Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Darren Young comes out as gay

Default Darren Young comes out as gay

http://www.tmz.com/2013/08/15/darren...superstar-gay/

I'm really happy about this. In the sense that he could potentially become a great role model for gay kids in the WWE Universe. Fingers crossed Vince doesn't turn him into a caricature.

Very pleased that Darren is comfortable enough to admit it in the wrestling business.

-surrender-

Default Re: Darren Young comes out as gay

Good on him! And yep, really hope they don't turn him into a caricature.

WOW is all that comes to mind. So was that really his "coming out" in a simple 3 minute TMZ story, because if this was his coming out that's a huge story for the world of pro-wrestling.

And I hope everything works for him, but coming out didn't help Orlando Jordan, and it really, really killed Chris Kanyon's career.
    Wildfire Tommy Rich for WWE HOF 2014

Good for him to feel comfortable to come out now. Big positive step for the business. I know Stephanie is big on LGBT issues and he'll have support from management.

And don't worry, WWE won't turn him into a joke like TNA did with Orlando Jordan. The business/society has changed since Kanyon came out a decade ago.

Is Pat Patterson not openly gay? Or is he the 'old school gay' where everybody knows but nobody talks about it.

TMZ are calling Young the first openly gay wrestler.
    Bring back the fourth wall

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Perfect View Post
    WOW is all that comes to mind. So was that really his "coming out" in a simple 3 minute TMZ story, because if this was his coming out that's a huge story for the world of pro-wrestling.

And I hope everything works for him, but coming out didn't help Orlando Jordan, and it really, really killed Chris Kanyon's career.
    Those examples are what makes me afraid of what they can potentially do with these news, so hopefully the do not make him the gay wrestler, who's primary and only characteristic is that he's gay, and instead if they do decide to use this they do it more subtly. Or they could continue letting D-Young be himself with Primetime Players as he has been thoroughly entertaining in that role.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

Knows he isn't welcome

Good for him, makes me glad to see him do this.

This is gonna be a huge test for WWE, let's see if things have really changed for the better with this company.
    That's all, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Push Goldust View Post
    Is Pat Patterson not openly gay? Or is he the 'old school gay' where everybody knows but nobody talks about it.

Pretty sure Pat is openly gay. Came out many years after competing as an active wrestler though.

Quote Originally Posted by Push Goldust View Post

Well with Pat, people backstage knew but whilst he was wrestling, the fans didn't know or anything. He came out (to the fans) after retirement, during the Attitude Era when he was one of the stooges.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwolf View Post

This is gonna be a huge test for WWE, let's see if things have really changed for the better with this company.
    Exactly. Strictly speaking unless he is booked in the exact same way, or pushed (to promote the normality of being gay) with zero gay references or slurs... then WWE still don't know how to handle this.
    Bring back the fourth wall

PW Tag Team Champion!! HilaryFan's Avatar

Very good for him. Really hope the business has matured enough that nothing changes for him after this. Even to be pushed just because he is gay is very, very wrong IMO. Being gay or straight should have zero bearing on his character or his push.

Push him because they are a good team

( ?_?) - 97% of PW suddenly think Michael Cole is awesome. If you're part of the 3% that still thinks he is an annoying tool, copy & paste this into your sig.

Currently Playing: Suikoden 1, Max Payne 1, Beyond Good and Evil, MGS Peace Walker

RIP Oscar Taveras :( SM(Stardust)'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwolf View Post

Yeah, it will be interesting to see how WWE handles this.

I hope they keep his character the same with maybe a few tweaks if they decide to let the audience know on tv that he is gay. Speaking of that, I hope they do let people know as it could be a huge positive for wrestling if handled right.

surrender

PW Tag Team Champion!! HilaryFan's Avatar

As long as we don't get anything stereotypical like him suddenly being camp as the hills or slapping the Great Khalis bum. I know people say often they would stop watching and don't follow through but I am telling you now if we get anything even resembling TNA Orlando I really would stop watching.

I am very very confident though that in the image conscious world of WWE 2013 that is will be handled very well and could really be a start of real acceptance in the wrestling world

( ?_?) - 97% of PW suddenly think Michael Cole is awesome. If you're part of the 3% that still thinks he is an annoying tool, copy & paste this into your sig.

Currently Playing: Suikoden 1, Max Payne 1, Beyond Good and Evil, MGS Peace Walker

They have a pretty close relationship with GLAAD atm, don't they? (through their Be a Star campaign). Would be a massive mistake to sour that relationship by doing anything silly. But with the WWE you never know. Really hope they do this the right way this time, though. It is 2013 - things have changed a lot in the last decade or so.

Proud of Darren Young for coming out. And I'll be proud of WWE if they resist the urge to make him a caricature. If this does gain some attention or some wins for the Prime Time Players (who are probably one of my favourite acts in the WWE right now), then I'll be good with that too (as long as its because they're good and not strictly because Darren's come out (cause if its because of the latter, than its going to cool off REALLY fast)).

I'm not exactly suprised. Always felt he had the 'Gay Face' since I first saw him.
    Bow before Da Look. Resistance is Futile.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcone View Post
    I'm not exactly suprised. Always felt he had the 'Gay Face' since I first saw him.
    Gay face?

But then there was always this:

Spoiler

Good for Darren. I really don't see this hurting him in this current period where WWE is emphasizing their outreach and influence through social media, TMZ, E!, etc. It's different times now.

I KNEW IT!

Good for him, glad he's comfortable enough to do this. Agree with everyone else, hope the WWE handle it well.

Awkward...

Current ESPN personality Jonathan Coachman was employed by WWE for nearly a decade and says homosexuality is not an issue in the locker room.

“I spent ten years in the WWE and there were several openly gay wrestlers and some of our old school guys as well,” he said on his radio show, per SB Nation. “Never an issue and not only were we getting naked in front of each other, but we were wrestling each other in the ring and it wasn’t an issue.”
    http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/...unces-hes-gay/
    Last edited by Stefan; 08-15-2013 at 08:11 AM.

Im not remotely as concerned about what WWE will do with Young now as much how he'll be treated by fans in the arena. Regardless of how "fake" we all know the business to be, a lot of fans can be downright immature and vicious. Can you imagine the shit that's gonna get yelled at the Prime Time Players when they go out to the ring now? And I shutter to think what's gonna happen when they go down south.

Overall, I'm happy for the guy because everyone deserves to live there life openly and freely.

(^*-_-*^)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hustle View Post
    Im not remotely as concerned about what WWE will do with Young now as much how he'll be treated by fans in the arena. Regardless of how "fake" we all know the business to be, a lot of fans can be downright immature and vicious. Can you imagine the shit that's gonna get yelled at the Prime Time Players when they go out to the ring now? And I shutter to think what's gonna happen when they go down south.

Overall, I'm happy for the guy because everyone deserves to live there life openly and freely.
    I think he knows exactly what he's gonna have to deal with when it comes to the fans.

If he was worried about how the fans would react, then he probably wouldn't have came out publically.

Not someone who i'd have thought was gay but good on him for coming out. I think this'll be handled a lot better then it has in the past. As multiple people have said, it's a different time now, society has vastly changed.

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz
    I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am than love me for something i'm not
    Quote Originally Posted by Oncall's brain
    There is no conspiracy, WWE isn't burying Ambrose
    Episode 5 of "Sittin down for a chat with Oncall" with special guest BigRed

The countdown has begun, see where your favourite season landed

Good for him. Hopefully there is a day when people don't have to "come out".

Thread Information