Thread: General MMA Discussion Thread

vCash
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: General MMA Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RagnarokMike View Post
    Suspended for leaving the cage while celebrating? That's the silliest damn thing, why can't he celebrate outside the cage?
    The whole concept that the nfl fines players for celebrating blows me away.
    I am your God

Middle of Nowhere (By way of Cleveland, City of Kings and Champions.)
    vCash
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Cyborg was offered a fight against Holm for the 145 LB title and declined it, and then De Randamie and declined it.

Says she needs at least 12 weeks notice. Hopefully she gets offered it again against Holm, I think that might be a solid fight if Holm can get motivated and box to perfection.

2x PW Power 25 Winner

Currently Playing - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild and NBA 2K17

PW Game of the Year 2016 - Voting now open.

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn they uploaded a shit ton of Extreme Challenge to the Fight Pass. This was midwest fight league where a lot of guys come from, the home territory for the Militech guys, Pat Militech, Matt Hughes, Robbie Lawler, Jeremy Horn, etc. I randomly loaded up Extreme Challenge 41 from 2001 just to check it out. The opening intro has the Undertaker Ministry of Darkness theme song as the fight card text scrolls along, pretty stacked card with Matt Hughes, Rich Franklin, and Robbie Lawler all on the card. They also advertise a tag team match with Pat and Jeremy Horn vs somebody and Tim Sylvia!!! WTF!?!?! I'm a few minutes into this and it's in a ring in a small bar type of venue, very similar to some of the venues I fought in back in the day. This is very interesting to say the least. First guy in the first fight comes out with a hockey mask and Jason Voorhees style jumpsuit.

Damn Robbie Lawler looks like he's 16 here, he comes out to DMX Ain't No Sunshine, this is Robbie's 4th MMA fight. Man this is so cool.

Oh my god, this fucking tag team match is awesome. It's submissions only, 2 out of 3 submissions, five second rule applies so if you make a tag you get 5 seconds to double team the guy. The DJ does commentary through the match, it's just all a big goof off but it's really good though, the crowd is all about it and the guy doing commentary is pretty funny. This is great. You got to see this.

What a fucking awesome show.

Jason Black, I remember the hype for this guy when he was coming up, Militech trained guy that dominated the indy scene coming up but never really turned out to be much in the big leagues. Pretty interesting fight here on this show, submission rules only against some random guy I don't recognize. This is a really interesting match because it's just straight no holds barred submission wrestling match, some hard slams, no rope breaks. These are the submission wrestling type of rules I like the most, a lot of competitions won't allow slams and a lot of holds are barred in a lot of Jujitsu/submission wrestling competitions.

Love all the entrance music everybody used, Du Hast, Freak on a Leash, Down with the Sickness, Rich Franklin comes out to some weird techno shit. So interesting seeing these guys fighting in this setting, very small bar with maybe 300 people at the most, maybe closer to 150-200, looks like an ECW show at The Flagstaff in Jim Thorpe, same Fan Cam video quality and everything.

Damn, Rich Franklin had his hands full here with some guy I don't recognize. Ole dude puts him on his back and gives him a pretty hard time for a majority of the first round. Rich comes back with a big high kick in the second round, mounts the guy and finishes it with some good ground and pound. This was Rich's 12th fight, 12-0 on his way up. Good fight, best of this show so far.

Matt Hughes comes out to Limp Bizkit. Fuck! At least it's Break Stuff, the song that killed Woodstock. Pretty big mismatch here, Hughes has been all over the world, Rings, Shooto, UFC, 26-3 at this point, probably a top 5 Welterweight in the world fighting an 8-0 guy(Chet Lavender I think) in front of about 100 or so people in a bar. The good ole days.

Hughes is fucking shredded here. Surprisingly competitive fight here even though Hughes keeps him pinned to his back, the guy manages to stay surprisingly active, while not really taking any big damage. Hughes takes side mount and lands a knee to the guy's head at one point, so knees to the head on the ground was legal here. You can see some people sitting ringside smoking cigarettes. Total game changer for your cardio fighting in a smoky bar. Very good first round. Man this is so great. Hughes grinds on this dude and wears him out by the third round, finishing it with an arm triangle choke from full mount. He goes on to beat Carlos Newton for the UFC Welterweight strap like 4 months later. Damn interesting show right here, I really dug it. Gonna have to watch some more of these.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 01-01-2017 at 12:15 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many women in the UFC have been legit KO'd? I'm not talking about being pounded until getting rescued by a referee, but legit flattened out, went to sleep knockout.

I can only think of Ronda Rousey via Holly Holme kick and Bec Rawlings via Page Vanzant kick.

Anyone else?

Edit: Just checked, Bec Rawlings didn't got to sleep. I think Alexis Davis did against Rousey though.
    Last edited by Dose; 01-03-2017 at 12:12 AM.

Credit to BezerroBizarro from DeviantArt and Lony for Resisizing!
    http://bezerrobizarro.deviantart.com...oshi-163705876
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    0 days since a Cena fight. C'mon guys we need to at least get it up to two.
    http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=123457 THE KID VS DOSE MATCH IS ON!!!!

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bethe Corriera face down ass up ko on the straight outta Compton logo.

