The product will change but it's not going anywhere. Now if you were talking baseball...

There seems to have always been an appetite for pro-wrestling, and I don't see it going away. Sure, it may take a few steps back from time to time, however I doubt it will ever stop being on network tv and ppvs.

The only thing I get worried about sometimes is that there is no one to take over for Cena when he retires and or has a major injury. Bryan may turn out to be that guy, however I do think pro-wrestling does best when it has a bona fide Superstar, a guy who can draw all types of fans in and is well known across all forms of media.

Thanks JV for the artwork!!

UFC changed what it was to get popularity? Oh do tell. Just do it in the Fight Club sub-forum in Sports Empire...I'd love to see this explanation.

Wrestling will never die it will always be a niche interest to the masses.

Thanks Bender

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cereal Killer View Post
    UFC changed what it was to get popularity? Oh do tell. Just do it in the Fight Club sub-forum in Sports Empire...I'd love to see this explanation.
    adding rounds and weight classes instead of sticking with what started it.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaKid View Post
    adding rounds and weight classes instead of sticking with what started it.
    So if they didn't become a real sport, rather than a toughman competition...makes total sense. The fact it was banned in nearly every state and couldn't get on PPV...it was adapt or fold. It would have been insane to keep doing the same thing and expecting different results.

Interesting question. What intrigues me most is how the WWE will change, if at all, after Vince is dead.
    This is the biggest mystery that has yet to be answered.

As for the question let's not forget pro wrestling was huge when television started out, but didn't get back to those levels till like 50 years later when Hogan and Andre had their championship title match on LIVE NBC.

There will always be ups and downs, but the WrestleMania Era for the most part has cut down on the huge down times in comparison to the past.

How much is that is due to the boss at the helm? It seems like plenty when you take into the track record of past promoters.
    Who is the boss? Who made wrestling? Who is sports entertainment?

WRESTLEMANIA 4 LIFE~~

Thread Information