Page 59 of 69 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,475 of 1718

Thread: General MMA Discussion Thread

Josh Dionio

Default Re: General Discussion, News, & Fight Announcement Thread

Diaz GSP sounds like money with the winner facing the winner of Woodley Lawler.
    Holm Tate 2 would be great for Dana so he can have Holm Rousey 2 for the belt if Holm wins.
    Conor vs. Frankie makes sense and it allows Frankie to finally get his title shot.

Josh Dionio

Matt Mittrione announced on the MMA hour that he's signed with Bellator.

http://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/matt-...-bellator-mma/

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have serious doubts GSP is ever coming back so I'm not holding my breath for him at UFC 200 especially to fight Nate Diaz. I think in the end we are still dealing with the same old Nate Diaz who if thrown in the ring with a guy with decent wrestling and a game plan will beat Nate. I keep reading website talking about the rise of Nate Diaz which is hilarious. He beat Michael Johnson and the featherweight champion at welterweight He had a much more impressive string of wins when he was on the hunt for the LW title before getting obliterated by Bendo in a lopsided beat down.

I know there is some talk that RDA wants to fight Lawler in a superfight which just annoys me. First off, RDA has made 1 title defense. I don't think I would exactly call anything involving him a true "super fight". Just build up a few title defense in your own weight class guy before all the super fight talk. Also I don't see why Tyron Woodley deserves a title shot over some other guys in the division. Thompson and Maia have impressed me far more than Woodley and both have longer win streaks than Woodley. Plus I just find Woodley to be dull as shit most of the time. Whatever though, Condit didn't deserve the last title shot he got either and in my book he defeated Lawler so if Woodley gets the title shot it won't be that absurd in comparison to Condit getting it.

If I were booking UFC 200 and had to book it realistically I would go Mcgregor/Edgar, Tate/Holm 2, Lawler/Condit 2, Nate Diaz/Eddie Alvarez, Holloway/Aldo. Three title fights and two title eliminator fights.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dose View Post
    Word is GSP is interested in fighting Nate Diaz but Dana wants to sell Diaz vs Lawler...

http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/d...-lawler-030716

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nate-di...QDBHNlYwNzYw--

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/3/10...a-firas-zahabi

I would rather see Woodley vs Lawler.
    Are you related to Tryon Woodley? Seeing the words "rather see Woodley" isn't something I see anybody ever say...ever about Woodley

vCash
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking forward to the NCAA Wrestling National Championships this weekend on ESPN. Semis are on Friday night and finals are prime time on Saturday night. These are always interesting, though I admit the last time I watched one Funky Ben Askren won the title. That was a decade ago.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a couple of interesting notes...

Barao is moving up to 145. Very good thing for him. Dude always looked like he was about to pass out on the scale at weigh ins.

Also Travis Browne vs. Cain is heavily rumored to be on for UFC 200. That sounds like a lot of fun.

RDA still pushing to be on the UFC 200 card against either Lawler or Diaz. Ugh. Dude just beat the hell out of Diaz two fights ago so I don't get that one other than he thinks he can get a bigger pay day with Diaz and perhaps an easy win. and fighting Robbie is just kind of meh for me. I just don't like super fight talk when RDA has only made one title defense.

Also Cyborg is looking more and more likely to debut in the UFC at 198 in Brazil. Of course this isn't the first time it's seemed likely she would fight but people are talking about her again at least.

vCash
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seeing rumors on Twitter that Zuffa is being offered $6 billion to sell the UFC to a Chinese media company. I doubt this is true, but it really wouldn't surprise me at all to see the UFC change ownership/sold within the next 2-3 years.

vCash
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 170 lb division got flipped upside down with top seed losing in early rounds.
    I am your God

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edgar gets fucked over yet again. Diaz vs. Conor is being set up for UFC 200. Fuck this company.

vCash
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man, what are they doing? RIP 145 lb division. It was fun while it lasted.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UFC trying to get Conor to avenge that loss so fast is just so damn annoying. I see no other reason for them to make that match up other for them to say Conor only lost because it was short notice in a weight class he hadn't competed in before. Whatever at this point I'm actually ready to root for Diaz over Conor. Never thought I'd be cheering for a diaz but here we are.

vCash
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm thinking that the cut to 145 is just something that Conor can't do anymore. He looked like a different person when he weighed in at 170 for Diaz. At 145 he legitimately looks like a crackhead who has been up for a few days on a binge, ashy lips, sunken in face, etc.

Some bizarre booking for sure though, starting with the Dos Anjos matchup imo, we went from him vs Dos Anjos for 155 title to him vs Diaz at 170 on a few days notice, he loses that one, now we're doing a rematch at 155 next. They gained nothing from the first fight other than the big buyrates and live gate, going forward for the future Diaz vs McGregor did nothing for anyone. Diaz beat the Featherweight Champion in a Welterweight fight thrown together in 10 days, McGregor gets exposed and his aura is gone, all of the momentum of the 145 pound division is lost, so lets do a rematch!

With that said though, the first fight was awesome, I'm sure the rematch will be fun. I just think it's a pretty clear sign that the UFC is giving up on the smaller weight classes, 125, 135, and 145 are going to be put on the backburner, I'm ok with them doing that with 125-135, you got a few big 135 pound fights coming up but after that the division is shallow as fuck, you got the biggest fight probably in the history of the 125 lb division coming up and nobody really cares about it. I just think 145 is different and they had something special going that is now gone. Frankie Edgar might as well move back up to 155.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 03-18-2016 at 11:03 PM.

Ghost

I want to say one thing, I called Diaz by submission in Fight 1.

