Thread: The Thing I Don't Get About SummerSlam

Default The Thing I Don't Get About SummerSlam

This thread is coming from a purely kayfabe perspective, and I am referring to the on-screen characters of HHH and Orton. What exactly was their goal at SummerSlam? It seems that WWE is pushing the story that they were out to screw Bryan specifically. But how did they know that Bryan was going to win? What if Cena had won? Would they have done the same thing to him? Was this just about making Orton the champ/face of the WWE, regardless of who won the match?

Greatest Champion Ever The Champ's Avatar

Default Re: The Thing I Don't Get About SummerSlam

Vince didn't want EITHER Cena or Bryan to be champion.

So I assume that, story-wise, it would have happened the same way had Cena won.

HAYZE

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Heyman
    My client, Brock Lesnar, conquered the Streak.
    This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

Quote Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
    Vince didn't want EITHER Cena or Bryan to be champion.

So I assume that, story-wise, it would have happened the same way had Cena won.
    Which makes no sense regarding Cena. Cena has been champion off and on for years, and Vince never had a problem with it. Likewise, Vince never saw Randy as the face of the WWE before. Suddenly, these things just became revelations to him?

If cena had won, probably nothing would've happened as cena is an A+ for them, but now that Bryan won they did it to insure another A+ gets the title. Orton said he didn't need the help of mcmahons so it means that they do it on their own kayfabe wise so take it like you see it.

Thanks to Bender and Stefan.

This is the WWE, things don't need to make sense.

Vince said to Bryan on Raw a few weeks before Summerslam that he'd like it best if somehow neither he nor Cena walked out as champion. I took that as a clue right away that Orton was cashing in. So my guess is that Triple H would have dropped Cena as well, especially since it was Cena that Orton personally assured "would never see it coming" in regards to his cash in.

Greatest Champion Ever The Champ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thalbleib View Post
    Which makes no sense regarding Cena. Cena has been champion off and on for years, and Vince never had a problem with it. Likewise, Vince never saw Randy as the face of the WWE before. Suddenly, these things just became revelations to him?
    If you want to analyze every inconsistency based on the past few years, we'd be here all day.

You have to take it in the context of the current storyline.

HAYZE

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Heyman
    My client, Brock Lesnar, conquered the Streak.
    This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

If you don't want to believe that McMahon hates Cena, then you could just assume that if he had won, there would have been no cash-in or pedigree.

"I don't want John Cena to be champion, but I want you (Daniel Bryan) to be champion even less" was the statement I remember. If Cena won, hypothetically, maybe nothing happens, or maybe the same thing happens.

"I like cake."

Quote Originally Posted by MrAndersons Mic View Post
    Im posting my thoughts not for them to be debated or argued against. I would like for folks to understand and agree with my point of view while throwing dookie at the McMahons and laughing at it.

I think Vince never liked Cena as champ but he just accepted it because he was "good enough" and tolerated him. When Bryan got selected to face him though he clearly had issues with the thought that Bryan would be the face of his company as WWE Champion should he defeat Cena. The only out he would have had should Bryan win is to have the Money in the Bank winner cash in, which just so happened to be Randy Orton.

-Fresh Prince-
    Chief Ass Whooper of Sorry Sons of Bitches! - Stone Cold Steve Austin

McMahon's onscreen relationship with Cena has been tolerable.
    It's showtime, folks!

HHH stated in his promo he did not do what he did to help Orton. HHH actually said he doesn't really like Orton, and her mentioned their bad blood/history together.
    Wildfire Tommy Rich for WWE HOF 2014

Banned

Probably happens to Cena too. It's all part of HHH's kayfabe ploy to trick Vince and oust him,leading Vince to back Daniel Bryan and get control of the title and the company back.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Perfect View Post
    HHH stated in his promo he did not do what he did to help Orton. HHH actually said he doesn't really like Orton, and her mentioned their bad blood/history together.
    This as well as Orton hugging Stephanie was a very nice touch. Good to see them actually acknowledge previous events for a change, especially since we are talking about things that happened years ago.

It's all about what is "best for business."

Hunter never turned, the fans turned on him and his idea.
    - Credit to JV.
    THE KWF

"No WWE talent becomes a legend on their own. Every man's heart one day beats its final beat; his lungs breathe their final breath. And if what that man did in his life makes the blood pulse through the body of others and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory."

RIP WARRIOR

HHH certainly did turn. He led everyone to believe he was on Daniel Bryan's side, against his own father, when in fact the opposite was true.

It's how the script was written.

Reading too much into it. If you want to TRY to force some artificial sense out of it. They "felt" there was a chance Bryan could win (especially with Cena's injury) and if he did, they were prepared to take action to make sure he didn't stay champion because he doesn't fit the look of a face of their company.

But the reality is, that with Cena out, this is the script that was written.

The story makes sense to me. 1) Either Orton was just insurance in case Bryan won and was only supposed to come out if the title changed hands or 2) Orton was told to take out either guy, regardless of who won because they didn't want Bryan as the "face" of the company but if Cena won he'd have to vacate the title due to his injury and Vince and HHH didn't want to deal with a vacated title. Both scenarios make sense. I n the end though, it doesn't matter what Orton's orders were to do. He followed orders, cashed in and is aligned with Vince and HHH.

Thread Information