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Doing a bit of research on Minoru Suzuki led me to an amazing playlist where Bas Ruten commentated on all of his fights.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._QLLaparTScwRr

I've watched his first few fights in Pancrase. It's remarkable to me how a guy who by his own admission knew nothing about grappling was able to tap someone out with a guillotine and then break someone's shinbone with a heel hook, a move he learnt apparently by seeing it somewhere. I mean, surely a heel hook is the kind of move you have to practice? Aside from that, his striking ability is insane.

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if that's true, he was training under Karl Gotch in New Japan and later on in UWF and in Pro Wrestling Fujiwara Gumi. Gotch was a master catch wrestler that trained in the Snake Pit. I thought it was pretty well known that both Suzuki and Funaki learned from Gotch.

vCash
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
    I don't know if that's true, he was training under Karl Gotch in New Japan and later on in UWF and in Pro Wrestling Fujiwara Gumi. Gotch was a master catch wrestler that trained in the Snake Pit. I thought it was pretty well known that both Suzuki and Funaki learned from Gotch.
    Are you talking about Bas Ruten here?

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suzuki.

Rutten also I believe trained submissions from Suzuki and Funaki in preparation for the Shamrock fights(he still got subbed but got way better on the ground from that training). That's what I read anyways.

vCash
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
    Suzuki.

Rutten also I believe trained submissions from Suzuki and Funaki in preparation for the Shamrock fights(he still got subbed but got way better on the ground from that training). That's what I read anyways.
    Yeah, he was being coached by Funaki in the first Shamrock fight, but was still completely outclassed. His commentary on that match is awesome, he says he didn't understand most of Funaki's instructions

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tyron Woodley vs Stephen 'Wonderboy' Thompson 2 for the Welterweight title has been confirmed to headline UFC 209.

It's shaping up to be a potentially good card - Woodley/Thompson, Hunt/Overeem and a potential Khabib/Ferguson fight for the interim LW title.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Random note:

Congrats to Jimy Hettes. He and his wonderful wife have announced they are expecting a boy.
    Now you're on the field callin' me an asshole, 'Cause I roped up your body like a lasso

And I could be just like Mr. HK, runnin' cause a melee
    Bring my team a W, I'm poppin' shots like Pele

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anderson Silva vs Derick Brunson set for UFC 208.

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Caught 2 really good shows on UFC Fight Pass tonight, Vale Tudo Japan 97 and Vale Tudo Japan 98, both shows were put on by Shooto. The Vale Tudo Japan 94 and 95 shows were two very pivotal shows in MMA history, both of them were also really good for their time(the 95 tournament was the focal point of the "Choke" Rickson Gracie docu). Some really good fights on these 97 and 98 shows. The 98 show has Randy Couture losing to Enson Inoue by armbar, this was pretty big for Shooto because Randy was the UFC Heavyweight Champ going into this fight. Says a lot about where the UFC was at this time with their champions going to Japan to fight for other promotions to get paid, Pat Miletich and Frank Shamrock both fought in Rings and Shooto while wearing UFC gold if I'm not mistaken. Huge win for Enson and Shooto by submitting Couture while he was reigning UFC Heavyweight Champ, this was after he got knocked out by Frank Shamrock at the VTJ 97 show in a pretty damn good scrap.

They still play defense? The Real LT's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please don't fight anymore BJ, that was just sad. Straight up target practice.

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a bad Bellator show last night. The Paul Daley KO was outstanding, spinning back elbow followed by a flying knee. Hated to see the other guy carted out on a stretcher, too many more of those and we will see knees outlawed. Lol at all the kids on the internet saying Chael vs Tito was fake, internet MMA "community" is such a joke, kids working at macdonalds posting about fake fights and how fat Ronda's ankles are while flipping burgers, pathetic and sad.

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In fairness even Dan Hardy thinks something was up with that fight

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing about it looked suspicious to me, plus the idiocy of Sonnen losing a fight in the worse possible way with big fights on the table down the road for Bellator, not to mention all of his own business, gyms, amateur promotions, seminars, personal appearances etc that he's been paying his bills and feeding his family with none of that benefits at all from him getting blown out of the water the way he did. I don't understand what the hell everybody was watching, maybe they just go into these big Bellator fights looking and hoping to see something worked. Anything that i've seen people specifically point to for a reason to be suspicious is straight up reaching pretty hard, some goofy shit.

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By the way, something that might interest you Shin is there's a guy on reddit posting up summaries of old Wrestling Observers from the 90s and apparently Meng from WCW was offered a fight at UFC 4

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hell yeah, I think i read that a while back but it's still awesome. Meng vs Keith Hackney, book that shit!

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mike Goldberg was on MMA Hour this week and it's pretty good:

Bellator should totally hire him, he's better than their guys for sure(not a Jimmy Smith fan, or whatever his name is).

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone watch the UFC on Fox tonight?

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I caught it but didn't think much of it. I'm a fan of women's MMA but even I got to say that was a weak main event for a Fox show. Hated to see Arlovski and Cerrone lose the way they did. Watching that show and looking at what's on tap for 2017 I can't help but think that Zuffa was pretty brilliant to cash out when they did. These new guys running the company now sure got their hands full with this roster and that schedule.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice looking armbar by Valentina.

vCash
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Takanoyama Shuntarō. Despite his small frame he was able to compete at the highest level of Sumo in Japan. He was renowned for his use of adapted Judo techniques and incredible base and balance.

Credit: Araibira Sumo https://youtu.be/2Gp_mhW6yLk
    I am your God

Thread Information