This time around, I'm going McGregor by TKO. It ain't easy beating a Diaz by TKO/KO, but Connor is going to go in in fight 2.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If this bullshit fight happens at 200, then Conor needs to drop that fucking title. If they don't force it, then it's some bigger bullshit than it already was. The "C" really does stand for Conor. And why is the fucking fight at Welterweight? Diaz has been fighting at lightweight, up until the last fight, his last fight at Welterweight was 5 years ago. What the fuck ever.

Josh Dionio

Per Ariel Helwani in regards to Diaz McGregor 2 for UFC 200:

Says that reports of only a verbal agreement are not true, contracts have actually been issued.

Fight is happening at 170 because McGregor is a "wildman". He is obsessed that he lost to Nate at 170 and feels he should have won, wants the same rules as the first fight.

Reports that the fight as of yet is unconfirmed and still just a rumour are not true. When he says "in the works and targeted" the only reason he isn't saying it's official is because he has enough respect for the UFC to let them officially announce it. All parties involved want this fight.

Official announcement expected this week.
    Shoot me now....

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ugh. Just ugh. UFC really can't get Conors dick out of their mouth. Come on nate, knock this fucker out so the UFC will have to move on. Also if Conor has no desire to make weight anymore then have him just drop the title.

So I guess the only move to make right now since the almight Mcgregor doesn't want to make weight and defend the featherweight title is at least for now have Frankie vs. Aldo for the interim title. If dumb fuck Conor then decides to grace the featherweight division again then so be it, if he doesn't bother to defend it again then force him to drop that shit. He loses to Diaz though again his allure is dead and buried. Please god let that happen. I've never wanted Nate Diaz to win a fight but I'm so pulling for him to take conors best punches and laugh right in his fucking face. Bad fight for Conor to take again anyways. He had Diaz on short notice and now your getting him after a full training camp. Better be working on them leg kicks Conor.

Josh Dionio

Quote Originally Posted by vendrell View Post
    Better be working on them leg kicks Conor.
    That, takedown and BJJ defense, maybe more. Seriously, Dana needs to stop the cock sucking on Conor and tell him he needs to defend the belt.

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Dionio View Post
    That, takedown and BJJ defense, maybe more. Seriously, Dana needs to stop the cock sucking on Conor and tell him he needs to defend the belt.
    Mainly just take downs, BJJ, and keeping his god damn hands up. He was well destroying Diaz, but guy's got too much confidence in his chin, hopefully now that he's seen he's not made out of granite, he actually works on defense as well as offense. The hands thing has always driven me crazy for such a talented guy, I knew it was only a matter of time before he found the punch that got him.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Dynamite
    Sometimes a terrible idea is the best idea you got, and one thing I've learned, is always go with the best idea you got.

Josh Dionio

It's been announced that Cris "Cyborg" Justino will face Leslie "The Peacemaker" Smith at UFC 198 in Brazil at an 140 lbs catchweight.

http://www.ufc.com/news/Cyborg-Makes...but-at-UFC-198

vCash
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn, Paige Van Zant(sp?) is killing it right now on Dancing with the Stars. That girl is just too damn hawt. I'm guessing that she is probably done with fighting after this show though. Good for her.

vCash
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fight Pass uploaded a bunch of shit lately, including the first 8 or so Pancrase shows from 93-94, a shit ton of King of the Cage and Cage Rage, even a few full Glory Kickboxing shows. Too sweeeeeeeet.

Also read something cool from an old Wrestling Observer Newsletter from 1988, this was in one of the letters to the Observer:

I don't know how closely you follow amateur wrestling, but one of my responsibilities as a sports-writer is covering amateur wrestling, including the Adirondack Freestyle Wrestling Association. That's the group that produced Jeff Blatnick and two other 1984 Olympic Greco-Roman Olympians, Frank Famiano and Chris Catatto. The reason I mention this is in November they held the Greco-Roman world Cup here and the Soviet 286-pounder was the prototypical .Russian Nightmare. that Crockett and McMahon could only dream of. The kid's name is Alexasandr Kardan, 21-years-old, 6-foot-4, 273 pounds and the local team doctor tole me he had .as little percentage of body fat on him as I've ever seen on a human being.. He was very impressive. He threw Blatnick twice, including an awesome five-pointer. Very scary.
    Pretty sure he's talking about Aleksandr Karelin, who went on to win gold medals in the 1988, 1992, and 1996 Olympics(silver in 2000 after he lost to Rulon Gardner). That's wild that he was throwing Jeff Blatnick(who won gold in 84) with 5 point throws at 21. What a beast.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 03-31-2016 at 10:00 PM.

Josh Dionio

Well, Cormier just pulled out of the title match with Jon. http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/u...ufc-197-040116

AKA strikes again!

vCash
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn, they have uploaded a shit ton of classic Pancrase to the Fight Pass, I'm freaking out right now.

Mass producing jeremy. Jerm factory's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Mir came up positive for a banned substance and will likely be suspended for two years which he says will be retirement for him. He's also claiming he has no idea how he failed the drug test. I will say he came in with quite a burger gut in that last fight. This is probably a blessing though, guy needs to retire. He's not getting any younger, he's peaked and he can't keep up with the division.

vCash
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerm factory View Post
    So Mir came up positive for a banned substance and will likely be suspended for two years which he says will be retirement for him. He's also claiming he has no idea how he failed the drug test. I will say he came in with quite a burger gut in that last fight. This is probably a blessing though, guy needs to retire. He's not getting any younger, he's peaked and he can't keep up with the division.
    Why would he retire? Because he's not top 20 in the world?
    Still a lot of fights out there, fun and competition to be had.
    I am your God

Thread Information