View Poll Results: How would you grade John Cena's 2013?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • A+

3 11.54%
  • A

5 19.23%
  • (Solid) B+

6 23.08%
  • B

7 26.92%
  • C+

1 3.85%
  • C

4 15.38%
  • D

0 0%
  • F

0 0%

Thread: John Cena's 2013 and Where He Goes from Here

We the People's Champion The Champ's Avatar

Lightbulb John Cena's 2013 and Where He Goes from Here

On the New Year's Eve edition of Raw last year, John Cena promised that after all his failures in 2012, that 2013 would be his year.

Well, his year is now most likely over due to his incoming triceps surgery, which will apparently keep him out until Mania season.

Now, I'd say that this year was somewhat of a mixed bag for Cena. He started it off great, with his second Rumble win, an amazing match of the year candidate with CM Punk, and some equally amazing promo work with The Rock. That was all capped off at WrestleMania when he achieved probably the biggest victory of his career by finally beating The Rock clean, bringing a two-plus year rivalry to a close in a match that got very mixed reviews.

Things started to go downhill from there, as a reign that I had hoped would be on par with his 2007 reign wasn't exactly that. His feud with Ryback showed promise at the start but became very mediocre very quickly, and while their Extreme Rules match was very good, their Payback match wasn't so much.

Then he had a feud with Henry that really only had one standout moment, that being Henry's fake retirement speech, and was capped off by a fairly cringeworthy match in which they tried to make us believe, yet again, that Cena couldn't lift a big guy.

But then he redeemed the reign a bit at the end with a very nice feud and match with Daniel Bryan, ending in him passing the torch that The Rock gave him at Mania to Bryan, to become the company's number one babyface in his absence.

So where does Cena go when he comes back? He's getting older, and while he can still get it done in the ring, the injuries are really catching up with him. There's no clear direction for him at Mania like there was last year. I'd love to see the Undertaker match finally happen, but I just don't know if it's in the cards.

But even beyond that, does he immediately re-assume the mantle of being the top guy? Or will Bryan truly become the Rock to Cena's Austin, and maintain equal footing with him for the long haul?

Also, what are your thoughts on Cena's year now that, for the time being, RTime=Over?

Bender

This will remain in my sig until The Rock gets his WWE World Heavyweight Championship rematch.

Banned

Default Re: John Cena's 2013 and Where He Goes from Here

He gets an A

I see the new corporate ministry forming. Nobody can stop them, they make the rules and they break the rules. Cena comes back. people automatically assume he's cena, he ain't having that. Instead, he joins them turns heel, everyone goes home happy...

Meh he's been ok, the stuff with Bryan was cool but there have been better headliners in other companies this year.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

MO to the G to the UNS! BadNewsFan's Avatar

I've gotta go solid B+ for Cena.

Character wise there was nothing new whatsoever, but he did have a major career defining moment by beating one third of the holy trinity of WWE all time faces at Mania when he finally pinned Rock for the gold.

And two sure fire match of the year canidates with Punk on Raw and a classic with Bryan at SummerSlam.

So those matches alone are enough to give him a B+ that's actually very close to an A-, and would have likely gotten one if the year wasn't cut short.

Solid work, but lack of character development yet again keeps him from reaching greater heights IMO.

Shout out to Bender for the Bad Ass Bad News Banner!

Quote Originally Posted by BadNewsFan View Post
    I've gotta go solid B+ for Cena.

Character wise there was nothing new whatsoever, but he did have a major career defining moment by beating one third of the holy trinity of WWE all time faces at Mania when he finally pinned Rock for the gold.

And two sure fire match of the year canidates with Punk on Raw and a classic with Bryan at SummerSlam.

So those matches alone are enough to give him a B+ that's actually very close to an A-, and would have likely gotten one if the year wasn't cut short.

Solid work, but lack of character development yet again keeps him from reaching greater heights IMO.
    Pretty much the exact same as what I was basing my decision to give him a B+ on.

I really enjoyed his matches with Punk and Bryan. Other than that everything else he did for the entire year bored me to tears. I was going to give him a C but due to the fact he put surgery on hold and wrestled with that ridiculous elbow bumped him to a B out of respect.

Rock/Cena was atrociously bad. = F
    Cena/Ryback = D
    Cena/Henry = C
    Character development = F minus
    Elbow = A+
    Punk match = A
    Bryan match = A

My average probably doesnt add up but I'll give him a B anyway

I know he usually stays out for very short periods of time but if for some reason its 6 months we might get a Cenaless WM. I doubt this will be the case but interesting if it were to happen

I am not threatened by any man whose name is three letters.

- Damien Sandow
    in response to RVD's return

I don't think I could give someone a "A" having only wrestled for just over half a year. But, he's done so damn impressive stuff this year, IMO. His matches with Punk and Bryan especially have shown once again that if in the ring with the right guy, Cena can go. His promo work with The Rock was very impressive. As was his promo work with Bryan on the last Raw before Summerslam. I wasn't a big fan of his feud with Ryback, but I think that's more to do with Ryback than anything else. His feud with Henry was decent if not spectacular. He also won the Royal Rumble. I think he definitely deserves a "B" for this year.
    Thanks too Fresh Prince

The rematch with Rocky felt too forced. He didn't need to win the Rumble. He could have just issued the challenge. And post-Mania the feud with Ryback hurt him. The stuff with Mark henry and Bryan was great though. Solid B+

There is only one solid B+

Thread Information